City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

It's not just on youth players either.

Remember when they signed Eliaquim Mangala and he flopped, they just immediately replace him because they don't worry about the financial consequences. It's a similar story with Benjamin Mendy, João Cancelo and Kalvin Phillips. There's no jeopardy with their signings. It doesn't matter if they flop, get a bad injury, or do something in their personal life, City's years and years of cheating means that they just dump players and replace them.

Yeah and those years of cheating allow them to be the only club in this league with bench quality to match the starting XI. Their options against Spurs would be regulars for most teams in the league.

I take your broader point, but these seemingly monstrous sporting achievements didn't come without massive assistance from the refs. There've been quite a few games in which they've been bailed out some ridiculous refereeing decisions. With them winning the title by very close margins in 3 recent seasons (including this one), that's easily been the difference between them and Liverpool/Arsenal.

Now THIS is an excellent point: how much does a Micheal Oliver cost anyway?

I wonder how this would have played out if the Premier League took a more hardened stance to begin with.

Still refusing to provide the Premier League with the information requested three years down the line? No problem, until you comply (and you’ve had fair opportunity) then you won’t be competing in the Premier League. We’d soon see how quickly they miraculously want to go to court where everything is then under a spotlight.

I can’t imagine there’s a single team in the league except City who wouldn’t approve it.

Premier League are cowards who haven't got the guts to demand City provide the information requested

Premier League are cowards who haven't got the guts to demand City provide the information requested

Yes. The premier league has a part to play too.
Those non compliances started years ago but no action or sanction has been taken. They just continue to let City get their way , win all the titles and spoiling the competition of the league. Depriving other teams that follow the rules the chance for more titles or europe spots which can have a great impact to some teams that can improve with better fundings from these competitions.
I just feel it has gone too far ahead and now they are scared to pull the plug entirely on City (not withstanding the possible political influence they may have through the investments in Uk from their state owners).
If Arsenal don't get the title this season, they must have felt hard done since they could have a double if not for City. Though I won't have sympathy for Arteta who was from City and played a part in the whole scheme. Probably what we call tasting your own medicine.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
Whether or not they are guilty will be decided in court and the punishment, if warranted, can be delivered at that time.
In the meantime I think the PL should not allow them to accrue any further points until the requested information is produced. I know it's a bit late for this season but I think the documents would come forward pretty quickly with this approach.

Listen to the fake attempts by Pep to contrive jeopardy and competition. Their owners, if cheating can be shown, should be permanently barred. The effects are already distorting the game. The vibe at Spurs/Abu Dhabi was reported to be surreal. United, Arsenal and Liverpool have all been denied titles that are rightfully theirs, if these charges stick.

There HAS to be a backlash from fans and clubs if City aren’t dealt with.
You can’t just have one club allowed to play with completely different rules.

He’s spot on for once.

I don’t know how anyone can listen to those charges being read out and think ‘nah, that can’t be true’.

Agreed. Never thought i'd agree with Richard blood Keys, but finally someone from the media dares to speak about these charges instead of wanking themselves silly over this City all the time, like Sky.

Heard it mentioned once that the UAE have HUGE investments in the UK and have pressured the UK government to make this go away, or those investments will go elsewhere. Therefore the UK gov have been pressuring the PL/FA to let it go. All allegedly of course :nervous:

Wouldnt be surprised if they got off with a slap on the wrists. (if its true theres 'powers that be' looking after them)

How come this takes so long without any consequences. Looks like the PL would rather keep this under the table but it is hurting the whole league. No idea why other clubs dont put more pressure on them.
So we have City lifting the trophy on the weekend, while cheating for so many years. This is a joke and the PL should be ashamed

Heard it mentioned once that the UAE have HUGE investments in the UK and have pressured the UK government to make this go away, or those investments will go elsewhere. Therefore the UK gov have been pressuring the PL/FA to let it go. All allegedly of course :nervous:

Wouldnt be surprised if they got off with a slap on the wrists. (if its true theres 'powers that be' looking after them)
Why would the UAE set fire to all it's investments in the UK just because City have been charged? Something like 30%+ of the money coming in from foreign investments is UEA/Qatar. That would make zero business sense.

Yeah, it is certainly true there is a a lot of UAE money in the UK. I'd not be surprised on bit if that isn't playing a large part here. That is why it's really important that if (when) the PL drop the ball on this there is a huge fan and club led outcry against it. It needs politicians, the PL and anyone else involved forced into discussing it in the open and outside of the smoke filled backrooms where the money likely having an influence.

The European Super League was dumped largely due to the massive outrage at grass roots level. State ownership, and City, may well need the same treatment. The only worry I have is that there isn't strong enough feeling about it & that the PL and UAE are quite possibly negotiating a 'fair' but meaningless punishment that will allow them to say "see we did something" to try and placate those not that heavily involved and quash the rest.

Why would the UAE set fire to all it's investments in the UK just because City have been charged? Something like 30%+ of the money coming in from foreign investments is UEA/Qatar. That would make zero business sense.

No way they would get rid of all the investments. Highly doubt that. Maybe a couple where it matters for upcoming projects etc. But they have so much money, removing a % of ones elsewhere, which could be a hit to the UK, would be pocket change to them.

But like i said, its just another story flying about, about the back story of it. Couldnt tell you if true or not

TalkSPORT had a expert talking about what lawyers the PL are using in this case and he said they are the best of the best , so it’s not like City have the upper hand in that regard , as someone said before, the PL is a multi billion dollar company!

That football finance expert (Stefan Borson) is unfortunately a lifelong City fan and formerly gave an old City regime financial advice.

His comments about City’s charges seem more emotive IMO than his comments about other clubs issues.

It’s amazing how little respect so many have for their success. Carragher stirring on Twitter earlier. I remember in 2001 the media gave it a little about how United were falling off in Europe, and so it was bad for English football that we pissed another league…then all the other stuff about how quiet OT was, all that “how do United fans care it’s so inevitable boring”. But that success was a phenomenal story.

There is some jealously of City as we hate that it’s not us cleaning up titles anymore, but it still leaves you so cold when you see the state of that club overall. Not sure how they care. Could’ve just have easily been Coventry City getting plucked from nowhere.

I wonder how this would have played out if the Premier League took a more hardened stance to begin with.

Still refusing to provide the Premier League with the information requested three years down the line? No problem, until you comply (and you’ve had fair opportunity) then you won’t be competing in the Premier League. We’d soon see how quickly they miraculously want to go to court where everything is then under a spotlight.

I can’t imagine there’s a single team in the league except City who wouldn’t approve it.
I am far from a City supporter but the PL has to operate within the laid down process and that process has to be in accord with English Law.
You say that city are still failing to provide information and that maybe be correct but have you assumed that to be the case or is it just your take on things?
As we know this is an extremely complicated case and having been involved with investigations and trying then to firstly identify the extent of your case and then deal with inevitable challenges at every stage I can tell you they can take an eternity.

In any other sport do they allow a team to be under investigation whilst continuing to compete? In that time they have won a treble and about to win the league a record 4 years in a row. It's made a mockery of the entire sport. Surely lack of co-operation alone should of had them suspended, pending investigation. That way they would want to actively co-operative.

If anything the Premier League, and football authorities in general, need to make their rules stricter and clearer for compliance and punish accordingly. Manchester City are not too big to fail. Plenty of big clubs have had set backs in the past. Look at Schalke now or Dortmund in the early 2000s. They need to be punished for disobeying rules that everyone else has stuck to, and the fact that so many clubs have spent beyond their means to chase them. They have caused huge financial issues across the Premier League, and wider Europe inflating the market.

The only issue that is delaying things is the fact a State is behind the legal action blocking the investigation. That is precisely why they should never have been allowed to purchase a football club. The Premier League for me has been completely ruined. Non-United fans seem to be waking up now that Liverpool and Arsenal have lost the title with record points on the table.

As I said earlier I am no fan of City but please the investigation was concluded months ago and the charges are waiting to be dealt with at an IC. the stage we are at is no different to legal process where all sorts of legal arguments are being thrown in and if anyone thought this case was going to be concluded in less than. A couple of years then sorry they are naive

You talk about not allowing clubs to participate whilst under investigation would that include say Chelsea because as we know there is an active investigation or what about Utd and Newcastle who both have notes in their accounts about being under investigation by HMRC ? Ah you will say in the two Utd cases that’s not football authorities but almost certainty if the tax authorities prove their case in all probability both clubs will have not adhered to FA regulations re payments to players.

Finally we have to honour the concept of presumed innocent to proven guilty and suspending a club prior to the IC rules would simply be wrong on so many levels but as we know even when UEFA, FIFA or indeed any sporting governing body rules any sanction/ ban or whatever handed down is near enough always suspended any appeal almost certainly will mean that the sanction is suspended

When you know what Everton and Nottm Forest have been sanctioned with for a tiny fraction of that, and how quickly that was processed, it’s strange and puzzling how long it is taking.

It was processed under an accelerated procedure voted by the clubs and the charges both faced were single and although said to be complex were far more simple to rule on

As I said earlier I am no fan of City but please the investigation was concluded months ago and the charges are waiting to be dealt with at an IC. the stage we are at is no different to legal process where all sorts of legal arguments are being thrown in and if anyone thought this case was going to be concluded in less than. A couple of years then sorry they are naive

You talk about not allowing clubs to participate whilst under investigation would that include say Chelsea because as we know there is an active investigation or what about Utd and Newcastle who both have notes in their accounts about being under investigation by HMRC ? Ah you will say in the two Utd cases that’s not football authorities but almost certainty if the tax authorities prove their case in all probability both clubs will have not adhered to FA regulations re payments to players.

Finally we have to honour the concept of presumed innocent to proven guilty and suspending a club prior to the IC rules would simply be wrong on so many levels but as we know even when UEFA, FIFA or indeed any sporting governing body rules any sanction/ ban or whatever handed down is near enough always suspended any appeal almost certainly will mean that the sanction is suspended

I think that’s a fair assessment in general. The one point that makes city’s charges totally different is, that it’s obvious to everyone with one eye that they cheated themselves to glory. Or is there any doubt that their money, especially in the beginning of their journey, came exclusively from their owners and all the income from sponsors was not at arms length. Who would have sponsored a nowbody with hundreds of millions if it wasn’t his own project.
the problem is, that courts are working very slowly and at the time there is a final verdict it will be too late as city has allready ruined the game and got themselves to a level where they are sustainable

I am far from a City supporter but the PL has to operate within the laid down process and that process has to be in accord with English Law.
You say that city are still failing to provide information and that maybe be correct but have you assumed that to be the case or is it just your take on things?
As we know this is an extremely complicated case and having been involved with investigations and trying then to firstly identify the extent of your case and then deal with inevitable challenges at every stage I can tell you they can take an eternity.
You can’t be serious :lol:

Since Wolves can put forward a proposal to get rid of VAR, I don't know why United, Arsenal and Liverpool all don't get together to propose City are removed from the PL.

They ought to be able to get the support of all those clubs who have missed out on European competitions and so revenue, by being pushed an extra place down the league by a bunch of cheating cnuts. In addition, Nottingham Forest and Everton, whose charges were dealt with in 10 minutes, yet nothing is done about City. All the teams who were relegated, missing out on PL revenue for 1 or more seasons, and have since come back up, who wouldn't have been relegated in the first place. You only need 13 teams to support it.

They add nothing to the league, so they won't be missed by anyone.

I think that’s a fair assessment in general. The one point that makes city’s charges totally different is, that it’s obvious to everyone with one eye that they cheated themselves to glory. Or is there any doubt that their money, especially in the beginning of their journey, came exclusively from their owners and all the income from sponsors was not at arms length. Who would have sponsored a nowbody with hundreds of millions if it wasn’t his own project.
the problem is, that courts are working very slowly and at the time there is a final verdict it will be too late as city has allready ruined the game and got themselves to a level where they are sustainable

As I say I worked in investigations where it was beyond doubt that the entity / individual was guilty as sin but proving it wasnt always a given.
What we do know is UEFa rushed their case to the point they were so convinced that their case was cast iron they not only took short cuts they didn’t even factor in the sort of challenges that Cities legal team threw in .
There is a vast difference between the UEFa the CAS process and indeed the fact that this process will be under English law as opposed to Swiss Law where an inference can be taken from not releasing documents, engaging with the process etc whereas in Switzerland it can’t.
There is a lot of suggestion on here that City still withold documents that may or may not be so but my guess is that if by the time the panel have issued their directions and if it gets to a hearing the non compliance aspects will in themselves be heavily sanctioned

Is it just a coincidence that multiple different media outlets have begun talking about this again at the same time or is something happening?

Ive just been reading an article in thr MEN that said City face a £350m+ compensation payout to other clubs if found guilty so if the charges stick things could get really messy for them.

Is it just a coincidence that multiple different media outlets have begun talking about this again at the same time or is something happening?

Ive just been reading an article in thr MEN that said City face a £350m+ compensation payout to other clubs if found guilty so if the charges stick things could get really messy for them.

They are talking about it because they, City, are on the cusp of winning the PL again and by so doing set another record .

Any claims to compensation would be dealt with in accord with PL rules in effect via arbitration. Its impossible to quantify what sort of awards, if any would be made so for effect MEN have just thrown a number out there to get more clicks as it were

When you know what Everton and Nottm Forest have been sanctioned with for a tiny fraction of that, and how quickly that was processed, it’s strange and puzzling how long it is taking.

Not really. This occurs in legal processes involving large companies and corporations accused of crimes and misdealings whereas smaller firms with singular to a handful of chargers are dealt with quicker, especially when firms cooperate. For example, Enron legal process took like five years to conclude all proceedings and they had dozens of charges to dispute covering various executives, one exec had 98 charges alone. And that was fairly straight forward with plenty of documents available and a trail of obvious crimes. Not sure if those execs attempted to delay and block stuff ala City.

Edit: I should also add in the little nugget that this legal process also includes a sports league taking a STATE to court.

Last edited:
Since Wolves can put forward a proposal to get rid of VAR, I don't know why United, Arsenal and Liverpool all don't get together to propose City are removed from the PL.

They ought to be able to get the support of all those clubs who have missed out on European competitions and so revenue, by being pushed an extra place down the league by a bunch of cheating cnuts. In addition, Nottingham Forest and Everton, whose charges were dealt with in 10 minutes, yet nothing is done about City. All the teams who were relegated, missing out on PL revenue for 1 or more seasons, and have since come back up, who wouldn't have been relegated in the first place. You only need 13 teams to support it.

They add nothing to the league, so they won't be missed by anyone.

It appears the rules do allow such but curious if the clubs actually care to do so, or afraid of legal backlash as City would rain legal fire down on everyone. Personally, I would love it, luv'it!, if the clubs did so this summer.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...icked-out-points-deduction-financial-breaches
Under section W.51.4, the commission can 'suspend a respondent [club] from playing in league matches or any matches in competitions which form part of the Games Programmes'. They're also able to 'deduct points scored or to be scored in league matches or such other matches'.

But most damning is their ability to 'recommend that the league expels the respondent from membership'. If it is recommended by the commission that City be expelled, a general meeting will be held by all members of the league.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ity-REJECTED-EFL-expelled-Premier-League.html
67374851-11718099-The_potential_range_of_punishments_the_Commission_could_hand_dow-a-33_1675686832603.jpg

Interesting idea if they are found guilty which is picking up traction now of them repaying the other PL clubs (for the years they are found guilty) for the central payments that are shared out each year. That wouldn't take into account the big losses of European money for some teams but the figure is estimated at £350m between PL clubs and former PL clubs. Figure seems way too high to be realistic but it's the right kind of thing people should be looking at, how to help the other teams who have lost out.