City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

They'll probably get fined and a transfer ban at most, then the fans will carry on believing they're not guilty like with the UEFA case
Yes a summer and winter transfer ban, with the summer ban being ‘postponed’ whilst appeals go on. After which it will end up being a winter ban only when no one does business anyway.

Mentioned in passing by Gary Lineker on MotD. Glossed over by Shearer.

Discussion over, move on.

Basically, no one gives a shit. They'll get away with it, no doubt about it.

Saw that, I think Shearer just said something along the lines of - it's not the players though is it. Lineker agreed, and they moved on.

Ulterior motive, or of their depth talking about it, there is no appetite amongst most of the TV fluff media to say anything it seems.

Sky Sports are insufferable talking about them. No mention of the 115 charges against them to allow them to get to where they are now.

They bank on the EPL and to have the most dominant team in the league being corrupt makes the league look shite. That doesn't fit the narrative they want which is all is rosy in the EPL.

Coming at this from the perspective of someone who is more a general fan of English football than of any one particular team, this thread is actually extraordinarily pathetic.

Manchester City have put together an incredible squad at a lower cost in transfer fees than Chelsea's and on a lower overall wage bill than both Manchester United and Chelsea (and no, Manchester City's transfer fees/wages for this season are not part of the charges brought against them by the Premier League).

In any case, those FFP rules that Manchester City are accused of breaking are despicable in their nature. I will never understand why it should be fair that teams like Manchester United and Real Madrid be legally protected to continuously outspend all their rivals simply through having created more revenue historically, leading to a perpetual cycle of anti-competitive protectionism where the fresh investment required for new competition is throttled.

I also notice a distinct lack of appreciation for what Manchester City have given to English football. Since 2009, Manchester City have brought a large volume of star players to the Premier League, contributed some of the league's most defining moments, contributed to England's coefficient in Europe and ultimately been a major reason behind the dramatic increase in television revenues which have benefitted the entire league and wider football pyramid.

I understand that there is also this "sportswashing" angle, but as with the above aspects, I also do not understand it at all - what exactly is the practical point that those who use this argument are trying to make?
Everybody cares about human rights abuses across the world and specifically in this instance, the related issues in the Middle East.
However, if Abu Dhabi hadn't purchased Manchester City, would all the political prisoners being held in the UAE now be free? If England had given the UAE and other Middle Eastern countries the cold shoulder in the past, would their subsequent pivot towards China and Russia have improved the human rights situations there?
Simply holding the position that you don't want such states to be involved in English football, with zero additional thought given to the wider context within which this viewpoint sits, is a completely closed-minded and morally indefensible position to hold. The way these situations improve is through dialogue and communication, through giving Qatar the World Cup then using this to push through the abolition of the kafala system.
It does not improve with stonewalling through the adoption of an us vs them attitude.

Last edited:
They sure will get away with it. It's a sad state, sucks when cheaters prosper and it happens too much.
As football is now a free for all you can understand why United fans have come to terms with swapping a bunch of leeches for a nation state.

The only way to combat it is to drop out of all FIFA/FA/UEFA competition and start a new one off.

If Man Utd were doing good on field, Man Utd fans wont even mention city's financial doping, but at the moment thats the only stick they are left to beat man city with. And, they dont want anyone to talk abt the fact that Man Utd's net expenditure easily matches city's or even higher....fact is pep has totally transformed man city and Man Utd are jut playing catchup game now and it can easily be decades for them before they win title, and thats why all this bitterness. Fans all over the world just want to see their teams playing fantastic football , scoring goals and winning titles...and only one team in manchester seems to be doing all that at the moment, while fans of other one are left with no choice but to badmouth city's success...
1/10
Must try harder.

Just showed their bus driving through and there’s more in my house than standing there. They had police watching the road and everything

Saw that, I think Shearer just said something along the lines of - it's not the players though is it. Lineker agreed, and they moved on.

Ulterior motive, or of their depth talking about it, there is no appetite amongst most of the TV fluff media to say anything it seems.

The players wouldn't be, wouldn't have even considered City as an option, if they hadn't cheated their way there.

Pep hadn't even heard of City 10 years ago.

'hope no one gets hurt' :lol:

It's a sunny Saturday afternoon, most of their support is local, and they can't muster more than 100 or so fans to celebrate outside the ground.

Can you imagine how many Barcelona, or Bayern, fans, who are used to winning regularly, would be celebrating outside the ground when they win the league?

The richest club in the World.

Coming at this from the perspective of someone who is more a general fan of English football than of any one particular team, this thread is actually extraordinarily pathetic.

Manchester City have put together an incredible squad at a lower cost in transfer fees than Chelsea's and on a lower overall wage bill than both ourselves and Chelsea (and no, Manchester City's transfer fees/wages for this season are not part of the charges brought against them by the Premier League).

In any case, those FFP rules that Manchester City are accused of breaking are despicable in their nature. I will never understand why it should be fair that teams like Manchester United and Real Madrid be legally protected to continuously outspend all their rivals simply through having created more revenue historically, leading to a perpetual cycle of anti-competitive protectionism where the fresh investment required for new competition is throttled.

I also notice a distinct lack of appreciation for what Manchester City have given to English football. Since 2009, Manchester City have brought a large volume of star players to the Premier League, contributed some of the league's most defining moments, contributed to England's coefficient in Europe and ultimately been a major reason behind the dramatic increase in television revenues which have benefitted the entire league and wider football pyramid.

I understand that there is also this "sportswashing" angle, but as with the above aspects, I also do not understand it at all - what exactly is the practical point that those who use this argument are trying to make?
Everybody cares about human rights abuses across the world and specifically in this instance, the related issues in the Middle East.
However, if Abu Dhabi hadn't purchased Manchester City, would all the political prisoners being held in the UAE now be free? If England had given the UAE and other Middle Eastern countries the cold shoulder in the past, would their subsequent pivot towards China and Russia have improved the human rights situations there?
Simply holding the position that you don't want such states to be involved in English football, with zero additional thought given to the wider context within which this viewpoint sits, is a completely closed-minded and morally indefensible position to hold. The way these situations improve is through dialogue and communication, through giving Qatar the World Cup then using this to push through the abolition of the kafala system.
It does not improve with stonewalling through the adoption of an us vs them attitude.
There's only one thing pathetic about your post mate :lol:

Manchester City have put together an incredible squad at a lower cost in transfer fees than Chelsea's and on a lower overall wage bill than both ourselves and Chelsea (and no, Manchester City's transfer fees/wages for this season are not part of the charges brought against them by the Premier League).

So pathetic, general fan rather than particular team and then calls ManUtd as "ourselves" when talking about wages.

Only thing more pathetic is, how ashamed you are to admit that you are City fan. Pretend as ManUtd fan to praise City

Are you one of those guys who puts nail polish on one hand and take a pic pretending that you are with a girl?

So pathetic, general fan rather than particular team and then calls ManUtd as "ourselves" when talking about wages.

Only thing more pathetic is, how ashamed you are to admit that you are City fan. Pretend as ManUtd fan to praise City

Are you one of those guys who puts nail polish on one hand and take a pic pretending that you are with a girl?
Oof. Serious burns

You would think Pep would try to be a bit more subtle with his first post :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still think they'll be relegated... Financial doping just shouldn't be a thing. It doesn't happen is US sports in the same way because they realise long term it damages the product a lot.

Football needs to sort it self out. It shouldn't be mainly an economic competition, need sort it at UEFA level as well as notionally. Need a team level salary cap, easy to enforce and will level the playing field financially to a large degree. Sort the structure out so all clubs accept it.
They will never get relegated. The PL don't have the balls to kick them out.

The salary cap just wouldn't work when we know City have been paying its employees two salaries. Nothing to stop Newcastle or others doing the same.

They will never get relegated. The PL don't have the balls to kick them out.

The salary cap just wouldn't work when we know City have been paying its employees two salaries. Nothing to stop Newcastle or others doing the same.

No one knows and that's not what they're being accused of. Just of inflating revenue.

Of course it can work. More so if you sanction (ban) players, managers as well as the club for rule breaks.

Ourselves?

That's not a thing. :lol:

Why is it taking so long for any action or conclusion?
Took the EPL 4 years to gather evidence, then announce 115 charges, then nothing?!
I’ve seen stories saying it could be 2027 before anything is done.
I can only imagine that City have had their lawyers shut it all down as best they can and that’s why it’s all gone quiet.
Speculation and hearsay is going to circle until this is resolved.
Surely it’s in everyone’s best interest to have this resolved quickly? Otherwise it is going to hang over the EPL like a big question mark for god knows how long.

You say you don't have an interest in any particular team, yet you're clearly a City fan. But I'll let you off because, judging by years of empty seats during games and empty streets during trophy celebrating bus runs, City fans in general don't have much interest in a particular team either.

The bit where Gray says that City been accused of cheating shouldn't detract from the players on the pitch, is basically what Shearer said on MOTD last night, but rather than been challenged on it like Keys did, Lineker just shrugged his shoulders and agreed.

It would have been pre planned Lineker mentioning it, so no idea why they bothered bringing it up if they were literally going to gloss over it the way they did.

The bit where Gray says that City been accused of cheating shouldn't detract from the players on the pitch, is basically what Shearer said on MOTD last night, but rather than been challenged on it like Keys did, Lineker just shrugged his shoulders and agreed.

It would have been pre planned Lineker mentioning it, so no idea why they bothered bringing it up if they were literally going to gloss over it the way they did.
Lineker is a Pep/City fanboy.