Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of those 142 appearances have NOT been at centre forward though, correct? Ignoring those statistics would be stupid, yes, but mentioning the stats as if they paint the picture of the future is also stupid.

Anyway, it's a matter of opinion if you think he's going to be a 10, 15, 20, or 30 goal player for Arsenal. No one factually knows. But we'll soon find out.

The stats merely back up what I saw. The people saying he is good enough have the burden of proof in my opinion. If he was Irish he'd have been long hounded from the club. Can you name the games he didn't score but bossed the way players such as Evra did from fullback. Bayern apart I can't remember 90 mins forom him that showed any more than potential. 142 games is a lot and bar a couple he was an attacker. Goals apart you'd remember some contribution from a top player. For perspective on my point Ruud had only 8 more games and is etched into our history. Neither of us need stats, we can close our eyes and remember and drool. There is no room for debate there.

Last edited:
Ppl saying that others are acting like we lost Henry or Pele ... Well, I would say those same ppl on the other hand are acting like our other options are Costa, Lewandowski and Messi. All still young and not in their peak yet (ofc you never know with Messi).

I love Falcao, always have, and as sad as I am to see Welbeck leave, I am on the other hand as happy to have him here. However we now have a 28 year old striker who has just come back from his long term injury, a soon 29 year old whose peak was 4 years ago, and an injury prone 31 year old striker. This all has either the potential of being a great striking department, or going horribly wrong.

It's just a bit laughable ppl acting like we have the best strikers in the world and therefore shouldn't worry at all about Welbeck leaving. When was the last time RvP or Rooney showed they were world class for a period lasting longer than 1 game?

Ofc there's some perspective needed from the pro Welbeck camp, but at the same time the other group needs to realise that currently we have rather the big name strikers than the world class in form ones.

For me Rooney, Ronaldo, Berbatov and Tevez represent exactly what a squad of WC players is about.

You've got to be trying to wind me up. :lol:

Granted the players you mentioned were all probably world class, my point was that we didn't have a squad of world class players. I mean, what team does? My comment before about Van Gaal aiming to have a squad full of world class players was a joke that was obviously taken too literally by yourself.

I've never been a huge fan, but still feel sad. Sad too about the fact that we seem to have turned into Chelsea or City.

Which isn't to say I won't enjoy seeing the new players and want them to do well - there's just that little grain of disappointment in the way things are going. But there's also excitement. Mixed feelings really, with more excitment than sadness, but even so...

Why do people say we are turning into City or Chelsea and not Real, Barca and Bayern Munich when the comparison with the latter is actually much more apt (big historical clubs, acting like it with big moves in the market, with their own money)? Is it because the narrative doesn't sound as good that way?

"I'm so sad to see us becoming another Real Madrid or Barcelona or Bayern Munich" :(

The Chip on Neuer was a prime example. Worked really hard, got into a great position and lacked the composure required at the top level. If he had scored that things may have been different.
van Persie did the same for us v Milan the year before, and that was before he had all those people up his channel.

van Persie did the same for us v Milan the year before, and that was before he had all those people up his channel.
van Persie has been guilty of a few poor misses for us to be honest, but Welbeck isn't a natural goalscorer. It is something Arsenal will have to work on.

While were on the topic: van Persie has missed loads of good chances.
Scores the difficult ones, and quite often misses the sitters.

van Persie has been guilty of a few poor misses for us to be honest, but Welbeck isn't a natural goalscorer. It is something Arsenal will have to work on.

Even if he gets 15 league goals, how many more will he allow Sanchez to score or Ramsey to score with his off the ball running and pressing of defenders high up the pitch? Danny gave something to the squad that we don't have now, that's the crux of this whole thing as much as we try to downplay it.

Are you comparing the two as finishers? Or just two similar moments from two totally different careers?

I have no issue with Danny, I didn't knock him when he was here but I don't feel any great loss now he's gone. I can't remember, did you feel the same about Robin when he left to win the league with us?

Even if he gets 15 league goals, how many more will he allow Sanchez to score or Ramsey to score with his off the ball running and pressing of defenders high up the pitch? Danny gave something to the squad that we don't have now, that's the crux of this whole thing as much as we try to downplay it.

Welbeck gives us something that Di Maria and Falcao don't? Our squad is vastly improved in the last 3 months.

The fact remains we cant fit every car in the garage! He had to go for a vastly superior player. We can buy a better striker than Welbeck in 2-3 years time thats a fact.

Are you comparing the two as finishers? Or just two similar moments from two totally different careers?

I have no issue with Danny, I didn't knock him when he was here but I don't feel any great loss now he's gone. I can't remember, did you feel the same about Robin when he left to win the league with us?
Wait til Welbeck is 28 and see how you feel

You've got to be trying to wind me up. :lol:

Granted the players you mentioned were all probably world class, my point was that we didn't have a squad of world class players. I mean, what team does? My comment before about Van Gaal aiming to have a squad full of world class players was a joke that was obviously taken too literally by yourself.
Maybe so :) no worries all good.

Wait til Welbeck is 28 and see how you feel

So you were gutted when Robin left, and now you're gutted that we're not gutted that Danny was sold.

That aside I won't even like football by the time Danny is 28 at this rate.

I think the Bayern miss is being over-played here.

Rooney missed a far easier chance against the same opposition and Van Persie should have scored at least a couple of goals in the tie that derailed our previous CL campaign (in a fixture where Welbeck did score and was arguably MOTM) Obviously, they both have credentials that Welbeck can only dream move but - as I keep saying - at the same age as he is now, the consensus on here was that Rooney's finishing wasn't up to scratch either.

If you focus on the goals Welbeck has scored - rather than those he missed - there's been an impressive range of finishes, including some absolute screamers and a disproportionate number of goals scored in high profile games (remember that sweet volley against City in the FA Cup?) which always bodes well for a young striker.

I think the Bayern miss is being over-played here.

Rooney missed a far easier chance against the same opposition and Van Persie should have scored at least a couple of goals in the tie that derailed our previous CL campaign (in a fixture where Welbeck did score and was arguably MOTM) Obviously, they both have credentials that Welbeck can only dream move but - as I keep saying - at the same age as he is now, the consensus on here was that Rooney's finishing wasn't up to scratch either.

If you focus on the goals Welbeck has scored - rather than those he missed - there's been an impressive range of finishes, including some absolute screamers and a disproportionate number of goals scored in high profile games (remember that sweet volley against City in the FA Cup?) which always bodes well for a young striker.

Rooney's strike rate was much better though, and steadily improved, and the out of position thing that derailed Welbecks stats didn't have the same effect on Wayne's. That and Wayne bossed games and imposed himself. Hie England and United debuts alone blow any Welbeck perfromance out of the water in my mind.

The goals Welbeck has scored are all very instinctive, he lacks the dead eye and coolness of a top finisher. He's not a bad player, but not a great one. And if we paid 16 million for him I think a lot of people would be pissed off.

Rooney's strike rate was much better though, and steadily improved, and the out of position thing that derailed Welbecks stats didn't have the same effect on Wayne's. That and Wayne bossed games and imposed himself. Hie England and United debuts alone blow any Welbeck perfromance out of the water in my mind.

The goals Welbeck has scored are all very instinctive, he lacks the dead eye and coolness of a top finisher. He's not a bad player, but not a great one. And if we paid 16 million for him I think a lot of people would be pissed off.

Aye, Rooney's much the better player but there's an element of the unknown in predicting where Welbeck goes from here. I can see him going on to great things but I might be just being a bit too negative about this whole thing. This muppet spending frenzy sits uneasily with me and I'm inclined to look for the bad in what's happened. Not entirely sure why.

For the record, I would be delighted if we signed him for 16m. When was the last time we signed a talented English prospect who had played as many top flight games as he has at such a young age? You'd have to probably go all the way back to Carrick. It does worry me that we're losing a lot of the British/Irish member of our squad in recent years. I think that's significant for a club with our history/heritage.

I assume someone has said it already but is it totally against the realm of possibility that we would have included a buy back clause?

I assume someone has said it already but is it totally against the realm of possibility that we would have included a buy back clause?

At £16 million I dont think there's even a slight chance of that. Why would Arsenal agree to that?

While he has the potential to be worth that fee if hes starting weekly and scoring often for Arsenal, they are mostly paying for that potential because he's not currently a £15 million+ striker. If we had some kind of buyback option you can expect Arsenal would have paid a fair bit less

I've got a feeling he'll choose by himself to come back when LvG leaves.

This will bite United in the bum in about 3 or 4 years time, similar to the way we thought Sturridge was average so decided to sell him to a rival. He has talent but never felt hes been much cop at United, he clearly has got it though as he has shown for England of all places.

At £16 million I dont think there's even a slight chance of that. Why would Arsenal agree to that?

While he has the potential to be worth that fee if hes starting weekly and scoring often for Arsenal, they are mostly paying for that potential because he's not currently a £15 million+ striker. If we had some kind of buyback option you can expect Arsenal would have paid a fair bit less

£16m is fair in my opinion. They were desperate and we didn't actually want to sell. Such a clause could have easily swayed it, especially if it was something a little extravagant like £30/£40m. The deal would work for both parties.

Either way, I highly doubt there is such a clause, just a thought that's all. You never know though, especially if he has the attachment to the club that people claim.

This will bite United in the bum in about 3 or 4 years time, similar to the way we thought Sturridge was average so decided to sell him to a rival. He has talent but never felt hes been much cop at United, he clearly has got it though as he has shown for England of all places.
It's all very unfortunate. He may, he may not. Personally, I'd have kept him over say, RvP (especially with Falcao signed). But I think Welbeck wanted a guaranteed CF role, which LvG couldn't promise.

The only way we could know for sure is if we gave him another 2-3 years to lead our line.

The risk being by that time we could well and truly be a solid mid table club.

£16m is fair in my opinion. They were desperate and we didn't actually want to sell. Such a clause could have easily swayed it, especially if it was something a little extravagant like £30/£40m. The deal would work for both parties.

Either way, I highly doubt there is such a clause, just a thought that's all. You never know though, especially if he has the attachment to the club that people claim.

I suspect it would be more realistic, like Arsenal buying for £12 million and us having a buyback at £22-25 million

Cant see it being a possibility

What I will say though is that Joel Campbell doesn't look much worse and surely he wont be getting any chances at Arsenal now?

A lot of arguments are about Welbeck plays much better if he's played at center, but even if he's on the team and we had not signed Falcao, he'll not be given that role with Rooney and Van Persie in the team. Apparently he was told that he had to play second fiddle to Rooney and RvP and once Falcao option materialized, the club went for him and Welbeck wanted to leave.

This melodramatic crying is amusing. Why does Anderson receive dog's abuse then? He's not from Manchester? After all he gave 10 years to the club.

Agree with the everything bar the bite us in the bum bit purely because we'l just buy a top striker and the fact that he'd never reach that level if he stayed here. Been saying it for a year now, he needed to leave to be the best he can be.

Maybe because Welbeck works hard and Anderson doesn't? Welbeck is a good player and Anderson isnt? Welbeck went out on loan and impressed, Anderson didnt?

Welbeck has done well for his country at an international tournament, Anderson hasnt?

There's more

It doesnt mean anything anyways. If he flourishes at Arsenal for say 3 years, why'd he want to leave and come back to us?

Decent fee is the rumoured numbers are true. Disappointing to see him go though. Would have rather have kept him, but I can't blame him if he wanted out after seeing what's in front of him. I think he is one these players who when it clicks, he will be a regular source of goals. He has all the tools needed. Unfortunately that won't be at United.

A lot of arguments are about Welbeck plays much better if he's played at center, but even if he's on the team and we had not signed Falcao, he'll not be given that role with Rooney and Van Persie in the team. Apparently he was told that he had to play second fiddle to Rooney and RvP and once Falcao option materialized, the club went for him and Welbeck wanted to leave.
Welbeck wanted to leave with a while now, Hernandez too, I'd say the two of them wanting to go, along with RvP possible surgery, meant they jumped at Falcao when he became an option, rather than Falcao forcing them out.

I dunno, do you see Sturridge firing Liverpool to the title? I don't. Costa and Drogba both much better centre-forwards.

Agree with the everything bar the bite us in the bum bit purely because we'l just buy a top striker and the fact that he'd never reach that level if he stayed here. Been saying it for a year now, he needed to leave to be the best he can be.

I know its a hypothetical worst case scenario but if Welbeck does massively improve to his potential at Arsenal helps them secure top four and United miss out on it then Falcao turns out not to be at his best anymore post injury and/or moves on at the end of the season it could all end up being a total clusterfeck. Im with the ones saying RVP should have been moved on, hes getting older fast, doesn't seem to have his heart in United after SAF and needs surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.