Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha. well the one against everton in the 4-4 draw at OT or vs madrid are the two that stick out most. his finish against west brom from the left side of the box to the far corner and his two goals against swansea. he scored goals when played as a CF and ive always felt he offered something we do not have, pace and physique up front.

the player that i saw at sunderland on loan was going to be better than how we used him imo.

The first goal was in a result that many say lost us the league. Nice debating skills!

I wouldn't say that, these youngsters have their egos stroked if they're in anyway good enough.
i guess so. it would be wrong to assume that just because we've sold welbeck that we are going to sell all our young promising players and turn into real madrid. but the welbeck one is hard to take given that he is talented and we didnt make the best use of his talents and didnt give him a fair chance imo.

The first goal was in a result that many say lost us the league. Nice debating skills!
it brought us back into the game when we were losing 1-0 and then we kept scoring and scored 4. i think welbeck cant be blamed for bad defending. or is that his fault as well?

haha. well the one against everton in the 4-4 draw at OT or vs madrid are the two that stick out most. his finish against west brom from the left side of the box to the far corner and his two goals against swansea. he scored goals when played as a CF and ive always felt he offered something we do not have, pace and physique up front.

the player that i saw at sunderland on loan was going to be better than how we used him imo.

The problem with Welbeck is that he never attacks defenders and uses his physical attributes. Timid player with a bad goal-scoring record.

i guess so. it would be wrong to assume that just because we've sold welbeck that we are going to sell all our young promising players and turn into real madrid. but the welbeck one is hard to take given that he is talented and we didnt make the best use of his talents and didnt give him a fair chance imo.
If the youngsters are good enough they'll play, if not they'll be moved on. Welbeck was no exception.

it brought us back into the game when we were losing 1-0 and then we kept scoring and scored 4. i think welbeck cant be blamed for bad defending. or is that his fault as well?

No, but if that's his contribution then he's a bit part player.

What are you on about? :lol: Centre-forwards at top clubs need to score goals, pure and simple. Should I compare Welbeck to Park now? Yeah, both have excellent work rate but at least Park scored important goals! :lol:

Wow 2 laughing smileys, I see you know your football well.

If Danny was as bad as you suggest then let's see what impact his loss has on our other forwards. Will Wayne up his work rate now that he hasn't got someone covering his work load? He'd better get fit as you can be sure RVP or Falcao aren't going to do it for him. Having a "better goal scorer" doesn't always lead to more goals or winning more games.

Still trying to figure out this transfer...Alot of people are saying he wanted to go, he was not go enough etc.

But selling him to Arsenal is so reckless. We have spent a huge amount to get back into the champions league, yet we sell our rivals a striker when it seem like they were going to be screwed in that position for several months.

Welbeck may not indirectly take points from us, but he could be difference maker in Arsenal finishing above us. Would that 16m have been worth it?Would rather we sold him to Sunderland for 10m

If Danny was as bad as you suggest then let's see what impact his loss has on our other forwards. Will Wayne up his work rate now that he hasn't got someone covering his work load? He'd better get fit as you can be sure RVP or Falcao aren't going to do it for him. Having a "better goal scorer" doesn't always lead to more goals or winning more games.
Never said Welbeck was bad, I said he wasn't good enough to consistently play centre-forward for Manchester United. And I'm right.

Still trying to figure out this transfer...Alot of people are saying he wanted to go, he was not go enough etc.

But selling him to Arsenal is so reckless. We have spent a huge amount to get back into the champions league, yet we sell our rivals a striker when it seem like they were going to be screwed in that position for several months.

Welbeck may not indirectly take points from us, but he could be difference maker in Arsenal finishing above us. Would that 16m have been worth it?Would rather we sold him to Sunderland for 10m

I think the preference was to sell him to a bottom 10 club but he had his heart set on Arsenal once there was interest.

Well, it can't lead to us scoring less goals and winning less games anyway.

If the youngsters are good enough they'll play, if not they'll be moved on. Welbeck was no exception.

Yep. Welbeck is a one goal in four games player, that's not good enough. We are at a critical junction in our history, we are still 'Post Fergie' and we have to go that extra mile to bridge the gap back to being competitive. Falcao has the tools to do that, and Welbeck doesn't.

His 1 in 4 stats are pretty consistent until two years ago, there has been no marked improvement, in fact the opposite is true, in his last 79 games he halved that ratio and scored 12 goals.

he gave the bayern defenders plenty of
someone can be good enough at center half and hes constantly played at wing back he might be abysmal. doesnt mean hes a bad player.

I think the preference was to sell him to a bottom 10 club but he had his heart set on Arsenal once there was interest.

SAF would never entertain the idea of him going to rivals, regardless if he wanted to go. Let him sit in the stands, but dont sell him to a top 4 club.

i dont see the logic in that.

Some parts are more important than others seems to be the mistaken belief on here.

Never heard of synergy I suppose and think 3 number 9 forwards = loads of goals.

i dont see the logic in that.

The Bayern game was without doubt the best thing he did in a United shirt, but he missed a sitter that would have changed the tie.

The logic you miss is that when asked to list importat goals you listed the 2nd of four in a home game we drew and many say lost us the game, it's not the anecdote of champions in fairness.

The problem with Welbeck is that he never attacks defenders and uses his physical attributes. Timid player with a bad goal-scoring record.
i think he had started playing aggressively which i saw particularly in the bayern game. its harder to display physical attributes as a winger which is where he played most his games.

Has there been any kind of unveiling or interview yet like we do for our new signings? Will there be?

Some parts are more important than others seems to be the mistaken belief on here.

Never heard of Synergy I suppose and think 3 number 9 forwards = loads of goals.

He was outstanding in that game and still missed a sitter. Synergy is a nice word. Danny for all his effort, power and pace came up short over his time here.

All because falcao was available on a loan.

Staggering short termism.
... aaand because of his limited potential. He's never going to be the great striker we need with that kind of finishing (imo), and while his finishing might still improve, it doesn't look that likely to keep him unhappy at United as he struggles to find playing time in the next two years.

I get the emotional part of it, but football-wise, I don't think it was a bad decision by the club. Sure we would have preferred to have sent him to another club (especially after Wenger blocked the Vermaelen deal), but in the end it was Welbeck himself who wanted to go to Arsenal, and we granted his wish even though we didn't like it, which is why I think we should feel guilt-free in the end.

someone can be good enough at center half and hes constantly played at wing back he might be abysmal. doesnt mean hes a bad player.
Not bad, but still not good enough to justify a starting spot as Manchester United's centre-forward.

I've said my piece anyway, I find myself repeating a lot.

I wasn't happy to see Welbeck leave, but I completely understand the reasoning for selling him as he wasn't prepared to be a squad player, which is all he would have been with us.

He was outstanding in that game and still missed a sitter. Synergy is a nice word. Danny for all his effort, power and pace came up short over his time here.
The Chip on Neuer was a prime example. Worked really hard, got into a great position and lacked the composure required at the top level. If he had scored that things may have been different.

i think he had started playing aggressively which i saw particularly in the bayern game. its harder to display physical attributes as a winger which is where he played most his games.

Every chance he's had, he's failed to be the difference in a game. I think that is why he isn't selected as a striker ahead of Rooney and Van Persie.

Never heard of synergy I suppose and think 3 number 9 forwards = loads of goals.
i think we will know a lot more about him with this move. it will be very unfortunate if our forwards dont click because they are too similar and welback ends up doing well in an aresnal side that plays with him at the focal point of the attack. .

I've never been a huge fan, but still feel sad. Sad too about the fact that we seem to have turned into Chelsea or City.

Which isn't to say I won't enjoy seeing the new players and want them to do well - there's just that little grain of disappointment in the way things are going. But there's also excitement. Mixed feelings really, with more excitment than sadness, but even so...

The Chip on Neuer was a prime example. Worked really hard, got into a great position and lacked the composure required at the top level. If he had scored that things may have been different.

Fully agree. You got the feeling he was going to miss, whereas you get the feeling Ruud, Robin and Wayne would have scored.

The Bayern game was without doubt the best thing he did in a United shirt, but he missed a sitter that would have changed the tie.

The logic you miss is that when asked to list importat goals you listed the 2nd of four in a home game we drew and many say lost us the game, it's not the anecdote of champions in fairness.

Didn't Wayne scuff a great chance in that game too?

Yep. Welbeck is a one goal in four games player, that's not good enough. We are at a critical junction in our history, we are still 'Post Fergie' and we have to go that extra mile to bridge the gap back to being competitive. Falcao has the tools to do that, and Welbeck doesn't.

His 1 in 4 stats are pretty consistent until two years ago, there has been no marked improvement, in fact the opposite is true, in his last 79 games he halved that ratio and scored 12 goals.

But you have to utilise some critical analysis. You must realise that a part of the reason for those goal scoring statistics is because he did not play centre forward.

It's this new thing in football to think that players can play in a variety of positions. Just because Welbeck has some of the attributes to be a good winger, doesn't mean he is a good winger. Being played conistently as a striker may have a significant impact on that goal scoring record.

Would he be good enough to be a United striker? I don't know, he never got the chance. But the coaches probably do know and if they've made the choice he isn't, then fair enough. But to spout his current goal scoring record as if it pains a fair picture is terrible critical analysis.

I've never been a huge fan, but still feel sad. Sad too about the fact that we seem to have turned into Chelsea or City.

Which isn't to say I won't enjoy seeing the new players and want them to do well - there's just that little grain of disappointment in the way things are going. But there's also excitement. Mixed feelings really, with more excitment than sadness, but even so...
I wouldn't say that just yet, we still have Evans, Fletcher, Rafael and Januzaj vying for first team spots. With players like Wilson and Janko potentially on the brink.

Not bad, but still not good enough to justify a starting spot as Manchester United's centre-forward.

I've said my piece anyway, I find myself repeating a lot.

I wasn't happy to see Welbeck leave, but I completely understand the reasoning for selling him as he wasn't prepared to be a squad player, which is all he would have been with us.
yeah..ive repeated the same things too. im tired of it. welbeck is just one player and its not the end of the world. fergie wouldnt have done things the way they have gone down recently and that worries me. time will tell whether this was the right decision or not.

it's needed though to stay competitive. Can Gaal was always one go look to the future but he also seems to have realised that first there us a lot to fix instantly

But you have to utilise some critical analysis. You must realise that a part of the reason for those goal scoring statistics is because he did not play centre forward.

It's this new thing in football to think that players can play in a variety of positions. Just because Welbeck has some of the attributes to be a good winger, doesn't mean he is a good winger. Being played conistently as a striker may have a significant impact on that goal scoring record.

Would he be good enough to be a United striker? I don't know, he never got the chance. But the coaches probably do know and if they've made the choice he isn't, then fair enough. But to spout his current goal scoring record as if it pains a fair picture is terrible critical analysis.

He did get the chance. He has made 142 senior appearances. If he was able to play CF he would have, Rooney and RVP have been frequently injured.

I'm not spouting, I merely mentioning the stats, ignoring the goals per game ratio over 142 games would be stupid.

When he played for Sunderland he didn't stand out for me either.

Manchester United have always spent money and big money on players so we could compete at the very top. We have spent a lot in one window for a variety of well documented reassons. We are not City or Chelsea as the ease with with we cope with FFP shows.

He did get the chance. He has made 142 senior appearances. If he was able to play CF he would have, Rooney and RVP have been frequently injured.

I'm not spouting, I merely mentioning the stats, ignoring the goals per game ratio over 142 games would be stupid.

When he played for Sunderland he didn't stand out for me either.

The majority of those 142 appearances have NOT been at centre forward though, correct? Ignoring those statistics would be stupid, yes, but mentioning the stats as if they paint the picture of the future is also stupid.

Anyway, it's a matter of opinion if you think he's going to be a 10, 15, 20, or 30 goal player for Arsenal. No one factually knows. But we'll soon find out.

I'm on board with Phelan here, we've done something you wouldn't have seen if Fergie was still the main man.

Recently it's been so rare we've produced a young local player that's good enough for the first team, there's been several with the right attitude and commitment you don't see from many foreign players but lacked ability. Danny has it all and I can't believe we've let him go on the cheap to a team ahead of us.

It's a dangerous move for the club to jump into bed with Jorge Mendes, he only cares about where his next cheque is coming from and if there's a space at Madrid next Summer he might well move Falcao on again. I also believe he would have consulted with Mourinho before offering Falcao to us, he's far too close with the manager of a club we're supposed to be competing with.
Maybe, yes you want local boys here, but maybe he was making a choice of who to give games to, Wilson or Welbeck. Wilson is far more clinical already. Also if SAF was still here he would be holding onto Cleverley hoping he was actually going to come good. These changes were needed to give the club a breath of fresh air. I wasn't expecting Danny to be one of the casualties, but I am not sure his game would progress here. So probably better for both parties he goes elsewhere. Arsenal aren't exactly a shabby club to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.