Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

I saw a vid on Youtube recently saying that he was "too dumb to feel pressure", which I thought was incredibly harsh.

Saw the same one I think. Daily Dose of Football on Youtube?

That's his (the youtubers) style. Clickbait titles and everything is a big dramatic story with him. Then there's the voice that adds to it, sounds like a movie trailer guy!

Covers some interesting things at times, some things that others don't but I'm not sure I like the way everything has to be such a drama with his content. Guess it wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't though.

Edit: Just watched one of his on Yannick Bolaise for example, it's cool to to learn some random things about a random player. However he is not and never was someone deserving of the video title, "How an African Showboater Humiliated Every Defender in the Premier League", with a thumbnail of "They had never seen someone like him". :lol:

Last edited:
That there's "nothing there" and we're not a "young, exciting team". He also used that tedious multiple players graph (which had academy players and Anjorin twice added to it) even though it was made clear by Maresca he was working with a "normal" sized group and the rest were working on moves away. He also predicted West Ham to finish above us.

Fair enough if he didn't think we had a chance of top four or that our squad was unbalanced, but the above was just a tirade for the sake of it.
Is that the same piece where he just started ranting “players should stop signing for Chelsea, just STOP!” ?

That was some pretty funny stuff.

Carragher is excellent did TV. Dumb as a rock, but the really dumb stuff he says is spectacularly entertaining at times.

Well deserved. Think what could have been if Southgate had actually started him.

Hilarious indictment of Southgate by the players who actually voted - and a testament to their recency bias. Also hilarious is that it seems to have rustled the jimmies of some Arsenal fans who feel Saka was robbed (no less funny as they are absolutely correct given the gulf in playing time)

Hilarious indictment of Southgate by the players who actually voted - and a testament to their recency bias. Also hilarious is that it seems to have rustled the jimmies of some Arsenal fans who feel Saka was robbed (no less funny as they are absolutely correct given the gulf in playing time)
It was voted on by the fans. Jude, especially, or Saka should have won it, though Palmer is not a terrible choice.

Well deserved. Think what could have been if Southgate had actually started him.
I mean, nothing much different would have happened. He's overrated. Which is not to say that he's not a really good player, but all the English players that come along that are supposed to be tekkers wizards are overrated (cf also Phil Foden). Largely because England seems incapable of producing the genuine article in that respect.

I mean, nothing much different would have happened. He's overrated. Which is not to say that he's not a really good player, but all the English players that come along that are supposed to be tekkers wizards are overrated (cf also Phil Foden). Largely because England seems incapable of producing the genuine article in that respect.
I'm not even English, but England genuinely have better individual players on most part of the pitch than that Spanish team they faced in the final. What they seem to lack is producing quality coaches but they still insist on hiring the terrible - average ones they keep producing instead of looking outside their shores. They are wasting a generational young group of players on clueless managers.

Clearly rubbish. Cole Palmer and Foden are both technical wizards even if Foden is very overrated. I'd argue Saka is up there too. Just another pretentious Barca fan thinking you lot invented football.

I'm not even English, but England genuinely have better individual players on most part of the pitch than that Spanish team they faced in the final. What they seem to lack is producing quality coaches but they still insist on hiring the terrible - average ones they keep producing instead of looking outside their shores. They are wasting a generational young group of players on clueless managers.
Mmm. Not so sure about the first sentence, but the bigger issue was Spain was much better assembled. England may have had more individually better players at many positions, but the difference in level in the positions Spain had the better player was much greater.

It's less an issue of coaching and more and issue of never quite being a fully realized team. This was also the main problem of the previous golden generation. Too flawed in ways they couldn't make up for against other great sides. Although coaching was 100% a problem at the last Euros, too.

Clearly rubbish. Cole Palmer and Foden are both technical wizards even if Foden is very overrated. I'd argue Saka is up there too. Just another pretentious Barca fan thinking you lot invented football.
They are not technical wizards. Zico is a technical wizard. Palmer and Foden are good technical players. But they get overrated because England doesn't often produce highly technical players. But you probably have low standards re technical wizardry.

They are not technical wizards. Zico is a technical wizard. Palmer and Foden are good technical players. But they get overrated because England doesn't often produce highly technical players. But you probably have low standards re technical wizardry.
Aaah the Catalan arrogance! We'd missed that recently.

Correct.

As good a player as Palmer is, he doesnt have immaculate touch and control in a confined space like the most technical players that have graced the game. He doesnt need it in the premier league, his vision for a pass and getting into attacking areas and shooting have brought him a lot of goal involvements. He gets the space he needs and is effective.

Foden's touch and close control are good enough to fit into any team, but in the top teams he's one of several players with good technique not someone who stands out above them for it.

Correct.

As good a player as Palmer is, he doesnt have immaculate touch and control in a confined space like the most technical players that have graced the game. He doesnt need it in the premier league, his vision for a pass and getting into attacking areas and shooting have brought him a lot of goal involvements. He gets the space he needs and is effective.

Foden's touch and close control are good enough to fit into any team, but in the top teams he's one of several players with good technique not someone who stands out above them for it.
Thank you. That's all I'm trying to say, and the response is usually some nonsense about 'Barca arrogance'. Like that has anything to do with it. I don't just watch Barca, FFS.

Correct.

Yes I would agree with this. We also tend to get a couple of these players and think "there, we have our technical players sorted". We do the minimum usually.

He's not wrong though, we almost never produce top level technical players and we tend to overrate players who show some technical ability.
Facts over feelings, to paraphrase someone that I dislike immensely.

Correct.

100%. Palmer is not a technical wizard but a very good technical player. It’s his other traits that make him world class player

If zico is the bar for technical wizardry then there's very few footballers operating today that would qualify.

Typical Barca fan though. That delightful air of superiority despite supporting a morally and financially dubious club.

Correct.

Disagree. Palmer has excellent first touch and is good in tight spaces. Also Foden stands out as one of the most technically proficient players in one of the most technical teams in the world.

If zico is the bar for technical wizardry then there's very few footballers operating today that would qualify.

Typical Barca fan though. That delightful air of superiority despite supporting a morally and financially dubious club.
Well yeah, the key is in the word 'wizardry'. Look it up. It pertains to great skill, which I don't believe that Palmer has. Again, that does not mean that he is crap.

Alternatively, you can continue to take weak potshots at me instead of addressing the actual point.

Well yeah, the key is in the word 'wizardry'. Look it up. It pertains to great skill, which I don't believe that Palmer has. Again, that does not mean that he is crap.

Alternatively, you can continue to take weak potshots at me instead of addressing the actual point.
Carry on trying to patronise me, I hope it makes you feel better about yourself!

I wasn't taking weak potshots at you, I was taking potshots at your corrupt, cheating club

Disagree. Palmer has excellent first touch and is good in tight spaces. Also Foden stands out as one of the most technically proficient players in one of the most technical teams in the world.
He has a good first touch and close control, but not the top level of either.

I would argue that Foden doesn't stand out that much and City and not that technical.

At Barceona, PSG or Bayern they have several technical players as good or better in that area.

City have Silva and Gundogan but arent a particularly technical team relying on KDB's creativity despite not being as technical and Doku'a pace and trickery. Foden's does not stand out compared to Bernado Silva

He has a good first touch and close control, but not the top level of either.

I would argue that Foden doesn't stand out that much and City and not that technical.
You are very wrong then. Easily the best technician in the team in tight spaces behind Silva, and much more likely to something productive with it (which I know is a seperate point to the discussion you are having) but considering we are missing his technical work on the ball in the pockets now when he has been played less I'd say it de facto makes him stand out. I'd argue the only one I have seen in a City shirt that I'd say is more technically gifted than Foden is Nasri and Bernardo Silva. David Silva many probably will argue, certainly the Spaniards, but I'm not really sure I'm convinced he is. Just an absolute genius at knowing what to do with the ball all the time. Even if you put David Silva above him we have been a pretty technical team for a while so I'd still say he absolutely stands out by a landslide

Also nice to see that he only needed a vacation and a therefore slow first couple of games of the season before he went back to being overlater again

You are very wrong then. Easily the best technician in the team in tight spaces behind Silva, and much more likely to something productive with it (which I know is a seperate point to the discussion you are having) but considering we are missing his technical work on the ball in the pockets now when he has been played less I'd say it de facto makes him stand out. I'd argue the only one I have seen in a City shirt that I'd say is more technically gifted than Foden is Nasri and Bernardo Silva. David Silva many probably will argue, certainly the Spaniards, but I'm not really sure I'm convinced he is. Just an absolute genius at knowing what to do with the ball all the time. Even if you put David Silva above him we have been a pretty technical team for a while so I'd still say he absolutely stands out by a landslide

Also nice to see that he only needed a vacation and a therefore slow first couple of games of the season before he went back to being overlater again
I would say that David Silva is quite far ahead of everyone else City has had.

You might be right that hes the current second technical player, but the team really only has 2 technical players in it, its just not a technical team.

I would say that David Silva is quite far ahead of everyone else City has had.

You might be right that hes the current second technical player, but the team really only has 2 technical players in it, its just not a technical team.
And I'd say if we are simply talking about technical ability and nothing else both Nasri and Bernardo is ahead, and I'd argue Foden as well. I'm by no means an technical expert but I did watch more or less every single minute these guys played for us (which is why I left ou someone as accomplished as Gundogan entirely who is technical himself)

Whether or not we are a technical team now I won't argue, but you orginally said he didn't stand out at City currently.

In my humble opinion strictly technically he would stand out in every single team on the planet but it is not really a hill I need to die on. Brilliant player, as is the player in the thread title

And I'd say if we are simply talking about technical ability and nothing else both Nasri and Bernardo is ahead, and I'd argue Foden as well. I'm by no means an technical expert but I did watch more or less every single minute these guys played for us .

Whether or not we are a technical team now I won't argue, but you orginally said he didn't stand out at City currently.

In my humble opinion strictly technically he would stand out in every single team on the planet but it is not really a hill I need to die on. Brilliant player, as is the player in the thread title
I couldn't disagree more, though arguing won't get us anywhere.

I said he's not stand out not because he wasn't one of the top technical players in City, just that he's not THAT much more technical than some of the others below him.