Dan Ashworth 2024/2025

Still early days but Newcastle fans and media portraying it like getting rid of "useless" Ashworth and replace him with a "great sporting director with a proven track record that also rejected United" is mildly amusing come deadline day.
Nah we will have no backtracking now. Those people need to own their knee jerking idiocy

Things didn't look good at the time to be fair. Berrada caught tapping up because ashworth blundered and leaked the emails. Looked like they held all the cards at one point.
Worth noting that all that came from Newcastle's side. Ashworth had a different story which leaked before the arbitration meeting and predictably we agreed on a fee before it took place and the compensation was a lot lower than what Newcastle were asking for...

he had a brilliant first window....getting rid of sancho and his wages was well needed with only downside being we didn't bring in another first team player to take his spot as we need a bit more depth

Amazing what having footballing people in charge of football can do to change a club.

People might disagree but for me Murtough era has caused more damage , even more than woodward. Absolute disaster of 2 to 3 years.

No doubts Murtough is the biggest culprit. He has been Woody right hand man in football for more than a decade. Absolute clown.

Excellent so far. If someone told you this was our window 8 months ago they would have laughed you off

Dan did an amazing work already. Guess the gardening leave did a world of good, planning for this summer. More importantly doesn’t look like selling clubs demanded the United tax much as usual. 10 years of mismanagement will take time to resolve but he did well to steer us back in the right direction

Though we have no idea how the signings will turn out yet it’s so promising to see a clear idea there.

And this is why I refuse to accept the Glazer kids as good businessmen. It was obvious to me these 10 years that to get the maximum profit, they needed to get the best in class and make United operate well. They couldn’t see it at any point and wanted to cheap out and simply make money off the name alone
It was a simple fix, let Woodward go and get an experienced less excitable CEO who then brings a competent DOF to control the football side. Do this after Mourinho and we could have mounted a title challenge. We missed so many open goals under the Glazers it's like they were on a self sabotage mission.
Things didn't look good at the time to be fair. Berrada caught tapping up because ashworth blundered and leaked the emails. Looked like they held all the cards at one point.
Right on but the funny part is that neither was our employee then though City could have latched on to this and made us pay for Berrada not respecting his gardening leave.

Really impressed with Ashworth and the new backroom staff. There was some logic in every move even though I had doubts on the two Bayern lads but we will see and we didn't spend outrageous amounts on the deals. Yoro and Kone look exciting and that's how I want us to operate - sign the necessary first team players for immediate use and always reserve a few million for youth signings with World class potential.

Outgoings is a big improvement. We needed more incomings, however.

Still too many gaps, and we didn’t get ahead. You already look at next summer and see a raft a outgoings and incomings to come.

Happy to be patient, mind.

Outgoings is a big improvement. We needed more incomings, however.

Still too many gaps, and we didn’t get ahead. You already look at next summer and see a raft a outgoings and incomings to come.

Happy to be patient, mind.
We haven't done much work on the forward line and at left back but I think that's also an opportunity for a kid to step up. What I am more worried about is the manager's position; will we need to act, how soon will we act and the identification of a replacement if need be. Those are the questions I am grappling with and I worry if we will he able to resist the old boy network on this one.

We haven't done much work on the forward line and at left back but I think that's also an opportunity for a kid to step up. What I am more worried about is the manager's position; will we need to act, how soon will we act and the identification of a replacement if need be. Those are the questions I am grappling with and I worry if we will he able to resist the old boy network on this one.
In the absence of a standout alternative I don’t have a major issue with Ten Hag right now. With that said, both football and results must improve otherwise he’s in trouble.

Southgate being unemployed is a scary thought, mind.

We have done a decent job selling but as you say left back and the forward line arr real weaknesses. It also remains to be seen how good our central midfield will be.

It's still amazing we have spent so much under ten hag and the squad still has huge deficiencies. Think it's due to the lack of sporting director prior to this summer but also ten hags squad building has been utterly terrible

In the absence of a standout alternative I don’t have a major issue with Ten Hag right now. With that said, both football and results must improve otherwise he’s in trouble.

I forgot about the southgate links, if ashworth really is good at his job he surely knows Gareth isn't up to the job.

Having said that I don't think Gareth would make us any worse. I think we will be around 6th to 8th in the league under ten hag with the occasional inkling of improvement but that's it

This is what I had in mind but I think we will go for fresh ideas or a young coach like the Bournemouth guy if continues to do well. If we must have an British manager I think we will track McKenna and see how he does. Another scary angle is Ruud becoming a caretaker and impressing sentimentalists enough to get the critical mass to pressure the club into giving him the permanent gig.
We have done a decent job selling but as you say left back and the forward line arr real weaknesses. It also remains to be seen how good our central midfield will be.

It's still amazing we have spent so much under ten hag and the squad still has huge deficiencies. Think it's due to the lack of sporting director prior to this summer but also ten hags squad building has been utterly terrible
This, the guys we let go - Murtough and Arnold - were just too weak to be firm on him. If Hoijlund doesn't work we are fecked because that would be another 80m purchase required next season when in reality next summer should be about getting a top winger or two to address creativity issues.

I forgot about the southgate links, if ashworth really is good at his job he surely knows Gareth isn't up to the job.

Having said that I don't think Gareth would make us any worse. I think we will be around 6th to 8th in the league under ten hag with the occasional inkling of improvement but that's it

I think Southgate could make us significantly worse, to be honest.

Say what you will about Ten Hag and the gaping hole that is the midfield, but in his defence he at least wants us to be proactive and attacking.

Southgate is not a United manager.

We will see how the transfers will work out but it was the first window for a long time where you got the feeling it is managed professionally. Especially on the outgoing front

Good to have some competence in transfer dealings. I still think that because it's Utd, buying clubs know they can low ball us but just because of the name and not necessarily the conditions of the contract.

This, the guys we let go - Murtough and Arnold - were just too weak to be firm on him.
This is key and often gets overlooked in all the talk about vetos. In such things power dynamics is key.

Although Murtough might have nominally had same input as EtH, in practice he was a guy out-of-his depth in his position and EtH was a shiny new manager with credit in the bank.

Now EtH‘s position is not as strong having narrowly avoided the sack, and the likes of Ashworth are new guys with a good CV hired by the new regime, so it is easier for them to have their way. And so it should be as EtH talent id is questionable to say the least

This is key and often gets overlooked in all the talk about vetos. In such things power dynamics is key.

Although Murtough might have nominally had same input as EtH, in practice he was a guy out-of-his depth in his position and EtH was a shiny new manager with credit in the bank.

Now EtH‘s position is not as strong having narrowly avoided the sack, and the likes of Ashworth are new guys with a good CV hired by the new regime, so it is easier for them to have their way. And so it should be as EtH talent id is questionable to say the least
Comparison with his old club is interesting. Newcastle have had a really poor transfer window culminating in a failed last minute bid for Elanga. Howe has been granted too much power vis a vis Mitchell in the recruitment; going after only the palace cb when palace had sold their other cb seemed a risky strategy ie they don’t sell or you get ripped off in the price. At least Utd have shown a willingness to contemplate other targets if they couldn’t get a deal done whereas Howe undermined Newcastle’s negotiating position.

Howe is on borrowed time.

He's done well. Onwards.

Its still funny to me how posters used to write essays about how Murtough was a great DOF :lol:

He's done well. Onwards.

Its still funny to me how posters used to write essays about how Murtough was a great DOF :lol:

Wouldn't single out Murtough. It took an entire reshuffling right from the CEO to get us to this level. Ashworth under Woodward would have been as bad as Murtough.

Murtough abdicated on his key result area which was to take care of the club's interest regardless of who is manager because the shit decisions managers force clubs into tend to stay with the club, paying for their implications, long after they move on. He should have stamped his foot down on Antony, at the very least, and said no we are not doing that.

Wouldn't single out Murtough. It took an entire reshuffling right from the CEO to get us to this level. Ashworth under Woodward would have been as bad as Murtough.
Maybe. We have a new DOF, a new Director of Recruitment, a new Technical Director, and a new CEO.