Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Was he named after Andy Cole? I know he's a United fan, is his family all United crazy?
Ironically Cole was about to join us in the early 00s but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

Apparently his dad’s a United season ticket holder.
Seen this pop up on twitter this morning

Twitterlink-https://x.com/UtdFaithfuls/status/1827668070862561683?t=fJBM36ulev8PLVVWibeHhw&s=19

The boys a huge talent and probably the English player I enjoy watching the most at the minute.

Scored a cracker goal yesterday too along with a hat trick of assists. If he hits the same numbers as last season then can't imagine him hanging around Chelsea for long, unless they defy odds and do better than expected.

Twitterlink-https://x.com/CFCAzM/status/1827847598566220204?t=x9QCe2y_or6Kf9TFMwYg2w&s=19

Seen this pop up on twitter this morning

Twitterlink-https://x.com/UtdFaithfuls/status/1827668070862561683?t=fJBM36ulev8PLVVWibeHhw&s=19

The boys a huge talent and probably the English player I enjoy watching the most at the minute.

Scored a cracker goal yesterday too along with a hat trick of assists. If he hits the same numbers as last season then can't imagine him hanging around Chelsea for long, unless they defy odds and do better than expected.

Twitterlink-https://x.com/CFCAzM/status/1827847598566220204?t=x9QCe2y_or6Kf9TFMwYg2w&s=19
He’s signed for 9 years here. Where do you think he’s going and why would he jump at the chance to extend 1 year into his deal if he was thinking about leaving?

If he carries on this form there’s nobody in Europe that could afford him. We sell players we don’t even want for ridiculous fees. So imagine what sort of fee it would take for our best player who’s on a 9 year contract.

Buying Mount (a player we don't need) from Chelsea to fund them buying Cole Palmer is one of the dumbest things we have ever witnessed

He’s signed for 9 years here. Where do you think he’s going and why would he jump at the chance to extend 1 year into his deal if he was thinking about leaving?

If he carries on this form there’s nobody in Europe that could afford him. We sell players we don’t even want for ridiculous fees. So imagine what sort of fee it would take for our best player who’s on a 9 year contract.

Well he’d double his wages elsewhere, so unless you’re going to match them for that 9 years, he’d be off immediately. Especially if the club remains chaotic.

The Chelsea big idea of long contracts for lower salaries only works until your players become in demand. They won’t sit around unless the club is challenging for every big title.

9 years may as well be 3 years if Real come in and he wants to go. It’s not like he’s suddenly worth £200m because his contract is 6 years longer. Chelsea don’t seem to realise they’re giving the players all the power with these massive long contracts.

Still, top player though.

Well he’d double his wages elsewhere, so unless you’re going to match them for that 9 years, he’d be off immediately. Especially if the club remains chaotic.

The Chelsea big idea of long contracts for lower salaries only works until your players become in demand. They won’t sit around unless the club is challenging for every big title.

9 years may as well be 3 years if Real come in and he wants to go. It’s not like he’s suddenly worth £200m because his contract is 6 years longer. Chelsea don’t seem to realise they’re giving the players all the power with these massive long contracts.

Yeah I agree with this.

It’s naive in this day to think you can sign someone to a 9 year deal and keep them even if they want to move on.

Pretty sure the long contracts are more due to Chelsea trying to circumvent FFP and extend the transfer fees over a longer period.

I'm not suggesting or implying Cole Palmer is going anywhere. But I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea are in a situation where they need to sell some of their players to release funds to strengthen the squad or to comply with FFP.

Pretty sure the long contracts are more due to Chelsea trying to circumvent FFP and extend the transfer fees over a longer period.

I'm not suggesting or implying Cole Palmer is going anywhere. But I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea are in a situation where they need to sell some of their players to release funds to strengthen the squad or to comply with FFP.
Incorrect - since that loophole was closed and we've carried on doing it anyway.

We'd build another hotel and sell it to ourselves before we sold Palmer. It ain't happening.

Yeah I agree with this.

It’s naive in this day to think you can sign someone to a 9 year deal and keep them even if they want to move on.

No disrespect to United, but it seems even more naive to think a move to United is possible, in this made up scenario where Palmer wants out of Chelsea 1 year into his brand new 9 year contract.

No disrespect to United, but it seems even more naive to think a move to United is possible, in this made up scenario where Palmer wants out of Chelsea 1 year into his brand new 9 year contract.

Of course it’s possible. If the money is there and the player wants it.

Obviously it’s not going to happen 1 year in but over the next few years you never know.

Surely he wouldn't have signed such a long deal without some sort of release clause/conditions.

Eg. Chelsea are not in the UCL, he can leave for a club that is?

Of course it’s possible. If the money is there and the player wants it.

Obviously it’s not going to happen 1 year in but over the next few years you never know.

I mean sure, it’s interesting to note what you think is naive and not naive then ;)

I’m just saying your view of what is naive is inherently biased by your United fandom. It’s fair enough. I’m like that at times too.

So you don’t think it’s possible that Palmer ever plays for United?

Probably more interesting to hear the reasons why than snipe.

As said players can end up anywhere if the buyer has money and the player’s wants the move. I’m not sure what bias that shows. I thought that was just logic.

So you don’t think it’s possible that Palmer ever plays for United?

Probably more interesting to hear the reasons why than snipe.

As said players can end up anywhere if the buyer has money and the player’s wants the move. I’m not sure what bias that shows. I thought that was just logic.

No, I’m not saying that. It’s very possible that he ends up at United at some point in the distant future, but the context of the conversation you were replying to was someone saying Palmer to United next summer is unlikely because he just a signed 9 year deal, which was in reply to someone suggesting United should pursue him next summer.

Palmer to United is something United fans have been writing fan fictions about for some time now. Nothing is impossible of course, but I think it isn’t naive to say that move is more unlikely than likely, even if you stretch the timeframe to the next few years

No, I’m not saying that. It’s very possible that he ends up at United at some point in the distant future, but the context of the conversation you were replying to was someone saying Palmer to United next summer is unlikely because he just a signed 9 year deal, which was in reply to someone suggesting United should pursue him next summer.

Palmer to United is something United fans have been writing fan fictions about for some time now. Nothing is impossible of course, but I think it isn’t naive to say that move is more unlikely than likely, even if you stretch the timeframe to the next few years
I think it’s naive to suggest just because a player has signed a long contact they’ll never leave the club.

United fans will suggest it as a possibility as it would seem that Palmer has been/still is a United fan, as is his family. I think it’s also fair to say United are a bigger club than Chelsea.

Ronaldo wanted Madrid and in the end we agreed to let him go. These things happen.

I think it’s naive to suggest just because a player has signed a long contact they’ll never leave the club.

United fans will suggest it as a possibility as it would seem that Palmer has been/still is a United fan, as is his family. I think it’s also fair to say United are a bigger club than Chelsea.

Ronaldo wanted Madrid and in the end we agreed to let him go. These things happen.

I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Apparantly Clearlake were horrified that Rudiger and Christensen left on a free, which is why they are still doing mega long contracts even though the ffp loophole has been closed.

They figure that if they keep the wages low enough, they won't become unsellable even if they don't work out. I think it's definitely going to backfire in some instances though.

If he has another season or two identical to this last one and Real Madrid come in for him we’d absolutely demand £150-200m for him. And no PL club is offering that.

I’d go all out for this guy next year. Would fit nicely at RW and can cover in AM. Such a good player. He’ll put up the numbers like Bruno’s been doing aswell. He’s been consistent in a bad team.

Buying Mount (a player we don't need) from Chelsea to fund them buying Cole Palmer is one of the dumbest things we have ever witnessed
Chelsea have literally spent over a billion under Boehly, I’m going out on a limb here but I don’t think Mount made much of a difference to who they would afford.

I’d go all out for this guy next year. Would fit nicely at RW and can cover in AM. Such a good player. He’ll put up the numbers like Bruno’s been doing aswell. He’s been consistent in a bad team.

Dont think he would want to leave. Plus we are currently not much better than them. Also Chelsea will just slap a silly price tag on him, he has a long contract. Would just be time wasted

There are credible reasons as to why he would return to Manchester to play for United or City one day in the future but it all depends on the trajectory of his career.

If he continues to impress and Chelsea continue to flounder he will seek a move sooner or later but his destination will depend on which club is seen as career progression.

As things stand he probably aspires to play for Real as United are underperforming their brand and he has history with City plus the uncertainty about the charges remains.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern are more likely than a Manchester club if not Madrid I think.

I can imagine a scenario where he maybe returns home in his declining years.

There are credible reasons as to why he would return to Manchester to play for United or City one day in the future but it all depends on the trajectory of his career.

If he continues to impress and Chelsea continue to flounder he will seek a move sooner or later but his destination will depend on which club is seen as career progression.

As things stand he probably aspires to play for Real as United are underperforming their brand and he has history with City plus the uncertainty about the charges remains.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern are more likely than a Manchester club if not Madrid I think.

I can imagine a scenario where he maybe returns home in his declining years.
Of course. The point I’m making is it’s naive to think a 9 year Clearlake contract means that’s how long he will stay…

Especially when he’s no real affinity to the club other than the fact they pay his wages.

Why would he leave us for a worse team? Because he was a boyhood United fan?

Reading this thread and others you’d think Chelsea finished 13th last season and United finished 3rd. We finished above you last season and I think we’ll finish above you again. Why would our best player just decide “yeah, I want to leave now?”

City youth product on a new, long contract, who could apparently be talked into leaving Chelsea because they're in a chaotic period, only for him to join... Manchester United, the poster club of stability these days.

Today on things you'd only ever read on the Caf.

City youth product on a new, long contract, who could apparently be talked into leaving Chelsea because they're in a chaotic period, only for him to join... Manchester United, the poster club of stability these days.

It's all your former CB's fault. Carragher failing to use critical thinking skills yet again...

What a strange comment