Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the hardest working player on United. His hard work actually resulted in interceptions and winning the ball. He scored some memorable goals. We generally played better when he was in the team. Was one of few players last season that didn't completely embarrass themselves.

Also seems like a good, humble guy and he was treated poorly last season. To score so many goals in a row and to be dropped for RVP or Rooney was simply poor management. And I feel that is why he wants to leave.

Its called the world of football and nothing you have said above is enough to guarantee anyone a starting place every game.

I understand its still part of the game and what happened is for everyone's benefit but selling a player who lived a stone's throw away from OT, grew up at the club since he was 7, loves the club, is actually quite good at football is a bit hard to swallow.

If he was that good he wouldnt be gone mate. He couldnt even score on MK Dons ffs, not even a chance.

I have, he's quick, but I don't think he's fast in the way you'd describe Welbeck or Di Maria.

Also, we've no idea how this knee has affected him (people don't tend to be as quick after some good old knee surgery)

Hasn't he had knee surgery 3 times now? He might not have the explosive pace he had when he was young but plenty of older strikers score goals in the prem.

If he was that good he wouldnt be gone mate. He couldnt even score on MK Dons ffs, not even a chance.

He's scored against Real Madrid and the winner at the Euro's against Sweden so mentioning the MK Dons doesn't mean shit.

Danny should have been given more of a chance to shine here and that's my opinion. And yes having local players in the team is important and Welbeck was more than good enough. There are other players that should have been sold.

I'm on board with Phelan here, we've done something you wouldn't have seen if Fergie was still the main man.

Recently it's been so rare we've produced a young local player that's good enough for the first team, there's been several with the right attitude and commitment you don't see from many foreign players but lacked ability. Danny has it all and I can't believe we've let him go on the cheap to a team ahead of us.

It's a dangerous move for the club to jump into bed with Jorge Mendes, he only cares about where his next cheque is coming from and if there's a space at Madrid next Summer he might well move Falcao on again. I also believe he would have consulted with Mourinho before offering Falcao to us, he's far too close with the manager of a club we're supposed to be competing with.

I've been reading for a long time and you're quite the popular critic.
He has always rated Welbeck, he is also one of the few here who even last season rated him higher than Sturridge. Here in Germany I know a lot of Bayern and RM fans who were also very impressed by him when we played them.

I'm on board with Phelan here, we've done something you wouldn't have seen if Fergie was still the main man.

Recently it's been so rare we've produced a young local player that's good enough for the first team, there's been several with the right attitude and commitment you don't see from many foreign players but lacked ability. Danny has it all and I can't believe we've let him go on the cheap to a team ahead of us.

It's a dangerous move for the club to jump into bed with Jorge Mendes, he only cares about where his next cheque is coming from and if there's a space at Madrid next Summer he might well move Falcao on again. I also believe he would have consulted with Mourinho before offering Falcao to us, he's far too close with the manager of a club we're supposed to be competing with.
That's the problem though, Welbz wasn't good enough to regularly start as Manchester United's centre-forward.

Just telling it like it is, everybody wants to see you fuiked over since you were on top for so long (see Liverpool post-80s).
You should aim to be less angry and more like us Pete.

He's pissed off his side signed a striker he doesn't rate.
Knowing Pete, Danny's now going to be the second coming of Handball Henry.

He has always rated Welbeck, he is also one of the few here who even last season rated him higher than Sturridge. Here in Germany I know a lot of Bayern and RM fans who were also very impressed by him when we played them.

My bad then!

Except no one said that. Love how you ignored the whole crux of my post which was that managers give chances to players based on every day that they work with then, match day or otherwise. But why respond to the actual post when you can post with emotion while constantly repeating a whole different point altogether, eh?

You backed your argument about welbeck with these lines -

' If were going to follow you're line of thinking then every player must get a long run of games in their best position, even if their manager doesn't deem them worthy based on what he's seeing'
' he got plenty of chances whether you'd like to believe that or not'
' That way Kagawa never got a chance either.'

Which clearly implies that Fergie didnt rate him highly enough based on what he saw in training and matches. Clearly you ignore that RVP and Rooney also exist and play in Welbecks position. despite him not being a LW, he played ahead of our wingers in important games albeit not in his preferred and out performed many of our 'better' players in the attacking department.
So whatever your core point may be, the aforementioned lines make me think that you're point wasnt very well thought out. maybe, like i said before, you should check his stats as a striker. selling him prematurely is a stupid decision. mike phelan stated his disappointment at united selling welbeck and im quite sure fergie and meulensteen feel the same way. Welbeck deserved a real chance as a striker not as a winger.

The truth is, we've dug ourselves a hole i.e. 7th in the league and no CL. and we are so desperate to get back to where we belong that we've lost all perspective of what we really are as a club.

nobody is crying in the Tom C thread , local lad and all

I am completely blanked out on this . Just checked his stats for Sunderland (on loan). It says 6 goals in 26 games. Any idea on the number of minutes and position he played.

People are talking as if he will be the next Henry at Arsenal even without him kicking a ball for them. If he was really rate high, why would three managers ignore him?.

Last edited:
You should aim to be less angry and more like us Pete.

Knowing Pete, Danny's now going to be the second coming of Handball Henry.
You lot will be plenty angry if Van Gall has spent a shedload of dosh to get 7th again.

That's the problem though, Welbz wasn't good enough to regularly start as Manchester United's centre-forward.

I suppose we'll never know will we? He should have been given a chance in the team as a centre-forward.

Instead he became a victim of his own versatility. If Rooney or Van Persie had the physical attributes Danny has maybe they would have been stuck on the wing or given tactical instruction to sit on a player like Alonso? Say what you want about him but he was often our most important player in big games, often the games our "star" players went missing.

I suppose we'll never know will we? He should have been given a chance in the team as a centre-forward.

Instead he became a victim of his own versatility. If Rooney or Van Persie had the physical attributes Danny has maybe they would have been stuck on the wing or given tactical instruction to sit on a player like Alonso? Say what you want about him but he was often our most important player in big games, often the games our "star" players went missing.
He had some excellent games for us, I agree. Rooney found himself played out of position a lot too, don't forget, but he often found himself returning to centre-forward as he scored goals. Do we ever see Welbeck scoring thirty-odd goals in one season? I don't.

He had some excellent games for us, I agree. Rooney found himself played out of position a lot too, don't forget, but he often found himself returning to centre-forward as he scored goals. Do we ever see Welbeck scoring thirty-odd goals in one season? I don't.

Nope and if he did, like I said earlier, I am sure he will find his way back to OT and these emos can dry their tears.

I think he'll start adding goals to his game once he gets regular game time up top, and luckily for him he's basically guaranteed that at Arsenal currently.

No top club can give him more games than we did without scoring goals. The truth is if Danny was bought for any amount of money he'd long been hounded out of the club. While having home grown players is amazing, the most important thing is their ability, not where they were youth players. He has never been anything but hit and miss as a striker. He got his chances and arguably made less impact in the box than Hernandez or even Macheda. Well not Macheda maybe

rooney played out of position when we had ronaldo who was very versitile himself and played all over the pitch and not just as a froward. that allowed rooney to play as a winger a striker or as a no.10. itwas more fluid than what welbeck has experienced as a LW. just my opinion.

Do you only see goals and assists in football? There's a lot more to it than that. Only one player scores the goal but it's a team game. I suppose you look back on Park as an absolute failure too as he didn't score many goals or assists? Like Danny his work rate allowed other players to take the credit but real fans don't ignore their contribution.

rooney played out of position when we had ronaldo who was very versitile himself and played all over the pitch and not just as a froward. that allowed rooney to play as a winger a striker or as a no.10. itwas more fluid than what welbeck has experienced as a LW. just my opinion.
Rooney's been shafted into centre-midfield as well. Truth is, Welbeck never did enough as centre-forward to justify consistent selection over van Persie or Rooney.

Do you only see goals and assists in football? There's a lot more to it than that. Only one player scores the goal but it's a team game. I suppose you look back on Park as an absolute failure too as he didn't score many goals or assists? Like Danny his work rate allowed other players to take the credit but real fans don't ignore their contribution.
What are you on about? :lol: Centre-forwards at top clubs need to score goals, pure and simple. Should I compare Welbeck to Park now? Yeah, both have excellent work rate but at least Park scored important goals! :lol:

Park wasn't a centre forward. Silly post.

Rooney's been shafted into centre-midfield as well. Truth is, Welbeck never did enough as centre-forward to justify consistent selection over van Persie or Rooney.
i think he was too young to be picked over them given their goal scoring record and how good they are as players over all. but i think the time was near where he could have replaced them. in fact ive always felt that welbeck paired with either one of them upfront made more sense than rooney and van persie paired together. i also think he wasnt given enough opportunities as a CF and people only remember the glaring misses but not the great or important goals hes scored.
personally i didnt expect united to sell a promising player who is still developing and only 23 yers of age, whos been at united all his life , and that too to a direct rival. its disappointing and probably doesnt fill the younger players at united with a lot of confidence wither.

i think he was too young to be picked over them given their goal scoring record and how good they are as players over all. but i think the time was near where he could have replaced them. in fact ive always felt that welbeck paired with either one of them upfront made more sense than rooney and van persie paired together. i also think he wasnt given enough opportunities as a CF and people only remember the glaring misses but not the great or important goals hes scored.
personally i didnt expect united to sell a promising player who is still developing and only 23 yers of age, whos been at united all his life , and that too to a direct rival. its disappointing and probably doesnt fill the younger players at united with a lot of confidence wither.

Can you list the great and important goals for those who can't remember them as well as you?

I wouldn't say that, these youngsters have their egos stroked if they're in anyway good enough.

Can you list the great and important goals for those who can't remember them as well as you?
haha. well the one against everton in the 4-4 draw at OT or vs madrid are the two that stick out most. his finish against west brom from the left side of the box to the far corner and his two goals against swansea. he scored goals when played as a CF and ive always felt he offered something we do not have, pace and physique up front.

the player that i saw at sunderland on loan was going to be better than how we used him imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.