Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

There was a short BTS clip of him for BT or SkySports etc where they asked him to do his celebration on a green screen.

They mentioned holding up 3 fingers, which he replied why not 4!

Great to rehash after today match.

Should he be near the conversation for Ballon D'Or? Maybe not this season but at the rate next year is surely on the cards?

I can't think of another attacking wide player pumping anywhere near the numbers that this guy is.

I know Haaland is a freak of nature, but players like Palmer are why we start watching football in the first place. He just seems to glide.

Should he be near the conversation for Ballon D'Or? Maybe not this season but at the rate next year is surely on the cards?

I can't think of another attacking wide player pumping anywhere near the numbers that this guy is.

I know Haaland is a freak of nature, but players like Palmer are why we start watching football in the first place. He just seems to glide.
I’d argue that Palmer should probably be in contention for the Ballon d’Or. He’s a great player, definitely in the top 5 Premier League players right now.

Step 1 is against the rules. The buying club or any of its representatives are not allowed to talk to the player or any of his representatives (like his agent). That's why "tapping up" happens. The buying club engages a third party (typically a lawyer) to relay communication between buying club and player's representatives unofficially to avoid being sanctioned.

If you think step one doesn’t happen, you’re deluded. It’s how almost all transfers start. Yes, you’re correct in saying it’s not a CEO or Director of Football or whoever that talks to the agent every time. But it’s always Club contacts player first, almost all the time.

‘tapping up’ is decades out of date as a term. Tapping up is how the market functions.

Looks like I got this one badly wrong.

He's looking like money well spent so far. Still time for him to turn it around and prove me right.

Doesn't look like a one season wonder for Chelsea and crucially performed last season when his club were a complete mess at times.

Imagine selling Palmer willingly..
It wasn't willingly, he pretty much demanded to leave. He was asked to stay with Mahrez being sold but he didn't wanna rotate with Bernardo.

As a Chelsea fan who has felt the sting of seeing my club sell De Bruyne and Mo Salah only to then see them become world class superstars for rival PL clubs I find it difficult to have a go at City for selling him to us. Never in anyone’s wildest dreams did people predict Palmer would become arguably the best current PL player. Just like nobody saw it coming with Salah or KdB when they left Chelsea.

Fantastic player, world class at the moment. A natural footballer who understands his game, and the game.

Pep does regret selling him, of course.

How Southgate couldn't get him in the England team is astounding.

Well Pep could have promised him to play a bigger part. That is on him. Silva is 30 years old now.
That's not willingly selling him though. No one at City is immune to rotation bar Rodri and Erling. There was nothing to suggest Palmer merited more game time than Foden, KDB etc...

Fantastic player, world class at the moment. A natural footballer who understands his game, and the game.

Pep does regret selling him, of course.

How Southgate couldn't get him in the England team is astounding.

To be fair, he’s going to replace Saka, Bellingham or Foden. That’s a tough call.

Saka is bombproof reliable as he’s a goal threat and does a mental defensive shift.

Bellingham is the best of the four in question.

Foden is barely a starter.

I don’t see where Palmer fits. What formation would you play to get him in?

To be fair, he’s going to replace Saka, Bellingham or Foden. That’s a tough call.

Saka is bombproof reliable as he’s a goal threat and does a mental defensive shift.

On current form he should be a shoe in over Phil but the problem is one or them has to get shoehorned to the left. A brave manager might play Bellingham as an 8 with Saka, Palmer, Foden ahead but I feel it'd be holding back Jude a lot.

Saka to LW.

As a Chelsea fan who has felt the sting of seeing my club sell De Bruyne and Mo Salah only to then see them become world class superstars for rival PL clubs I find it difficult to have a go at City for selling him to us. Never in anyone’s wildest dreams did people predict Palmer would become arguably the best current PL player. Just like nobody saw it coming with Salah or KdB when they left Chelsea.
Had either come through your academy? Obviously neither was a local lad.

On current form he should be a shoe in over Phil but the problem is one or them has to get shoehorned to the left. A brave manager might play Bellingham as an 8 with Saka, Palmer, Foden ahead but I feel it'd be holding back Jude a lot.

Saka and Palmer can play on the left and still be great and impactful. It's Foden that has to be shoehorned everywhere because there are better players in every single position he plays in.

Saka and Palmer can play on the left and still be great and impactful. It's Foden that has to be shoehorned everywhere because there are better players in every single position he plays in.
Palmer struggled from the left anytime he was played there even in youth football. Watched him from youth level all the way up. Saka played LWB but never that I can recall as an out and out left winger.

Palmer struggled from the left anytime he was played there even in youth football. Watched him from youth level all the way up. Saka played LWB but never that I can recall as an out and out left winger.

And do you think they'd be as bad there as Foden is? There's literally nothing Foden brings to the table from the left. Bad angles, can't carry, can't turn and shoot from his usual spots, and England don't have a system where the off-ball movement and link-up abilities of Foden's teammates are anywhere near the level he's used to at City. If you don't create space and patterns for him, he's ineffective. Saka and Palmer on the other hand, can make something happen out of nothing, they don't need the system to be well-oiled in order to do it.

And do you think they'd be as bad there as Foden is? There's literally nothing Foden brings to the table from the left. Bad angles, can't carry, can't turn and shoot from his usual spots, and England don't have a system where the off-ball movement and link-up abilities of Foden's teammates are anywhere near the level he's used to at City. If you don't create space and patterns for him, he's ineffective. Saka and Palmer on the other hand, can make something happen out of nothing, they don't need the system to be well-oiled in order to do it.
I mean I just said he should play instead of Phil, you literally quoted the post in which I said it less than 5 minutes a go. Did you forget?

You should also probably take Peps job cause he must be an idiot playing him there for 5 seasons before last season.

Chelsea bought Palmer for 40M and sold us Mason Injury-prone Mount for 65M

Do I have this right?

I mean I just said he should play instead of Phil, you literally quoted the post in which I said it less than 5 minutes a go. Did you forget?

You said one of them has to be shoehorned, which I don't agree with. There are right-footed wide players who would be better there (Gordon, Rashford, Grealish, Barnes, Sterling, Sancho and others), but Palmer and Saka still have qualities that enable them to have impact from their less preferred side.

Even if Bellingham played deeper, Palmer should be the #10, Saka should be on the right, and a right-footer should play on the left IMO.

Chelsea bought Palmer for 40M and sold us Mason Injury-prone Mount for 65M

Do I have this right?
Cole Palmer for £40m and Eden Hazard for £32m are perhaps the best signings we’ve ever made in terms of money spent vs production.

You should also probably take Peps job cause he must be an idiot playing him there for 5 seasons before last season.

Pep knows exactly what Foden is, better than anyone. Small spaces manipulator and link-up player who heavily relies on his teammates' off-ball movement in order to be able to shine. And by shine I mean receiving, having time to turn, and then shoot in his little zone at the edge of the box. Or just make a good decision with space and time on the ball, created by his teammates for him, once again. Great player for sure, just no pace, no power, no transition threat, no carrying ability, not much of a passer or creative machine either, at all.