City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

“City are also arguing the league’s democratic system of requiring at least 14 clubs, or two-thirds of those who vote, to implement rule changes should be abolished to guard against decisions being made by 'the tyranny of the majority'."

How ironic to argue against tyranny of any kind but especially against the pesky majority :lol:

The tyranny of democracy?

:confused:

This will last for years and years. All part of the plan. Meanwhile in that time they can carry on doing what they're doing and winning trophies.

Not if there's monumental pressure coming from the majority of clubs in the league, aside from Newcastle. I can see this really blowing up now if PL don't act

Not if there's monumental pressure coming from the majority of clubs in the league, aside from Newcastle. I can see this really blowing up now if PL don't act

It won't be anything the PL can stop though. The legal processes for all of this will last literally years and years. Then even if/when there is eventually any verdict there will be appeal after appeal. Honestly, I don't actually see a proper resolution to this for probably a decade.

If they win then the European Super League is back on the menu and would probably be the lesser of two evils.

If you're going to monopolise success and make it meaningless, might as well chuck all the big teams into the same pot and just let them get on with it.

Threatening to cut funding to their community projects and increase ticket prices in protest is absolutely grim.

All those city fans that refused to question anything their owners did are in for a treat.

Surely there can't be a single sane person left who believes city are anything but a sportswashing, pr exercise for the middle East by now. Like just how many times can you bury your head in the sand or twist yourself in knots justifying just how abnormal this club is.

This should never ever have been allowed to happen and all the useful idiots like the ones on here for years have played their small part in upholding it.

They simply ruined English football at top level and are intent on burning it down with themselves
As far as sportwashing attempts go it's an impressively bad one. First they buy a club with some of the smarmiest twats in the world supporting them, then they cheat, then they bully the authorities when they can't just simply waltz into a foreign league and dictate terms.

If the only option other than letting City get away with it is to completely torch the league then so be it. We saw what happened when they won the treble; nobody really gave a shit. Hell, their dozens and dozens of fans worldwide didn't care much either. Imagine that every year, on and on, with their only real competitor being Newcastle. Folk thought football was boring when we were hoovering up trophies, or when Liverpool were top? Well grab a pillow and some hot chocolate because you ain't seen nothing yet.

Something needs to give before yet more clubs join the "City Group" and, before you know it, the Champions League will just be filled with nothing but clubs using that same shite badge template.

Honestly, I'd boot them just for the 'tyranny of the majority' line. Every smaller club has to see that as a threat.

Why should the lower leagues get punished by having to take this shower of shite into the fold? They should be kicked out of the English football pyramid completely. Feck off to Abu Dhabi and play there, they can have as many sponsorships as they want.
And then let the real City fans form their own phoenix club a la AFC Wimbledon and work their way back up the pyramid. I imagine they’ll hit their peak at League One/Two in a decade or so.

Interesting the article said the date is Nov for the 115 charges?

I’d take this as a good sign to be honest. There’s no way they can defend the valuations (especially early on when they did the £400m sponsor deal which made them supposedly more valuable than almost every club) so they are going to try and get that law scrapped. Although, surely even if it is scrapped they still signed up and broke the rule at the time?

If things went differently last year, I’d be in this thread now listening to people justifying this.

City are horrible. Last year was so important for our club.

If things went differently last year, I’d be in this thread now listening to people justifying this.

Remind me what laws we broke or would need to break under state ownership?

This is end game shit from city

I suspect they've caught wind a relegation is on the cards so trying to force a trade off

PL has to stand firm, the whole make up of the league depends on clubs abiding by the agreed regulations. If they bend those for one club, especially a club which has clearly thumbed it's nose at its authority for the best part of 10 years it'll collapse. The big boys will be off to the super league and taking their TV rights packages with them

The tyranny of the majority….

tell me you’re not from a democracy, without telling me you’re not from a democracy. Mindblowing :wenger:

City need to realise that nobody cares about them. They aren't a juggernaut club and need to stop trying, they suddenly think they're the Madrid of England and Khaldoon thinks he's Perez. They don't have that clout. If they disappear outside of half of Stockport no one will care.

I hear you. State ownership would have probably been a complete deal breaker for me.

Football in this country is well and truly fked if city win this case. But I really don't see it happening. You can't just decide you don't like the rules you signed up to. It simply doesn't work like that, no matter how much you pay you legal team.

From City's point of view, they are clearly trying one last shot because they know the november hearing will go against them. And I'd imagine some of their key players are already eyeing the exits.

City need to realise that nobody cares about them. They aren't a juggernaut club and need to stop trying, they suddenly think they're the Madrid of England and Khaldoon thinks he's Perez. They don't have that clout. If they disappear outside of half of Stockport no one will care.
I’d be over the moon.

Football in this country is well and truly fked if city win this case. But I really don't see it happening. You can't just decide you don't like the rules you signed up to. It simply doesn't work like that, no matter how much you pay you legal team.

From City's point of view, they are clearly trying one last shot because they know the november hearing will go against them. And I'd imagine some of their key players are already eyeing the exits.
De Bruyne is already openly talking about going to Saudi Arabia. Writing's on the wall.

If they win it'll probably end up with City and Newcastle the top 2 in the Premier League and in the final of the Champions League every year as no one will be able to match their spending.

If they win it'll probably end up with City and Newcastle the top 2 in the Premier League and in the final of the Champions League every year as no one will be able to match their spending.

Clearly that's what they want. But the PL hold the aces here.

Saudi tried to buy football last summer and it clearly hasn't worked. They need the PL far more than the PL needs these oil states.

It's the feckin cheek that they have trying to justify it as fighting against the cartel and how we're limiting free spending.

As if they give a shit that the rest of the non state sponsored clubs could actually run into massive losses and even end up out of business trying to keep up in a glorified arms race.

I'd have a tiny bit more respect if they just owned it and said 'We're rich, we want to spend our money how we want and feck the rest of you's', rather than dress it up as some moral crusade for the good of football!

I'd say with the links of Pep leaving, Berrada jumping ship it doesn't look good for them.

De Bruyne is already openly talking about going to Saudi Arabia. Writing's on the wall.
1) City threaten to sue the PL
2) PL buckles under pressure and exonerates City
3) PL announces that new rules around sponsors will come into effect immediately for 24/25 season
4) Newcastle announce £10 Billion sponsorship deal with "The Wey Aye Man from Jazan"
5) Newcastle poach all of City's best players, starting with De Bruyne.

It's the feckin cheek that they have trying to justify it as fighting against the cartel and how we're limiting free spending.

As if they give a shit that the rest of the non state sponsored clubs could actually run into massive losses and even end up out of business trying to keep up in a glorified arms race.

I'd have a tiny bit more respect if they just owned it and said 'We're rich, we want to spend our money how we want and feck the rest of you's', rather than dress it up as some moral crusade for the good of football!

That doesn't sound like a very good legal argument for a Competition Act claim.