Dan Ashworth 2024/2025

Are people legit losing their minds over Ashworth because of us potentially signing Sterling? I honestly think he’ll be better than both Sancho and Antony would this season. Even the way Rashfords been this past year, Sterling doesn’t have much of bar to rise up too.

Providing we’re not signing him on mega wages and giving him 5 year contract like a certain Ed Woodward, I’m fine with that.
Not really people, as in plural. More like one poster. Maybe a couple others at most.

Sterling wont accept a paycut, why will he accept a pay cut? we are not getting any major trophies and he wont be paid half what Rasford and Bruno are taking home.
He is arguably more decorated than everyone at united apart from Casemiro, so he wont take a pay cut to join our rebuilding when he has nothing to prove. It will be a stupid move from him

If he gets a pay out from Chelsea in order to sign elsewhere he’ll happily take a pay cut. The only other option would be Saudi as no top club will pay him £300k a week.

Chelsea would of course be daft to pay him off. But they’ve removed him from the squad and owe him around £46m in wages (£300k x 156 weeks) per his contract. Giving him £15m to leave would allow him to seek a £31m contract from his new club. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

What has he really achieved ? He has it all to prove. Brighton were doing alright before he joined and have continued to do so since he left. He has not made any difference to Newcastle, that much is known by everyone.

Has it all to prove
You should read and educate yourself on someone before you decide to shit on that person with totally unsubstantiated claims but then again if you are posting like this I know to expect better than to expect you to educate yourself and do some research.

You should read and educate yourself on someone before you decide to shit on that person with totally unsubstantiated claims but then again if you are posting like this I know to expect better than to expect you to educate yourself and do some research.
Exactly right, you just have look at his time at the England youth setup before he left for Brighton. Changed the way all age levels played and the youths started winning cups.

Well am a football fan and I have been around for a bit, it is condescending of you to suggest you know better when their is no evidence to suggest that. There is no evidence he has done anything spectacular at club level, cant care less what he has done with the FA as that is a different scenario

Well am a football fan and I have been around for a bit, it is condescending of you to suggest you know better when their is no evidence to suggest that. There is no evidence he has done anything spectacular at club level, cant care less what he has done with the FA as that is a different scenario
Again if you fail to research and read about Ashton then claim there is no evidence he is as good as he is then I feel it’s a waste of time going back and forth no matter how long you’ve been a football fan.

Have a feeling this dude is all hype and no substance. He will be the final nail on our coffin. To even entertain Sterling is beyond ridiculous

This post is embarrassing. Take a break from the caf, is my advice.

If he gets a pay out from Chelsea in order to sign elsewhere he’ll happily take a pay cut. The only other option would be Saudi as no top club will pay him £300k a week.

Chelsea would of course be daft to pay him off. But they’ve removed him from the squad and owe him around £46m in wages (£300k x 156 weeks) per his contract. Giving him £15m to leave would allow him to seek a £31m contract from his new club. Not beyond the realms of possibility.
Yeah only no one would offer him £31M at his age. Max he gets is a £20M. So Chelsea would have to do a £26M payoff

we’ve managed to sell some players, offload some deadwood, not been bent over barrel for our targets and are being creative in getting rid of sancho. considering he couldn’t start until about 7 weeks ago, it’s been a more than impressive start and night and day compared to the last decade.

Yeah only no one would offer him £31M at his age. Max he gets is a £20M. So Chelsea would have to do a £26M payoff

Yeah they would I think. £150k for four years is £31m. The numbers could slide around and work but all parties; Player, Chelsea, and Buyer, will have to make some Concessions.

Sterling seems to be a really good fella. Loves football. I can’t see him sitting out a contract, or going to a shit league for coin.

I think he’d tear it up in Italy. He’d probably get £150k/4 years there if the right manager believed in him. Perhaps.

Calm down. He's done a great job so far. This transfer window has been one of our best in a long time regardless if we get Sterling or not.
I agree. We're actually selling players rather than letting them go on a free. That's a first!

we’ve managed to sell some players, offload some deadwood, not been bent over barrel for our targets and are being creative in getting rid of sancho. considering he couldn’t start until about 7 weeks ago, it’s been a more than impressive start and night and day compared to the last decade.
100% this. We actually seem to have a vision and a plan now.

This post is embarrassing. Take a break from the caf, is my advice.
Take a break from football is better advice for that poster I think. How is it possible to be that miserable about everything to do with the club/sport you supposedly love? Weird behaviour.

What has he really achieved ? He has it all to prove. Brighton were doing alright before he joined and have continued to do so since he left. He has not made any difference to Newcastle, that much is known by everyone.

Has it all to prove
This is wrong Brighton were promoted to the prem without him, but he joined a few months after Potter and together with him and Bloom the three of them changed our club completely. Writing off what he did at Brighton is just wrong and uniformed.

Sterling wont accept a paycut, why will he accept a pay cut?

Pretty sure all reports say that’s exactly what De Ligt just did.

Considering the player Sterling is and the press release from his camp last weekend, he’s clearly not a player that will just be happy ending his career at 29 and taking a fat pay cheque in the reserves.

I know the Sterling rumours are surprising, although I had already wondered if there was an opportunity to get a decent player heavily discounted by the absolute mess that is Chelsea at the moment.

However, people are probably still freaked out about the malicious Southgate rumours, and so these Sterlings ones in addition to those are probably what's getting people nervous about DA.

There's plenty to be positive about with our transfers this summer, and you can't fix everything all at once.

Atleast Newcastle got 2m for Ashworth and Mitchell is wayyy better right ??

Having a meltdown just because we were linked to Sterling even after the window we just had is mental.

Sterling for Sancho is a great deal..

Decent player, works hard, and played at the top level.

I don't like what I've seen from Sancho at all. It hasn't worked out for him here at all and if we believe reports he can't even turn up to work on time. Get rid.

Sterling for Sancho is a great deal..

Decent player, works hard, and played at the top level.

I don't like what I've seen from Sancho at all. It hasn't worked out for him here at all and if we believe reports he can't even turn up to work on time. Get rid.

I would rather just a straight sale even on the low side. Sterling is an ok stopgap but we all know that we will be looking to cut him loose or upgrade after a season or two at best. He can still be an attacking threat but I think we should be trying to sign another youngster with major potential if Sancho leaves.

I would rather just a straight sale even on the low side. Sterling is an ok stopgap but we all know that we will be looking to cut him loose or upgrade after a season or two at best. He can still be an attacking threat but I think we should be trying to sign another youngster with major potential if Sancho leaves.
I think that’s what they’re looking for - someone experienced who’s played at the highest level and able to guide our already inexperienced front line.

You always need some maturity and experience in every area on the field. For defence we have Maguire and De Ligt. For Midfield we have Case and Bruno. For attack we have no maturity (don’t tell me Rashford - this dude can’t even sort himself out).

Last edited:
I read your whole post thinking there must be something funny coming up but it was normal

Dan Ashworth was brilliant at Brighton and I was gutted when he went to Newcastle. He will rebuild respect for United within the transfer market if he hasn’t already done so to a certain extent. Something you guys could do with after years of mismanagement in that area.
Agreed. We badly needed someone who is actually good at the job.

Dan and the team have done some pretty impressive work for a first window ,I just pray our signings work out well!

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5274684/2024/02/14/dan-ashworth-manchester-united-who-is/

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5275694/2024/02/15/why-manchester-united-want-dan-ashworth/

You are welcome.

All he’s done is get a great deal for Greenwood, an excellent deal for McTominay and landed every single Summer target.
What’s impressive about that?
It's not exactly true though. We wanted branthwaite and olise and didn't get them. But I do agree with your general sentiment.

I also think Sterling is a terrible idea but while I disagree with ashworth wanting him, he isn't perfect and will make mistakes just like each and every person in the world does.

It's not exactly true though. We wanted branthwaite and olise and didn't get them. But I do agree with your general sentiment.

I also think Sterling is a terrible idea but while I disagree with ashworth wanting him, he isn't perfect and will make mistakes just like each and every person in the world does.
It's impressed me even more, drawing a line under those player and moving on when the price is too high.

Something the club has been poor at doing in recent years.

Guys @E-mal is allowed to be hysterical based on a rumour because... *checks notes* ..he's a football fan and he's been around for a bit.

Did we really have Olise as a top target? Has Ornstein confirmed that? I just recall him saying no concrete talks had taken place between United or Chelsea with Crystal Palace. And it was announced very early that he was going to Munich.

Branthwaite was clearly one of him or Yoro, so I’d argue we absolutely got our top target there despite us likely starting the window thinking Yoro was extremely unlikely and exploring the Everton man. Most telling there was how we were prepared to go much higher for Yoro and that once we confirmed serious interest from the Frenchman, we never went back to Everton.

Last edited:
I love the visibilty of the new management. They are front and centre where they should be.