City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Not to mention that they're so dominant, and have made the league so boring, and yet they can still only manage 4th.

I also find it hard to believe that a club who routinely fail to fill their stadium are really selling that many shirts legitimately.

As you should, they're probably buying loads themselves. So they can justify the higher normal sponsorships they pay themselves. :confused:

I see the tradition of at least one person popping up every page to they'll get away with a slap on the wrist is alive and well.

Long may it continue

I see the tradition of at least one person popping up every page to they'll get away with a slap on the wrist is alive and well.

Long may it continue
It keeps the jinx going. Either that or it'll let them come in gleefully and say "I told you so, I'm so smart yay!" Which I now fully intend to do when City get off without any punishment.

It keeps the jinx going. Either that or it'll let them come in gleefully and say "I told you so, I'm so smart yay!" Which I now fully intend to do when City get off without any punishment.

:lol:

I think it's a coping mechanism just in case they do get off with it. As you say ''I knew this would happen, Football's gone''

I really hope so but I remember how they managed to squirm their way out of the UEFA punishment which is why I am in the pessimistic position about this.

They only got away with a lot of the UEFA charges because the evidence that prooved those offences was inadmissable due to being time barred, this time the evidence cant be time barred.

Well if you think so it has to be true.
A lad I know regularly speaks with those same papz that photo players around town and Alty. They get literally a few quid for City players but the good money and worthwhile shots are United players. People just aren’t arsed about such an insipid, dull club who are so desperate to be seen as one of the elite.

I really hope so but I remember how they managed to squirm their way out of the UEFA punishment which is why I am in the pessimistic position about this.
Don't forget in the appeal against UEFA's 2 year European football ban, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) only found in City's favour on balance of evidence AFTER first having to decide they must disallow several dodgy transactions as time barred that otherwise might have led to a totally different conclusion (basically a massive legal balls-up by UEFA). These transactions were the cornerstone of UEFA's case and so when they were disbarred the conclusion was inevitable.

City got off on a technicality but were so evasive with their own governing body's investigation that CAS DID still uphold a fine of 10m Euros for non-cooperation (quote from the CAS ruling):

"viii) The Panel is not comfortably satisfied (my emphasis inserted) that MCFC disguised equity funding...
ix) The Panel finds it appropriate that a fine of EUR 10,000,000 is imposed on MCFC"
(Page 90 Conclusion from CAS 2020/A/6785 Manchester City FC v UEFA)

Remember, this is all after your City also entered into an earlier settlement agreement with UEFA in 2014 to pay them EUR 60,000,000 (although 40m was eventually reimbursed for future compliance).

They have a demonstrable history of bending the rules to breaking point and I can't see any other outcome than a huge points deduction and / or demotion, given this track record.

I don't think they will get any punishment, they will overshadow they United legacy in next decade.

I’m normally in Singapore twice a year and I’m always struck by how many Everton shirts I see. Obviously United, Liverpool and Arsenal are the most - but then I’d say Everton and Chelsea are fighting for 4th most popular.

I saw one City shirt in 3 weeks the last time I was there, on a teenage girl. The thing about City shirts is they’re so rare that you remember every time you see one.
hmm
I do have friend who are Everton fans and I occasionally see one or two jerseys on the streets. But if we are talking strictly about English Clubs, I reckon Chelsea is fourth and Spurs would be fifth. That said, I think for some of the clubs like West Ham, they do have a group of fans here but they probably find it difficult to buy jerseys off the racks. Whereas for the big 4 clubs, you can see their shirts on sale everywhere, so it is easier for their fans to buy one.

:lol: Sure, which would make Arsenal’s insignificant

Chelsea already did that to us. City to United is what Chelsea is for Arsenal. We can sit here and debate how irrelevant all their titles are but at the end of the day if they get a clean chit it will all be valid trophies.

:lol: Sure, which would make Arsenal’s insignificant

Chelsea already did that to us. City to United is what Chelsea is for Arsenal. We can sit here and debate how irrelevant all their titles are but at the end of the day if they get a clean chit it will all be valid trophies.
To add, I always preferred United to win the titles instead of the plastic club Chelsea were. Despite the massive rivalry as I'd still rather back a club with heritage.

Chelsea were spending £240 million in 2000s, when even a £30 million buy was insane. They were simply lucky FFP wasn't a thing then but even then this is how they built their 'legacy'. A nothing club who had never won the league and who's only relevance was a few domestic trophies and an occasional top 4 run, the highlight being knocking us out of the CL. But now other than senile old middle age people like me noone remembers that this is how they did it. It will be the same with City. They're already 6 or so titles before they overhaul us and then another 6 year run and United's turn.

Unless they're punished. They won't have any title stripped off them. So I hope they're relegated but I know its a pipe dream.

I make you right here regarding Chelsea. The other point is that if they have their titles taken away , City fans have still had all those celebratory 'moments' that no fine, no points deduction and no relegation can ever take away. They've experienced that euphoria that footie fans live for. I'm West Ham and would love to have one of those moments once in my life time (the cup we won the other season doesn't count). I'd take an FA Cup win, followed by three relegations wihout question.

How can it be the point when even now, C.Ronaldo is accused of buying bots despite being the biggest name in the entirety of football? Same goes for already established performers in entertainment.

You are saying things that I don’t necessarily disagree with, but for you to seemingly believe there is just no way City could be doing this, it would strike me as incredibly naive. I don’t believe you’re that, so I lean on you wanting to believe in your club and that they are already there, as a giant, and thus have no need to cook anything anymore.

I’ve already put forward my own opinion in the post I brought to your attention. I’m highlighting why people are not outside the realm of probability to think something is afoot, and that it definitely isn’t a preposterous notion as you seem to think.

To answer your question as to why: the appearance of solid organic growth would be the why - some simply don’t buy that it is indeed organic, however.

PSG have an immense collaboration with Nike and Jordan that is driving them as one of the major fashion houses in the world. Their growth is almost purely down to that and not via their standing as a football team or club. People who couldn’t name a single PSG player are buying Jordan-branded items that so happen to also have PSG on them; if Nike and Jordan collaborated with City and produced the same pieces, nobody could question City because the coattails of Jordan could carry any club. That was a masterful coup from PSG.
I should elaborate, I don't think theres like 0% chance but I don't see why or how current day City would need to do such a thing anymore than any other club. But the need for such is tiny especially when shirt sales are such a small part of commercial income. Clubs gets about 10% of the cost of the shirts (a quick google says anything from 7.5-15%), so shirts are £60 but they aren't everywhere with regional pricing so lets say £40. Thats £40m which City get about £4m from. It just wouldn't be work it. And even £40 is pushing the average price I'd guess.

Last edited:
A lad I know regularly speaks with those same papz that photo players around town and Alty. They get literally a few quid for City players but the good money and worthwhile shots are United players. People just aren’t arsed about such an insipid, dull club who are so desperate to be seen as one of the elite.
Good to know, I'm sure the world cares more about Rashford than Haaland.

I think at worst for City it will be a multi year point deduction and fine. Premier League is not going to kill off a top selling brand. Man City sells the fourth most kits worldwide.

Liverpool 1.81 million units
Man United 1.8 million units
Chelsea 1.4 million units
Man City 1.1 million units

Or… the four biggest teams in the PL sell most shirts?

City can be traded out for Spurs or Villa. Especially if they were given a decade of cheating to become even bigger.

Also; “Let’s protect capitalism” isn’t really a convincing one.

All gained by cheating.
You really expect us to think that you sell more shirts than Arsenal?

Edit: Changed the last bit as it sounded vitriolic and personal.
Didn't see the last bit but its cool. The cheating thing doesn't matter for shirt sales. I've posted my opinion on the charges at least 600 times in this thread, so posts like "All by cheating" are about as much a gotcha as calling me a wanker.
But regardless of how it was achieved you guys fail to see what right in front of your faces. Its not 2014 anymore, multiple people in this thread have stated when they're honest seeing a big increase in City shirts.

But to explain why its very possible:
1 - Arsenal have been in the wilderness for a few years while City have been hoovering up trophies and signed some superstars
2 - City have one of the biggest names in football and kids these days and social media clowns like Speed follow players not clubs, horrible trend but it is what it is. Person doesn't have to be a City fan to buy a Haaland shirt.
3 - I said the figures posted were debatable and its quite possible Arsenal sell more given that there are various sources with various numbers multiple times in this thread with City coming anywhere from 4th to 6th.

PSG also sell more shirts than Arsenal to for what its worth. Now Arsenal are back to the top, I'd fully expect them to outsell City. Look at Liverpools trajectory since they bounced back.

Curious though how did Chelsea become a bigger shirt seller than Arsenal? I'd like you opinion on how that came to be, cause I have a feeling it was signing bigger players and winning more trophies over a period of a decade.
There are lots of kids and teens now who have grown up in an era of absolute City dominance (oblivious or not caring how it was achieved) not seen since United golden era.

edit: Apologies to anyone else whose post I missed I woke up to a lot of notifications this morning.

They only got away with a lot of the UEFA charges because the evidence that prooved those offences was inadmissable due to being time barred, this time the evidence cant be time barred.

you have proof this won't be time barred, as Premier League Rules are, in fact, expressly stated to be construed in accordance with English law which, with the usual nuance of statute of limitations debates, will impute a six-year time bar.

Or… the four biggest teams in the PL sell most shirts?

City can be traded out for Spurs or Villa. Especially if they were given a decade of cheating to become even bigger.

Also; “Let’s protect capitalism” isn’t really a convincing one.

The 4 clubs with the biggest fanbases tend to sell the most shirts, it isn't explicitly linked to success. Leeds still sells a ton of shirts for where they are.

I went on holiday to Mallorca last month and was shocked how many kids where wearing City kits and how little United ones I saw. Although probably all fake ones!

The 4 clubs with the biggest fanbases tend to sell the most shirts, it isn't explicitly linked to success. Leeds still sells a ton of shirts for where they are.

That’s patently untrue. Chelsea are there in response to Ambromovich’s cash injection and resulting success. Just as with City. They didn’t have a massive fan base before then. They had a strong and committed one. But it was barely National, let alone global.

Arsenal, Liverpool and United are there due to historic constant success with periods in and out of the success. Decades of seeding fandom across the land, across generations, then wider global support in the PL era as it became the most exported league through tv deals.

Thousands of children now support City as they’re popular as they’re winning. They’ve had a decade at it. It happened for United, Arsenal and Liverpool as I was growing up. It’s parents or proximity or success. Those are the three routes into support.

Increasingly, children in the digital era sees proximity become irrelevant. Every club is close if you’re never going to go to the ground. Fame and success is now far bigger too. See the number of Al Whatever Ronaldo shirts. Or Inter Miami shirts about.

It’s also true that parental club following is on the wane. It’s hard for a 35 year old Pompey fan living in London to get his 8 year old to relate to an FA Cup win, with them in the EFL/Championship when the entirety of the internet is pushing City at him.

City aren’t selling shirts as they have the fourth biggest fan base. The nature of footballs fickle fandom is that when your team isn’t doing so well, fans stop buying shirts in large volumes.

I think at worst for City it will be a multi year point deduction and fine. Premier League is not going to kill off a top selling brand. Man City sells the fourth most kits worldwide.

I find it interesting that they sell that many kits they’ve never been a club with a huge following

The PL is 100% going after City with probably 19 other clubs behind them doing so.

The only thing that’s always in my mind is how close Abu Dhabi is with the UK government they probably have some sort of pull even at the highest levels

How the feck does each City fan have 275k kits each?

I find it interesting that they sell that many kits they’ve never been a club with a huge following

The PL is 100% going after City with probably 19 other clubs behind them doing so.

The only thing that’s always in my mind is how close Abu Dhabi is with the UK government they probably have some sort of pull even at the highest levels

I see lots of kids wearing City shirts here, much the same way that lots of kids here grew up supporting Chelsea in the 00's, United/Arsenal in the 90s and Liverpool before that.

Unfortunately, the younger generation usually attach to the best team around.

700k of those go to a guy called Sheikh Super real City Fan

a points deduction wouldn’t do anything.. they win nearly every game anyway, and so what if they miss out on the league for one year? They’ll only win it again next year anyway.. If they are found guilty, I think a transfer ban for 3 or 4 seasons would be more appropriate, something like that anyway

a points deduction wouldn’t do anything.. they win nearly every game anyway, and so what if they miss out on the league for one year? They’ll only win it again next year anyway.. If they are found guilty, I think a transfer ban for 3 or 4 seasons would be more appropriate, something like that anyway

Depends on how many points are deducted. Make it 70 and it becomes very interesting.

Interesting, I think this could be a bit out of date. Units sold and revenue are not the same but UEFA released a financial report a few months ago that included revenue from kit sales for top 30 clubs. City (73m euro) were 6th in the PL, just behind Spurs (74m) and well behind the other four.