Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Just curious, how does that look if you extend the arbitrary timeframe beyond two years and instead to three or perhaps four?
You last won something in 2021, we’ve won something in the last 2 years. That’s how that looks.

I think we’re closer to being “back” than you guys are. Half your fanbase wants the manager sacked and if you don’t win tomorrow it may be more.
And you’ve had more managers in the past 5 years than trophies.

And you’ve had more managers in the past 5 years than trophies.
I’ll take a UCL trophy in the past 3 years than 10 FA Cups. ‍

And it's pretty irrelevant in the context of Palmer.

If he decides to move on (which yes ofcourse I am worried may happen if we don't start challenging for the big ones pretty soon) it will be to a team that can offer sustained and consistent challenges for the big two. So unless something drastically changes in the coming years Madrid as their new galatico or (if they are let off the charges) a return to City will likely be his next move if there is one.

Yes fair enough for winning those cups and I certainly wouldn't have turned my nose up at doing the same in the last two years (and I'm still annoyed at the League Cup final) but that won't be enough to make a player of Palmers ever increasing pedigree move at this point. Didn't he already reject you for City at academy level? If so that alone shows he is firmly a player that is career ambitions first, sentiment second (if leaving the club he grew up at for a first team spot elsewhere to give him the platform to become what he has wasn't already evidence enough).
Fair point. I get what you’re saying. He’ll probably end up at Madrid or someone challenging at the highest level every year. Can’t see him wanting to go back to city though, a club that got rid of him because they didn’t think he was good enough. He may help you guys reach the top levels, you never know. Maresca seems to have something cooking at the minute.

You last won something in 2021, we’ve won something in the last 2 years. That’s how that looks.
Mate it's a bit ridiculous to argue that winning the FA Cup and Carabao Cup in the last two years somehow makes you more ambitious / successful than Chelsea who won the Champions League and the follow-up bullshit trophies 3.5 years ago. Or do you really think players will look exclusively at trophies won in the last two years whilst ignoring all previous context?

Do we have to do this bullshit will he/wont he return to United tit for tat dance every time this thread is bumped? :boring:

Mate it's a bit ridiculous to argue that winning the FA Cup and Carabao Cup in the last two years somehow makes you more ambitious / successful than Chelsea who won the Champions League and the follow-up bullshit trophies 3.5 years ago. Or do you really think players will look exclusively at trophies won in the last two years whilst ignoring all previous context?
I’m just saying for the people arguing he’s an ambitious player who opts for trophies rather than money. That we’ve won more trophies in the last few years. Either of us are on the level that we need to be at the minute. Your having a decent start to this season but a lot can change over the course of a season.

Doesn’t look accidental to me, tbh. Looks effortlessly intuitive.

Yeah that’s what I mean by weirdly accidental. He’s a good kid, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don’t think he’s spending hours analysing where the pockets of space are, or when to move into a pocket. It’s all intuition. Hence the Kaka comparison.

No danger, no danger, holding a defensive shape, then HOW THE FCUK HAS HE GOT THE BALL THERE?

I can’t work him out. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite players to watch though.

I’m just saying for the people arguing he’s an ambitious player who opts for trophies rather than money. That we’ve won more trophies in the last few years. Either of us are on the level that we need to be at the minute. Your having a decent start to this season but a lot can change over the course of a season.
The point is if you actually consider the last "few" years then you haven't won more. And certainly you haven't won more in terms of prestige - which makes the argument that an ambitious player would choose to go to United on the basis of a Carabao Cup win a bit bizarre

He’d be my dream signing for United. Can’t see it ever happening but he’s world class.

Stings so much he ended up at City academy and not ours, don't think we had much chance of signing him last summer but in hindsight we should have at least asked the question

Inch-perfect free kick. World class player playing with lots of confidence. He'd walk into any starting 11.

I guess we have to get used to some of our fan base making silly comments that we are more successful than Chelsea, Arsenal and the likes because we won Carabao and FA Cup. Our style of play in the last 3 years alone should shut our mouths in shame already especially compared to Arsenal.

He plays for us at some point.
Only if...
1. A drastic turn of events(extended lose of form or injuries) turns him into a Mason Mount.
2. Refuses to sign a new contract and ends his current one 8 years into the future.

I guess we have to get used to some of our fan base making silly comments that we are more successful than Chelsea, Arsenal and the likes because we won Carabao and FA Cup. Our style of play in the last 3 years alone should shut our mouths in shame already especially compared to Arsenal.

Yeah they are all having the last laugh on us, particularly Chelsea with someone who grew up a Utd fan and another who fell out with the manager

If Palmer plays for Utd it'll be when he's washed up in his 30s. Similar to Leeds fans dreaming of Haaland playing for them because he supported them as a child, it'll only be likely in the twilight of his career.

Just because you liked Utd as a child doesn't mean it's a great idea to mix your professional career with the club you liked as a kid, it can ruin the fantasy and you may end up disliking the club after having to work there.

Averaged just under 21 minutes per match at the Euros in an England side with no creativity and no goal threat.

Averaged just under 21 minutes per match at the Euros in an England side with no creativity and no goal threat.

Yeah just proves Southgate was holding him back, fully expecting Old Trafford to be turned into his dance floor on November 3 too which will be so painful

He’d be my dream signing for United. Can’t see it ever happening but he’s world class.
I personally dont think its impossible.

We have just done business for both Mount & Sancho, whilst they are in a different league ability wise, it shows that negotiations can be done.

Then with how many times Chelsea change their managers, all we need is a pochettino keeping them out of Europe for 2 years, us to be proven title contenders and a Rice like offer of 105m÷ if he maintains the form.

Unlikely maybe but not impossible ~ him being a United fan is like a cherry on top of a cake.

United need the best English players to get back to the top & id say our best is Mainoo which shows part of our problems.

Also he sh*ts on Foden imo any england manager that cant see that shouldnt be ours.

Yeah that’s what I mean by weirdly accidental. He’s a good kid, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don’t think he’s spending hours analysing where the pockets of space are, or when to move into a pocket. It’s all intuition. Hence the Kaka comparison.

No danger, no danger, holding a defensive shape, then HOW THE FCUK HAS HE GOT THE BALL THERE?

I can’t work him out. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite players to watch though.
I know what you mean; he’s not some kind of Lampard working on his game incessantly, studying positions and working in tandem with data sets etc. He just looks like he’s been "savant’d" and just has it hardcoded into his makeup as a player.

Instead of having second season blues, he looks even better now than last season and yet he's doing things at a canter, which is usually a sign of big things ahead.

The fact the game comes to him whilst he ruthlessly exploits, is a deadly combination, and the more his reputation grows, the more panic and space he'll open up for others.

The one feeling I can't shake off about him is that he's just getting started and will go up a few gears yet once matured. It's going to be interesting to see what his goal contributions look like compared to the rest of the team, or better to say what % of their total goal scoring he's responsible for.

He plays in a way where the likes of Henry, Suarez or Rooney used to tally goals + assists is on for him in an able team, obvious difference being they are all forwards not midfielders. Only Henry has managed the hallowed 20 goals and 20 assists in a single PL season, yet Palmer got 22/11 last season in a dysfunctional team, and he looks even better this season. It's no wild leap at all to think he'll better those numbers this season, so whatever moniker people want to put to him, it's very clear indeed that he's currently on an extraordinary trajectory, factually and undeniably so. 33 G+A in a debut season is insane enough; he's on 10 contributions in 6 games this term joint top with Haaland with an even spread of 6 goals and 4 assists - what are we witnessing is actually apt because what he's burst onto the scene doing is far removed from the norm.

As an aside, only peak De Bruyne and Henry have hit 20 assists in a PL campaign according to their [official site's] own data. These are two players who are locks in an all-time PL xi for most people. It is the most esteemed company.

I think, ignoring any hyperbole, this kid has currently got data that is stating he's something special - the eye test and the data align, which is telling us this is no fluke, which makes him a very interesting player because nobody saw this coming. He wasn't hailed as the next super talent and yet he's performing like one.

I know what you mean; he’s not some kind of Lampard working on his game incessantly, studying positions and working in tandem with data sets etc. He just looks like he’s been "savant’d" and just has it hardcoded into his makeup as a player.

Instead of having second season blues, he looks even better now than last season and yet he's doing things at a canter, which is usually a sign of big things ahead.

The fact the game comes to him whilst he ruthlessly exploits, is a deadly combination, and the more his reputation grows, the more panic and space he'll open up for others.

The one feeling I can't shake off about him is that he's just getting started and will go up a few gears yet once matured. It's going to be interesting to see what his goal contributions look like compared to the rest of the team, or better to say what % of their total goal scoring he's responsible for.

He plays in a way where the likes of Henry, Suarez or Rooney used to tally goals + assists is on for him in an able team, obvious difference being they are all forwards not midfielders. Only Henry has managed the hallowed 20 goals and 20 assists in a single PL season, yet Palmer got 22/11 last season in a dysfunctional team, and he looks even better this season. It's no wild leap at all to think he'll better those numbers this season, so whatever moniker people want to put to him, it's very clear indeed that he's currently on an extraordinary trajectory, factually and undeniably so. 33 G+A in a debut season is insane enough; he's on 10 contributions in 6 games this term joint top with Haaland with an even spread of 6 goals and 4 assists - what are we witnessing is actually apt because what he's burst onto the scene doing is far removed from the norm.

As an aside, only peak De Bruyne and Henry have hit 20 assists in a PL campaign according to their [official site's] own data. These are two players who are locks in an all-time PL xi for most people. It is the most esteemed company.

I think, ignoring any hyperbole, this kid has currently got data that is stating he's something special - the eye test and the data align, which is telling us this is no fluke, which makes him a very interesting player because nobody saw this coming. He wasn't hailed as the next super talent and yet he's performing like one.
Last season he played as a RW, which he is good at but stops his ability to make killer passes from being so wide on the pitch. He also isnt that pacey to play like a Saka & was more in line with how B Silva plays from out wide.

This season Madueke is playing RW & Palmer is therefor playing mor centrally (CAM/RAM/RF) & his numbers should flourish barring injury to the RW, Jackson or obviously him. Interestingly Bruno is playing the same exact position especially whilst pressing but struggling quite a lot atm.

Its funny to see City fans talking about a buyback clause.As if that is a guarantee that a player will return

£100m + Sancho in the summer

Would you do the deal?
Sancho is already ours for at most 25m bar a catastrophic collapse of form that sees us finishing 14th or below so I don't think we'll do that deal.

Oh I didn’t realise that, what’s the price?
20 million minimum, 25 maximum, contingent on Chelsea finishing in the top-14.

(So yes, Sancho + 100 million for Palmer would have been an insanely good deal).