Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Cole Palmer for £40m and Eden Hazard for £32m are perhaps the best signings we’ve ever made in terms of money spent vs production.
Impossible to disagree. Didn't you end up selling Hazard for 5x profit? Wonder if it is a record of some kind

You said one of them has to be shoehorned, which I don't agree with. There are right-footed wide players who would be better there (Gordon, Rashford, Grealish, Barnes, Sterling, Sancho and others), but Palmer and Saka still have qualities that enable them to have impact from their less preferred side.

Even if Bellingham played deeper, Palmer should be the #10, Saka should be on the right, and a right-footer should play on the left IMO.
Of course they are, you play Palmer who struggles on the left on the left, you're only playing him there because you don't have a left winger and because you want Bellingham central and Saka right. Same goes for whoever goes out there.
Bellingham or Saka. You are literally shoehorning them in. Of all 4 players mentioned despite his struggles Foden is the one with most left winger experience.

You're also arguing Phil Foden who has more games on the left wing for one of the best managers in football is being shoehorned there and 3 players who have less left wing experience combined wouldn't be.

Pep knows exactly what Foden is, better than anyone. Small spaces manipulator and link-up player who heavily relies on his teammates' off-ball movement in order to be able to shine. And by shine I mean receiving, having time to turn, and then shoot in his little zone at the edge of the box. Or just make a good decision with space and time on the ball, created by his teammates for him, once again. Great player for sure, just no pace, no power, no transition threat, no carrying ability, not much of a passer or creative machine either, at all.
Then why has he played him left wing 100 times?

Then why has he played him left wing 100 times?

Because within City's system, he can have an impact from there too. And you could argue he was shoehorned to the left at club level too. Mahrez was always the superior player on the right side, and De Bruyne was always superior centrally, don't you think? Sterling is also a much better winger than him for me.

All looks very, very easy for him; looks like he’s ready to make a name for himself in the CL. Feels like he’s not even close to his limits, which is crazy given he’s popped up out of nowhere in relative terms.

Since he’s just signed a 9 year contract. This guy will cost upwards of 100m possibly 150 to leave.

Don't think it's conversational to spend 120m on him. He's a guaranteed star, he's already playing for a disfunctional team and doing amazingly well, would fit in easily here.

Bring him home ffs.

Unless you're back challenging at the very top he won't even look in your direction, boyhood fan or not.

As we found out with Rice last year, players don't give a shit about that stuff once they go pro.

Cole Palmer for £40m and Eden Hazard for £32m are perhaps the best signings we’ve ever made in terms of money spent vs production.
We bought Kante for 32m and Azpi for 8m.

All looks very, very easy for him; looks like he’s ready to make a name for himself in the CL. Feels like he’s not even close to his limits, which is crazy given he’s popped up out of nowhere in relative terms.

So...what do you think we are witnessing?

Since he’s just signed a 9 year contract. This guy will cost upwards of 100m possibly 150 to leave.
Don't think it's conversational to spend 120m on him. He's a guaranteed star, he's already playing for a disfunctional team and doing amazingly well, would fit in easily here.
I think we would be willing to break the British transfer record for him, by a lot, if he was willing to come and Chelsea were willing to sell.
Unless you're back challenging at the very top he won't even look in your direction, boyhood fan or not.

As we found out with Rice last year, players don't give a shit about that stuff once they go pro.

I agree that Palmer being a boyhood United supporter won't be enough, but what you said kind of depends for every player, as everyone has their own preferences and career ambitions. I also believe United currently have the most exciting and ambitious footballing project in England, and potentially the world as well, whereas I think Chelsea are a mess, so I can envision a future where we look like a much better place to be at than Chelsea, and Palmer will want to join us.

Yeah, if he has another sensational season like last one (which he’s already well on track to do) then we aren’t even considering a sale for less than £150m. But even then we’d never sell him to a PL club so he’s essentially unmovable. We’re lucky in that Real Madrid have just signed Mbappe and have Vini and Rodrygo so have zero room for him at all and Barca are completely broke. Bayern would never spend close to what it would take. And PSG and the French league is far beneath him.

If 3 years from now Real Madrid get sick of Rodrygo then he could go there then, I suppose. But the idea that we’d sell the face of the club and perhaps the best player in the league to a PL rival is silly.

43 goals + assists from 39 PL matches for Chelsea now - one every ~73 minutes. Insane level of production.

Watching Palmer reminds me of how I used to feel watching Eden Hazard, especially the early Hazard years where he was wow’ing me damn near every week.

I think we would be willing to break the British transfer record for him, by a lot, if he was willing to come and Chelsea were willing to sell.

I agree that Palmer being a boyhood United supporter won't be enough, but what you said kind of depends for every player, as everyone has their own preferences and career ambitions. I also believe United currently have the most exciting and ambitious footballing project in England, and potentially the world as well, whereas I think Chelsea are a mess, so I can envision a future where we look like a much better place to be at than Chelsea, and Palmer will want to join us.
Funny, because I’d say WE have the most exciting and ambitious project in England and we’re far from a mess. Chaotic in the transfer window? Fair. But on the pitch and around the team itself we are definitely not a mess.

On current form he should be a shoe in over Phil but the problem is one or them has to get shoehorned to the left. A brave manager might play Bellingham as an 8 with Saka, Palmer, Foden ahead but I feel it'd be holding back Jude a lot.

None of Saka, Palmer, Bellingham or Foden are better than Gordon on the left.

Shit, none of them are better than Sterling or Rashford on the left.

Palmer plays at the expense of Saka or Bellingham, basically.

Unless, as you say, Bellingham is played as an 8. But that leaves Rice/Mainoo/Wharton isolated in no man’s land as a 6.

I’d hope that Carsley or the next manager takes a genuinely holistic view at a world class generation of options and not just play the same players every game.

Maybe it will turn out to be something in the future but I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion so far.

Your new structure deciding to fire a manager and not only flip flopping over a 90 minute match but overhauling the coaching staff for him to then potentially/likely sack him months later is much worse than anything we've done under Clearlake which is saying something.

Watching Palmer reminds me of how I used to feel watching Eden Hazard, especially the early Hazard years where he was wow’ing me damn near every week.

Honestly? I don’t see him like that at all. He always seems ruthlessly effective more than shockingly impressive.

You obviously watch Chelsea more than I do. Not arguing.

He’s a really weird player. As I said above, he reminds me of Kaka. He doesn’t rely on pace but he’s quick. He has a world class first touch but it’s never Berbatov-esque, it’s just perfect all the time. He has that weird accidental ability to be available all the time, in a space that sees a good touch and push of the ball, see him suddenly be in a dangerous pocket of space after going past someone.

He’s a weird player. Brilliant though.

Honestly? I don’t see him like that at all. He always seems ruthlessly effective more than shockingly impressive.

You obviously watch Chelsea more than I do. Not arguing.

He’s a really weird player. As I said above, he reminds me of Kaka. He doesn’t rely on pace but he’s quick. He has a world class first touch but it’s never Berbatov-esque, it’s just perfect all the time. He has that weird accidental ability to be available all the time, in a space that sees a good touch and push of the ball, see him suddenly be in a dangerous pocket of space after going past someone.

He’s a weird player. Brilliant though.
Doesn’t look accidental to me, tbh. Looks effortlessly intuitive.

The chance to sign him would be if Chelsea get in to severe financial trouble.
If that ever happened we’d have plenty of other players to sell.

In terms of form and balance it should be Saka/Palmer/Gordon for England. Foden and Bellingham will have to earn their way back in.

Would he? Or would we turn him into an 120m flop?

You’re hardly challenging at the top end though are you? We’ve won more trophies in the past couple of years than yous have. So if players are interested in winning trophies then we’d be a better proposition than you would.

That free kick was so special. After it went in the whole stadium erupted. Can't remember the last time I heard a roar like that at Stamford Bridge.

You’re hardly challenging at the top end though are you? We’ve won more trophies in the past couple of years than yous have. So if players are interested in winning trophies then we’d be a better proposition than you would.
Just curious, how does that look if you extend the arbitrary timeframe beyond two years and instead to three or perhaps four?

Maybe it will turn out to be something in the future but I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion so far.

Your new structure deciding to fire a manager and not only flip flopping over a 90 minute match but overhauling the coaching staff for him to then potentially/likely sack him months later is much worse than anything we've done under Clearlake which is saying something.
No offence to that poster but he seems to have the strongest pair of red tinted glasses I’ve ever seen. There’s never a cross word about United or staff. They do everything in a world class way.

I think we’re closer to being “back” than you guys are. Half your fanbase wants the manager sacked and if you don’t win tomorrow it may be more.

As for Palmer, at some stage he’s gonna ask himself “why the feck did I sign a 9 year contract’?
He’d only be thinking that if an enticing club started showing interest. Who is that club with Real Madrid having no need for another attacking mid?

Fantastic player and I have to admit I like his goal celebration. It's unique and not overly arrogant.

And it's pretty irrelevant in the context of Palmer.

If he decides to move on (which yes ofcourse I am worried may happen if we don't start challenging for the big ones pretty soon) it will be to a team that can offer sustained and consistent challenges for the big two. So unless something drastically changes in the coming years Madrid as their new galatico or (if they are let off the charges) a return to City will likely be his next move if there is one.

Yes fair enough for winning those cups and I certainly wouldn't have turned my nose up at doing the same in the last two years (and I'm still annoyed at the League Cup final) but that won't be enough to make a player of Palmers ever increasing pedigree move at this point. Didn't he already reject you for City at academy level? If so that alone shows he is firmly a player that is career ambitions first, sentiment second (if leaving the club he grew up at for a first team spot elsewhere to give him the platform to become what he has wasn't already evidence enough).