Conor Gallagher | AtletiGO?

I mean it doesn't have to be binary for every player.

I do believe Conor ideally wants to stay at the club, I don't believe for a second Mount did.

I think Mount initially wanted to stay as well but he caught on pretty early to the fact the club just didn't rate him as high as they did James when RJ got a long term deal on top wages while talks with Mount were put on hold time and time again. He probably thought, being the back-to-back club POTY and all, that his deal would be made a top priority and took offence when negotiations didn't progress and in the end things just snowballed from there to the point of no return. By the time we got to the summer transfer window of 2023 it was clear Mount had already made up his mind about leaving months before.

With Gallagher, I haven't seen anything to suggest we're at the point of no return yet. He clearly still wants to stay but also knows he has options elsewhere so isn't desperate enough that he'd accept a bullshit one year extension.

I think Mount initially wanted to stay as well but he caught on pretty early to the fact the club just didn't rate him as high as they did James when RJ got a long term deal on top wages while talks with Mount were put on hold time and time again. He probably thought, being the back-to-back club POTY and all, that his deal would be made a top priority and took offence when negotiations didn't progress and in the end things just snowballed from there to the point of no return. By the time we got to the summer transfer window of 2023 it was clear Mount had already made up his mind about leaving months before.

With Gallagher, I haven't seen anything to suggest we're at the point of no return yet. He clearly still wants to stay but also knows he has options elsewhere so isn't desperate enough that he'd accept a bullshit one year extension.
He was becoming more and more image obsessed as the years went on.

United's number 7 is probably the second most iconic football shirt after Brazil's 10, I just couldn't have forseen a world he would have let that marketing opportunity slide.

United's number 7 is probably the second most iconic football shirt after Brazil's 10, I just couldn't have forseen a world he would have let that marketing opportunity slide.

You think the number 7 shirt being free at Man United had any kind of impact in his decision to go there? He'd have said "nah" if he had to be 8 or 10 or 21?

I'm sure the Man United fans in here can tell us, what were Mount's options for shirt numbers?

He signed for them and had a pick of a few numbers. Why wouldn't he pick 7, because he's scared he couldn't perform better at Man United than the previous lot did? There hasn't been a great Man United number 7 since Ronaldo left the first time.

I mean it doesn't have to be binary for every player.

I do believe Conor ideally wants to stay at the club, I don't believe for a second Mount did.

There were reports in the lead up to the WC 2022 that both James and Mount were negotiating new contracts. With the tournament approaching, Mount supposedly had come to a contract agreement with Boehly but decided to table the extension until after the WC. James had no such concerns as he was injured and not in the England squad, so he managed to sign his extension.

Obviously both of them were negotiating directly with Boehly, who was the interim sporting director back then. Chelsea hired the two SD during the WC and by all accounts, the initial offer was replaced with a different one that SDs felt were better for the club and that's where the road to ending up at United starts.

I just find it so bizarre that lads that spent 10-15 years coming through at Chelsea, that had previously never shown any narcissistic toxic traits would all of a sudden become toxic pricks to force their way out of the club. I’m not buying it, I’m sorry.

There were reports in the lead up to the WC 2022 that both James and Mount were negotiating new contracts. With the tournament approaching, Mount supposedly had come to a contract agreement with Boehly but decided to table the extension until after the WC. James had no such concerns as he was injured and not in the England squad, so he managed to sign his extension.

Obviously both of them were negotiating directly with Boehly, who was the interim sporting director back then. Chelsea hired the two SD during the WC and by all accounts, the initial offer was replaced with a different one that SDs felt were better for the club and that's where the road to ending up at United starts.

I just find it so bizarre that lads that spent 10-15 years coming through at Chelsea, that had previously never shown any narcissistic toxic traits would all of a sudden become toxic pricks to force their way out of the club. I’m not buying it, I’m sorry.
I mean surely there's middle ground? I don't think he was Lukaku/Courtois level but equally I don't feel he was desperate to stay the way Gallagher and Chalobah are. I've also had my suspicions since about mid 21/22 that he didn't intend to be a Chelsea lifer (nothing wrong with that) so yeah maybe you could argue there's a certain level of confirmation bias on my part but still.

Also if we're going to take reports with a pinch of salt surely that works both ways? Especially if it was a Matt Law (can't remember if it was) as he has close connections to Caroline McAteer (the women that runs the sports company Mason signed up to).

I mean surely there's middle ground? I don't think he was Lukaku/Courtois level but equally I don't feel he was desperate to stay the way Gallagher and Chalobah are. I've also had my suspicions since about mid 21/22 that he didn't intend to be a Chelsea lifer (nothing wrong with that) so yeah maybe you could argue there's a certain level of confirmation bias on my part but still.

Also if we're going to take reports with a pinch of salt surely that works both ways? Especially if it was a Matt Law (can't remember if it was) as he has close connections to Caroline McAteer (the women that runs the sports company Mason signed up to).

It just matches a pattern of briefings from the club. They tried to convince us Hall was desperate to leave and join Newcastle because his family are from there, when literally a week before he agreed to a 7 year extension and was ready to sign and join Palace on loan.

I obviously can't speak to your personal suspicions about Mount. I never had them. I thought he was nailed on to be a Chelsea captain until contract negotiations soured.

I specifically remember an interview with Tony Mount where he said something along the lines of 'as long as Tuchel is at Chelsea Mason would love to stay at Chelsea'. At the time it spoke to his close relationship with Tuchel but in hindsight not the most reassuring comment about his commitment to Chelsea as a whole.

I think they should let Maresca determine that then. I'm fine with them recruiting and using their supposed talent ID to find new talent. Let the coaches decide which members of the current squad aren't good enough.

This is why I don't buy this stuff about the owners just not rating him. I think they see him as a cash cow and trust me, it won't be long before we start hearing about Colwill being on the transfer market, and then we'll see the same old arguments from Clearlake fans (not you, but others we both know) that we heard when Mount, Hall, Chalobah and Gallagher were chased out of town - 'he wants to leave', 'he wants to be paid top dollar' and then eventually 'he's sabotaging the club'.

To be honest I think Conor as a player is pretty cut and dry, and I'm not sure what an extra 4 weeks in preseason will tell anyone anything other than what they already know.

And yeah I've noticed there seems to be two camps that have formed, those who defend everything Clearlake do and those who hate everything they do. Seems to be no middle ground. I agree with you about Hall, thought he showed glimpses in the limited chances he got that he could be a top player, and I also think Chalobah is probably our best CB currently in a possession based system. So with those two I don't really agree with what happened/is happening. With Conor I have no issues with selling him so I guess its just a case by case thing for me.

Mctominay is better. He should have more suitors.

You think he has more suitors because he's a dirtier player. Ok.
No I’m saying that’s the reason one of the most dirtiest teams in Europe have sounded him out as a target. We all know their style of play. And mctominay had 3 of Londons teams chasing him.

I specifically remember an interview with Tony Mount where he said something along the lines of 'as long as Tuchel is at Chelsea Mason would love to stay at Chelsea'. At the time it spoke to his close relationship with Tuchel but in hindsight not the most reassuring comment about his commitment to Chelsea as a whole.

To be honest I think Conor as a player is pretty cut and dry, and I'm not sure what an extra 4 weeks in preseason will tell anyone anything other than what they already know.

And yeah I've noticed there seems to be two camps that have formed, those who defend everything Clearlake do and those who hate everything they do. Seems to be no middle ground. I agree with you about Hall, thought he showed glimpses in the limited chances he got that he could be a top player, and I also think Chalobah is probably our best CB currently in a possession based system. So with those two I don't really agree with what happened/is happening. With Conor I have no issues with selling him so I guess its just a case by case thing for me.

I remember there being similar reports about Drogba and Mourinho back in 2007. Drogba himself said after the fact that he thought about leaving and following Mourinho to his next club. He stayed and ended up writing the most legendary chapter of his entire career in the 5 years that followed. I think had the club not botched the contract negotiations Mount would have stayed and most likely been the first choice captain.

I don't it's fair to say it's pointless to watch him train under Maresca, and certainly don't think Winstanely and Stewart should be deciding that. It may be true that he doesn't fit with this new system, but to effectively lock him out of first team activities to force him out is honestly nothing short of bullying. I used that word to describe their treatment of Chalobah, and I think it fits here too. I think it's disgraceful.

I remember there being similar reports about Drogba and Mourinho back in 2007. Drogba himself said after the fact that he thought about leaving and following Mourinho to his next club. He stayed and ended up writing the most legendary chapter of his entire career in the 5 years that followed. I think had the club not botched the contract negotiations Mount would have stayed and most likely been the first choice captain.

I don't it's fair to say it's pointless to watch him train under Maresca, and certainly don't think Winstanely and Stewart should be deciding that. It may be true that he doesn't fit with this new system, but to effectively lock him out of first team activities to force him out is honestly nothing short of bullying. I used that word to describe their treatment of Chalobah, and I think it fits here too. I think it's disgraceful.

Is he an academy lad? That isn’t a really nice way to treat one of their own if he is

So much talk and animosity over a mediocre player is funny

For sure.

I don't recognize the club I love anymore. I will support the team 100% but the people running the club nowadays are some truly despicable human beings. I do think they might be onto something that will bring success eventually but the way they're going about certain things is indefensible.

It's not even that I think Gallagher and Chalobah are particularly great players that we simply must keep at all costs because I don't. It's just fecking hell that's a disgusting way to treat a player who wants nothing more than to stay at the club and fight for his place. If it were up to me I'd offer Gallagher something like a 4+1 deal and just be done with it. Should have ditched the KDH/Tosin signings, keep Gallagher and Chalobah around and only think about a move if they start indicating they're not happy with their playing time. That way if a move ever becomes on the agenda, you'd at least have all parties be on the same page about what's what.

It would maybe make sense if you were signing big names to come in but you've basically replaced him with....Dewsbury-Hall?

It would maybe make sense if you were signing big names to come in but you've basically replaced him with....Dewsbury-Hall?

To be fair he's a fairly different player and his touch and technique are way above Gallagher's so he'll probably do as well or better than Gallagher has done there

Is it that we overrate our players? Becuase I don't understand how our rivals get these fees for their players while we get peanuts or nothing at all. 20m for McTominay and 34m for Gallagher is a joke.

Is it that we overrate our players? Becuase I don't understand how our rivals get these fees for their players while we get peanuts or nothing at all. 20m for McTominay and 34m for Gallagher is a joke.
We do overrate a bit yes.

Also nobody has gone anywhere yet so fees mean nothing.

Is it that we overrate our players?

When McTominay plays like shit in one of our games, our internet fanboys immediately go out and flood the internet calling him shit and waste of space. And because we have ridiculous number of fans from all over the world, it trends on social media circles. The newspapers start posting depressing stats on their social media, because "United in crisis" news sells, and we go there and like and comment on it, driving up the views.

We were scrutinized like no other team even before the internet era, but this era has just made it worse. Because we could go and rant in front of the entire world within seconds of the game.
As per our fans, our players are either brilliant or absolute jokers, which means when our team is not doing well, like recent times, majority of our players are branded jokers.

Now, in an ideal world, this should not matter and clubs should look at a player performances and bid a value that is worth as per market trends. But that does not happen. Because of our fans belief that some of our players are absolute jokers, they start bidding low values.

This kind of treatment of employees will not survive a simple challenge in normal workplace in big institutions. Agree with you, it’s bully. Disgraceful.

Disgraceful.

There's nothing disgraceful in it, club communicate with player and his camp letting them no his services isn't needed, it's left for his agent to do his fecking job and get his client another club that needs him.

You can say what you want about Chelsea but when it comes to getting rid of unwanted players they are class A.

If United would take this sort of approach when it came to a lot of our deadwood a lot of them would be looking for new clubs by now, but instead we still have the likes of Maguire and Co preparing to start the season for us.

I'm hearing a contract extension is still a real possibility.

Sign the thing!
He won’t. You asked me to drudge up every article ever read to “prove” the stuff I was telling you yesterday, and that’s LOT of work.

Thankfully outlets are doing it for us now as SKY re-released an article today about how Conor refused an extension in 2022 because he wanted “assurances he would be a regular starter and not a squad player”

Unless something has changed there, why would he deviate now?

Do we want to pay someone who may not see the field wages the same as our highest midfield earners?

Maybe Conor believes he can prove everyone wrong and master the system where close control is everything and you have to know where the pass 3 and 4 passes down the line will likely be.

But that is unlikely, which means it will be 2 plus 1 years of going through this, and they will still be trying to sell him.

That seems like a lot of unnecessary stress to put on a locker room.

Pat … you think Mount would have been Captain? I’ve been having to apologize to my United friends for a whole year for stealing money from them.

When played as an 8 he drifted too far forward and left huge gaps that left other players out to dry. He has the creativity of a CPA…. 10 was never going to work and he was awful on the wing.

I think he had more cooking show appearances than goal contributions. Certainly we are t bringing Mount back to this?

These guys get pampered, paid well, educated. They get loan moves, lots of money, and then eventually they get really good jobs. But if those jobs aren’t at Chelsea the club aren’t committing any sort of crime.

If they were good enough, especially in comparison to their demands, they would be at Chelsea. Period.

Don't bother replying to me until you've done that work.
I literally just gave you one. Sky re-reported that he would not sign an extension two years ago without assurances of starting.

I don't it's fair to say it's pointless to watch him train under Maresca, and certainly don't think Winstanely and Stewart should be deciding that. It may be true that he doesn't fit with this new system, but to effectively lock him out of first team activities to force him out is honestly nothing short of bullying.
Sorry Pat, I got stuck on the Mount point first response.

Why wouldn’t it be the Directors of football’s call, firstly?

And do you really think it was just their call? From what I understand in the meetings people like Joe Shields and others are brought into this. Maresca has watched every game Conor has ever played, I promise you, and they would have involved him in what are “collaborative discussions” they are very fond of.

The final decision might have been theirs, but the implication it was without input from others is extremely unlikely given what we know of how they structure discussions on subjects like this.

But again, unless things have changed, Conor wants assurances before signing something, not a tryout. And Atleti has a deadline of Monday.

You think the number 7 shirt being free at Man United had any kind of impact in his decision to go there? He'd have said "nah" if he had to be 8 or 10 or 21?

I'm sure the Man United fans in here can tell us, what were Mount's options for shirt numbers?

He signed for them and had a pick of a few numbers. Why wouldn't he pick 7, because he's scared he couldn't perform better at Man United than the previous lot did? There hasn't been a great Man United number 7 since Ronaldo left the first time.
Put some respect on Michael Owen's name.

Pat … you think Mount would have been Captain? I’ve been having to apologize to my United friends for a whole year for stealing money from them.

When played as an 8 he drifted too far forward and left huge gaps that left other players out to dry. He has the creativity of a CPA…. 10 was never going to work and he was awful on the wing.

I think he had more cooking show appearances than goal contributions. Certainly we are t bringing Mount back to this?

These guys get pampered, paid well, educated. They get loan moves, lots of money, and then eventually they get really good jobs. But if those jobs aren’t at Chelsea the club aren’t committing any sort of crime.

If they were good enough, especially in comparison to their demands, they would be at Chelsea. Period.

Yes, from 2019 to 2022 I was convinced Mount was going to be the next captain whe Azpi left.

Sorry Pat, I got stuck on the Mount point first response.

Why wouldn’t it be the Directors of football’s call, firstly?

And do you really think it was just their call? From what I understand in the meetings people like Joe Shields and others are brought into this. Maresca has watched every game Conor has ever played, I promise you, and they would have involved him in what are “collaborative discussions” they are very fond of.

The final decision might have been theirs, but the implication it was without input from others is extremely unlikely given what we know of how they structure discussions on subjects like this.

But again, unless things have changed, Conor wants assurances before signing something, not a tryout. And Atleti has a deadline of Monday.

Because they're not coaches. They're suits in a boardroom. They're job isn't to meddle with who the coaches should/shouldn't want in the squad.

If you truly think a novice coach will come into a club like Chelsea and decide that an academy player that was ever present for the previous coach and was a top 5 performer over the whole season, captained the club for the majority of the season and an England international isn't good enough for his brand of football without ever meeting him, then I'm not sure we can move forward with this conversation.

I have seen nothing to suggest Gallagher is demanding anything. If you have proof of something like that, then post the link.

Last edited: