Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Can see Palmer wanting a move in a couple of years. Can't see it being to Man Utd.

Then again I probably would've said the same thing about Mount a couple of years ago so you never know.

The key being that Mount was just about considered dead wood at the time (by the hierarchy). Unwanted and end of contract. There will never be a case where Chelsea sell one of their best to a club outside of Spain.

We had an injury riddled season. I wish it was only our "end of year"!
It wasn't only end of year for us either, but end of year sticks out due to playing Jonny Evans and Casemiro at CB with the sprinkling of Kambwala

If he has another season or two identical to this last one and Real Madrid come in for him we’d absolutely demand £150-200m for him. And no PL club is offering that.

You can demand it all you like, nobody will pay it.

You’ll have an underpaid player on a whopping long contract that won’t want to play for you. In 99% of scenarios, that results in the player leaving for a sensible fee.

Chelsea fans believing that a 7-9 year contract inflates a transfer fee are going to be in for some shocks. A contract length of 3 remaining years has exactly the same impact. If a player wants to leave, he will. ‘You’re our player for the next 8 years” is such an irrelevance.

All this will be moot if the manager gets Chelsea winning trophies and moving in the right direction. Nothing I’m seeing suggests that’s going to be the case in the next two years though.

He's a sensational player, just has that "it" factor and football IQ, the kind of player you could just follow for an entire game and not get bored at all. It was madness that he wasn't featured more in the Euros as he has more positional flexibility and better versitality than the likes of Bellingham, Foden, ... who were shoestrung into the starting XI.

Chelsea would've been nowhere without him last season and seems like he isn't going nowhere this season either. For some reason I think he fares better in a team like this Chelsea where he can free flow a bit, instead of following strict orders from Pep at City.

He was definitely a life vest for us last season, and I’m buzzing to see that he has seemingly continued where he left off.

There was a very small concern at the back of my head that he could potentially be a crazy one season wonder, so I really wanted him to get going early this season.

I do feel like moving him central could potentially unlock more in him that we haven’t seen much of yet.

You’ll have an underpaid player on a whopping long contract that won’t want to play for you. In 99% of scenarios, that results in the player leaving for a sensible fee.

Chelsea fans believing that a 7-9 year contract inflates a transfer fee are going to be in for some shocks. A contract length of 3 remaining years has exactly the same impact. If a player wants to leave, he will. ‘You’re our player for the next 8 years” is such an irrelevance.

All this will be moot if the manager gets Chelsea winning trophies and moving in the right direction. Nothing I’m seeing suggests that’s going to be the case in the next two years though.
I don't think anyone in here disagrees that Palmer can (and might) leave earlier than his 9-year contract if he really wants out of Chelsea at some point in the (near or distant) future.

It's just the notion that, at the very least at this point in time and without knowing how both clubs will perform in 2-5 years, he'd want out of Chelsea to join United which is ridiculous.

"Hey mate, care to join a club that makes more revenue and has a bigger global fanbase - most of whom you'll never see? Downside is they win less, you'll be surrounded by worse players, and have to move back to Manchester. "
Win less? Worse players?

Do Chelsea fans think they support City?

I always find it funny how United fans think that's the most important thing.
It's really odd flex to use aswell (well not surprising given who's doing it) as not one single Chelsea fan has ever tried to claim otherwise.

However on this topic, unfortunately there is a possibility Palmer will want to move if we don't sort ourselves out, however it won't be to somewhere that will (unless something spectacularly changes) be a sideways move at most, no matter what or who he loved as a child.

Real Madrid or a return to City would be the biggest threats, maybe at a push Paris.

Last edited:

If nobody pays it then he stays, right? So what are we arguing about?

You’ve literally just seen him get a wage raise. If he continues to perform he’ll continue getting his wages raised. That’s been the plan from the start. Incentive based contracts. We’ve done it for all of our signing under the new ownership. There are reports that Nico Jackson will be getting a wage raise next.

You seem to be under the impression that the wages these players are on when they signed in 2023 will be the same wages they’ll be on in 2026 if they performed well the whole time.

It would obviously be very difficult to get Palmer out of Chelsea, especially in the next 12-24 months, and yes, as @WeePat put it, it's way more unlikely than likely to happen, but it's definitely not impossible. If Palmer really wanted to make the move, and we are willing to pay a new British transfer record fee, I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility.

And I have to say some opposition fans are making ridiculous claims in here. Anyone suggesting he'll go to any of Arsenal, Liverpool, or Bayern before United, if we really wanted him are delusional.

1. Financial power. Not many teams can compete with United on that front these days. Those clubs mentioned in earlier posts couldn't match and/or wouldn't be willing to match what we'd be offering, both in terms of wages and the transfer fee. I also don't see him going to an unserious league like Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga as a 22 year old, world class English player. Bayern or PSG are far from being Real Madrid or Barcelona where the prestige of playing for them and having a real chance in the UCL every year compensates for not playing in the Premier League. And La Liga is more competitive than Germany or France anyway.

2. United are still the biggest club in England and 9 out of 10 British players would choose us over domestic rivals IMO if we seriously wanted them.

3. Palmer is from Manchester and United are his boyhood club.

4. The Ineos project are currently the most exciting and most ambitious football project in England.

It's crystal clear that it will probably be United that Palmer moves to, if he does leave Chelsea within the next 12-24 months. The only real threat could be City IMO, if they are still around after the 115 charges, as they can compete with us financially and are much more attractive than United from a sporting perspective currently. Of course, he could stay at Chelsea for the long-term, and there hasn't been any indication both from United, Chelsea, or Palmer, that a move could be on the cards, so it's a bit of a pointless discussion right now. But if that changes, don't be mistaken. United are definitely going to be there, and most likely in pole position.

I don't think anyone in here disagrees that Palmer can (and might) leave earlier than his 9-year contract if he really wants out of Chelsea at some point in the (near or distant) future.

It's just the notion that, at the very least at this point in time and without knowing how both clubs will perform in 2-5 years, he'd want out of Chelsea to join United which is ridiculous.

Oh 100%. Zero chance he moves to United.

Must be some absurdly low incentives that have to be met :p
More non-penalty goals scored than Salah since the start of last season I saw posted on Twitter yesterday! Don’t know if that’s true or not but he has been pretty solid for us.

If nobody pays it then he stays, right? So what are we arguing about?

You’ve literally just seen him get a wage raise. If he continues to perform he’ll continue getting his wages raised. That’s been the plan from the start. Incentive based contracts. We’ve done it for all of our signing under the new ownership. There are reports that Nico Jackson will be getting a wage raise next.

You seem to be under the impression that the wages these players are on when they signed in 2023 will be the same wages they’ll be on in 2026 if they performed well the whole time.

No. He won’t be held prisoner on low wages. The position isn’t ’He is under contract until 2033 unless someone pays £150-200m’.

It’s ’He’ll Play for Chelsea until he doesn’t want to’.

If the market decides he’s worth £80-100m, that’s what he’ll sell for. Having a 9 year contract doesn’t increase his value and it’s very silly to suggest it does.

Palmer could conceivably join Utd in the future.

But to do so, a number of things would likely need to happen.
  • Utd to become a consistent Top 4 side, if not title challengers.
  • Utd get squad, finances and PSR sorted so they'd be able to go £100M+ on a single player.
  • Chelsea continue to underachieve.
  • Chelsea buy shiny new toys so that Palmer's importance becomes less for them.
These things aren't impossible to happen, but that's what you're looking at realistically for a transfer to happen in a few years, and it will take a few years for these things to play out you'd imagine.

Last edited:
Win less? Worse players?

Do Chelsea fans think they support City?
Chelsea are the second most successful English club in the last 20 years, after Manchester City, it is what it is.
They’ve won 2 CL’s and 5 PL titles with 5 different managers.
They’ve won a European Cup 3 years ago.

Not that I think that’s why Palmer went to Chelsea necessarily, but its all water under the bridge now.
The time to buy Palmer was last summer, I saw him play for City during the treble seasons a few times and he looked the real deal, but City were never selling him to us nor do I think there was any interest from United (?).

Wasn’t Luke Shaw a fan of Chelsea yet chose to sign for us because we offered more money?
John Terry was a United fas as well but choose to join Chelsea’s academy back in the day (thanks for Moscow though).

Great player for Chelsea, if anyone here thinks signing him for 150m or something is a good idea, please take a look at the biggest transfers in football history and how most of them turned out.

It's really odd flex to use aswell (well probably surprising given who's doing it) as not one single Chelsea fan has ever tried to claim otherwise.

However on this topic, unfortunately there is a possibility Palmer will want to move if we don't sort ourselves out, however it won't be to somewhere that will (unless something spectacularly changes) be a sideways move at most, no matter what or who he loved as a child.

Real Madrid or a return to City would be the biggest threats, maybe at a push Paris.
He will be very popular.

Chelsea are the second most successful English club in the last 20 years, after Manchester City, it is what it is.
They’ve won 2 CL’s and 5 PL titles with 5 different managers.
They’ve won a European Cup 3 years ago.

Not that I think that’s why Palmer went to Chelsea necessarily, but its all water under the bridge now.
The time to buy Palmer was last summer, I saw him play for City during the treble seasons a few times and he looked the real deal, but City were never selling him to us nor do I think there was any interest from United (?).

Wasn’t Luke Shaw a fan of Chelsea yet chose to sign for us because we offered more money?
John Terry was a United fas as well but choose to join Chelsea’s academy back in the day (thanks for Moscow though).

Great player for Chelsea, if anyone here thinks signing him for 150m or something is a good idea, please take a look at the biggest transfers in football history and how most of them turned out.
I don't think the last 20 years trophy count really matters for players in the here and now? Unless Terry, Lampard and Drogba are planning on rocking up.

The last 2 years we've won 2 trophies while playing in superior European competitions. They've won feck all. So win more? Not quite.

No. He won’t be held prisoner on low wages. The position isn’t ’He is under contract until 2033 unless someone pays £150-200m’.

It’s ’He’ll Play for Chelsea until he doesn’t want to’.

If the market decides he’s worth £80-100m, that’s what he’ll sell for. Having a 9 year contract doesn’t increase his value and it’s very silly to suggest it does.
There is no planet on which Chelsea sells Cole Palmer for £80-100m. We sold Hazard for over £100m with a year left on his deal.

When have Chelsea ever been in a position where a player has forced our hand? I can’t recall one. If the time ever comes where Palmer demands out it’s either pay a record fee for him or he stays. Simple.

Good thing is that he's a Man United fan, but to be honest, Chelsea finished above us last year, maybe this year too.

Why would he join United, when the lad can go to City in 3/4 years, or stay at Chelsea, earning big big money?

Think he would be the obvious replacement to Bruno, but money can't afford eveything.

With his 9 years contract, the guy should be around 300M !

I forget how fragile folk can be online.

Hardly unsurprising posters have talked about the player playing for United in his career given what’s been reported about him and his family.

Palmer continuing where he left off. Wolves left him acres of space there but he did make great use of it. Very efficient player and that chip was awesome.

Isn't it a little bit early for that?
Plus, I’d argue our long term project is the most ambitious. Look at all the wonder kids we’ve signed recently. Estevão, Paez, Anselmino, that keeper from Genk who is described as the “next Courtois.” Almost all of our mega money first team signings being in their early 20’s.

I think the only United player I’d personally take in the Chelsea XI is Lisandro. Where you get this idea that your squad is superior is hilarious to me.

I think your first sentence is what's hilarious.

For the type of football Maresca wants, Onana walks into the XI over Sánchez. We'll see how good Jorgensen is, though, when he's given a real chance to claim the number 1 role, although it's highly unlikely he's a better ball-player and passer than Onana. Maybe a better shot-stopper, though.

De Ligt, Maguire or Yoro could take the RCB spot from Fofana, but this one isn't a given.

I think Maresca would sacrifice one of Colwill or Cucurella for Martínez, but this one also isn't a given. However, Martínez's in-possession qualities would be impossible to ignore for your manager IMO, so he would find a place for him, as he's way superior to both Colwill and Cucurella in possession. Defensively is where Colwill could have an advantage IMO.

A fit Luke Shaw starts over any left-back you have.

Dalot and Mazraoui would have a shot at displacing Gusto. Not a fit James, though.

Mainoo walks into the squad at LCM over Enzo. The Argentinian is a better passer and that's about it, whilst heavily struggling with the physicality and intensity with the Premier League and being inferior to Mainoo in every other important aspect I can think of as well.

Fernandes would play at #10 with Palmer on the right, if Maresca had both of them in his squad.

Mount would get significant game time, but probably wouldn't be part of your strongest XI.

Rashford and Garnacho on form start over any left winger you currently have other than maybe Neto. Close call.

Amad/Madueke is another close call, depends on the latter's mentality probably.

Hojlund is superior to Jackson.

Zirkzee would get a lot of game time, like Mount.

I think you can consider City and Arsenal as complete projects at this point, so from the remaining teams, United are first and Spurs second for me.
It's far too early to make a judgement, and even if it was their first big call was to fire a manager then flip flop over one match.

Not to mention, The Glazers are still majority owners, time will tell if their ego can sit out long term.

Why would Palmer leave? Surely it would be more to Real if he did? He has a lot of freedom over at Chelsea, can't really see him leaving... not that I am promoting Chelsea but I don't really see it.

It's far too early to make a judgement, and even if it was their first big call was to fire a manager then flip flop over one match.

Not to mention, The Glazers are still majority owners, time will tell if their ego can sit out long term.
You do realise they don’t have any investment in football operations now? They can’t go back on that even if they stay longer term.

I think your first sentence is what's hilarious.

For the type of football Maresca wants, Onana walks into the XI over Sánchez. We'll see how good Jorgensen is, though, when he's given a real chance to claim the number 1 role, although it's highly unlikely he's a better ball-player and passer than Onana. Maybe a better shot-stopper, though.

De Ligt, Maguire or Yoro could take the RCB spot from Fofana, but this one isn't a given.

I think Maresca would sacrifice one of Colwill or Cucurella for Martínez, but this one also isn't a given. However, Martínez's in-possession qualities would be impossible to ignore for your manager IMO, so he would find a place for him, as he's way superior to both Colwill and Cucurella in possession. Defensively is where Colwill could have an advantage IMO.

A fit Luke Shaw starts over any left-back you have.

Dalot and Mazraoui would have a shot at displacing Gusto. Not a fit James, though.

Mainoo walks into the squad at LCM over Enzo. The Argentinian is a better passer and that's about it, whilst heavily struggling with the physicality and intensity with the Premier League and being inferior to Mainoo in every other important aspect I can think of as well.

Fernandes would play at #10 with Palmer on the right, if Maresca had both of them in his squad.

Mount would get significant game time, but probably wouldn't be part of your strongest XI.

Rashford and Garnacho on form start over any left winger you currently have other than maybe Neto. Close call.

Amad/Madueke is another close call, depends on the latter's mentality probably.

Hojlund is superior to Jackson.

Zirkzee would get a lot of game time, like Mount.
Let’s just say I laughed at this and disagree on just about everything and leave it at that. No need to clog the thread with these kinds of comparisons.

Plus, I’d argue our long term project is the most ambitious. Look at all the wonder kids we’ve signed recently. Estevão, Paez, Anselmino, that keeper from Genk who is described as the “next Courtois.” Almost all of our mega money first team signings being in their early 20’s.

We've got Ratcliffe, Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox, and Brailsford joining to lead the club in the last 12 months, whilst you have Boehly and Eghbali.

And we also have a lot of "wonderkids" and players who are teenagers or in their early 20s. Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho, Amass, Collyer, Hojlund, Amad, Zirkzee, Lacey, Ibragimov, Fitzgerald, Koné, Obi-Martin, Fletcher brothers, Mantato, and more.

Also, where is the pathway for those youngsters you've listed? Estevao and Paez awill turn 18 before next season starts, but you already have Palmer, Neto, and Madueke in their positions.

Let’s just say I laughed at this and disagree on just about everything and leave it at that. No need to clog the thread with these kinds of comparisons.

Of course you did. Feel free to bookmark my post and come back to it every 12 months from now.

We can’t sign Palmer realistically.

If he performs well and wants out from an underperforming Chelsea, they’re going to demand a crazy price for him.

If he doesn’t perform well and wants out, that’s not the kind of player that will bring us to the next level.

Can't believe how many people still cite the grew up a fan narrative as an argument when there are countless examples available that it does in fact mean feck all, just for the top English clubs alone.

When was the last time it actually made a difference in a transfer saga?

We've got Ratcliffe, Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox, and Brailsford joining to lead the club in the last 12 months, whilst you have Boehly and Eghbali.

And we also have a lot of "wonderkids" and players who are teenagers or in their early 20s. Yoro, Mainoo, Garnacho, Amass, Collyer, Hojlund, Amad, Zirkzee, Lacey, Ibragimov, Fitzgerald, Koné, Obi-Martin, Fletcher brothers, Mantato, and more.

Also, where is the pathway for those youngsters you've listed? Estevao and Paez awill turn 18 before next season starts, but you already have Palmer, Neto, and Madueke in their positions.
The same Boehly and Eghbali who have brought in Palmer, Jackson, Gusto, Lavia, Caicedo, Enzo, Neto, Felix etc? All of whom I think will be excellent signings long term for us? They’ve made some awful mistakes, true, but to act like they’ve been 100% incompetent is silly.

And it’s not like this supposedly brilliant INEOS have done anything noteworthy yet that proves they’re geniuses. It took them months to finally get the players in that you had been linked to for ages. You still haven’t signed Ugarte who you’ve been chasing for months. Maybe give them a couple of years to determine whether they’re any better than our ownership?

If he knows we’re after him though his head will surely turn. Grew up a fan. Still think it’s silly we didn’t try and sign him from city. They obviously didn’t rate him.

City would never have sold Palmer to us, they’re a bunch of bitter, petty bastards. They’ve got previous for putting “anti Utd” clauses into deals for players they’re selling to other clubs. Brahim Diaz being one example.

The same Boehly and Eghbali who have brought in Palmer, Jackson, Gusto, Lavia, Caicedo, Enzo, Neto, Felix etc? All of whom I think will be excellent signings long term for us? They’ve made some awful mistakes, true, but to act like they’ve been 100% incompetent is silly.

And it’s not like this supposedly brilliant INEOS have done anything noteworthy yet that proves they’re geniuses. It took them months to finally get the players in that you had been linked to for ages. You still haven’t signed Ugarte who you’ve been chasing for months. Maybe give them a couple of years to determine whether they’re any better than our ownership?

Brought in Jackson who's alright but nothing special, and in reality should've been picked-up by a mid-table club instead of a club that wants to presumably return to the top and win the CL and PL eventually. I don't think Jackson can lead the line for a team like that, and won't develop into a player that can, either, but you probably disagree with that, it's fine.

Brought in Caicedo for 100m, when he's worth around 50-60

Brought in Enzo for 107m, when he's worth around 50-60

Brought in Neto with a concerning injury record, when you already had more than enough wingers in the squad

Brought in Félix when you already have enough attacking players in the squad. The whole things is even funnier when you were originally going to buy Omorodion, a totally different profile and different position, and Félix suddenly emerged as plan B for him.

And let's not talk about how:

-they've horded 50 players together into one squad

-how they're sticking to some weird wage structure where they're apparently not willing to go above a certain number even for your best players

-about how they've sacked Tuchel

-brought in Potter and never gave him a structure he could succeed in, despite being a potentially promising appointment otherwise

-brought in Pochettino who was just a really underwhelming appointment