Chelsea 2024/25

Other than a loan with Chelsea paying most his wages then I'm struggling to see who would take Sterling on.
Saudi maybe but I doubt sterling would go there as he’s mentioned he wants back in with England and that would be a death knell for his international career.
If it’s only one millstone Chelsea have to carry I’m sure they can do it but the worry for them is that there will be more than one.

Felix is the one that I think could really turn the fanbase against the ownership and their way of doing things.

This is a player Chelsea don't need at all and they've got him in on a SEVEN year deal. Of course he could get the Sterling treatment next season under a different manager but very few Chelsea fans wanted him back after an underwhelming loan spell I suspect.

Chelsea was a bit of a melting pot last season in the stands and I thought it was going to kick off after losing to Wolves at home in Feb but they did have a strong run in especially at Stamford Bridge.

Poor start at home continuing and I think they'll be plenty of bile directed to Bohely and the sporting directors as a large chunk of the fanbase has seen them win multiple league titles, FA cups and two CLs so it's a different feel to the crowd from late 90s/early 2000s that had seen about three trophy wins in forty years.

One to watch as this is the third full season now under this ownership model.

Felix is the one that I think could really turn the fanbase against the ownership and their way of doing things.

This is a player Chelsea don't need at all and they've got him in on a SEVEN year deal. Of course he could get the Sterling treatment next season under a different manager but very few Chelsea fans wanted him back after an underwhelming loan spell I suspect.

Chelsea was a bit of a melting pot last season in the stands and I thought it was going to kick off after losing to Wolves at home in Feb but they did have a strong run in especially at Stamford Bridge.

Poor start at home continuing and I think they'll be plenty of bile directed to Bohely and the sporting directors as a large chunk of the fanbase has seen them win multiple league titles, FA cups and two CLs so it's a different feel to the crowd from late 90s/early 2000s that had seen about three trophy wins in forty years.

I'm very happy to have Joao Felix back if he's used properly. Also there's been a weird revisionist history about his 6 month spell at Chelsea; expecting him to succeed in the most dysfunctional period in Chelsea's modern history whilst the team was falling apart around him and under 3 different managers is pretty unreasonable. Even so he scored 4 goals and hit the post 4 or 5 times in about 1000 minutes. By a fecking mile our best attacking player over that period - obviously the bar is subterranean there.

This video sums up my feelings basically:

Saudi maybe but I doubt sterling would go there as he’s mentioned he wants back in with England and that would be a death knell for his international career.
If it’s only one millstone Chelsea have to carry I’m sure they can do it but the worry for them is that there will be more than one.

I don't understand why they'd make it so clear they want him out, as there has to be a very good chance he stays, the same with Chilwell I would have thought.

It's all hypothetical what will he appen in future. There's nothing to worry about regarding what happens outside the team as far as I'm concerned, my concern is how the team plays on the field.

It seems to me that the team coach freely expresses his opinion to the technical directors.

Sterling is indeed an excellent player, but he has always struggled to keep the ball under control when he is under pressure, the same goes for Conor. Both are great players, but they have had difficulty controlling the ball.

Maresca believes that all players in his team should be able to handle the ball well under pressure. Therefore, it seems he has excluded them from the team. This is just my opinion.

It is a fair opinion and imo, nothing wrong with it. I also agree about Sterling and Conor. Sterling dropped a level since his former days and I thought he was pretty much constantly underwhelming since coming at Chelsea while earning a shitload. Conor has some good traits but he is still not a player you want to build your midfield around if you want to play in a more progressive and possession based approach. Don't see much wrong with Maresca statement as well as he simply can't work with the squad that huge. At least and in theory, he has won and has on his side those 21 players he will count on. Pretty much, the only way he can succeed in Chelsea. In fact, I actually like the statement looking it purely from his perspective and it is the only way to put some authority and order regarding players who will decide his faith as a manager.

And for fans the results are most important. Problem here and why I said these owners might test your love (although, the better term would be to turn you fully against them) is if these chaotic approach continues while the results keep being underwhelming. This is their 3rd season and 6th manager. 5th if we exclude Bruno Saltor which is still way too much. You won CL just 2 years before and from that team the only player on the pitch who was part of Chelsea's CL winning campaign on Sunday was Mateo Kovacic. Playing in a City shirt. That's just crazy.
When you spend this amount of money but continue to produce subpar performances the frustration keeps growing and you don't feel such connection with the team which isn't producing on the pitch. This will especially be the case in a team which has such a bloated squad and where the turnover of players is on a level never seen before.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your thinking and I would probably feel the same sitting on the other side of the fence. But Chelsea need results and to start competing, otherwise, the craziness of owners approach will start baiting them in the face. And rightly so. You start raising questions about their competence and commitment to make your club successful. I actually never doubted Woodward/Arnold commitment and desire to make United successful, I just think they were incompetent to do it. And it was still a pretty shit feeling. Chelsea's owners are walking on a very thin line where they might look both incompetent and not caring... Which is the worst combination and kick in the balls for any fan who cares.

In any case, Chelsea need to start producing results and do it fast.

They'd be much better off buying Chalobah; I dont think Disasi is very good.
Personally disagree - Disasi is a much more physical RCB who could in theory mask some of Trippier's defensive weaknesses. Chalobah is a bit of an odd player because he is quite poor in the air and probably is best used as a RCB in a back 3.

Feel sorry for Maresca.

Much like Tuchel, then Potter and more recently Poch, he’s being made to look an idiot and answer questions about the bloated squad right from the off.

I’m sure he could do without all this nonsense that the club keep pulling.

Laughing stock.
I absolutely don't feel sorry for Maresca. Unlike Tuchel and Potter he went into this, knowing all that Chelsea is right now and he still chose it.

I'm very happy to have Joao Felix back if he's used properly. Also there's been a weird revisionist history about his 6 month spell at Chelsea; expecting him to succeed in the most dysfunctional period in Chelsea's modern history whilst the team was falling apart around him and under 3 different managers is pretty unreasonable. Even so he scored 4 goals and hit the post 4 or 5 times in about 1000 minutes. By a fecking mile our best attacking player over that period - obviously the bar is subterranean there.

This video sums up my feelings basically:

Nkunku will play over him surely. Palmer should also play more central this season as the template was there in last 10 games of last season when it largely worked.

He'll just be an expensive bench warmer and then loaned out somewhere else next season.

Nkunku will play over him surely. Palmer should also play more central this season as the template was there in last 10 games of last season when it largely worked.

He'll just be an expensive bench warmer and then loaned out somewhere else next season.
The way I view it is that Neto / Nkunku / Felix should be the rotation for the LW and 10 positions. Neto and Nkunku are both coming off injury-hit seasons - so would I rather have Sterling as the backup there getting significant minutes or Felix? For me the answer is easily Felix. Mudryk as well is in that mix but is 4th in the pecking order.

I absolutely don't feel sorry for Maresca. Unlike Tuchel and Potter he went into this, knowing all that Chelsea is right now and he still chose it.
He’s got a fantastic opportunity, all the noise propels him so that the whole football world knows his name as manager of a big club.

If he fails no one will blame him and his stock is now a big club/ at least PL level manager.

If he succeeds the whole world will take notice.

I think he is going to fail fast, it’s a circus and no one would find it easy, Poch was just getting somewhere when he was sacked.

Maresca only really has one season as a first team manager at championship level the rest is as Peps assistant or at lower level except for 14 games as Parma manager.

Exactly. Carra talked about it on Monday night. Managers, coaches and players now know how the club and upper management operate. If they continue to go there while they operate like this, then that's all on them (and their agents of course).

Atletico are reportedly celebrating. Not because they signed Gallagher, but because they finally got rid of Felix.

The question "how are they balancing the books" is like asking "how often do Arsenal clean their champions league trophy".

The books are not balanced.
Its okay we polish our triple the PL trophies Chelsea have also knowing we didn't need to be bankrolled by a sugar daddy and to spend £250 million in 2004 and 2005 to become a relevant club and destroy the transfer business in the process. Without the said sugar daddy Chelsea would be where they are now, irrelevant and a laughing stock in London.

wtf....they've signed 11 players this summer and have 42 registered players on the first team. how the holy hell do they avoid FFP rules given the squad and monies they've spent???

They know how to sell.

It is quite funny that they're so hopeless at signing players when they're able to sell players as well as they do. If they redirected those funds into players who actually improved their starting team instead of the likes of Joao Felix and Dewsbury-Hall, they'd actually be quite a dangerous proposition.

I expect a £40m bid for him any day now. The way chelsea sell players.
He was rated pretty highly before Chelsea bought him. We were linked pretty heavily and so were Newcastle iirc.

They know how to sell.

They certainly do. The other thing is a lot of outgoing transfers go under the radar because of the sheer volume of them and a lot of the players being squad players and them not necessarily being high profile transfers to the casual fan/non Chelsea fan. They have sold a few players in the last few weeks that I had to check who they even were. (NOT Gallagher)

Sterling is only 29. I thought he was a lot older than that tbh. He shouldn’t be sidelined at that age.

Wonder if the PFA will step in like they did with us and Sancho :confused:

He was rated pretty highly before Chelsea bought him. We were linked pretty heavily and so were Newcastle iirc.

They certainly do. The other thing is a lot of outgoing transfers go under the radar because of the sheer volume of them and a lot of the players being squad players and them not necessarily being high profile transfers to the casual fan/non Chelsea fan. They have sold a few players in the last few weeks that I had to check who they even were. (NOT Gallagher)
Does matter how highly rated he was, he has proven himself to be an awful player. Sancho was a world beater at Dortmund but we can't shift him for half the price we paid for him right now because of how he's performed for us.

By my count, the only players left to have played a senior game for Chelsea under the previous ownership, two years after the take-over, are:
  • Kepa (leaving, training away from the first team)
  • Chillwell (leaving, training away from the first team)
  • Chalobah (leaving, training away from the first team)
  • Lukaku (leaving, training away from the first team)
  • Broja (1 game. Leaving, training away from the first team)
  • Betinelli (1 game)
  • Reece James
Basically, James is the only surviving player worth mentioning.

It is a fair opinion and imo, nothing wrong with it. I also agree about Sterling and Conor. Sterling dropped a level since his former days and I thought he was pretty much constantly underwhelming since coming at Chelsea while earning a shitload. Conor has some good traits but he is still not a player you want to build your midfield around if you want to play in a more progressive and possession based approach. Don't see much wrong with Maresca statement as well as he simply can't work with the squad that huge. At least and in theory, he has won and has on his side those 21 players he will count on. Pretty much, the only way he can succeed in Chelsea. In fact, I actually like the statement looking it purely from his perspective and it is the only way to put some authority and order regarding players who will decide his faith as a manager.

And for fans the results are most important. Problem here and why I said these owners might test your love (although, the better term would be to turn you fully against them) is if these chaotic approach continues while the results keep being underwhelming. This is their 3rd season and 6th manager. 5th if we exclude Bruno Saltor which is still way too much. You won CL just 2 years before and from that team the only player on the pitch who was part of Chelsea's CL winning campaign on Sunday was Mateo Kovacic. Playing in a City shirt. That's just crazy.
When you spend this amount of money but continue to produce subpar performances the frustration keeps growing and you don't feel such connection with the team which isn't producing on the pitch. This will especially be the case in a team which has such a bloated squad and where the turnover of players is on a level never seen before.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your thinking and I would probably feel the same sitting on the other side of the fence. But Chelsea need results and to start competing, otherwise, the craziness of owners approach will start baiting them in the face. And rightly so. You start raising questions about their competence and commitment to make your club successful. I actually never doubted Woodward/Arnold commitment and desire to make United successful, I just think they were incompetent to do it. And it was still a pretty shit feeling. Chelsea's owners are walking on a very thin line where they might look both incompetent and not caring... Which is the worst combination and kick in the balls for any fan who cares.

In any case, Chelsea need to start producing results and do it fast.
Fans can't do shit to Club owners. As United fans, we should know that by now.

Does matter how highly rated he was, he has proven himself to be an awful player. Sancho was a world beater at Dortmund but we can't shift him for half the price we paid for him right now because of how he's performed for us.

Havent seen much of him at Chelsea to be honest but possibly could be the teams interested in him not really taking tbe Chelsea spell in to account.

Havent seen much of him at Chelsea to be honest but possibly could be the teams interested in him not really taking tbe Chelsea spell in to account.

Saying he's proved himself to be an awful player is a crazy exaggeration imo.

I mean, that's good isn't it?
Intentions might have been but from a United perspective it was probably seen as butting in and also weakening their position a bit. I'm just interested to see if they offer the same here.

Intentions might have been but from a United perspective it was probably seen as butting in and also weakening their position a bit. I'm just interested to see if they offer the same here.
It's a different situation as Sancho was being punished for a tweet and was told he couldn't play until he apologised.

Sterling just isn't wanted. The PFA doesn't really get involved when players aren't part of the first team plans. He's still being paid, he's still training, he's just no longer in the managers plans.

Either way, a union reaching out to make things better for a member is generally a good thing in my eyes.

Fans can't do shit to Club owners. As United fans, we should know that by now.

Glazers gave football control to Ratcliffe. How much is that due to protests and them needing security at the highest level when coming to OT watching the club they own we will never know. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

Fans can definitely put pressure on owners.

Glazers gave football control to Ratcliffe. How much is that due to protests and them needing security at the highest level when coming to OT watching the club they own we will never know. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

Fans can definitely put pressure on owners.
The Superleague reaction as well. Put the brakes on that shitshow in hours.

Fans don't realise the power they have.