Bruno Fernandes Out?

But Rashford and Bruno aren't on that list. They're all players that either aren't good enough or need to be replaced anyway due to age, amongst other things.

Regardless of how people feel about Rashford and Bruno, they've been our best two attacking players in terms of goals and assists over the last several seasons. Bruno is our top scorer this season, despite it probably being his worst since he joined the club.

These aren't two players you can get rid of and not replace with someone of at least the same quality. That's going to cost money, so it's extremely unlikely you'd come out of that better off, especially going into a season without UCL (or any European football for that matter) which will reduce our ability to attract the best rising stars over our traditional rivals and the oil rich.
Of course they are, they are included in the wage reductions regardless of whether they are sold or not.

Depends on how advanced the negotiations are and what the relationship is like between the two negotiating parties. Everything suggests that the relationship between Ratcliffe/INEOS is very good and it's quite plausible that during the negotiations it was a stipulation of Ratcliffe/INEOS. After all the Glazers actively wanted to sell and we now know that INEOS was probably the only viable buyer with how they wanted to remain in some capacity.

I don't believe it is uncommon at all for a selling party to tighten finances up whilst in the process of a sale.

So who would have decided that Mount is a good enough and the right replacement for Bruno long term?

Mainoo is 18 :lol:

Odegaard is light years better than Bruno. Both at ball retention and leading the press.

Liverpool's midfield has never been great and is designed around doing all the donkey work for the full backs. They still managed to sign 4 midfielders in one window who would all walk into our starting eleven.
That is probably not true. They are different kind of players. Odegaard is the control type of #8, better at dictate tempo. Bruno is a monster in creating chances. It is down to the manager setup the team and tweat the tactics to bring the best out of these players. Every player has his strength and weakness. No player is perfect.

Mainoo is 18 :lol:

Odegaard is light years better than Bruno. Both at ball retention and leading the press.

Liverpool's midfield has never been great and is designed around doing all the donkey work for the full backs. They still managed to sign 4 midfielders in one window who would all walk into our starting eleven.

Such an awful take that I'm beginning to feel like I'm wasting my time here with someone who lives in an alternate reality

Bruno is light years ahead of Odegaard in creativity and chance creation. Mentioning ball retention to boost the argument for a number 10 that's supposed to be a chance creation machine but can't tie the laces of Bruno or KDB in that regard. Why is ball retention, pass completion percentage, etc. never brought up against the Belgian?

Which Liverpool midfielders walk into the United eleven?

Yes but Bruno is a master at creating chances on paper. For whatever reason they dont translate into goals. And before you say it's just our finishing, remember that Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus are the opposite of prolific.

In the last two seasons Bruno has 0.39 non-penalty goals + assists per game. Odegaard has 0.53. This season alone it's 0.38 vs 0.63.
Football is a team sport. You are as good as the teammates and the head coach in your team. For whatever reason Utd is not well oiled in the past 10 years. I won't say Odegaard is light years ahead of Bruno, they are just different. Bruno is seriously under-rated here.

You just seem a bit deluded, but that's okay.

As per previous post. Odegaard = More goals, more assists, more control, better ball retenton, better pressing, better player.

All of Liverpool's midfielders would walk into our eleven ahead of Casemiro, or others if we played a normal system with an actual midfield.

You're the one that's deluded, but this place is an echo chamber for these kind of takes where every player that plays for a rival is "light years ahead" of our players in the same position, so have fun living in this alternative reality I guess.

Yes and Odegaard is probably the single biggest factor in Arsenal's ascendency. Closely followed by Saliba and now Rice.

If we swapped Bruno for Odegaard we'd be a much better football team instantly.
I will say Josh + Arteta + Edu are the biggest factor.

We need to shift all of our creativity to the wings anyways like all the big clubs not the centre of the pitch.

Bruno is a fantastic player but end of the day 3 players who recycle the ball well in the middle are needed despite his obvious superior attacking assets.

We need to get what Bruno delivers on the wings which protects our defence from quick turnovers too. Hence why City concede so few goals as did Barcelona last season to be fair to Xavi.

This end to end style despite been super entertaining from time to time isn’t how you consistently win titles. Ask liverpool.

It's usually an echo chamber for wildly overrating United players, but okay if you say so.

Odegaard isn't every player, he's the best player in a team that is literally light years ahead of us.

The closest Bruno will ever get to winning a league title is being sold the season before Sporting won their only league title in 20 years. No coincidence.

Odegaard is the 4th best and most important player for Arsenal at best.

The bolded part would be a good wind-up attempt but I'm not sure if you're joking or not at this point. Utterly clueless.

Yes but Bruno is a master at creating chances on paper. For whatever reason they dont translate into goals. And before you say it's just our finishing, remember that Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus are the opposite of prolific.

In the last two seasons Bruno has 0.39 non-penalty goals + assists per game. Odegaard has 0.53. This season alone it's 0.38 vs 0.63.

Am I missing something here? Forget all your decimal point stats. Bruno has 10 goals and 7 assists compared to Odegaards 8 and 8. Not to mention infinitely better stats for his club.

Bruno has to function in our dysfunctional team while Odegaard has the luxury of operating in a functional Arsenal side.

Even if you prefer Odegaard, saying he’s light years ahead at ball retention and pressing but not at the stats that matter in his position is so disingenuous.

How much of a fee is acceptable or reasonable for Bruno Fernandes to leave? 50M north upwards? I mean, this guy is still in his prime. It’s madness that the club is even considering to allow him to leave. They should be shutting down this rumour immediately in my opinion

Of course they are, they are included in the wage reductions regardless of whether they are sold or not.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or not...

I was responding to a post about selling Bruno and Rashford to save money in wages. The wage reduction clause they all have in their contracts has nothing to do with the argument about whether they should be sold or not.

I was responding to a post about selling Bruno and Rashford to save money in wages. The wage reduction clause they all have in their contracts has nothing to do with the argument about whether they should be sold or not.
Why the fans are so concerned with the wages when Utd has the most revenue in EPL? Your wage to revenue ratio is among the lowest in the league if i remember correctly. You guys are all accountants?

Why the fans are so concerned with the wages when Utd has the most revenue in EPL? Your wage to revenue ratio is among the lowest in the league if i remember correctly. You guys are all accountants?

I don't know tbh mate. It's almost as annoying as trying to win the 'net spend' league.

I can entertain the argument that selling at least one of Bruno and Rashford might help the team evolve tactically, but thinking it would somehow save money is mental

Out: Bruno, Ericsen, Case

In: Tchmoumeni, Wirtz

I love Bruno, but that works for me

Well, I'm concerned with it because a wage bill where the top earners aren't contributing, or even holding the team back, can be very detrimental to your finances and transfer policy. However, it has gotten way more manageable recently. Ronaldo, Pogba and De Gea left. Varane, Martial and potentially Casemiro will follow. This will allow us to rebuild the team better than having to play 300k/week or more to players who don't deserve it.

However, since we are the biggest club in the PL with the biggest revenues, that means that a United team that's able to compete for the PL every season should have the highest wage bill in the league. However, that hasn't been the case for a long time.

It's usually an echo chamber for wildly overrating United players, but okay if you say so.

Odegaard isn't every player, he's the best player in a team that is literally light years ahead of us.

The closest Bruno will ever get to winning a league title is being sold the season before Sporting won their only league title in 20 years. No coincidence.
Has Odegaard won a league title at Arsenal? I don’t know if he did as a kid at Madrid, but he’s yet to prove he can win major honours, either.

Bruno is an amazing player. However his game is based on his work rate and at 29 years of age that flame is set to get weaker. We're on our route to a massive rebuilt which will take 2-3 years to complete. By that time Bruno will be 31-32 years of age. I don't want him to leave but if anyone offered us 80-100m then its a bid then must be considered.

How much of a fee is acceptable or reasonable for Bruno Fernandes to leave? 50M north upwards? I mean, this guy is still in his prime. It’s madness that the club is even considering to allow him to leave. They should be shutting down this rumour immediately in my opinion
Really!? He's 30 in September, is a luxury player who gives the ball away far too often and isn't good enough to play the role he does at the very top. If Saudi are throwing money at him it's a no-brainer! If someone offers £50million we have to get rid. I'd love to see Amad given the CAM role, I think he'd be a monster of a player in there.

The better idea is to do what Liverpool did essentially and sell our "Coutinho" and build an actual team that is a bit more workmanlike. We don't necessarily need quality to replace him. If the person that comes in helps the team function better then his contribution to the team can be lessened by the team overall contributing more.
That would be Mount, Mainoo and a new dm. I‘m not opposed to this, but selling Bruno at this point would be bonkers imo.

Rashford and or Bruno can be replaced for less than what they earn. Don't think that's an issue.

I would take 60m plus in a heartbeat. We need to move on from the majority of this team.

Rashford and or Bruno can be replaced for less than what they earn. Don't think that's an issue.

In wages perhaps, but probably not as much as you're expecting, and I'd be surprised if their transfer fees completely cover anything incoming. Look what we had to pay for a raw striker like Højlund.

What's most likely to happen is we replace them both with players who aren't as good as they are, yet. But hey ho who cares, we've saved on wages, good job lads! Pats on the back all around!

Last edited:
Yeah but there's no doubt they are a side worthy of being title challengers. In no small part because of Odegaard.

And if they weren't up against a financial doping monstrosity coached by the best manager in the world, they'd walk the league now and probably for the next couple of seasons.

So using your logic, if you swapped Odegaard with Bruno at Arsenal, they would suddenly not be able to compete for the title :lol:

You're totally lost

Can't blame him at all if he wants out. Other than backroom staff being changed there's nothing to suggest we won't be in the same position or worse next season. Bruno will be aware that EtH is probably staying and that we can't spend much, so he has to think of his future and stop wasting his time at some point.

If he goes though, we could be in real trouble. Without him we have no top level players at all, and with our amazing scouting which doesn't seem to have been massively overhauled yet (so could easily just be EtH picking players he knows) we could struggle to escape relegation with the squad we have now.

In wages perhaps, but probably not as much as you're expecting, and I'd be surprised if their transfer fees would cover in anything incoming. Look what we had to pay for a raw striker like Højlund.

What's most likely to happen is we replace them both with players who aren't as good as they are, yet. But hey ho who cares, we've saved on wages, good job lads! Pats on the back all around!
How much am I expecting?

Rashford alone would be a massive boost for our budget, he’s pure profit.

I think it's because we aren't getting value for money.
Your concern should be on the performance of the players, not the wages then. Like for like replacement for them are expensive as well and you won't save any money. Odegaard and Saka are earning £300,000/week. Cole Palmer will also get a bump in salary this summer I bet. I would assume the wage budget for Utd is there every season based on revenue, just like any other company out there. Replaced Rashford and Bruno for whatever reason is fine, but save money in wages is interesting.

Who's buying him? Can't sell a player nobody wants. His market value has probably never been so low.
Assuming we manage to find somebody interested I think the minimum the club would accept is ~£70 million.

After amortisation that’s £350 million we could spend just from that.

Your concern should be on the performance of the players, not the wages then. Like for like replacement for them are expensive as well and you won't save any money. Odegaard and Saka are earning £300,000/week. Cole Palmer will also get a bump in salary this summer I bet. I would assume the wage budget for Utd is there every season based on revenue, just like any other company out there.
They both get hand in hand. You don't mind paying top money if you are getting top performances. We aren't getting top performances, so you obviously begin to resent the players.

I think it'd be really difficult to find a buyer. By the start of next season, he'll be 30 years old. How many top years does he have left in him? How much will united be willing to let him go for? Which clubs could afford that number while also knowing there's no resale value on him? City won't. Chelsea are in a moneyball/youth revival. Bayern are stingy. Madrid don't need him. Barca are broke. PSG??? That's the only top club but I have no idea if they need a player like him. Otherwise it's off to Saudi if he agrees to it.

I think Bruno leaving is massively viable if a manager who values possession comes in. Great contributor to the team but at the expense of the team being consistent in the build up. I think Bruno out and Neves in to pair with Mainoo and a younger defensive midfielder, physically imposing behind them is a recipe for success.

It's not that Bruno is a bad player but depending on how the team will play next season it could be a benefit.

I think Bruno leaving , Bruno staying is so polarizing because of the type of player he is , moreso the type of player we have allowed him to be .

He's a creative force who has the most touches of the ball . The guy who has the most touches of the ball , as I see it , is the playmaker , he influences play style more than any other . That's where I feel we run into problems .

Bruno is a creative force but not a playmaker , he's an impactor , a guy who can decide a game in a moment . The best game I saw Bruno play was the Leipzig 5-0 . We were 1 up they were pushing & he came on and killed them . That is his piano forte , he's a unique momentarily decisive player who is not utilized correctly imo .

He's not odegard , odegard dominates an area of the pitch . He's not de bruyne , he can go wide and run powerfully and deliver a pinpoint ball , he's unique to us . There is no player like him & there is no team who plays like we do with him .

The way to get the best out of Bruno , is to make him part of the creative / attacking rotation , I just get the feeling we've gone beyond the point of him being able to be that without him feeling marginalized .

I think Bruno leaving is massively viable if a manager who values possession comes in. Great contributor to the team but at the expense of the team being consistent in the build up. I think Bruno out and Neves in to pair with Mainoo and a younger defensive midfielder, physically imposing behind them is a recipe for success.

It's not that Bruno is a bad player but depending on how the team will play next season it could be a benefit.
Doesn't Bayern value possession? How about Portugal?

If we had a team of players comfortable in possession, Bruno would absolutely thrive because he would be the ace that would give us that decisive edge in the final third.

We have a team with players who can't and a poor defensive structure, so when he takes risks, it's exacerbated by the fact that most other players are just as loose with the ball but don't offer the same threat.
I'm not absolving him of responsibility because he does need a manager who would keep him disciplined in terms of keeping to the structure and not playing completely off emotion and instinct like he does here, however, I think in some misguided attempt to stick to the United DNA of taking risks, it's encouraged