Bruno Fernandes Out?

Under ETH we'd look even more clueless without Bruno, so the prospect of losing Bruno and keeping ETH is frightening. And this is coming from somebody that recognises all of Bruno's issues. I don't think we'd look too dissimilar to LVG United right now if we lost Bruno.

Florian Wirtz isn't going to be going to the 8th placed team in England anyway. Much more likely to end up at City when DeBruyne's motor gives out.

We are kidding ourselves if we think we can replace Bruno with similar quality. The team will have to be reshaped to accommodate his loss. Heaven knows how we will attract the requisite quality in our current shape.

No he wouldn't. But we have a season now to show progress and that is Ineos most important job, to make us a desired destination again.

We're losing games without DVB and Elanga too, doesn't mean they were good enough.
Nobody said anything about being good enough though did they? We’re talking about people saying he’s one of the main problems.

The only justification to sell him is PSR or else he wants out. If we managed to sell Bruno Varane and Casemiro and brought in 5 players with high potential then we might end up being a more rounded team overall.
There’s only 1 player who I wouldn’t mind replacing him with right now and that’s Eze from palace. He’s probably a better system player but he still won’t produce the goals and assist that Bruno does.

I wonder if we bought Mount knowing that we would try and shift Bruno this year. We promised to give him ample time this year and allow him to settle in properly but he just got unlucky with a few injuries.

Nobody said anything about being good enough though did they? We’re talking about people saying he’s one of the main problems.

Ah my bad then. I was responding to you saying they're not the problem, rather than not the main problem. I think they're part of the problem, just not the most important part to resolve this summer unless an opportunity comes up that's too good to refuse.

A lot of the posts in this thread are weird, in that it seems like a common line of thought here that it’s the club that wants to sell Bruno? It seems more likely that he wants to leave

I wonder if we bought Mount knowing that we would try and shift Bruno this year. We promised to give him ample time this year and allow him to settle in properly but he just got unlucky with a few injuries.

Have you seen anything resembling such foresight at United in the last decade?

I can not actually think of a club in Europe right now that has the financial mean to meet Man Utd's asking price for a 29 year old #10. May as well do a combo deal selling Bruno + Rashford + Casemiro to Saudi for 250m.

A lot of the posts in this thread are weird, in that it seems like a common line of thought here that it’s the club that wants to sell Bruno? It seems more likely that he wants to leave
That is how I read it. He is tired of the sport project in Utd.

Surely he must be exploring his options, turns 30 in a few months, probably no European football next season and we are at least 2-3 years away from competing at the top of the table.

They weren't changing yet last summer, when we bought Mount, so there was surely no such plan.
You might have missed it, but there was a 12+ month sale process and some lad called Jim bought a percentage of the club in February (after the summer)
Now he is trying to effect a change at the club by hiring competent experienced people in key positions. I know, madness, right?!!

They weren't changing yet last summer, when we bought Mount, so there was surely no such plan.
Disagree actually, I think INEOS were already dictating things last summer to an extent, which is why we went for the loans of Reguilon and Amrabat and have focused a lot on moving players on so our balance sheet and numbers for this window is better.

That doesn't specifically relate to Mount but Bruno is 30 this year and I think they already rebuffed offers last year from Saudi. Anyone who has ever watched him could easily say, with how he plays the game and the amount of physicality it requires it's only a matter of time before he drops off a cliff because he has played a LOT of football.

I think Mount being English, approaching prime age, more of a team player and can fit into different systems and roles more than Bruno. I think they were thinking about this scenario when they bought Mount as a 'potential' replacement.

You might have missed it, but there was a 12+ month sale process and some lad called Jim bought a percentage of the club in February (after the summer)
Now he is trying to effect a change at the club by hiring competent experienced people in key positions. I know, madness, right?!!

You're missing something.

I responded to a post that claimed "I wonder if we bought Mount knowing that we would try and shift Bruno this year".

When we bought Mount, nearly a year ago, Ratcliffe and his people were not involved yet.

You're missing something.

I responded to a post that claimed "I wonder if we bought Mount knowing that we would try and shift Bruno this year".

When we bought Mount, nearly a year ago, Ratcliffe and his people were not involved yet.
You don’t think the manager would have any ideas on succession planning for his squad?

Disagree actually, I think INEOS were already dictating things last summer to an extent, which is why we went for the loans of Reguilon and Amrabat and have focused a lot on moving players on so our balance sheet and numbers for this window is better.

We went for those loans because we didn't have money to spend on anything.

Who in INEOS would have been dictating such things? There was no Ashworth, no Wilcos, no Berrada. Who would have said "let's buy Mount because we'll sell Bruno in a year's time"?

Wishful thinking is nice, but it's not connected to reality in this case.

We went for those loans because we didn't have money to spend on anything.

Who in INEOS would have been dictating such things? There was no Ashworth, no Wilcos, no Berrada. Who would have said "let's buy Mount because we'll sell Bruno in a year's time"?

Wishful thinking is nice, but it's not connected to reality in this case.
It's not wishful thinking at all mate. They were in advanced negotiations at the time and wanted tight control on incomings/outgoings to help us this year with the PSR limits.

Letting go of Bruno would be a huge mistake. He's pretty much the only player in the squad that comes close to a WC player, and he's a big role model for younger fans.

If true, and he does want to leave, then let him. He gave us his best and I've nothing but admiration for him. As I said previously, I don't really want him to leave, but I guess there's going to be difficult times either way whilst the squad is retooled.

And what if the INEOS bid fell through , then what ?

Mount was signed by ETH to play the 8 role alongside Bruno plus team depth. That's it.
Now, if Bruno does leave this summer then we have a decent back up in Mount but the Englishman being a replacement now wasn't in design.

It would need to be massive money. 9 figures minimum.

We're well and truly fecked if that was the plan all along.

It's not wishful thinking at all mate. They were in advanced negotiations at the time and wanted tight control on incomings/outgoings to help us this year with the PSR limits.

Of course it's wishful thinking. You don't give someone control over multi-million decisions just because you're in negotiations with him.

And again, who in INEOS would have made that decision? They clearly want to bring in football people to decide such matter. Who in INEOS, in the summer of 2023, could have decided Mount is worth investing tons of money in?

This would make my summer, he’s a great professional but a complete liability unfortunately in midfield, we need a complete overhaul and reset right now. Given his age, wages, and the status he would require within the team which doesn’t correspond with his abilities on the pitch it is essential we sell him. Same as Rashford basically.

If we do sell him, and I do think it is a big if... it shows we are thinking differently as a club. His value will only decline from here on in. His output cannot be replaced but maybe his style has only furthered the chaotic performances over the past few years. Interesting times.

Of course it's wishful thinking. You don't give someone control over multi-million decisions just because you're in negotiations with him.

And again, who in INEOS would have made that decision? They clearly want to bring in football people to decide such matter. Who in INEOS, in the summer of 2023, could have decided Mount is worth investing tons of money in?
Depends on how advanced the negotiations are and what the relationship is like between the two negotiating parties. Everything suggests that the relationship between Ratcliffe/INEOS is very good and it's quite plausible that during the negotiations it was a stipulation of Ratcliffe/INEOS. After all the Glazers actively wanted to sell and we now know that INEOS was probably the only viable buyer with how they wanted to remain in some capacity.

I don't believe it is uncommon at all for a selling party to tighten finances up whilst in the process of a sale.

Whatever flaws bruno has to his game are greatly outweighed by his contributions. We just don’t create enough and don’t have any suitable players in the squad to replace him nor can we stretch the budget for enough when we arguably need 2 CBs and 2 CMs as part of the summer recruitment. I would keep Bruno another 2 years before finding his long term replacement.

You don’t think the manager would have any ideas on succession planning for his squad?

Not this manager.

ETH has never had any intention of losing Bruno and Rashford. And still doesn’t. I seriously doubt he wants to lose Varane or Casemiro either. Both were vital to papering over cracks last season. Varane especially is vital when Martinez plays because of his aerial dominance.

Mount was signed for the reason we all assumed, to replace Eriksen in a new system. It was just a horrible, horrible plan.

I think Bruno will definitely leave in the summer, don't blame him really - he's running out of time to collect some big trophies to show for his career. He's been a great servant so no hard feelings from me. Hopefully we can get a good amount of funds in for the rebuild.

Bruno is a good footballer but doesn’t suit the kind of football great teams play or the football I personally want to see us play. Having said that our options are crap and he’s our best player so selling him doesn’t make sense unless you have someone superb lined up. And while FDJ is good, his reluctance to come here is a huge issue especially when you compare it to Bruno who is always available, always leaves everything on the pitch and our captain. So this doesn’t sense imo.

I agree with you about Bruno but not about Rashford. You should have never mention Rashford’s name in the same argument as Bruno in your initial post.
Fair enough. I did then go on to say that I’d sell Rashford but keep Bruno.

We will save a huge amount of money

But Rashford and Bruno aren't on that list. They're all players that either aren't good enough or need to be replaced anyway due to age, amongst other things.

Regardless of how people feel about Rashford and Bruno, they've been our best two attacking players in terms of goals and assists over the last several seasons. Bruno is our top scorer this season, despite it probably being his worst since he joined the club.

These aren't two players you can get rid of and not replace with someone of at least the same quality. That's going to cost money, so it's extremely unlikely you'd come out of that better off, especially going into a season without UCL (or any European football for that matter) which will reduce our ability to attract the best rising stars over our traditional rivals and the oil rich.

Not this manager.

ETH has never had any intention of losing Bruno and Rashford. And still doesn’t. I seriously doubt he wants to lose Varane or Casemiro either. Both were vital to papering over cracks last season. Varane especially is vital when Martinez plays because of his aerial dominance.

Mount was signed for the reason we all assumed, to replace Eriksen in a new system. It was just a horrible, horrible plan.
But it was a plan so that still proves the point. :smirk:

Struggling to see how Inter could afford him.

They'd probably need to break their transfer record, as well as make him their highest earner...but he would be their best player. However, his age would have to be factored in and I don't see how Inter would go above and beyond for a 30 year old player. If he was 25, sure, but I don't see any Italian teams breaking the bank for him at this point.

I'd sell Mount before Bruno. If anyone would bid £30-40m for him. They're on very similar wages.

As much as I recognise Bruno is not good enough to be part of a title winning team, it would be jarring to sell him and "expect" Mount to step up and fill his shoes when Mount is a pseudo-footballer. Like Shaw, he will probably spend the rest of his United with a revolving door of injuries.

That's nothing but a RedCafe and LUHG brigade myth, though...if you said not good enough to start for a title winning team, that still wouldn't be true...not good enough to be part of one is an even more ridiculous thing to say

This should be a cautionary tale over waiting too long and allowing standards to drop so low he's probably thinking he only has a few years left at the top and he's not going to waste it trying to rebuild under a useless manager knowing that they're not going to get anywhere he probably has seen the standards from Ronaldo from his time here and in Portugal camp and he probably thinks that if ten hag is sticking around then there's no point in him staying.

He knows that we won't win anything fair play to him we're not going to be winning a Cup next season we're probably not even going to finish top four.

It would need a huge sum for us to part with Bruno, but a huge sum would do it I think. I wouldn't say he's unsellable. Obviously the worry is that we sell a reliable performer and buy 3 injury crocked part timers. That would suck. But if the club is turning around its recruitment, we could revamp a couple of positions at once with the money from Bruno. And while Bruno is among our best players, there is a question mark about whether he's the style of footballer we want. If the aim is to introduce control into our play, that doesn't necessarily play to Bruno's strengths (even if his profligacy is often overstated).