Conor Gallagher | AtletiGO?

Well sure. I've also watched every minute he played this season; my eye test happens to agree with the numbers - he's just not good enough in the final third to be an attacking midfielder and he's not good enough at ball progression to be a central midfielder in a top team that wants to have the ball the majority of the time.

He'd be a perfect midfielder for someone who is happy to sit deep - under someone like Conte he'd be great. When Poch was doing his chaos ball nonsense, Gallagher was a standout at times - but he's just not someone who is suited to a side playing possession football.
This is a perfect analysis, although I might go so far as to say he’d be dangerous for a possession based team, losing the ball in awkward places and times that causes issues.

I would not be averse to keeping Conor, because I love and he’s proved me wrong and improved before; ultra professional, great willpower, leader.

I honestly don’t think they HAVE to sell him either, but there will be a few caveats:

1. He couldn’t be on a star contract, or he’d need to be on an incentivized contract that only kicked up into the star range if he was starting a certain number of games.

2. Following off that, he would need to know, for his own good as well, that he probably would t be chosen starter under Maresca at his current technical level. Two years ago Conor often wouldn’t see a defender about to pounce on an ill advised pass straight across the ground to a teammate 20 yards away … because he needed to look down at the ball to make proper contact.

Pep had youth players he would play in his system rather than Conor two years ago, and that’s how we have to look at it. Maresca penalizes players in practice for sending a pass to the wrong foot; Conor has ways to go.

Prove me wrong again Conor. I really would love that.

3. A lot of his quality and leadership tend to evaporate in the other direction if he doesn’t play a LOT. He needs to be able to play better coming off the bench, and he needs to be the leader that says “you know what? I got beat in training, any of us can, and the best performer plays -chins up”. He’s worth a salary in the 150’s a week for that alone if he can do it. But it’s a lot to ask someone with the level of confidence he has … who loves playing that much.

If he does go, he suits the Emery style much better. He would have been a monster under Klopp. The Aston Villa project is great… so I’d be pretty happy for him on that front. I’d probably watch a ton of Vila games as well.

Will be the ultimate flirting vs harassment if Gallagher and Sterling both sit on their deals.

We seem to be dangling Jhon Duran in your direction to try and get some movement on this deal before June 30th.

One of those odd deals that isn't quite a swop but you pay an inflated fee for Duran to get us off the FFP hook and then we return the favour a week or so later with Gallagher.

Only issue is Duran would walk down to Stamford Bridge and I don't think Gallagher actually wants to join us.

Still nice to find some new FFP buddies.... :lol:

We seem to be dangling Jhon Duran in your direction to try and get some movement on this deal before June 30th.

One of those odd deals that isn't quite a swop but you pay an inflated fee for Duran to get us off the FFP hook and then we return the favour a week or so later with Gallagher.

Only issue is Duran would walk down to Stamford Bridge and I don't think Gallagher actually wants to join us.

Still nice to find some new FFP buddies.... :lol:
I dont think the June 30th date is as pressing for Chelsea.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...-this-month-to-comply-with-premier-league-psr

The likes of Maatsen and Broja are as good as gone but there's no desperate rush to get things done prior to July.

We could also do with the likes of Guehi, Hudson-Odoi and Musiala making moves for that sell on clause dosh.

Last edited:
One of the worst players I’ve ever seen. Chelsea are extraordinary sellers. They’d sell McTominay for a fee which makes Neymar look cheap

It's a joke the club are sacrificing Gallagher to balance the books just so they can spend tens of millions on some random teenager talents from Brazil or wherever. Just the last few days alone we've seen credible reports about Gabriel Mec, Mike Penders and Aaron Anselmino for 15-20M€ a pop, none of which are going to be of any use to the club for at least another 3-4 years if even then.

The directors are completely obsessed with youth players, as long as they're from anywhere else around the world rather than the club's own academy. Fecking scumbags the lot.

One of the worst players I’ve ever seen. Chelsea are extraordinary sellers. They’d sell McTominay for a fee which makes Neymar look cheap
One of the worst players you’ve ever seen plies his trade in the Premier League? Must not watch much football. But yes, Chelsea do fetch a pretty penny for relatively mediocre players.

One of the worst players you’ve ever seen plies his trade in the Premier League? Must not watch much football. But yes, Chelsea do fetch a pretty penny for relatively mediocre players.
Every time I’ve seen him he’s been the worst player on the pitch. I could do that!

Chelsea always seem to play him, yet have been clearly desperate to sell him for what seems ages now.

They're a very odd club.

This looks like a good deal for all sides to me.

I don't know what other options he truly had but I credit Gallagher for being willing to go abroad.

It's a joke the club are sacrificing Gallagher to balance the books just so they can spend tens of millions on some random teenager talents from Brazil or wherever. Just the last few days alone we've seen credible reports about Gabriel Mec, Mike Penders and Aaron Anselmino for 15-20M€ a pop, none of which are going to be of any use to the club for at least another 3-4 years if even then.

The directors are completely obsessed with youth players, as long as they're from anywhere else around the world rather than the club's own academy. Fecking scumbags the lot.

It's very annoying honestly. It's like they've learned nothing. I don't mind signing the odd gem here and there, but just hoovering anything that breathes in South America is so annoying. I know they'll say if just one of these signings turns out to be a global superstar it will have been worth it, and I'm sure that is what they're thinking but in the meantime they're sending the completely wrong message to the kids coming through the academy. We've already lost one gem to Liverpool.

On this deal specifically, I'm glad he isn't going to Tottenham at least. Will be very sad to see him leave.

I could see him doing well at Atletico. Hes got a lot of fight and energy about him.

I could see him doing well at Atletico. Hes got a lot of fight and energy about him.
But they already have De Paul, who's basically just better looking Conor Gallagher.

Chelsea always seem to play him, yet have been clearly desperate to sell him for what seems ages now.

They're a very odd club.

Because Poch rated him, but the people in charge of recruitment dont.

Nothing to do with balancing the books, they dont rate him. The pure profit is just a bonus.
I think Gallagher will turn it down anyway, if iwas him i would walk ona feee at the end of the season. More money and more options that way and you laugh at Chelsea on the way out because as they get nothing.
However he may have to sacrifice a whole season of not playing to do that.

As much as I dislike Chelsea, got to admire the fees they get. Even for shite players like him, overrated English player with a year left. Fair play to them.

Seems like a reasonable fee for PL level talent in his prime. We probably would've gotten the same for McT at that age, but Woody would've held out for 60-70 instead

Chelsea did this with Mount too, and Lewis Hall to an extent. When the briefing begins, you know the club has begun exerting aggressive pressure on him via the media.

They’ve been actively trying to push him out of the club for nearly 2 years but now they want the narrative to be ‘he doesn’t want to stay, we tried to keep him’.

Chelsea did this with Mount too, and Lewis Hall to an extent. When the briefing begins, you know the club has begun exerting aggressive pressure on him via the media.

They’ve been actively trying to push him out of the club for nearly 2 years but now they want the narrative to be ‘he doesn’t want to stay, we tried to keep him’.

It worked with Mount as well with some idiot Chelsea fans.

Gallagher isn’t suited to play for our team at all. He is a physical, pressing monster, but in complicated systems he’s in the wrong spot. If you want him playing in tight areas … his first touch is famously erratic.

I always thought Gallagher would have suited Liverpool well under Klopp. He would fit really well at Atleti.

The dumbest thing about these money only arguments I’ve seen though is the fact that he is your classic poster boy. Popular, good looking, England national squad. They came in looking for people they could create alternate revenue streams with, especially through marketing. Gallagher would be PERFECT … except that he isnt that special as a player.

They offered Chalobah an extension nearly right away. Prior to the whole attitude doctor study, they thought he at least had a chance to play a big part.

Ornstein confirmed we have never offered an extension to Conor prior to the last months, to protect investment

Tons of heart. Love that he loves the club. But Palmer and even possibly Nkunku are moving into the the midfield 3, depending on how we set up for particular teams. Lavia, Caicedo, Palmer, Enzo, and even KDH fit better into a side that plays our style better. And this is the style they want, at all levels of the organization. So even if he outlasted Maresca… the teams under the banner and the youth would still be playing this technical style.

I think Santos fits what we are doing better, and he’s getting loaned.

Gallagher fits better than Lesley… but he will want and deserve a bigger role and salary than that.

They have gone to pretty great lengths to work things out with a very good team that really wants him. If he would rather spend a year in Siberia, essentially away from football, that will be his choice.

Have any of the midfielders favored out performed him?

He might feel there’s still a chance he can play if the system doesn’t work.

Hold off six months and sign a pre contract with Athletico with a huge signing bonus. He’d be crazy to move now.

Would also point out Fabrizio and Ornstein fueling the narrative by talking about Gallagher rejecting a '3 year contract offer' when in fact it's a bullshit one year extension to his current deal with a one-sided club option for another year. Fully expected something like that from Romano who's always been for sale to the highest bidder but I guess I was foolish to expect more journalistic integrity from Ornstein.

For a club that offers ridiculously long term deals on a whim to just about any talented player out there, a 2 year contract for a player of Gallagher's age seems like a massive 'feck you' from the board.

We can blame the PSR rules as much as the owners. I hope he gives the owners the finger, frankly. It's ridiculous that we're selling all our academy products to fund some private equity new paradigm strategy so they can ultimately line their pockets. Football has become a pretty disgusting and grubby sport these days.