Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Can't believe how many people still cite the grew up a fan narrative as an argument when there are countless examples available that it does in fact mean feck all, just for the top English clubs alone.

When was the last time it actually made a difference in a transfer saga?
Agree. That boyhood club thing is overplayed.

Brought in Jackson who's alright but nothing special, and in reality should've been picked-up by a mid-table club instead of a club that wants to presumably return to the top and win the CL and PL eventually. I don't think Jackson can lead the line for a team like that, and won't develop into a player that can, either, but you probably disagree with that, it's fine.

Brought in Caicedo for 100m, when he's worth around 50-60

Brought in Enzo for 107m, when he's worth around 50-60

-brought in Potter and never gave him a structure he could succeed in, despite being a potentially promising appointment otherwise

-brought in Pochettino who was just a really underwhelming appointment
You have Hojlund or Zirkzee leading your line, you brought in Anthony for £95m who's worth not even half of that, you've had your fair share of wrong manager appointments after SAF.

This really is a contest between shit and shittier.

Agree. That boyhood club thing is overplayed.

I don’t think ever seen a player more open about supporting a club than Declan Rice was about Chelsea yet he straight up rejected us for our crosstown rivals because they offered the better project and better chance compete for trophies.

There is no planet on which Chelsea sells Cole Palmer for £80-100m. We sold Hazard for over £100m with a year left on his deal.

When have Chelsea ever been in a position where a player has forced our hand? I can’t recall one. If the time ever comes where Palmer demands out it’s either pay a record fee for him or he stays. Simple.

You’ll sell the player for whatever the market decides he’s worth. It’s literally how every single transfer has worked, including the Hazard example.

Regardless, my point isn’t anything to do with the actual fee, only that contract length has nothing to do with anything in terms of fee inflation, and that underpaying a player makes him easier to buy, not harder. If he was on £350k a week for 4 years, he’d be impossible to buy as someone would have to pay a huge fee, AND huge wages.

Currently, the best clubs in the world could offer to double or triple his wages and half his contract length. He has all of the power. It’s weird to suggest otherwise.

Palmer continuing where he left off. Wolves left him acres of space there but he did make great use of it. Very efficient player and that chip was awesome.

I think he was quite isolated on the right vs City, mostly because Enzo was crap in the 10, and we did a poor job of getting our wide players involved. Yesterday was much more like it.

You have Hojlund or Zirkzee leading your line, you brought in Anthony for £95m who's worth not even half of that, you've had your fair share of wrong manager appointments after SAF.

This really is a contest between shit and shittier.

You really mention Hojlund, probably the best U21 striker around (or top 2 after Ferguson) and one of the biggest prospects in his position? And it's not like Zirkzee hasn't been promising in his 2 games so far. Was this meant to be some sort of gotcha post?

Antony was 80m and Ineos had nothing to do with that, as they weren't at the club back then. I also claimed he's worth around half that at best, and that we're getting fleeced like I've never seen before, back in 2022, when we signed him. You can look up my posts about him if you want.

Not sure how any of Hojlund, Zirkzee or Antony can be brought up against Ineos?

You really mention Hojlund, probably the best U21 striker around and one of the biggest prospects in his position? And it's not like Zirkzee hasn't been promising in his 2 games so far. Was this meant to be some sort of gotcha post?

Antony was 80m and Ineos had nothing to do with that, as they weren't at the club back then. I also claimed he's worth around half that at best, and that we're getting fleeced like I've never seen before, back in 2022, when we signed him. You can look up my posts about him if you want.

Its a strange thing to mention when Liverpool have blown similar on Nunez, Keita, Thiago etc.

You really mention Hojlund, probably the best U21 striker around and one of the biggest prospects in his position? And it's not like Zirkzee hasn't been promising in his 2 games so far. Was this meant to be some sort of gotcha post?

Yeah I'm not sold on Hojlund let alone best U21 striker around. Just don't think he'll make it at the top level but fair enough if you think differently. He's definitely not rated like that outside the Caf or Utd fans, can tell you that much.

Antony was €95m cited by pretty much every reliable source that I can find, both in The Netherlands and sites like Transfermarket.

The point of my reply is that you were bringing up examples that Utd have been guilty of as well in the past, just like pretty much every other club. The jury is still out on whether Ineos will be any different than that so comparing is pretty pointless at this time.

Its a strange thing to mention when Liverpool have blown similar on Nunez, Keita, Thiago etc.
Gonna put you on ignore, you really are the absolute worst at diverting discussions to things that don't matter; see ya.

Yeah I'm not sold on Hojlund let alone best U21 striker around. Just don't think he'll make it at the top level but fair enough if you think differently. He's definitely not rated like that outside the Caf or Utd fans, can tell you that much.

Antony was €95m cited by pretty much every reliable source that I can find, both in The Netherlands and sites like Transfermarket.

The point of my reply is that you were bringing up examples that Utd have been guilty of as well in the past, just like pretty much every other club. The jury is still out on whether Ineos will be any different than that so comparing is pretty pointless at this time.

I know how good Hojlund is, and how he will explode when he gets a good team around him. I'm not too concerned about rival fans' opinions about him, as even among United fans he's not rated as highly as he should be.

You put £ instead of € before Antony's name in your previous post, that's what caused the misunderstanding.

And yes, we were operated awfully under the Glazers, but Ineos has been really promising so far. Even if they're just half-decent owners, things will turn out well for us, but what they've shown so far goes way beyond half-decent tbh.

I know how good Hojlund is, and how he will explode when he gets a good team around him. I'm not too concerned about rival fans' opinions about him, as even among United fans he's not rated as highly as he should be.

You put £ instead of € before Antony's name in your previous post, that's what caused the misunderstanding.

And yes, we were operated awfully under the Glazers, but Ineos has been really promising so far. Even if they're just half-decent owners, things will turn out well for us, but what they've shown so far goes way beyond half-decent tbh.
Fair enough all that. This would be a much more positive place if half of the members shared your optimism about the future of your team :lol:

I think he was quite isolated on the right vs City, mostly because Enzo was crap in the 10, and we did a poor job of getting our wide players involved. Yesterday was much more like it.
And that's the big difference too in obviously playing City instead of Wolves. I am not even sure who the LB was. I dont think Enzo has enough to play as a 10. You have 3 good players centrally but for me they all kinda do the same. Not completely, but close..

Fair enough all that. This would be a much more positive place if half of the members shared your optimism about the future of your team :lol:

I'm usually optimistic about United no matter what, but I think there's actually good reason to be optimistic these days.

And it's important not to lose your mind after every single minor inconvenience, like an unlucky loss at the start of the season, or a few injuries that are inevitable anyways, or the club not being able to sell everyone they want in one summer, etc. basically every single small negative thing with no real long-term effect that's happened since Ineos came in.

The performances have been decent in our first 3 competitive games (if you count the Community Shield as one), and we are in much better hands now than in the preceding 18-19 years. Just got to look at the bigger picture and there's good reason to be optimistic IMO.

I think long term the future is very bright for United. The potential stadium work, the recruitment and shifting of unwanted players this summer has been top notch. The players we’ve brought in and are still mooted to bring in, improve the squad enormously and are of a young age profile. The youth recruitment has been superb. The executive management team is now top notch. They seem to be overhauling everything with an extremely high level of competence. There’s so much to be positive about as a United fan.

But (there’s always a but. Isn’t there?) there are short term questions to be answered about the coach. Very few fans think he’s up to the standard required. And I don’t think many see things changing on the pitch, at the rate they’ve changed off it, until a new manager is brought in. Time will tell.

I think long term the future is very bright for United. The potential stadium work, the recruitment and shifting of unwanted players this summer has been top notch. The players we’ve brought in and are still mooted to bring in, improve the squad enormously and are of a young age profile. The youth recruitment has been superb. The executive management team is now top notch. They seem to be overhauling everything with an extremely high level of competence. There’s so much to be positive about as a United fan.

But (there’s always a but. Isn’t there?) there are short term questions to be answered about the coach. Very few fans think he’s up to the standard required. And I don’t think many see things changing on the pitch, at the rate they’ve changed off it, until a new manager is brought in. Time will tell.
Why you bothering feeding the troll?

I don't think anyone in here disagrees that Palmer can (and might) leave earlier than his 9-year contract if he really wants out of Chelsea at some point in the (near or distant) future.

It's just the notion that, at the very least at this point in time and without knowing how both clubs will perform in 2-5 years, he'd want out of Chelsea to join United which is ridiculous.
I'm sure that given the right circumstances United would be his club of choice for his next move but what are the odds that the planets will align sufficiently to make it a sound career choice?

Slim at best.

Can't wait to see how many of these guys Bogarde their way through these deals.

Very much doubt it considering there are all young players who aren't on high wages that they couldn't get somewhere else.

You really mention Hojlund, probably the best U21 striker around (or top 2 after Ferguson) and one of the biggest prospects in his position? And it's not like Zirkzee hasn't been promising in his 2 games so far. Was this meant to be some sort of gotcha post?

You know Jackson outscored Hojlund the last 2 seasons right, Jackson was better on the eye too.

You know Jackson outscored Hojlund the last 2 seasons right, Jackson was better on the eye too.

Bolded part definitely isn't true for me. And Hojlund is the better player in my opinion with a higher ceiling too.

"Hey mate, care to join a club that makes more revenue and has a bigger global fanbase - most of whom you'll never see? Downside is they win less, you'll be surrounded by worse players, and have to move back to Manchester. "
The cheek of you to turn your nose up at the notion of a Manc lad moving closer to home like most of you southerners aren't miserable living in London :lol:

Bolded part definitely isn't true for me. And Hojlund is the better player in my opinion with a higher ceiling too.

Personally disagree, and I say that as someone who’s probably one of Hojlund’s biggest fans on the caf. Jackson is more aesthetically pleasing to watch between the two, and I think their ceiling is about the same. At the moment I think Jackson is the better player. I accept we probably won’t see eye to eye on that one though ;)

Personally disagree, and I say that as someone who’s probably one of Hojlund’s biggest fans on the caf. Jackson is more aesthetically pleasing to watch between the two, and I think their ceiling is about the same. At the moment I think Jackson is the better player. I accept we probably won’t see eye to eye on that one though ;)
I think Jackson will create more for your team, but will have you pulling your hair out with his offsides and finishing. With better service, I think Hojlund will be a more aesthetically pleasing player than Jackson will ever be, but there's a chance at united that will never happen!

Will never happen now. He's made a huge mistake by committing his future to Chelsea.
In modern sports contracts are nothing more than two parties creating mutual leverage in exchange for things both sides want.

If Cole doesn’t like our project or wants to move somewhere else in two years, he could do it pretty easily. But it’s the same as if a player doesn’t pan out moving them is pretty easy if the wage structure isn’t mad. The length offers some assurance to both sides, and at least in America would add to the catastrophic insurance coverage.

But it isn’t the big deal everyone’s making it out to be.

These days, to be specific, it is seems mostly for anti Madrid and tampering protection I would think. If you come for Cole you are going to pay. Getting him to run down isnt an option.

Finishing. Didn't Jackson underperform his xg more than most PL strikers last season?
He did! And that was after making MAJOR improvements in performance against his xG in the second half. In fact he was good after January in relation to his xG… that’s how bad the Fall was for him.

Have to give Jackson credit though. Never dropped his head or hid in a corner, keeps working and going after chances. He is mentally tough. And the other parts of his game (link up, holding the ball, pressing are awesome).

He just needs to learn some veteran striker tricks: against Wolves he had that break away towards goal, and he let the defender ride up on his back enough to knock him off the ball without a foul. He needs to shoot sooner, or cut towards the center and alter his pace so the defender had to risk taking out his legs and giving a penalty.

He watches a ton of film though, and you can see constant adjustments to his game, so I’m pretty positive about him.

In modern sports contracts are nothing more than two parties creating mutual leverage in exchange for things both sides want.

If Cole doesn’t like our project or wants to move somewhere else in two years, he could do it pretty easily. But it’s the same as if a player doesn’t pan out moving them is pretty easy if the wage structure isn’t mad. The length offers some assurance to both sides, and at least in America would add to the catastrophic insurance coverage.

But it isn’t the big deal everyone’s making it out to be.

These days, to be specific, it is seems mostly for anti Madrid and tampering protection I would think. If you come for Cole you are going to pay. Getting him to run down isnt an option.

Felix is back. As good as Palmer is he can't do it on his own. With Palmer and Felix you might actually win something now.

I think Jackson will create more for your team, but will have you pulling your hair out with his offsides and finishing. With better service, I think Hojlund will be a more aesthetically pleasing player than Jackson will ever be, but there's a chance at united that will never happen!

I'm not sure I agree, I just think they are different type of forwards, and Jackson has certain attributes over Hojlund that makes him better on the eye. The thing Hojlund has over Jackson, which is the most important part really, is he's way more clinical. If he had the same amount of chances Jackson enjoyed last season, ignoring everything else, I'm sure he'd manage more than the 17 goals Jackson scored. Jackson is a huge part of why a lot of those chances get created in the first place though, for himself and for others, which is where I think he excels over Hojlund.

I love both players. I think they're at a similar level generally speaking, but I think Jackson edges it at the moment. Interesting players to compare over the next couple of years (if Chelsea and United keep letting them play).

I'm not sure I agree, I just think they are different type of forwards, and Jackson has certain attributes over Hojlund that makes him better on the eye. The thing Hojlund has over Jackson, which is the most important part really, is he's way more clinical. If he had the same amount of chances Jackson enjoyed last season, ignoring everything else, I'm sure he'd manage more than the 17 goals Jackson scored. Jackson is a huge part of why a lot of those chances get created in the first place though, for himself and for others, which is where I think he excels over Hojlund.

I love both players. I think they're at a similar level generally speaking, but I think Jackson edges it at the moment. Interesting players to compare over the next couple of years (if Chelsea and United keep letting them play).
That's fair, it will come down to personal preference, but I do see your point about Jackson. He is probably ahead of Hojlund as it stands, but it will hopefully be a good rivalry to watch develop over the next few years.

Gonna put you on ignore, you really are the absolute worst at diverting discussions to things that don't matter; see ya.

Do we ever see who the most/least ignored users are?

Just checked, I’m ignoring 282 people and 21 threads.

282 people :lol: :eek:

That’s more a judgement on me than others.

The Covid threads and Westminster probably accounted for half. Absolutely wrong headed people just draining my energy. I’m sure they felt the same about me. I think I once had a page load during Covid that only had two posts as all others were from blocked users.