City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

They could easily afford that though. The punishment has to be more than financial.

I agree that the punishment needs to be more than financial but that level of fine/payout would still be significant as a supplemental consequence, as it would restrict their spending in the near-future under PSR rules. MCFC the entity would have to pay that out for book purposes, not their owners.

I agree that the punishment needs to be more than financial but that level of fine/payout would still be significant as a supplemental consequence, as it would restrict their spending in the near-future under PSR rules. MCFC the entity would have to pay that out for book purposes, not their owners.

:lol:

The UK government recently blocked an attempt from a Shiekh Mansoor backed UAE group from buying one of the UK's biggest media outlets so im not sure they would be pressured in to getting involved in this over threats of then withdrawing investment.
There is an election looming. Labour are perceived to be more on the side of fans; focus groups show there are votes associated with football, not just for foreign oligarchs, but for regional representatives. That’s why JR is advocating a Wembley of the North. It’s putting pressure on a political pain point.

Could be that bellend Keys has given others confidence to actually speak up on the matter.

It's also interesting that given the historic possibility of a 4th consecutive title, there's not that much noise around it all things considered. Almost as it there's a sense of nervousness from City.
Good post that sums up the mood music today. The Guardian, the Athletic and contributors to a number of other media outlets either addressing it directly or angling in the direction of sportswashing, artificial competition, lack of jeopardy, etc. I hear that there is discussion in political circles about legislation etc, and concern that City winning next year is inevitable if unsanctioned. One way or another, this is coming to a head.

The only real deterrent against cheating for state-backed clubs is to take their success away from them, which means voiding their titles and trophies. That’s the difference between normal clubs and state-backed, a £350m fine is a slap on the wrist to City Group whereas it would leave other clubs in ruin.

Would you care as much if it was a globetrotter team? Assembled from all the best clubs to go on parade as the best of the best? Or do you care because it's your club benefitting?
I am not a City fan. Feck City. Send them to the national league for all I care.
Madrid had tried that model with the Galactico era and it was fair on Osasuna and Deportivon Alaves because it was "organic" money..yea yea...

I am not a City fan. Feck City. Send them to the national league for all I care.
Madrid had tried that model with the Galactico era and it was fair on Osasuna and Deportivon Alaves because it was "organic" money..yea yea...

Organic, earned, local businessman (cough) instead of foreign sheikh

Rules are rules though. There were none when Chelsea and Madrid did what they did so it is fine. And if City are found guilty they can't complain of any punishment meted out, they knew the risks.

Anyways, Oliver Kay has a really good article in the Athletic on the topic

Honestly, without sounding too hyperbolic, if the PL don't deal with this how it should be dealt with it could be the beginning of the end of the league.

The Super League starts to look more and more appealing.

The only real deterrent against cheating for state-backed clubs is to take their success away from them, which means voiding their titles and trophies. That’s the difference between normal clubs and state-backed, a £350m fine is a slap on the wrist to City Group whereas it would leave other clubs in ruin.

Yeah certainly is but just don't see them ever being stripped of their titles like Armstrong was

Yeah certainly is but just don't see them ever being stripped of their titles like Armstrong was

It’s the only actual punishment that can be given that would send a message to these entities that cheating won’t be tolerated. But yeah, it’s not going to happen.

Honestly, without sounding too hyperbolic, if the PL don't deal with this how it should be dealt with it could be the beginning of the end of the league.

Perez might actually be Thanos, after all.

Organic, earned, local businessman (cough) instead of foreign sheikh

Rules are rules though. There were none when Chelsea and Madrid did what they did so it is fine. And if City are found guilty they can't complain of any punishment meted out, they knew the risks.

Anyways, Oliver Kay has a really good article in the Athletic on the topic
That Oliver Kay article had some relevant points.

But in an attempt to sit in the fence it did not acknowledge that the whole Manchester City football team is built on cheating. Even if you enjoy watching their style of play, it is disingenuous to not associate those quality players with the charges of cheating. They paid for those players using inflated sponsorships and have done for years.

Allegedly. :)

I'd happily see City, Barca and a few others feck off into a Super League to be honest. Let them be independent cheats away from the proper game.

City should get punished and I hope do get significant punishment, but I care about what the players have achieved on the pitch. Regardless of how that group of players came about. Those players care about the success they have achieved over the years.
That’s literally like saying no one can change your mind that Lance Armstrong was the most naturally gifted cyclist ever?

That Oliver Kay article had some relevant points.

But in an attempt to sit in the fence it did not acknowledge that the whole Manchester City football team is built on cheating. Even if you enjoy watching their style of play, it is disingenuous to not associate those quality players with the charges of cheating. They paid for those players using inflated sponsorships and have done for years.

Allegedly. :)

Oh they are, no question (allegedly, hehe). They would not be where they are today and in 2018 (where the charges end for now) without external funding.

The PL does have to prove it though.

And I think Kay's point is that the idea of financial cheating is more abstract than directly doping players on the pitch; I know the comparison is hated on here but United and Chelsea should be much, much better if it was only about money, and that there is a level of sporting competence that they've built (enabled by that money) that is distinct, according to Kay, from the money. It's no wonder that Sir Jim poached Omar from them and is trying to replicate their structure on this end.

Now of course, it's personal choice whether you choose to separate the two or not, when it comes to City.

Completely agree with you, if as rumoured by that City twitter thing they are found not guilty them could definitely see the Super League coming up again

It’s the only actual punishment that can be given that would send a message to these entities that cheating won’t be tolerated. But yeah, it’s not going to happen.

Yeah we need a scaremongering tactic

There is an election looming. Labour are perceived to be more on the side of fans; focus groups show there are votes associated with football, not just for foreign oligarchs, but for regional representatives. That’s why JR is advocating a Wembley of the North. It’s putting pressure on a political pain point.
Keir should go into full dictator mode, and stand in front of the Emirates shouting about how Arsenal's main challengers for the league are being banned to the Scottish 5th division. In full kit wanker attire, no less.

Keir should go into full dictator mode, and stand in front of the Emirates shouting about how Arsenal's main challengers for the league are being banned to the Scottish 5th division. In full kit wanker attire, no less.
:) sounds legit, Pigeon.

I think the most telling shift is Barney Ronay in his Klopp tribute straight out saying It…
“Chuck in the fact they’re also facing 115 Premier League financial charges…”

Oh they are, no question (allegedly, hehe). They would not be where they are today and in 2018 (where the charges end for now) without external funding.

The PL does have to prove it though.

And I think Kay's point is that the idea of financial cheating is more abstract than directly doping players on the pitch; I know the comparison is hated on here but United and Chelsea should be much, much better if it was only about money, and that there is a level of sporting competence that they've built (enabled by that money) that is distinct, according to Kay, from the money. It's no wonder that Sir Jim poached Omar from them and is trying to replicate their structure on this end.

Now of course, it's personal choice whether you choose to separate the two or not, when it comes to City.
Of course you need a good structure and processes to be successful. But when some of the accusations are for under the table paying off players and/or ex managers, then the true total amount of City spend would not be known. Which is why Peps recent comments were absolute rubbish.

If you have "unlimited" funds then mistakes don't matter, just add another zero to the sponsorship list and go again.

Of course you need a good structure and processes to be successful. But when some of the accusations are for under the table paying off players and/or ex managers, then the true total amount of City spend would not be known. Which is why Peps recent comments were absolute rubbish.

If you have "unlimited" funds then mistakes don't matter, just add another zero to the sponsorship list and go again.

And let’s be fair, they also bought that structure and competence. It’s not just the first team they’ve sunk billions into.

Yeah they could afford to keep buying defenders until Guardiola dropped on the right ones

Everyone purring over them in the media too. Sky are a bunch of fecking wankers. Every one of them were crying about the potential of a super league and pushing the propaganda that it would kill the sport for fans.

All the while everything’s more than ok in the PL. Nobody bringing the game into disrepute here. No refs getting paid by owners of clubs in the league. Every club that breaks the rules are quickly punished with deductions.

Everyone purring over them in the media too. Sky are a bunch of fecking wankers. Every one of them were crying about the potential of a super league and pushing the propaganda that it would kill the sport for fans.

All the while everything’s more than ok in the PL. Nobody bringing the game into disrepute here. No refs getting paid by owners of clubs in the league. Every club that breaks the rules are quickly punished with deductions.
They did mention the 115 in build up surprisingly.

it is simply head spinning that this charade is happening again to finish a season. Everybody supposed to ignore the decades long, orchestrated campaign of cheating :lol: we will either look back from the point of view of a redeemed sport, or more likely, a sport that is completely unrecognisable, and see these recent years as an appalling episode of complacecy, conspiracy and greed, that very clearly was the death of the premier league. It is obscene that anybody is talking about anything else.

Now they’ve done the treble and completed four in a row in the space of a year, it’s time the cnuts are brought down before people lose interest in the PL or the super league shite pops up again.

Funny. I'm on a rewatch of South Park and the jokes they made about New England Patriots cheating scandal rung really true about City