Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

If Palmer plays for Utd it'll be when he's washed up in his 30s. Similar to Leeds fans dreaming of Haaland playing for them because he supported them as a child, it'll only be likely in the twilight of his career.

Just because you liked Utd as a child doesn't mean it's a great idea to mix your professional career with the club you liked as a kid, it can ruin the fantasy and you may end up disliking the club after having to work there.

Not even remotely similar, though. United are a top 3 biggest club in the world and only need 1-2 years of half-decent leadership at the top, in order to compete for the biggest trophies again, with the likes of Madrid, City, and Arsenal.

Leeds are probably not even top 30, and Haaland wasn't even in kindergarten yet when they were last competitive at the top. There's also no way for them to reach that level again in the next 10-20 years, unless they're bought by a billionaire / nation state that gets their shit together like the Saudis did for Newcastle.

It's absolutely delusional to think Palmer playing for United at some point in the future is inconceivable and that we would be some sort of pre-retirement destination for him with no real sporting aspirations.

What you said in your post, is rathe closer to someone in 2009 claiming that Ronaldo shouldn't go to Real Madrid, because they weren't competitive at that time and haven't been a European superpower for several years back then. Except that United were a top 2 team in Europe at that point, and Chelsea are widely accepted to be a mess today, and nowhere near a top team. Or club.

You basically claim that it's as difficult for United to become a City/Madrid/Arsenal level side again, as it would be for Leeds? :lol: Or did I misunderstand?

I personally dont think its impossible.

We have just done business for both Mount & Sancho, whilst they are in a different league ability wise, it shows that negotiations can be done.

Then with how many times Chelsea change their managers, all we need is a pochettino keeping them out of Europe for 2 years, us to be proven title contenders and a Rice like offer of 105m÷ if he maintains the form.

Unlikely maybe but not impossible ~ him being a United fan is like a cherry on top of a cake.

United need the best English players to get back to the top & id say our best is Mainoo which shows part of our problems.

Also he sh*ts on Foden imo any england manager that cant see that shouldnt be ours.

Chelsea seems to be closer in top 4/ challenging for titles than us. And I doubt Pochettino can keep them out of Europe. Out of America sure.

Would much rather see him play in the 10 than Bellingham for England. Such a fun, clever player.

I’ll take a UCL trophy in the past 3 years than 10 FA Cups. ‍
You didn't win the league in the same season though. It's pointless winning the UCL without the EPL. You can't claim to have been European Champions without being English Champions first and foremost.

When a team like Chelsea fluke a UCL win while being the 5-6th best team domestically, it highlights how much the UCL has just become an exotic FA Cup rather than an acid test of the best teams in Europe.

i don’t think he’s that special. if any top side had a young, english player who was banging in goals for fun and playing well, they’d all think they had a superstar on their hands.

I’ll take a UCL trophy in the past 3 years than 10 FA Cups. ‍

It was a fluke, but I would take a fluke UCL before 10 FA Cups probably as well. However, you realize that UCL was arguably a result of Chelsea's incompetence, even though it happened under Abramovich? If you never hired Lampard, you probably don't end up hiring Tuchel mid-season in 2021, and that CL run likely doesn't happen. So a stupid decision in hiring Lampard led you to an unlikely, surprise CL win.

But don't take this as a big insult or anything. I would take a fluke CL over almost any other trophy too, and a good squad still had to be assembled in order to win it. However, if Chelsea were competent enough to actually avoid appointing Lampard in 2019, you probably don't win that CL, because it's just far from a given that you would've been looking for a manager in January 2021.

Funny, because I’d say WE have the most exciting and ambitious project in England and we’re far from a mess. Chaotic in the transfer window? Fair. But on the pitch and around the team itself we are definitely not a mess.
Maybe it will turn out to be something in the future but I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion so far.

Your new structure deciding to fire a manager and not only flip flopping over a 90 minute match but overhauling the coaching staff for him to then potentially/likely sack him months later is much worse than anything we've done under Clearlake which is saying something.

I don't blame rival fans for not seeing it yet. But I see it.

He’s the most exceptional by the basics footballer I’ve seen in a long time.

He’s not yet at that level, but he reminds me of Kaka. Just quietly does absolutely everything in the most natural way imaginable. He takes penalties, dribbles, passes, and quietly goes about defensive work with zero fanfare. And scores plenty of course.

Kaka did it with flowing black locks and an athletic frame. Palmer looks like a crack addict that needs a good meal. But they’re very similar footballers in terms of applied talent.

It’s difficult to identify a similar player to Cole with the mixture of nonchalance, confidence and pure natural footballing ability.

I am too young to have watched the guy live, but maybe Matt Le Tissier? If he had been more professional with his fitness levels.

This becoming more and more of a widely accepted take is crazy :lol: I can guarantee you we are way closer to that than Chelsea
You’ve currently got a goal difference of 0 and have scored a total of 5 goals in 5 matches. This after finishing with a negative goal difference last season.

I don’t see how there’s any tangible metric you can point to that tells you United are closer to returning to the top than we are. Other than rose tinted glasses and vibes.

You’ve currently got a goal difference of 0 and have scored a total of 5 goals in 5 matches. This after finishing with a negative goal difference last season.

I don’t see how there’s any tangible metric you can point to that tells you United are closer to returning to the top than we are. Other than rose tinted glasses and vibes.

Your first paragraph says it all? This season we've played 8 games in all competitions, and there has actually been improvement on last season. And I consider last season to still be the Glazer era, which is why it's not irrelevant to me anyomre.

But don't get me wrong, the improvement on the pitch this season is not why I hold the opinion that we have a better project than you do. It's based on everything Ineos have done so far in less than a year.

Last edited:
...wanna explain this buddy? :lol:
Yeah, weird one.

Funnily enough, the one PL player who has ever reminded me of Kaka in semi recent years was… Ross Barkley. :lol: No more than a handful of times though.

This becoming more and more of a widely accepted take is crazy :lol: I can guarantee you we are way closer to that than Chelsea
What’s your guarantee based on? They finished higher than us in the league twice in the last three seasons, nobody in the right state of mind could claim that our FA cup and carabao are better than their Champions league - and I doubt you’d find a single player that dreams about Carabao triumph more than about the CL. I think we are roughly in the same spot, perhaps Chelsea are a bit ahead of us due to the fact that before we challenge for the highest honors we still need to fire EtH and find a good manager.

You didn't win the league in the same season though. It's pointless winning the UCL without the EPL. You can't claim to have been European Champions without being English Champions first and foremost.

When a team like Chelsea fluke a UCL win while being the 5-6th best team domestically, it highlights how much the UCL has just become an exotic FA Cup rather than an acid test of the best teams in Europe.
:lol: Sure thing pal

What’s your guarantee based on? They finished higher than us in the league twice in the last three seasons, nobody in the right state of mind could claim that our FA cup and carabao are better than their Champions league - and I doubt you’d find a single player that dreams about Carabao triumph more than about the CL. I think we are roughly in the same spot, perhaps Chelsea are a bit ahead of us due to the fact that before we challenge for the highest honors we still need to fire EtH and find a good manager.

Why are you bringing up things that happened under Abramovich and the Glazers?

Eh I'm optimistic for us (long term) but Chelsea have both a younger side than us and are obviously better than us currently. I think they're a disaster, but they've clearly been good this season so far and it very much is looking like they'll be in the top 4 race while we look like we'll need a manager swap to have a chance.

...wanna explain this buddy? :lol:

It’s fairly simple. Your removed all context.

The full comment was;

“As I said above, he reminds me of Kaka. He doesn’t rely on pace but he’s quick. He has a world class first touch but it’s never Berbatov-esque, it’s just perfect all the time. He has that weird accidental ability to be available all the time, in a space that sees a good touch and push of the ball, see him suddenly be in a dangerous pocket of space after going past someone. He’s a weird player.”

You can be quick without relying on it. It’s just rare to see someone thats plenty quick that is also technically brilliant and for the latter to win out.

Eh I'm optimistic for us (long term) but Chelsea have both a younger side than us and are obviously better than us currently. I think they're a disaster, but they've clearly been good this season so far and it very much is looking like they'll be in the top 4 race while we look like we'll need a manager swap to have a chance.

Have we forgot that Chelsea have signed more than 35 players in 2 years, and that arguably only Palmer has improved out of all of them? And to be fair, this might have been his level at City all along, just never got to show it.

And how many of them have not improved or straight up regressed? How many of them have been misfits and unnecessary?

Let's not even talk about their squad planning, when they sign Joao Felix as a plan B after the Omorodion deal collapsed. Two profiles that probably couldn't be further from each other. And then Omorodion joins Porto for 15m when Chelsea had agreed a deal with Atletico for 40m :lol: :lol:

They also sacked Tuchel. Bad decision.

Hired Potter and I don't think they supported him enough. Bad decision.

Hired Poch. Just a straight up bad decision without the need to delve deeper into things IMO.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff as well. Don't they have an internal conflict going on as well?

Last edited:
Some of these takes are even worse than the drivel in the Greenwood thread.

Have we forgot that Chelsea have signed more than 35 players in 2 years, and that arguably only Palmer has improved out of all of them? And to be fair, this might have been his level at City all along, just never got to show it.

And how many of them have not improved or straight up regressed? How many of them have been misfits and unnecessary?

Let's not even talk about their squad planning, when they sign Joao Felix as a plan B after the Omorodion deal collapsed. Two profiles that probably couldn't be further from each other. And then Omorodion joins Porto for 15m when Chelsea had agreed a deal with Atletico for 40m :lol: :lol:

Hired Poch. Just a straight up bad decision without the need to delve deeper into things IMO.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff as well. Don't they have an internal conflict going on as well?
What does literally ANY of this have to do with how the teams look on the pitch?

Sure, we have been chaotic in the transfer window (and so have you guys!) but comparing both clubs actually on the pitch I don’t see how you can say United are better setup going into the future.

Absolute gem.....their scattergun approach to transfers comes off occasionally.

What does literally ANY of this have to do with how the teams look on the pitch?

Sure, we have been chaotic in the transfer window (and so have you guys!) but comparing both clubs actually on the pitch I don’t see how you can say United are better setup going into the future.

Well, I said it's our footballing project as a whole that has a better future than yours. Regarding the two teams' performances on the pitch, it's too early to draw conclusions.

I feel like we didn't get what we deserved in the Brighton and Palace games, whereas the result may have flattered Chelsea a bit in some of your games.

But it's still just a 5-6 game sample size. I don't think Chelsea are that better than us, if better at all tbh.

Oh they're a disaster for sure. But they are currently better than us at playing football and have a much younger group than we do. So I'm not sure by what metric anyone can claim we are closer to challenging for top 4 when it is very likely they will this season, while again, for us to stand a chance we have to change our manager.

That is crazy :lol: How can winning the biggest, most prestigious and most profitable (club)football competition in the world ever be pointless.

It’s fairly simple. Your removed all context.

The full comment was;

“As I said above, he reminds me of Kaka. He doesn’t rely on pace but he’s quick. He has a world class first touch but it’s never Berbatov-esque, it’s just perfect all the time. He has that weird accidental ability to be available all the time, in a space that sees a good touch and push of the ball, see him suddenly be in a dangerous pocket of space after going past someone. He’s a weird player.”

You can be quick without relying on it. It’s just rare to see someone thats plenty quick that is also technically brilliant and for the latter to win out.
It's the juxtaposition of "reminds me of Kaka" followed by "doesn't rely on pace", when Kaka's whole game was built on his absurd pace

what's an overly arrogant goal celebration?
I'm American, so some of the celebrations you see in the NFL come to mind. I guess it's a personal pet peeve when I see someone score and then act like they're the second coming. Ronaldo is an example. But sure, I could have chosen my words better. I like how it's understated, easy to miss. Sorry, I guess I'm struggling to get across my point.

I personally dont think its impossible.

We have just done business for both Mount & Sancho, whilst they are in a different league ability wise, it shows that negotiations can be done.

Then with how many times Chelsea change their managers, all we need is a pochettino keeping them out of Europe for 2 years, us to be proven title contenders and a Rice like offer of 105m÷ if he maintains the form.

Unlikely maybe but not impossible ~ him being a United fan is like a cherry on top of a cake.

United need the best English players to get back to the top & id say our best is Mainoo which shows part of our problems.

Also he sh*ts on Foden imo any england manager that cant see that shouldnt be ours.

How can you guarantee it? We are as far from the top as we have been since 2013.

We most likely finish below Chelsea for the second consecutive season.

Stop overrating Chelsea's project after 2 years of them being the laughing stock of world football, just because they've got 5 good results this season so far.

Special player. Pep must be kicking himself.

As good a manager as Pep is, I am glad that Palmer isn't working with him anymore. It would have been a shame for a player as talented as Palmer to get Graelish-d and hammered out into just another cog in Pep's system

Stop overrating Chelsea's project after 2 years of them being the laughing stock of world football, just because they've got 5 good results this season so far.

It is not 5 games though. Even from last year you could see they were improving. In the last 15 games or so, they had one loss only, while we had 5. Eventually, despite Chelsea having lost many points in the first half, they managed to overtake us.

In addition, despite showing improvement they still replaced our manager. On the contrary, we declined for a whole year and still kept the same manager, didn't manage to sell our all of our chronic underperformers etc.

It is not that the Chelsea project is amazing or something, but we are really behind from everyone. We managed to get top four few times the last 10 years, just by out spending almost everyone, something that we can't do anymore. It's not all doom and gloom though. I think we will improve as a club under the new management, but I do not expect it to happen the next 2 years.

Well, Hojlund will do exactly that, when United collectively become better on the pitch. I don't think you realize how bad United were last season at providing Hojlund with service. 38 shots in 2171 minutes is abysmal, and says way more about the dysfunctional team itself, than it does about the striker isolated up front and barely getting any good chances created by his teammates. A good number of those 10 goals were created by Hojlund himself out of nothing as well, and in other competitions too.
I don't disagree with your premise but it's also a fact that he barely took shots at Atalanta too.