Casemiro (Out)

If we get Ugarte, then I'm fine with Casemiro staying as an option.

It definitely looks more likely he stays and McTominay and Eriksen leave. 2 out of those 3 should leave anyway.

we can’t - it would result in a 30m accounting loss, limiting our spending power drastically

Do you think it’s a better idea to keep him in the squad and let him burn us on the pitch every week? Or just bench him and eat the 18 mil a year in wages? And if we do that, he walks in a few years anyway. At least if we give him away we solve the on the pitch problem and wages. It’s not ideal but nobody with eyes is giving us a decent fee for him at this point in his career.

Giving him away when he cost £70m only 2 years ago is a massive cost towards FFP. If the Club amortized his value over say 5 years, then there is still £42m on the book and the club still has to pay most of the £70m to Real Madrid still.

Or this.

See above reply.

Do you think it’s a better idea to keep him in the squad and let him burn us on the pitch every week? Or just bench him and eat the 18 mil a year in wages? And if we do that, he walks in a few years anyway. At least if we give him away we solve the on the pitch problem and wages. It’s not ideal but nobody with eyes is giving us a decent fee for him at this point in his career.

See above reply.
Keep him if no one is interested in him but just don't make him a default first choice anymore. If he loses his starting place he will see the light and move on in January, hopefully by then Collyer is established as a bona fide first team regular. Scout and sign a DM urgently so that we can drop Casemiro if need be and it looks like we will have to.

Giving him away when he cost £70m only 2 years ago is a massive cost towards FFP. If the Club amortized his value over say 5 years, then there is still £42m on the book and the club still has to pay most of the £70m to Real Madrid still.

Or this.
we can’t - it would result in a 30m accounting loss, limiting our spending power drastically
Thats why everyone does the loan with obligation to buy……it allows you to frig the numbers and kick the can down the line and hope you can do something elsewhere to mitigate the issue as well as alllowing for depreciation of another year.

It may well happen with Sancho as well - if he goes out on loan again this year he will depreciate by another £15m-£18m a year again in our assets.

Accountants are key to getting around FFP these days.

To sell him. No way he should start the season with us if we take things seriously
I predicted all season we'd struggle to offload. Can't sell something nobody wants to buy.

If you were another club would you want to take him and his ridiculous wages on?

I predicted all season we'd struggle to offload. Can't sell something nobody wants to buy.

If you were another club would you want to take him and his ridiculous wages on?
If I was a Saudi club I'd want Casemiro, yes

Why? Loads of better, younger, cheaper players available.
Which younger, cheaper players that have star power?

Saudi have been after names in this stage of their process, he fits the bill and would still be able to perform at a good level in that league.

He stuck out in midfield as the one player who just doesn't seem comfortable on the ball or has the quick thinking to release the ball quickly when playing in tight areas. Hopefully an Ugarte can be a step up in that regard. We really need midfielders who are comfortable under pressure.

I can’t understand why anyone would want to keep him in any capacity, he’s completely fallen off a cliff.

Aside from his lack of mobility and desperate lunge tackles, he can’t even take care of the ball any more - his passing is shocking.

Which younger, cheaper players that have star power?

Saudi have been after names in this stage of their process, he fits the bill and would still be able to perform at a good level in that league.
That just it though, clinging on to the slim hope they buy him because he's a 'name' rather than how good he actually is. If the Saudi league didn't exist there'd be no market for him whatsoever.

That just it though, clinging on to the slim hope they buy him because he's a 'name' rather than how good he actually is. If the Saudi league didn't exist there'd be no market for him whatsoever.

MLS?

I think Casemiro might interest a lot of clubs but not for 30m (which is more or less his value as an asset on the books, I think) and his wages. I am sure there might be loan inquiries later in the window but the problem with those is that it doesn't help fund finding a replacement to the same extent.

Hasn’t he also been left out of his national team? If so, I am wondering if this is an attractive proposition even for Saudi clubs to pay a transfer fee on top of his wage…

Hasn’t he also been left out of his national team? If so, I am wondering if this is an attractive proposition even for Saudi clubs to pay a transfer fee on top of his wage…
Hes an immense name, irrespective of passing his peak. They will gain from sheer branding of his status before they consider him as a player.

Hes an immense name, irrespective of passing his peak. They will gain from sheer branding of his status before they consider him as a player.

I don’t have doubts they are interested, but whether the fee they’d be willing to pay meets our valuation is another matter, but let’s hope our board makes a sensible decision as having him even as a squad player will create more issues than solved considering his seniority and wages

If United can buy another CB and play a higher line...that would help Casemiro.
If United could buy a DM...that would help Casemiro.

Gonna be an expensive summer just trying to cover for Casemiro's inadequacies.

Saudi paid for Fabinho who was equally, if not more, washed up and didn't have half the name recognition. We are just plain unlucky.

No it wouldn't, you're ignoring the impact of wages and this year's amortization which would be incurred if we were to keep him.

Why would Casemeiro go to Saudi or USA? These are more of retirement route. I believe Casemeiro still want to be playing competitively at high level in Europe and hope to get back to Brazil national team.

I don't mind to keep him if we can't get reasonable offer for him. We will need him next season with the number of games we need to play and also we have pretty poor injury records.

Accounting doesn’t work like that. P&L and Cash Flow are different things
I'm not referring to cash flow. I'm referring to the accounting costs we would incur this season if we were to keep him vs. the writedown of his book value if we were to get rid of him.

Let me illustrate. Casemiro was signed for £70m on a four-year contract, earning £350,000 a week. That comes out to about £17.5m per season in wages. Two of the four years of his contract have elapsed, so his book value is currently £35m.

If we were to keep Casemiro, this season we would incur £17.5m in wage expense and £17.5m in amortization (70/4), for a total accounting expenditure of £35m.
If we were to get rid of him, we would write down his book value, representing a hit on our books this season of £35m.

As you can see, his breakeven transfer fee is zero. Any transfer fee, no matter how small, gives us an FFP/PSR accounting profit this season.

Last edited:
I'm not referring to cash flow. I'm referring to the accounting costs we would incur this season if we were to keep him vs. the writedown of his book value if we were to get rid of him.

Let me illustrate. Casemiro was signed for £70m on a four-year contract, earning £350,000 a week. That comes out to about £17.5m per season in wages. Two of the four years of his contract have elapsed, so his book value is currently £35m.

If we were to keep Casemiro, this season we would incur £17.5m in wage expense and £17.5m in amortization (70/4), for a total accounting expenditure of £35m.
If we were to get rid of him, we would write down his book value, representing a hit on our books this season of £35m.

As you can see, his breakeven transfer fee is zero. Any transfer fee, no matter how small, gives us an FFP/PSR accounting profit this season.

Not an accountant but we don't incur an expense on depreciation, amortization is purely a theoretical value. I don't know if there's installments on his transfers from Real but that's purely separate and it's spent money.

My understanding of FFP is that whatever resale fee we perceive would be weighted against his theoretical current value (let's say 35 as you calculated). Selling a player below value count negatively for the FFP formula, wages are a different issue entirely for that part of the calculations as far as I got the explanations. Can't speak for PSL.

I think we do need to get 35m in that example not to get downgraded within the FFP formula, wages notwithstanding.

My apologies if I'm wrong.

All that said we'll have to replace Casemiro if he leaves and while his replacement should be on lesser wages in real terms we're not freeing up 18m in wages, maybe half or a little more of that. And even if we let him leave for 5m there's money to shell for whoever is transferred in his place.

If we keep him two more seasons he'll cost us 35m in wages. If we can get a replacement that over the next two years will cost us less (Player X transfer fee + wages over two years - Casemiro out fee) we're in a better financial position.

Not an accountant but we don't incur an expense on depreciation, amortization is purely a theoretical value. I don't know if there's installments on his transfers from Real but that's purely separate and it's spent money.

My understanding of FFP is that whatever resale fee we perceive would be weighted against his theoretical current value (let's say 35 as you calculated). Selling a player below value count negatively for the FFP formula, wages are a different issue entirely for that part of the calculations as far as I got the explanations. Can't speak for PSL.

I think we do need to get 35m in that example not to get downgraded within the FFP formula, wages notwithstanding.

All that said we'll have to replace Casemiro if he leaves and while his replacement should be on lesser wages in real terms we're not freeing up 18m in wages, maybe half or a little more of that. And even if we let him leave for 5m there's money to shell for whoever is transferred in his place.

If we keep him two more seasons he'll cost us 35m in wages. If we can get a replacement that over the next two years will cost us less (Player X transfer fee + wages over two years - Casemiro out fee) we're in a better financial position.

Ammortization/depreciation is not a theoritical value. It has no cash flow implications as it will have been spent or committed already but it reflects cost in time, as the asset you acquire does not serve its purpose for only one year. Initial contract duration is used for players because it’s the best measure.

Ammortization/depreciation is not a theoritical value. It has no cash flow implications as it will have been spent or committed already but it reflects cost in time, as the asset you acquire does not serve its purpose for only one year. Initial contract duration is used for players because it’s the best measure.

Maybe theoretical is not the best word but in the sense it doesn't reflect a movement of capital/cash (and I feel some people conflate it with paid installments sometimes). It's useful to assess the value of the "assets" on hand and it comes into play if you sell said asset before full amortisation. AFAIU FFP takes into account if you sold an asset/player/contract below current value, among other things. The wage bill is I'm sure accounted for too but in a different part of that set of regulations.

Last edited:

I'm not referring to cash flow. My understanding is that amortization does get counted as part of the player spending / squad cost that we get measured against. Otherwise we could just spend whatever transfer fees we wanted without worrying about the regulations.

This was such a weird signing

Casemiro in his peak, up to and including the level he was in his first season here gets into any team in the World. He'd not look out of place in a midfield with Keane and Scholes at their peaks.

But spending £70m on him at a time it was obvious that his best years were behind him seems mental

Saudi paid for Fabinho who was equally, if not more, washed up and didn't have half the name recognition. We are just plain unlucky.
Feels like we’re a season too late. I think Diaby is the only big transfer so far, right? I’m sure Joselu and Nacho are going/have gone, but I think they were either both frees or nominal figures

I'm not referring to cash flow. My understanding is that amortization does get counted as part of the player spending / squad cost that we get measured against. Otherwise we could just spend whatever transfer fees we wanted without worrying about the regulations.

I think we diverge on our understanding of the regulations though yes I agree that amortized value still on the books is compared against when selling a player. As I understand it (and subject to being corrected) the value of his contract this summer is probably, as you explained, half of his transfer value in. We'd need to sell him for that amount of more for it to impact positively or be neutral towards our FFP spending ceiling.