Dan Ashworth - Garden ready | Back to football with United | use thread in United forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does not, anything above 12 months is nuts and I am sure that is why he goes to court
It is but Newcastle didn't just wake up and declare it post facto it was in his contract and what was he thinking signing on to something like that with those people? Yes a court could overturn it and possibly reduce it to one year meaning he starts in January but Newcastle could choose to drag it out a bit longer by appealing the decision or using lawyer techniques to delay it.

Yeah that’s what companies hiring do, offer you a job, then give it to someone else because they lost their patience

have a word with yourself
Not sure how you can just ignore the timescales here, not wanting to wait 2 years to fill a position everyone agrees is essential to move us forward isn't really impatient is it?

Also don't really think it hurts us with other non-Newcastle candidates because... they're not at Newcastle, who are clearly trying to act like a big boy club. Wilcox was sorted out pretty quickly, with a fair compensation fee paid.

Not sure how you can just ignore the timescales here, not wanting to wait 2 years to fill a position everyone agrees is essential to move us forward isn't really impatient is it?

Also don't really think it hurts us with other non-Newcastle candidates because... they're not at Newcastle, who are clearly trying to act like a big boy club. Wilcox was sorted out pretty quickly, with a fair compensation fee paid.
We’ve offered him the role. How do you think it will look if we go and hire someone else? We’d be shafting our future selves when it comes to hiring again.
Wilcox is handling it in the meantime. We will come to agreement sooner or later

Yeah that’s what companies hiring do, offer you a job, then give it to someone else because they lost their patience

I mean yes. If I were offered the role and then turned around and told them I had a ridiculously long notice period and my employer wasn't willing to compromise then I'd expect them to move on to other candidates.

It's an important role to fill and one we need to fill quickly too. We made an offer to Newcastle to resolve this quicker but they clearly decided to try and fleece us in a bid to stall the whole thing. It's unreasonable for us to meet their extortionate demands, as well as playing hardball for potentially up to two years.

Think about the optics here.

Contractually, geordie arabia have Ashworth on gardening leave for a very long time, and pay him handsomely to do so.

In the meantime they’re looking for a new DoF. If they get one (big if due their antics but not impossible) they’ll be paying for two DoF’s.

You can argue the money is no biggie quite fairly from capacity perspective. But it will hurt from a PSR perspective and they’ll look a total clown show, which will hurt long term as we can testify.

We’re well stacked enough now in exec positions to be able to play the long game. It’s only going to end one way

Contractually, geordie arabia have Ashworth on gardening leave for a very long time, and pay him handsomely to do so.

In the meantime they’re looking for a new DoF. If they get one (big if due their antics but not impossible) they’ll be paying for two DoF’s.

You can argue the money is no biggie quite fairly from capacity perspective. But it will hurt from a PSR perspective and they’ll look a total clown show, which will hurt long term as we can testify.

We’re well stacked enough now in exec positions to be able to play the long game. It’s only going to end one way
Exactly. Dig in and have patience.

We’ve offered him the role. How do you think it will look if we go and hire someone else? We’d be shafting our future selves when it comes to hiring again.
Wilcox is handling it in the meantime. We will come to agreement sooner or later
Again, people aren't going to judge us for not wanting to pay 15m+ or wait 2 years to fill one of the most important roles at the club. The idea we're locked in to the bitter end just because we've offered someone a job, regardless of how it affects us in the meantime, is madness to me.

Wilcox already has a job, so unless the sporting director job is not all it's cracked up to be I don't think it's tenable for him to do both for two years.

It's possible they relent of course, in which case great, but if it hasn't been resolved by the new year with an agreement for him to join in time to be involved with the 25/26 prep, it would be completely reasonable to move on.

Companies also don't wait for two years for somebody to start a job.

It was a tremendous f... up from INEOS to get us in this ridiculous situation. Surely we cannot just sit around without a DOF, waiting for Ashworth, just because INEOS wanted to get him and didn't think it through

Companies also don't wait for two years for somebody to start a job.

It was a tremendous f... up from INEOS to get us in this ridiculous situation. Surely we cannot just sit around without a DOF, waiting for Ashworth, just because INEOS wanted to get him and didn't think it through
How you can blame Ineos is beyond me. We offer decent compensation for Ashworth and for 99.9 percent of the elployers that would have been acceptable. Ffs even City played along for our CEO

It is but Newcastle didn't just wake up and declare it post facto it was in his contract and what was he thinking signing on to something like that with those people? Yes a court could overturn it and possibly reduce it to one year meaning he starts in January but Newcastle could choose to drag it out a bit longer by appealing the decision or using lawyer techniques to delay it.
Signing it was not the bright part yes but dont forget that it also works the other wqy once they want to fire you. So it is very common to fight it and then go to court.

6 months to a year that's understandable but by the looks of things his is about 18 to 24 months. That's completely unreasonable imo and gives Newcastle a very strong position. That's why we might need to end up moving on from him because no one in their right senses agrees to such a nonsensical clause, it displays a worrying lack of attention to detail when compounded with his email debacle which I suspect killed off his arbitration chances.
Yeh actually now you say it the length of this gardening leave is pretty ridiculous in comparison, it's pretty odd for it to be such a length.

Yeh actually now you say it the length of this gardening leave is pretty ridiculous in comparison, it's pretty odd for it to be such a length.
He doesn't appear to be the brightest tool in the shade, first he signs onto a ridiculously long gardening leave with the Saudi regime and then that email he copied to his work email. I hope he is more thorough in other aspects of his work.

I mean at this point does it matter how long it takes?

We already knew and know that he wont be in place for this summers window. So unless they could get him early, there is no point paying the fee.

He will still be "working" on United just not in an official capacity and being paid by Newcastle.

So once the window closes it doesn't really matter if we get him in September or January because his target now will be next summer, for him to have real influence.

How shit are these reporters? Ratcliffe himself confirmed in the Bloomberg interview that the earliest he could start without Newcastle agreeing to release him would be the start of 2026. Shows what an utter lazy bullshit merchant this reporter is.

It's not even a reporter. It's a random no mark with a twitter account and a patreon.

INEOS should be realising by now it’s not as easy as everyone claims it is to get the right people in place.

I just never thought it would be background staff that caused so much drama.

Who cares? March is fine - he'll have 2-3 months before the summer transfer window. DoFs are for long term planning, I'm OK with it.

This is what happens when you don't have a plan B. Newcastle is taking us for the ride.
He’s the best in the business as evaluated by INEOS. So you wait a little to get your man. Only outright idiots will expect instant success within a year. Not happening. It will take 2-3 years to right the ship. Anyone saying otherwise is clueless.

I assume they can’t recruit a replacement until Ashworth has left so are they seriously petty enough to go without a DoF for 9 months because they think they’re proving some kind of point?

Status
Not open for further replies.