Casemiro (Out)

We should cut our losses and move him in - he’s costing us £17m a year in wages alone ffs
£17m a year. Just insane. Wages are the true killer of football finances. Not transfer fee. So in reality the true cost of this Casemiro signing is the £70m we paid plus £17m a year in wages x 4 years. This Casemiro signing is costing us a minimum of £140m all in. The people who sanctioned this transfer should be sued to court for gross financial negligence.

Is there any serious interest in him?

Seeing Chelsea shift Gallagher for close to 40 million is frustrating and we are really struggling to sell players for remotely decent fees, if at all.

I wouldn't have taken him to preseason. That might encourage him to leave. I doubt it though. As said we are his al ittihad

I would have done the same if we had already gotten in an Ugarte early. As it stands we have no replacement or backup to him to start the season so probably couldn't afford to leave him behind.

Is there any serious interest in him?

Seeing Chelsea shift Gallagher for close to 40 million is frustrating and we are really struggling to sell players for remotely decent fees, if at all.
Chelsea refused to allow him to training with first team if he didnt leave. We are not that ruthless

I would have done the same if we had already gotten in an Ugarte early. As it stands we have no replacement or backup to him to start the season so probably couldn't afford to leave him behind.

He might still stick to his guns though. As said I fear we're his Al-ittihad. In such circumstances I would either try and negotiate a deal with him were he leaves on a free and we get rid of his salary or else we let him rot in the reserves. With McT close to leaving we should be able to get Ugarte at least on loan with obligation to buy. Then we can focus on someone on the cheap like Amrabat for example

Chelsea refused to allow him to training with first team if he didnt leave. We are not that ruthless

They did that with Lukaku too and he's still there last I know.
The whole ruthless thing I think is an old trope that is only fueled by fan frustration. You can't force a player out a contract, the most painless way to shift a player is to work a transfer. But you need to have bidders and the lack of that is probably valuation problems.

By all means tell the players between four eyes they're considered surplus if so, but I think vexations are not very effective beyond that.

Goes from sublime to shocking. Has the ability and the vision for some sweet passes but makes equal number of hospital passes.

He was one type of player at RM and here at a ripe age of 32 we want him to be a different type of player altogether. Baffling signing and baffling in how we use him.
Absolutely he is criminally used, he doesn't remotely fit into ETH system

No. We would already amortized £30m of his value if we assume that we got him for £60m on an initial 4 year contract (60/4 = £15m/year). So, if we are able to generate £30m from his sale, it won't negatively affect our books.
The post I quoted mention letting him basically leave for free to free up the wages, which would reflect a loss.

This is were the ruthlessness of a Mourinho or Pep is Handy. Mourinho wanted a midfielder, Schweinsteiger was in the way he got frozen out. It seems harsh but you want to play at United you have to play like a United player.

Is there anyone actually interested in signing Casemiro? With Gallagher, Chelsea have a real offer on the table from Atletico.

Is there anyone actually interested in signing Casemiro? With Gallagher, Chelsea have a real offer on the table from Atletico.

Gallaghers the equivalent of McTominay (though Gallaghers much more useful). They're assets on the book because they're cheap and young, so clubs could be interested in them for their potential.

Casemiro is a contractual liability. Saudi is the only hope for him. The same goes for Antony.

Gallaghers the equivalent of McTominay (though Gallaghers much more useful).

Casemiro is a contractual liability. Saudi is the only hope for him. The same goes for Antony.
Agree completely. Our inability to properly shift fringe players this pre-season is worrying. Not to mention the fact the prices being quoted are ludicrously low. Clubs trying to get AWB and McTominay for around 10-15m each is insulting.
Even Watford are getting bids of north of 20m for their players.

Agree completely. Our inability to properly shift fringe players this pre-season is worrying. Not to mention the fact the prices being quoted are ludicrously low. Clubs trying to get AWB and McTominay for around 10-15m each is insulting.
Even Watford are getting bids of north of 20m for their players.

We had a £35-40m odd offer for McTominay in Jan 2023 and then £30m odd last summer. Now he's got a year left with no leverage. We can't offer him a new deal because it would come with a pay rise, and it might price him out of a move in the future.

That's all of our own doing.

Other clubs aren't stupid.

If will be interesting to see how often he starts this season.
I hope he can turn it around but I really cannot see it.

We had a £35-40m odd offer for McTominay in Jan 2023 and then £30m odd last summer. Now he's got a year left with no leverage. We can't offer him a new deal because it would come with a pay rise, and it might price him out of a move in the future.

That's all of our own doing.

Other clubs aren't stupid.
Truth, we are just emerging from more than a decade of incompetence bordering on self-sabotage and cleaning our books and clearing out the garbage that's accumulated over the last decade will not be an easy task and will take years and years of work. Casemiro has 2 years, Antony 3, Sancho 2 and Rashford 4 - these contracts will be a reference point for renewals if they stay here and create an upward wage pressure from anyone who is either joining or wants to renew their deal, see Bruno.

Truth, we are just emerging from more than a decade of incompetence bordering on self-sabotage and cleaning our books and clearing out the garbage that's accumulated over the last decade will not be an easy task and will take years and years of work. Casemiro has 2 years, Antony 3, Sancho 2 and Rashford 4 - these contracts will be a reference point for renewals if they stay here and create an upward wage pressure from anyone who is either joining or wants to renew their deal, see Bruno.

Seasons like 18/19, 21/22, 23/24 put us in such horrible negotiating positions. We leave these seasons desperate and broken with everyone in the market waiting to rip us off.

Our fans seem to genuinely enjoy those years as being part of the process, but our lack of action to stop the floodgates in those years put us in a terrible position.

It's why its important this summer, to just walk away and not sign anyone if the right player isn't available for the right price.

There was interest from Saudi Casemiro since said he wanted to stay and fight for his place.

If will be interesting to see how often he starts this season.
I hope he can turn it around but I really cannot see it.
It requires a complete reworking of how he approaches and deals with threats. He simply doesn’t have the pace to proactively tackle and win the ball anymore, so he has to rely on hanging back, making interceptions and being more tidy in possession. He’s technically capable but it usually takes high level players a season or two to reconfigure their game when the body is slower than the head.

It requires a complete reworking of how he approaches and deals with threats. He simply doesn’t have the pace to proactively tackle and win the ball anymore, so he has to rely on hanging back, making interceptions and being more tidy in possession. He’s technically capable but it usually takes high level players a season or two to reconfigure their game when the body is slower than the head.

A lot of it is to do with our set up. At Real Madrid in his last season he averaged 2.77 tackles a game. He joined us and for the last 2 seasons he's been attempting 3.77 tackles a game.

The midfield set up is so open that it's a really difficult job.

Cfaoj9D.jpeg

His workload on the pitch is massive. I think unfortunately, he's also lost a lot of confidence in his ability as well - he just looks timid nowadays.

The more passive way of defending relies on a compact midfield up where you've narrowed down the passing lanes and options.

If I remember correctly he was one of the highest paid when he left Madrid so he signed on huge wages here too, and now we are stuck, Perez couldn't believe his luck when we offered 70m for him.

He was excellent in his first season but since then he has been on a downward trajectory, hope he is managed well this season and the tactics will help him not run around and cover vast open spaces.

A lot of it is to do with our set up. At Real Madrid in his last season he averaged 2.77 tackles a game. He joined us and for the last 2 seasons he's been attempting 3.77 tackles a game.

Cfaoj9D.jpeg

His workload on the pitch is massive. I think unfortunately, he's also lost a lot of confidence in his ability as well - he just looks timid nowadays.
In Madrid, Zidane & Ancelotti ensured midfield was compact, he had Kroos and Modric around him and Benzema dropping deep and the back 4 pushing up, the area he operated in was far smaller and Madrid were also better at keeping the ball and sustaining attacking pressure against opps which in turn meant less workload defensively, here has to do alot more and we don't control or dominate the play and sustain pressure which then meant increased workload defensively as the stats you shared show that he tackles and blocks alot more than he did previously

The reason he left stadium after knowing he was on bench for FA-Cup final itself speaks volumes and we should ship him out just for that reason.
I love him and his first season was good, seems 2 red cards changed his style of play which doesn't suit league anymore, looks like he is playing with lot of fear about getting cards in the back of his head.

Age, our style of play or not having right players around him, what ever it be I think better he moves on.

No way he’s leaving. If he doesn’t fancy Saudi, he’s got a fat contract with years left on it. He’s well within his rights to say he’s staying. We’re stupid for allowing that to happen but that’s nothing new.

Seasons like 18/19, 21/22, 23/24 put us in such horrible negotiating positions. We leave these seasons desperate and broken with everyone in the market waiting to rip us off.

Our fans seem to genuinely enjoy those years as being part of the process, but our lack of action to stop the floodgates in those years put us in a terrible position.

It's why its important this summer, to just walk away and not sign anyone if the right player isn't available for the right price.
True its crucial not to bend back over backwards and pay outrageous amounts for players that will later on be difficult to shift, Bayern also need the funds to do their own business and we have the players on lock so we should sit tight and play hard ball. Its not like they are the difference between a title challenge and relegation either.

The reason he left stadium after knowing he was on bench for FA-Cup final itself speaks volumes and we should ship him out just for that reason.
I love him and his first season was good, seems 2 red cards changed his style of play which doesn't suit league anymore, looks like he is playing with lot of fear about getting cards in the back of his head.

Age, our style of play or not having right players around him, what ever it be I think better he moves on.

He's going to ground and throwing himself into tackles all over the place. Usually miles off timing it right. That's not a player scared of getting a card. I don't think that's an issue.

Losing whatever flexibility he had and our poor possession as a team are the real issues.

Are you suggesting he’s value for money?
That’s a different discussion. I was suggesting that writing off his fee and paying his entire contract to release him is not a fiscally responsible move, and doesn’t actually benefit the club.

It’s up to ten Hag therefore to decide whether he is value for money and how best to use him given the other (or lack of ) options at his disposal in DM/MF.

Cfaoj9D.jpeg

The more passive way of defending relies on a compact midfield up where you've narrowed down the passing lanes and options.
Those challenges lost and errors are obvious beaming red lights but his interceptions being down is disappointing as well.

That’s a different discussion. I was suggesting that writing off his fee and paying his entire contract to release him is not a fiscally responsible move, and doesn’t actually benefit the club.

It’s up to ten Hag therefore to decide whether he is value for money and how best to use him given the other (or lack of ) options at his disposal in DM/MF.
Fair enough - I don’t disagree.

I was meaning try and find a taker on a small or even free at this stage - probably a viable solution.

But isn't that what he did at Magreed?
Since he has come to us he thinks he is Roy of the Rovers.