City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Would never happen. You just have to read today's article on BBC football and the paragraph about how City being found guilty could cause damage to the relationship between GB and UAE. Which would be significant due to the amount UAE invest in this country and have serious repercussions
I always wonder how much the UAE invests in this country and what impact that actually has on people's everyday lives. At the very least I don't see how them partially buying out companies does much for the average nobody like me.

Unless officials at the league are getting little brown bags of cash I don't see why they would be bothered by the threat of lost investment in the country.

So the UAE would risk damaging their relationship with the UK over their football club getting punished for cheating?

A football club I might add that officially the UAE doesn't even own.
Yeah, but when do Citeh practice 'official business'.
Everything hidden and under the table.

I always wonder how much the UAE invests in this country and what impact that actually has on people's everyday lives. At the very least I don't see how them partially buying out companies does much for the average nobody like me.

Unless officials at the league are getting little brown bags of cash I don't see why they would be bothered by the threat of lost investment in the country.
We sell a lot of arms to them and buy a lot of gas so pissing them off might have some consequences but that shouldn't be of any concern to the PL

So the UAE would risk damaging their relationship with the UK over their football club getting punished for cheating?

A football club I might add that officially the UAE doesn't even own.
I think you’re misunderstanding how they operate. They don’t negotiate. They hold all the power and they make the demands, they won’t care one bit about upsetting the UK government when they throw their toys out the pram and make their demands.

We sell a lot of arms to them and buy a lot of gas so pissing them off might have some consequences but that shouldn't be of any concern to the PL
Yeah, I just don't see the PL really caring much. Either their league loses it's competitive edge, or the UAE get upset and the UK government get angry. At which point...the government do what? Try and bully one of the biggest industries that we still have left in the country?

Obviously there's every chance that I'm an eejit who is missing something obvious, or I'm just deluding myself into thinking that the world is somehow fair. But maybe this time will be different?

I think you’re misunderstanding how they operate. They don’t negotiate. They hold all the power and they make the demands, they won’t care one bit about upsetting the UK government when they throw their toys out the pram and make their demands.

Genuine question, do they?

I doubt they'd care about upsetting the UK government. But then I also doubt the UK government would give much of a feck if they're upset about a footbal club getting punished either. Well at least care enough to interfere with an ongoing case about the biggest cheating scandal in the history of English football.

And as far as I'm aware were the UK government were to interfere in the case, wouldn't that fall foul of FIFA's rules about government interference?

Yeah, I just don't see the PL really caring much. Either their league loses it's competitive edge, or the UAE get upset and the UK government get angry. At which point...the government do what? Try and bully one of the biggest industries that we still have left in the country?

Obviously there's every chance that I'm an eejit who is missing something obvious, or I'm just deluding myself into thinking that the world is somehow fair. But maybe this time will be different?
Well the PL shouldn't care but if the Government, who probably should care, lean on them then who knows, there's a football regulator coming that the Government introduced and can can probably influence, said regulator might then be inclined to do stuff that the PL wouldn't necessarily like - guess we'll find out soon enough

Still don't understand why people keep mentioning relegation as a possible punishment.

The PL authorities cannot just relegate them. They can only issue a points deduction that makes avoiding relegation impossible or expel them from the PL, at which point they would have to apply to the football league for membership. The football league would then decide which level of the pyramid they would enter at, if at all.

City and all their players and staff should be suspended from all footballing activities until the hearing is completed.
Bit harsh on the players.

Genuine question, do they?

I doubt they'd care about upsetting the UK government. But then I also doubt the UK government would give much of a feck if they're upset about a footbal club getting punished either. Well at least care enough to interfere with an ongoing case about the biggest cheating scandal in the history of English football.

And as far as I'm aware were the UK government were to interfere in the case, wouldn't that fall foul of FIFA's rules about government interference?
They’ve got a feck tonne of money which our government wants them to invest in the UK and they’d be just as happy investing that anywhere else in the world. Then there’s all their exports which I can guarantee the UK is more desperate to purchase than they are to sell to the UK. Of course they hold the power, what leverage do we have over them?

Has been discussed in here before but I’d be very surprised if the PL don’t have it in their power to expel a side from their league.
Pretty sure they have rules about size of ground etc before a club can get promoted so playing in that league isn’t a “right”.
I believe expulsion is the only appropriate outcome. For a period of some years as well.
90 points deduction for 3 consecutive seasons in the PL. So every time they get up, they get down again.

To be honest I am expecting nothing at all to happen to city, bar a fine and a rap on the knuckles about future behaviour. They have enough money and power to totally blow the PL and UEFA, FIFA out of site. Welcome to UK 2024, money buys you justice.

90 points deduction for 3 consecutive seasons in the PL. So every time they get up, they get down again.
No I don’t think that is enough.
They should be kicked out for 5 years. They just shouldn’t be allowed in.
Let the FA work out where to put them.

The only right and just decision is that the owners are deemed “not fit and proper” and ordered to sell the club.

The only right and just decision is that the owners are deemed “not fit and proper” and ordered to sell the club.
i didn’t even realise this was possible until they did it to Abramovich. Now I don’t see why they couldn’t do it to a handful of others.

The only part that needs to be fit and proper is the depth of the owner's pockets. Everything else is a sham. Imagine the PL recognizing City to be guilty of cheating 150 times but still classifiy their owners as "fit and proper". The Newcastle takeover and all the noise about the PL veting process showed us that it didn't really matter.

They should be removed from the Premier League, and banned for at least an equal length of time as is covered by the charges.

It's then up to the Football League to decide if they want them, and if so, in what division and under what conditions.

If they don't, they can ask the National League, and so on.

I can't see it happening though. They've become too well known as a brand (even if they haven't caught up to us) and there will be people who don't want to risk weakening the league by ejecting it's biggest player of the last decade.

i didn’t even realise this was possible until they did it to Abramovich. Now I don’t see why they couldn’t do it to a handful of others.

Why they didn't do it with Malcolm Glazer is still baffling. No way he should have been allowed to carry out a leveraged buyout; something that was illegal in the NFL.

Why they didn't do it with Malcolm Glazer is still baffling. No way he should have been allowed to carry out a leveraged buyout; something that was illegal in the NFL.

I'm fairly sure that type of leveraged buy out is banned in the Premier League now too.

They’ve got a feck tonne of money which our government wants them to invest in the UK and they’d be just as happy investing that anywhere else in the world. Then there’s all their exports which I can guarantee the UK is more desperate to purchase than they are to sell to the UK. Of course they hold the power, what leverage do we have over them?

No idea, but arent we're making a lot of assumptions here about what the governments of Abu Dhabi and UK will and won't do in response to a football team being punished for cheating?

No idea, but arent we're making a lot of assumptions here about what the governments of Abu Dhabi and UK will and won't do in response to a football team being punished for cheating?
Nah goes deeper than that. It used to be like that until city were allowed to be used as political vehicle and our gov were desperate.

Some high level conversations will happen Nd things will suddenly go quiet or there will be a unique loophole.

Nah goes deeper than that. It used to be like that until city were allowed to be used as political vehicle and our gov were desperate.

Some high level conversations will happen Nd things will suddenly go quiet or there will be a unique loophole.

If that happens then the PL as a competition would be done. City's cheating would go into overdrive they wouldn't even bother hiding it any more.

So let's see what actually happens.

If that happens then the PL as a competition would be done. City's cheating would go into overdrive they wouldn't even bother hiding it any more.

So let's see what actually happens.
It's already a joke of a competition

There's quite a few angles to it, but it's well known that the UK gov was involved in making sure that the Saudi takeover of Newcastle went through, and it's well known that the charges against Manchester City is a topic at a government level. Also, i wouldn't look at it in terms of how much they've actually invested in the country, rather where and who has something to lose, like politicians suddenly ending up with board seats etc. I think there's going to be quite a few people thinking about their own situation and trying to make sure they remain where they are by keeping someone else happy. Maybe the latter is far fetched, i suppose it's just a deduction in relation to what we know about the Saudi - Newcastle deal and the charge against Manchester City being a topic, but i think it's miles away from having to be a conspiracy nutjob in order to be concerned about things happening in the background.

You can argue that the PL has little choice but to punish Manchester City hard, as anything else is an open invite for teams like Newcastle to do the same. Unless i've completely misunderstood something, it's not like they can change the rules without having enough clubs voting for it, and we all know there's quite a few teams happy to vote No to closing any loopholes..Just like the PL is one of your biggest industries it's essentially a product, that product is likely to take a PR hit if Manchester City are found guilty, a PR hit means $. The PL being a bit of a joke of a competition in terms of it's competitive edge is a small price to pay to avoid a potentially very expensive PR crisis.

I'd love to be wrong, but it wouldn't really surprise me if they are cleared of any wrongdoings apart from the co-op bit, for which they are handed a record fine + suspended point deduction.

I dont believe this idea that the UK wont want to 'risk' its relationahip with the UAE. Its the UAE FFS, not America, France or Germany. Since when was relations with some tin pot Middle Eastern country grounds for looking the other way when they do corruption in the UK? Its the UAE who risked the relationship by poisoning the biggest cultural phenomena in the UK which is league football. The fact they felt they have the right to act so improper as a guest in the country is grounds for closing down their embassy.

Since when did the UK bow down to the UAE? The economy of London is bigger than this petrostate

He's such a prick. I hope that smug grin is wiped off his face at the end of the month. Although it'll be replaced by a picture of innocence and he'll claim it's all news to him.

Harsh opinion of Tebas. Far right lunatic, racist, scumbag? Sure. Single handedly took La Liga from most power league in the world to a one club league no one cares about? Sure. But you go too far when you call him a prick and talk about his beautiful smirk.

Pep Guardiola: “Premier League rivals want to see us punished.”

Yeah imagine that eh? How petty of THEM to want to see you punished for literally years of cheating. Clown!

Well if you are expecting the harshest punishments possible uncluding some that might not be within the power of the PL to hand out. Then yes you should be very sceptical for that outcome.
Fit and proper ownership assessments and points deductions are certainly precedented. As are revoked titles when clubs have been caught cheating in other European leagues.

What do you expect the outcome to be? What outcome do you want?