Casemiro (Out)

Season's cooked if he is still starting. He can't play more than 45 minutes at a time. But his wages are too high for a player sitting on the bench. It is imperative he is moved on.

What a predictable transfer this has turned out in the end.

Season's cooked if he is still starting. He can't play more than 45 minutes at a time. But his wages are too high for a player sitting on the bench. It is imperative he is moved on.

What a predictable transfer this has turned out in the end.
Casemiro could still do a decent job if used wisely and sparingly in games where we play 3 CBs

Casemiro could still do a decent job if used wisely and sparingly in games where we play 3 CBs

He could still do a decent job in a double pivot and in a possession-based team, and having his time managed. But that's clearly not what Ten Hag is going for. Casemiro has no place in his high-intensity, suicidal football. And he is also being paid starter wages. For that money, you could have Ugarte as a starter and Amrabat as backup.

He is in £350k a week - we can’t just leave him around playing sparingly - he has 2 years left on his contract - he is going to cost us £32m alone in wages if he stays.

That news about us telling the PIF that Bruno, Sancho and Casemiro won't be for sale seems to check out

He's being entrusted with the armband in preseason

I'm happy to keep Casemeiro. He was excellent in the first season here. He suffered last season because of ETH crazy basketball tactics.

He will be fine once all the players are back and ETH use "normal" tactics again.

We’re pretty much stuck unless we can sell players. Nothing the club can do if an offer doesn’t come.

We have to always remind ourselves that it’s not up to the club if a player actually leaves. There has to be a buying club and the player has to want to go.

I always see comments like “ffs we should be getting rid” but it really is not that easy, especially for the players we have that are a bit washed up and on high salaries

I actually have a feeling he's gonna have a very good season. Though I'm basing that on absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
I actually have a feeling he's gonna have a very good season
If we play the way we played last season committing everybody forward, then no chance in hell will he have a good season. If Ten Hag finally sees reasons and reverts to a structured playing style with positional discipline then maybe the bad aspects of his game can be shielded and protected enough for him to not be an absolute liability on the pitch. But he will still be a net negative everytime he plays. How damaging that will be to the rest of the team depends on our playing style.

We have to always remind ourselves that it’s not up to the club if a player actually leaves. There has to be a buying club and the player has to want to go.

I always see comments like “ffs we should be getting rid” but it really is not that easy, especially for the players we have that are a bit washed up and on high salaries
Not sure about that.
We can be far more ruthless than we actually are. Casemiro’s case is a bit extreme because of his age and wages, but for someone like Sancho or Wan-Bissaka, for example - freeze him out, leave him out of tour, show him he’s not part of the future and is not going to feature going forward.

Now, obviously, reduces your leverage in the negotiations, but there aren’t any right now anyway.

I remember when Pep came to City, finished barely 4th, and on the day the season ended, they released like 7 players or something. Very contrasting to how we operate.

We just finished 8th, the worst season in our lifetimes and the only person involved in this that actually left is Varane and he was hardly one of the culprits. I don’t see any consequences to that. To start the season with this same group is very underwhelming, I must say.

Whilst I would still sell provided an acceptable offer came in, I don’t think that goal against Arsenal when havertz scored is something that can be used against him. Was quite evident he was playing in a role he’s not comfortable or used to. I’d only really judge from the games played in midfield

Not sure what your point is here, he was having to play as a CB because of injuries. Obviously not a role he’s comfortable in.
A DM filling in at CB couldn't possibly grasp when to sprint out with the other defenders to avoid playing everyone onside.

Well he’s not going to say, “I’m desperate to sell the old tractor”

Not sure about that.
We can be far more ruthless than we actually are. Casemiro’s case is a bit extreme because of his age and wages, but for someone like Sancho or Wan-Bissaka, for example - freeze him out, leave him out of tour, show him he’s not part of the future and is not going to feature going forward.

Now, obviously, reduces your leverage in the negotiations, but there aren’t any right now anyway.

I remember when Pep came to City, finished barely 4th, and on the day the season ended, they released like 7 players or something. Very contrasting to how we operate.

We just finished 8th, the worst season in our lifetimes and the only person involved in this that actually left is Varane and he was hardly one of the culprits. I don’t see any consequences to that. To start the season with this same group is very underwhelming, I must say.
We did freeze Sancho out for ten whole months. He's still here.

And City released players at the end of their contracts. Asking us to release Sancho, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro et al is asking us to pay tens of millions of pounds to terminate contracts when we're navigating a cashflow problem.

Talk about wanting to cut off your nose to spite your face.

No evidence of that.
To be fair, there's no evidence against it either.

Personally I expect it'll be somewhere in the middle. Casemiro will go on to be a fair bit better than he was last season, while still being relatively easy to upgrade further. In the two preseason matches so far ETH has gone back to a more normal midfield set-up, and I would hope that our defence will push higher than it did last season. That will make it a much easier job for our #6, rather than the suicidal tactics that we used last season where you could have had the lovechild of Kante, Keane and Makelele and they wouldn't have been able to cover that space.

To be fair, there's no evidence against it either.

Personally I expect it'll be somewhere in the middle. Casemiro will go on to be a fair bit better than he was last season, while still being relatively easy to upgrade further. In the two preseason matches so far ETH has gone back to a more normal midfield set-up, and I would hope that our defence will push higher than it did last season. That will make it a much easier job for our #6, rather than the suicidal tactics that we used last season where you could have had the lovechild of Kante, Keane and Makelele and they wouldn't have been able to cover that space.

I think we need at least one new set of legs in that midfield at the very minimum. With the exact same set of players it's hard to imagine we're not going to run into the same issues even if ETH sets it up a little differently. At the end of the day there's three and Bruno is one of them... Unless a fit Mount somehow make them all click.

I think his best position isn’t the one we want him to perform in unfortunately. As an aggressive DM in his time at Madrid he could close down space or the players and if caught out of position had the legs to get back without much issue. Quality around him helped of course.

However now, when not at his sharpest, he gets caught between actions and teams play around him or he lunges in. If he just sat, broke up play and kept it simple he could have a role. Not as the sole sitting midfielder in the squad for me though. He would be back up and for experience.

He is in £350k a week - we can’t just leave him around playing sparingly - he has 2 years left on his contract - he is going to cost us £32m alone in wages if he stays.
Problem is Casemerio only leaves if another club is at least willing to match his current wages for next 2 years AND tack on an extra year or 2 at close to same wages. Every club saw the same deficienes that your fans witnessed last season so the sporting value for that financial outlay does not make sense for most...with the Saudis being the exception. But do no expect a "decent" transfer fee on top. Just accept the financial loss and plan around like we did with Pepe

Well he’s not going to say, “I’m desperate to sell the old tractor”
Exactly. These type of statements mean nothing really. "Player who currently plays for Manchester United has a role to play in the upcoming season".

I'm happy to keep Casemeiro. He was excellent in the first season here. He suffered last season because of ETH crazy basketball tactics.

He will be fine once all the players are back and ETH use "normal" tactics again.
I’ve seen a few people say this; however, my recollection is that he was average to poor in the second half of that season.

I agree to a some degree. His rapid decline was definitely partially down to the tactics. I am just not sure what makes you think they will change?

I’ve seen a few people say this; however, my recollection is that he was average to poor in the second half of that season.

After also starting the season very slowly.

He did have an excellent 3-4 months though, but even during that there were signs, the constant diving in recklessly which many excused by blaming a ref agenda.

However like any of the midfielders he would obviously bring more value if Ten Hag stops setting up midfield as incompetently as he did last season.

Give him away. Offer him to Saudi for no transfer fee. Just getting his wages off the books is 18 mil saved and hopefully frees us up enough to move for another option.

Agree. That salary and the drop of from a wonderful first season is sad to see,not seen anybody bar big injuries decline to such a degree.

What are people talking about also with "if we play 3 cbs" "be good in a double pivot" "It was Ten Hags tactics".......come on now. So many of his physical attributes have dropped even say 10% that he is fouling on tackles he would win, losing the ball turning where he would break free.

His passing range, shooting,heading is all still there but as you say....£350k a week, thanks for the best cm season since Keane, you were great.....but we have to get him off the books, not just for the wages.....but because he isnt good enough now

Give him away. Offer him to Saudi for no transfer fee. Just getting his wages off the books is 18 mil saved and hopefully frees us up enough to move for another option.

Giving him away when he cost £70m only 2 years ago is a massive cost towards FFP. If the Club amortized his value over say 5 years, then there is still £42m on the book and the club still has to pay most of the £70m to Real Madrid still.

we can’t - it would result in a 30m accounting loss, limiting our spending power drastically

Or this.

If he stays he'll be better than a lot of people will expect. A better backline behind him will cover him too.

This isn't how any well run business treats its employees, These are people we are talking about, people who have friends all over the club and throughout the game.

Do you imagine these tactics would make us an attractive club to potential signings, or motivate the players we have here to give 110% for a manager ?