Dan Ashworth - Garden ready | Back to football with United | use thread in United forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really confirm that Newcastle still asking sky high 15M plus add-ons? I thought the actual figure was much lower but definitely won't agree with the 3M we proposed.

I know I wouldn't be successful in business because I would've said feck it and paid the 15mil ages ago :lol:

He's like the main guy in shaping our future on the pitch ffs!

His roses must look wonderful at this point. Perfect time for them to bloom.

How long is his leave? He must have like a year and a bit left.

What kind of add-ons do you add on a DoF appointment? This is getting ridiculous. And what happened to the arbitration?

Maybe based on club success, getting into Europe? It’s a bit daft like regardless. Deals for staff starting to mimic player signings. The games gone mad

Surely after the transfer window closes Newcastle won't care as much! so United just need to get through the Summer and then Newcastle might be more willing to take a few million once the season starts?

In the mean time Dan just needs to share his laptop password with Wilcox.

Surely after the transfer window closes Newcastle won't care as much! so United just need to get through the Summer and then Newcastle might be more willing to take a few million once the season starts?

In the mean time Dan just needs to share his laptop password with Wilcox.
By that point we may as well just wait to get him on a free, like others have said, Wilcox was DoF at Southampton so he's more than capable of holding down the fort until Ashworth's eventual arrival.

Wilcox was DoF at Soton. He’s more than capable of filling in while the Geordies have their strip. Nothing to say he can’t do those deals at the same price Ashworth would.
Also isn't Hargreaves the one who negotiates the price? Ashworth just has the contacts and the targets, which he can easily pass to Wilcox for now.

I still can’t believe we are seeing ‘Fee + add ons’ in relation to employing a suit.

Geordies need to grow up - no wonder they still haven’t filled the vacancy yet

Well that will just get the response we have and leave us with no DOF, perhaps we should just look elsewhere

I don't mind looking elsewhere if Ineos have viable alternatives. I don't mind being patient either.

Would be highly unprofessional of INEOS to go and get someone else when they got Ashworth to resign his job wouldnt it mate?
It wouldn't be a good look, we would rightly be seen as pariahs and handover the high ground to Newcastle who would spin it as United unsettled our DOF, refused to negotiate faithfully on compensation and still left him in a ditch.

INEOS could promise him a role within the INEOS group and move for Dougie Freeman but then he'd still have a gardening period and Palace won't take kindly to us poaching their DOF in the midst of a transfer window. At this point we just have to wait it out, the longer Newcastle hold out the more they look petty and the harder it gets for them to attract a good replacement.

Would be highly unprofessional of INEOS to go and get someone else when they got Ashworth to resign his job wouldnt it mate?

I guess it would be and I have no doubt they'll just wait for Ashworth if the current situation isn't resolved, and I think that will be the right call.

INEOS could promise him a role within the INEOS group and move for Dougie Freeman but then he'd still have a gardening period and Palace won't take kindly to us poaching their DOF in the midst of a transfer window. At this point we just have to wait it out, the longer Newcastle hold out the more they look petty and the harder it gets for them to attract a good replacement.
Freedman extended his contract with Palace a month ago. He should very firmly be considered off the market now.

It wouldn't be a good look, we would rightly be seen as pariahs and handover the high ground to Newcastle who would spin it as United unsettled our DOF, refused to negotiate faithfully on compensation and still left him in a ditch.

I guess it would be and I have no doubt they'll just wait for Ashworth if the current situation isn't resolved, and I think that will be the right call.

As long as we have Jason Wilcox who have DoF experience i think we will rely on him until Ashworth comes to be honest.

Remember when Dougie Freedman rejected this wee likkle club.

His garden leave reportedly extends to the "end of 2025", so he would not be able to start working for United until late 2025 / early 2026.
Like and respect Ashworth but why in hell would he agree to such a clause it's beyond me.

Like and respect Ashworth but why in hell would he agree to such a clause it's beyond me.
I could be wrong but I think it might be standard practice in roles like this. A similar thing is happening with Adrian Newey with the Red Bull F1 team at the moment.

His garden leave reportedly extends to the "end of 2025", so he would not be able to start working for United until late 2025 / early 2026.

thanks. So basically either we agree on a fee as soon as possible or we find another person for the role!

I could be wrong but I think it might be standard practice in roles like this. A similar thing is happening with Adrian Newey with the Red Bull F1 team at the moment.
6 months to a year that's understandable but by the looks of things his is about 18 to 24 months. That's completely unreasonable imo and gives Newcastle a very strong position. That's why we might need to end up moving on from him because no one in their right senses agrees to such a nonsensical clause, it displays a worrying lack of attention to detail when compounded with his email debacle which I suspect killed off his arbitration chances.

6 months to a year that's understandable but by the looks of things his is about 18 to 24 months. That's completely unreasonable imo and gives Newcastle a very strong position. That's why we might need to end up moving on from him because no one in their right senses agrees to such a nonsensical clause, it displays a worrying lack of attention to detail when compounded with his email debacle which I suspect killed off his arbitration chances.
Gardening Leave means they must pay his full salary and he cannot work.

So they would pay his full salary for two (!) years, which could be longer than he may even last at United, just to piss into our garden, pun intended?

This is what happens when they have megarich owners and are holding grudges

Can we not look elsewhere? I understand he's highly rated in the role but there are surely countless good DoFs we can appoint that don't involve us getting into a standoff with Newcastle regarding compensation or waiting for arbitration. He's not worth waiting a year and a half for is he? Especially if he's alleged to be a big fan of Southgate for the United role.

Can we not look elsewhere? I understand he's highly rated in the role but there are surely countless good DoFs we can appoint that don't involve us getting into a standoff with Newcastle regarding compensation or waiting for arbitration. He's not worth waiting a year and a half for is he? Especially if he's alleged to be a big fan of Southgate for the United role.
The thing is, we knew this could happened when we approached him made the offer, as did Ashworth. He will have had assurances that we will see it through and hire him even if it means we have to wait his notice out. To withdraw that offer now and leave him in the position he is in would be a horrendous way to conduct business and we’d find it impossible approaching any other candidate that isn’t currently unemployed.

The thing is, we knew this could happened when we approached him made the offer, as did Ashworth. He will have had assurances that we will see it through and hire him even if it means we have to wait his notice out. To withdraw that offer now and leave him in the position he is in would be a horrendous way to conduct business and we’d find it impossible approaching any other candidate that isn’t currently unemployed.
If we were willing to put ourselves in a possible position where we'd have to wait almost two years to hire a DOF, then that's poor planning on the club's part. Yes its ruthless but I don't think its unreasonable for a club to put a timeline on this being resolved reasonably. If we move on its not for lack of trying, but essentially down to Newcastle being completely unreasonable demanding £15million for a DoF.

If we were willing to put ourselves in a possible position where we'd have to wait almost two years to hire a DOF, then that's poor planning on the club's part. Yes its ruthless but I don't think its unreasonable for a club to put a timeline on this being resolved reasonably. If we move on its not for lack of trying, but essentially down to Newcastle being completely unreasonable demanding £15million for a DoF.
But that timeline had to be established from the beginning. At that level, football is all about relationships and Ashworth is high profile - it would be a terrible move to burn that relationship now.

Gardening Leave means they must pay his full salary and he cannot work.

So they would pay his full salary for two (!) years, which could be longer than he may even last at United, just to piss into our garden, pun intended?

This is what happens when they have megarich owners and are holding grudges
How much does he earn per year? £2m to £5m I'd guess, that's peanuts to the Saudis but if he comes in and helps us get our act together that means it's one more club they have to overtake on their way up. Newcastle aren't being petty they are being cynical cause they know the impact he could have for us so if they delay him long enough they cripple our progression.

It does not, anything above 12 months is nuts and I am sure that is why he goes to court

If Ashworth want Southgate, then its good thing that Newcastle is stalling the deal

While it does make sense from Newcastle - and moreso because obviously money is meaningless - it would certainly make me think twice if I were looking at joining their 'project'.

I'm still kind of surprised that these contracts are enforceable. 2 years seems genuinely ridiculous in terms of preventing someone from seeking alternative employment. I know you can write anything into a contract, but what counts is what is enforceable under the law, and I can't imagine any judge ruling, say, a random accounting partner cannot unilaterally terminate after a reasonable period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.