Conor Gallagher | AtletiGO?

Would also point out Fabrizio and Ornstein fueling the narrative by talking about Gallagher rejecting a '3 year contract offer' when in fact it's a bullshit one year extension to his current deal with a one-sided club option for another year. Fully expected something like that from Romano who's always been for sale to the highest bidder but I guess I was foolish to expect more journalistic integrity from Ornstein.

For a club that offers ridiculously long term deals on a whim to just about any talented player out there, a 2 year contract for a player of Gallagher's age seems like a massive 'feck you' from the board.

It's probably been leaked as they expect Gallagher to end up at Tottenham and they look better to the fans if they claim he rejected a 3 year deal and they had to take the money from Spurs as he rejected Athletico. I think Chelsea fans would be furious if they just accepted a 35 million euro bid from Spurs, so a narrative is being created to make it more tolerable.

Would also point out Fabrizio and Ornstein fueling the narrative by talking about Gallagher rejecting a '3 year contract offer' when in fact it's a bullshit one year extension to his current deal with a one-sided club option for another year. Fully expected something like that from Romano who's always been for sale to the highest bidder but I guess I was foolish to expect more journalistic integrity from Ornstein.

For a club that offers ridiculously long term deals on a whim to just about any talented player out there, a 2 year contract for a player of Gallagher's age seems like a massive 'feck you' from the board.
They didn’t want to offer him at all. They are trying to protect the clubs substantial investment in Gallagher, as an institution. Thats what they should do; they have a literal responsibility to the people investing all this money to at least try.

If Conor wants to run his contract down while not playing football, he has that right.

We offer VERY long deals to players we want to keep and that are on lower, incentive-based wage structures. Because of this, literally at any time, you can either sell them (because they are affordable), or re-negotiate because they deserve increased terms (like Palmer). As long as the contracts are within a players foreseeable career, the length is literally irrelevant.

The length of the extension offer is also irrelevant, for different reasons. Conor has been adamant that even if he has a month left he wants to stay and try to prove he can be “the guy”. And now there are complaints that the second or third year is a team only option? Duh. They have already had the break up meeting with him. The “thank you for your service, but the team has decided to go on a different direction” talk…. Several times. Over the course of nearly two years.

So now, at minimum, there is an offer on the table to give him another year. But it won’t be the contract HE wants. Just like with Mount. Hell Mount even thought he should be wearing the 7 Jersey at United ….

At least Lukaku was honest about wishing to sabotage the club.

The Club (and the football guys that run it , NOT just the owners) believe Colwill, James, and others are good enough. Great. They made the decision that Gallagher and others aren’t. End of discussion really.

Did they plan on making money from him when they decided he wasn’t part of the long term plans? Yes. If you want the club to do well you better hope they have that much foresight at least. But they will have alternate plans for replacing the revenue.

But this absurd notion that he is good enough to be the star of the team, on the kind of money Mount is at United (because YES he does want that), and the team are only selling him because they are greedy is stupid. He simply isn’t.

At least Lukaku was honest about wishing to sabotage the club.

The Club (and the football guys that run it , NOT just the owners) believe Colwill, James, and others are good enough. Great. They made the decision that Gallagher and others aren’t. End of discussion really.

Poch played him every game last season, whilst they were trying to sell him. Who gives a shit if Winstanley and Stewart thinks Gallagher isn't good enough? They also shoved Lewis Hall out of the door and he's better than every single LB we have at the club. Poch clearly thought he was good enough, and now they aren't even giving Maresca the chance to assess him for himself.

All of that and your take away from this is that Gallagher is the one sabotaging the club? Yikes. Madness.

No idea why people are happy with owners who are in it for their own profit and using borrowed money to do it.

Part of that is selling all the academy players to manipulate the psr rules.

If Connor refuses to go, fans should get behind him. I doubt he wants the hassle but you never know.

We aren’t selling all our academy players, we are selling the ones who aren’t good enough to become a mainstay in the starting lineup, there’s a difference. As long as we have a tiny stadium in comparison to our rivals this type of stuff, selling hotels to ourselves etc will continue.

As long as it doesn’t get to the point where we are being forced to sell our best academy players, sentiment aside, I don’t think its as big a deal as people are making out.

We aren’t selling all our academy players, we are selling the ones who aren’t good enough to become a mainstay in the starting lineup, there’s a difference. As long as we have a tiny stadium in comparison to our rivals this type of stuff, selling hotels to ourselves etc will continue.

As long as it doesn’t get to the point where we are being forced to sell our best academy players, sentiment aside, I don’t think its as big a deal as people are making out.

Even that is a bit silly because you have to replace these 'squad level' players with other players of comparable level. For example we've signed KDH and Ugochukwu for roughly the same amount each they're trying to sell Gallagher for. Lewis Hall is easily good enough to be regular starter. He was shipped out too, accompanied with briefings that he wanted to leave.

It makes no sense to spend 30-40-50m on replacement level squad players when you can supplement the big money buys that actually move the needle with homegrown talent.

Poch played him every game last season, whilst they were trying to sell him. Who gives a shit if Winstanley and Stewart thinks Gallagher isn't good enough? They also shoved Lewis Hall out of the door and he's better than every single LB we have at the club. Poch clearly thought he was good enough, and now they aren't even giving Maresca the chance to assess him for himself.

All of that and your take away from this is that Gallagher is the one sabotaging the club? Yikes. Madness.

Exactly. The club leaders are obviously counting on enough useful idiots like @Bluelion7 drinking the Kool-Aid and spreading the company propaganda so wide it becomes the leading narrative.

It's a really weird and a rather new phenomenom that some people seem more fans of the club owners rather than the club itself. They trust every media briefing at face value without ever forming any opinions themselves that could in any way contradict the 'official company policy'. The mental gymnastics it takes to be a 'fan' like that must be exhausting.

Even that is a bit silly because you have to replace these 'squad level' players with other players of comparable level. For example we've signed KDH and Ugochukwu for roughly the same amount each they're trying to sell Gallagher for. Lewis Hall is easily good enough to be regular starter. He was shipped out too, accompanied with briefings that he wanted to leave.

It makes no sense to spend 30-40-50m on replacement level squad players when you can supplement the big money buys that actually move the needle with homegrown talent.

That’s the way of things though. If Gallagher doesn’t really fit the style of play the manager and the club want, and that can extend past Enzo if he leaves prematurely, then it makes sense to bring players in like KDH who can play the way we want whether that be as a starter or as rotation.

Buying and selling players isn’t a 1:1 aswell in the way it’s accounted so it falls more on the talent identification and getting that right when replacing the players. I don’t think anyone can argue that we hit the jackpot in effectively replacing Mount (or Kai) for 60/70m with Palmer for 40m.

I agree with the point about using the money on ready made players but the only problem with that is the wages they would command. These owners wouldn’t even go to 200k for Olise, who was only coming from Palace.

We can stop pretending he wants to stay and is being bullied out of the club.

A 2+1 year contract is hardly what you'd expect as an important first team player is it? Especially when you're handing out 7s and 8s to kids that have done nothing.

A 2+1 year contract is hardly what you'd expect as an important first team player is it? Especially when you're handing out 7s and 8s to kids that have done nothing.
How important he is, is up for debate. Lavia is looking great, Caicedo was outstanding the second half of last year. Enzo is ahead of him. He can also have a 7 year contract at the wages plus incentives they are giving to these kids. He wants top pay. None of the long contracts are structured that way.

How important he is, is up for debate. Lavia is looking great, Caicedo was outstanding the second half of last year. Enzo is ahead of him. He can also have a 7 year contract at the wages plus incentives they are giving to these kids. He wants top pay. None of the long contracts are structured that way.
Ok but a 2+1 deal is not normal for a first team player at the age of 24. You can say that's evidence that you're not pushing him out but it's hardly telling him that he's particularly valued and wanted in the long-term is it? If he was then you'd be offering him a five year deal. All that deal says to me, and I assume Gallagher as well, is that it's just to protect his value whilst still looking to move him on.

No idea why people are happy with owners who are in it for their own profit and using borrowed money to do it.

Part of that is selling all the academy players to manipulate the psr rules.

If Connor refuses to go, fans should get behind him. I doubt he wants the hassle but you never know.
I want what’s best for the club, not Conor Gallagher. And what’s best for the club is him going and us getting a decent fee.

Between players returning from injury and new players signed, he now has no place in the team or in this new system. Him staying and wasting away on the bench for a season in a prime year of his career would be silly, regardless of how it would be fit him a year from now.

That’s the way of things though. If Gallagher doesn’t really fit the style of play the manager and the club want, and that can extend past Enzo if he leaves prematurely, then it makes sense to bring players in like KDH who can play the way we want whether that be as a starter or as rotation.

Buying and selling players isn’t a 1:1 aswell in the way it’s accounted so it falls more on the talent identification and getting that right when replacing the players. I don’t think anyone can argue that we hit the jackpot in effectively replacing Mount (or Kai) for 60/70m with Palmer for 40m.

I agree with the point about using the money on ready made players but the only problem with that is the wages they would command. These owners wouldn’t even go to 200k for Olise, who was only coming from Palace.

I think they should let Maresca determine that then. I'm fine with them recruiting and using their supposed talent ID to find new talent. Let the coaches decide which members of the current squad aren't good enough.

This is why I don't buy this stuff about the owners just not rating him. I think they see him as a cash cow and trust me, it won't be long before we start hearing about Colwill being on the transfer market, and then we'll see the same old arguments from Clearlake fans (not you, but others we both know) that we heard when Mount, Hall, Chalobah and Gallagher were chased out of town - 'he wants to leave', 'he wants to be paid top dollar' and then eventually 'he's sabotaging the club'.

Ok but a 2+1 deal is not normal for a first team player at the age of 24. You can say that's evidence that you're not pushing him out but it's hardly telling him that he's particularly valued and wanted in the long-term is it? If he was then you'd be offering him a five year deal. All that deal says to me, and I assume Gallagher as well, is that it's just to protect his value whilst still looking to move him on.

They tried the short term contract trick with Mount too and he saw right through it and rejected those offers and the club declared a PR war against him with briefing after briefing painting him in a negative light, and it worked sadly, because half the fanbase now hate Mount.

Last edited:
They tried the short term contract trick with Mount too and he saw right through it and rejected those offers and the club declared a PR war against with briefing after briefing painting him in a negative light, and it worked sadly, because half the fanbase now hate Mount.
His father’s statements after joining United painted him in a much more negative light with the fans that supported him.

I'm curious where Gallagher wants to go (beyond staying at Chelsea under a manager that values him, which would be his obvious first choice). He apparently rejected Villa and doesn't seem to be jumping at the Atletico opportunity. I would think he would have mixed feelings (at best) about Spurs, given his Chelsea through and through background.

Newcastle seems like maybe the best fit, and was at one point reported to be very interested, but they don't seem to have the funds this summer. Maybe they are telling him they will give him a pre-contract in January if he sticks it out at Chelsea.

His father’s statements after joining United painted him in a much more negative light with the fans that supported him.

Do you mean the footage of them talking to each other in United's dressing room, after he'd signed for them, where Mount's father calls United 'home'?

I'm curious where Gallagher wants to go (beyond staying at Chelsea under a manager that values him, which would be his obvious first choice). He apparently rejected Villa and doesn't seem to be jumping at the Atletico opportunity. I would think he would have mixed feelings (at best) about Spurs, given his Chelsea through and through background.

Newcastle seems like maybe the best fit, and was at one point reported to be very interested, but they don't seem to have the funds this summer. Maybe they are telling him they will give him a pre-contract in January if he sticks it out at Chelsea.

Probably waiting on us flipping from Ugarte to him instead. He can get a wedge like Mount, and he doesn’t even really have to play. He can just kind of turn up and get paid. Seems like a lot less hassle than having to deal with Simeone on a daily basis.

Do you mean the footage of them talking to each other in United's dressing room, after he'd signed for them, where Mount's father calls United 'home'?
I think he meant the ISIS style "goodbye" video filmed months in advance.

I think he meant the ISIS style "goodbye" video filmed months in advance.

He said Mount’s father made a statement after the transfer, so I don’t thinks it’s the goodbye video.

Who is saying that?
He is. Not openly, but with the demands of what he wants. People tried to say Mount wasn’t asking for that either, then he goes and demands the 7 jersey from United….

Let’s look: Gallagher wants to stay a captain. He’s said he can’t play well unless he gets to play every week, and Poch was a genius for realizing that’s what the team needed. He wants a contract in the Reece James vicinity, which, frankly, Reece James probably wouldn’t get now that the new structure is fully in place.

So… Captain. Large, extended contract. On the team sheet every week. What else would you call that?

And … he can probably get most of those things …. at Atleti.

He is. Not openly, but with the demands of what he wants. People tried to say Mount wasn’t asking for that either, then he goes and demands the 7 jersey from United….

Let’s look: Gallagher wants to stay a captain. He’s said he can’t play well unless he gets to play every week, and Poch was a genius for realizing that’s what the team needed. He wants a contract in the Reece James vicinity, which, frankly, Reece James probably wouldn’t get now that the new structure is fully in place.

So… Captain. Large, extended contract. On the team sheet every week. What else would you call that?

You've just made pretty much all that up and no number of ellipses changes that.

I thought he would have been a perfect fit at Liverpool… at least under Klopp.

There’s an argument to be made he should’ve demanded to stay at Palace.

Newcastle would’ve been interesting. Trippiers right though: Atleti suits him to the bone. Whatever else, Gallagher is not soft.

You've just made pretty much all that up and no number of ellipses changes that.
What part do you think I’ve made up?

There were several articles, especially around April discussing how being Captain was always what Gallagher envisioned for himself at Chelsea.

Around the same time there were articles where Gallagher himself admitted he did not play well if he didn’t play every week. He said he “needs” it, and I believe him. He’s better the farther into a game he gets as well. So it makes sense.

You can find articles on that subject going back to his time at Palace.

On the salary level? I am guessing, but it is an informed guess based on the fact that we know he, Mount and others were discussing how James got in “under the wire” with his contract. This proved to be true in Mounts case; who ended up with a BIG deal.

A deal over 200k a week is also the only way at this point they could show they are serious about him getting the one thing he needs: starts

Offer him 120 to 150/wk the same as the others … see if he believes them.

No, he would need that contract to justify his faith in his position at the team at this point. The money would equal assurances.

So:

Every week starter
Captain or co Captain
Big contract that reassures him

That he expects to be the "star of the team". Utter bollocks that you've just dreamt up out of nowhere

Also that being not being given the captaincy full time would have an impact on his decision to stay. Again, utter bollocks. Of course he's said in the past he wants to be captain, interview almost any young player and they'll say that's their dream, you paint it as if it's a "give me the armband or I'm off" move.

He wants to play and he wants to earn the same as others, not more in a similar length contract.

If the club don't rate him then that's fine but there's no need for horse shit about him expecting to be the star of the team.

That he expects to be the "star of the team". Utter bollocks that you've just dreamt up out of nowhere

Also that being not being given the captaincy full time would have an impact on his decision to stay. Again, utter bollocks. Of course he's said in the past he wants to be captain, interview almost any young player and they'll say that's their dream, you paint it as if it's a "give me the armband or I'm off" move.

He wants to play and he wants to earn the same as others, not more.

If the club don't rate him then that's fine but there's no need for horse shit about him wanting to be the star of the team.
He wants to be captain, he wants assurances on starts, and he wants a contract that proves to him they will deliver those things.

Thats what a “star” is Duff.

He knows Chilwell isn’t long for this world at Chelsea. If he is starting regularly, as a former academy player of the year, you don’t think he’d expect co captaincy?

He absolutely would NOT sign a contract paying him the 150 or so plus incentives Enzo and Caicedo are on now. He wants a bigger commitment. People are flogging the 2 plus 1, but that would be 3 years at Chelsea, on wages par with the highest mids at the club. A lot can happen in 3 years.

Remember everyone said Mount wasn’t Looking for a Reece-like contract during his whole debacle as well. I was called “anti Chelsea players” then as well. Annnnd that’s exactly what was happening.

You don’t think Gallagher sees himself as a star?

Do you think he would stay at Chelsea on a 150k/week contract for 6 years with hopes of coming on in the 70th minute to provide extra press (something he would t do well, because he doesn’t do well coming in cold)? Maybe getting the occasional start due to injuries?

I don’t think Gallagher is built that way. I think you are mistaking my use of “Star” as derogatory. It’s not. He should shoot for stardom. Heck at Palace he was practically worshipped.

I think he CAN be a star at Atleti.

Part of me just gets a little irritated at the idea of entitlement for academy players. I watch a LOT of Chelsea academy games. Nobody is shedding tears for Harvey Vale. He’s given everything progressing through the academy since he was twelve? He may make a roster somewhere once he’s done with loans.

I mention him because he won Academy player of the year just like Conor and Mason (which I’m sure you probably know).

But the Chelsea “legend” for the horrible shirt unveil was a guy who came up through Lille and left us for Real Madrid.

Our academy was set up to bring players through for eventual loans. We all know it. They paid little attention to what the first team was doing and focused on youth trophies. I appreciate their service.

But instead of tearing down the new ownership group for not choosing Gallagher over better options, maybe we should be thanking them for bringing in a structure that more resembles City’s Elite Development Squad for the youth, so they actually CAN be the right players for the team when the time comes. The best players stay. The rest make us money… while also getting awesome jobs for themselves either way.

He wants to be captain, he wants assurances on starts, and he wants a contract that proves to him they will deliver those things.

Thats what a “star” is Duff.

He knows Chilwell isn’t long for this world at Chelsea. If he is starting regularly, as a former academy player of the year, you don’t think he’d expect co captaincy?

He absolutely would NOT sign a contract paying him the 150 or so plus incentives Enzo and Caicedo are on now. He wants a bigger commitment. People are flogging the 2 plus 1, but that would be 3 years at Chelsea, on wages par with the highest mids at the club. A lot can happen in 3 years.

Remember everyone said Mount wasn’t Looking for a Reece-like contract during his whole debacle as well. I was called “anti Chelsea players” then as well. Annnnd that’s exactly what was happening.

You don’t think Gallagher sees himself as a star?

Do you think he would stay at Chelsea on a 150k/week contract for 6 years with hopes of coming on in the 70th minute to provide extra press (something he would t do well, because he doesn’t do well coming in cold)? Maybe getting the occasional start due to injuries?

I don’t think Gallagher is built that way. I think you are mistaking my use of “Star” as derogatory. It’s not. He should shoot for stardom. Heck at Palace he was practically worshipped.

I think he CAN be a star at Atleti.

Part of me just gets a little irritated at the idea of entitlement for academy players. I watch a LOT of Chelsea academy games. Nobody is shedding tears for Harvey Vale. He’s given everything progressing through the academy since he was twelve? He may make a roster somewhere once he’s done with loans.

I mention him because he won Academy player of the year just like Conor and Mason (which I’m sure you probably know).

But the Chelsea “legend” for the horrible shirt unveil was a guy who came up through Lille and left us for Real Madrid.

Our academy was set up to bring players through for eventual loans. We all know it. They paid little attention to what the first team was doing and focused on youth trophies. I appreciate their service.

But instead of tearing down the new ownership group for not choosing Gallagher over better options, maybe we should be thanking them for bringing in a structure that more resembles City’s Elite Development Squad for the youth, so they actually CAN be the right players for the team when the time comes. The best players stay. The rest make us money… while also getting awesome jobs for themselves either way.
You said he expects to be "the" star. You simply made that up.

And you can post 14 paragraphs of waffle but you're just inventing scenarios and getting annoyed at them.

Only thing I saw online was him saying he was surprised to be captain, didn't expect it and that he and his family would have laughed if they heard the idea suggested a year ago.

I don't think that comes across as someone who expected to be captain.

You said he expects to be "the" star. You simply made that up.

And you can post 14 paragraphs of waffle but you're just inventing scenarios and getting annoyed at them.
Oh please. Guiu has “Starboy” as his tag just for his goal for Barcelona.

I think you know my points are valid, so your answer is “Gallagher never used the word Star specifically”

So? That doesn’t change his motivations and what he wants.

I would argue that the second 6 months of last year he WAS a star.

I think we are just mincing words at this point, and will leave it at “what Gallagher wants Chelsea cannot give him, he knows this, and won’t sign anything from Chelsea”

And leave it at that

Oh please. Guiu has “Starboy” as his tag just for his goal for Barcelona.

I think you know my points are valid, so your answer is “Gallagher never used the word Star specifically”

So? That doesn’t change his motivations and what he wants.

I would argue that the second 6 months of last year he WAS a star.

I think we are just mincing words at this point, and will leave it at “what Gallagher wants Chelsea cannot give him, he knows this, and won’t sign anything from Chelsea”

And leave it at that

A lot of your points feel about as tenuous as saying "he grew his blonde hair out so clearly wants the same sort of star treatment Madonna or Britney Spears got. What a diva!"

So what's wrong with being real and telling players they are not wanted, hell this is sort of ruthless approach I'll be glad to see United adopt when it comes to selling players who have been proven not good enough.

There were several articles, especially around April discussing how being Captain was always what Gallagher envisioned for himself at Chelsea.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/gallagher-surprised-but-proud-to-captain-chelsea

Straight from the horse's mouth when the man first carried the armband:

"‘If you said to me last season there’s going to be a couple of games where you’re going to lead the team out I still would have laughed at you."

Doesn't really come across a toxic egomaniac who thinks too highly of himself and demands top wages and the role of captain but you do you.

I mean it doesn't have to be binary for every player.

I do believe Conor ideally wants to stay at the club, I don't believe for a second Mount did.