View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lyng

Typical overreaction to a less than stellar performance by Bruno I see. :lol:

One view of last night is amply represented above, another is Bruno got one assist, should've had another for Rashford and clipped the top of the crossbar from a free kick that left the Sheff United keeper rooted. With a fair wind he ends last night with three goal contributions.

Was it his best game? No. I actually felt, especially in the first half, he was trying to force opportunities for Hojlund. There was more than one occassion when I felt he ignored Rashford to try and go centrally, when it was the wrong decision. However, as we got into the game after the half an hour mark he began to find Rashy with the ball in behind Sheff Utd's right back.
The issue is how he constantly lost the ball. We are consistently having to spent extra energy winning the ball back after Bruno or Antony needlessly give it away.
It's no coincidence that regained control when Eriksen came on.
Bruno has been exceptionally bad at finding Højlund and yesterday was a repeat though at least he tried this game. But as you said he chose the wrong moments to do it.
Also the assist was a shitty ball to nowhere that McT somehow managed to control and score from.

Jeffthered

Is beginning to define all that is wrong at Man Utd. He should be relieved of captaincy (that role needs to be shared until a genuine captain emerges at the club). He lacks any capacity, or interest, in inspiring us... doing much at all.

Needs to be dropped and needs ETH to get him right (again). But I don't see that happening.

Marwood

Bruno's worst spell of form since he arrived.

I really don't get ETH though. You've just spent £60 million on Mount. You don't have to always play Bruno anymore. If Mount doesn't get a game ahead of Bruno now when will he.

Pronewbie

Peep
Glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by Bruno especially in the 1st half. The number of times he pointlessly gave the ball away cheaply when there were better, safer options was just incredibly stupid and annoying.

RedStarUnited

Bruno's worst spell of form since he arrived.

I really don't get ETH though. You've just spent £60 million on Mount. You don't have to always play Bruno anymore. If Mount doesn't get a game ahead of Bruno now when will he.
He has been bad for about 18 months now. He is just really really bad now.

As people have mentioned in the last page, the much maligned Pogba was never this bad.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Curse of the captain. Hes been terrible and needs to be benched

Marwood

He has been bad for about 18 months now. He is just really really bad now.

As people have mentioned in the last page, the much maligned Pogba was never this bad.
How are we still going on about Pogba? Not just yourself but others as well.

neon_badger

The argument that suggests he should be exempt from criticism because the whole team is bad "it's not just him" is becoming frustrating. He's captain so should be held to a higher standard, he's played more minutes so should be held to a higher standard, and most importantly he occupies the best position on the pitch to really influence a game, I can see how our defender's get dragged down by a bad team performance, likewise our attacking players feeding of scraps but this doesn't apply to Bruno, we've seen great creative midfielders shine in poor teams with drive and influence. He makes a poor team weaker.

flameinthesun

How are we still going on about Pogba? Not just yourself but others as well.
Why not? When talking about the midfield people reference Fred, Carrick, Herrera etc. why is it strange to reference a player who played for united in midfield whose role was to progress the ball from deep when talking about bruno playing deeper whose role it seems has changed a bit to try and get better progression from deep?

In context of Bruno it seems Ten Hag wants him to try and create from a deeper position. The problem is I don't think he's that good deeper. His passing is inconsistent, his positioning is inconsistent, defensively he's all over the place. The reason why Pogba (as maligned as he was by some of the fan base) could progress from deep was because he had both an amazing passing range and the ability to dribble past players, both which results in the progression of the ball. Whilst not at the same level passing amd dribbling wise, De Jong is another type of player that can progress the ball through passing or dribbling. Bruno doesn't really have that, in fact none of the midfielders have that bar maybe Mainoo who is still untested.

MDFC Manager

The argument that suggests he should be exempt from criticism because the whole team is bad "it's not just him" is becoming frustrating. He's captain so should be held to a higher standard, he's played more minutes so should be held to a higher standard, and most importantly he occupies the best position on the pitch to really influence a game, I can see how our defender's get dragged down by a bad team performance, likewise our attacking players feeding of scraps but this doesn't apply to Bruno, we've seen great creative midfielders shine in poor teams with drive and influence. He makes a poor team weaker.
fecking hell, this is a great post!

Hammondo

Why not? When talking about the midfield people reference Fred, Carrick, Herrera etc. why is it strange to reference a player who played for united in midfield whose role was to progress the ball from deep when talking about bruno playing deeper whose role it seems has changed a bit to try and get better progression from deep?

In context of Bruno it seems Ten Hag wants him to try and create from a deeper position. The problem is I don't think he's that good deeper. His passing is inconsistent, his positioning is inconsistent, defensively he's all over the place. The reason why Pogba (as maligned as he was by some of the fan base) could progress from deep was because he had both an amazing passing range and the ability to dribble past players, both which results in the progression of the ball. Whilst not at the same level passing amd dribbling wise, De Jong is another type of player that can progress the ball through passing or dribbling. Bruno doesn't really have that, in fact none of the midfielders have that bar maybe Mainoo who is still untested.
I don't see how De Jong isn't the better player.

flameinthesun

I don't see how De Jong isn't the better player.
In terms of De Jong v Pogba or De Jong v Bruno? I think at their peak for me Pogba was better than both. I really like De Jong but a peak Pogba was more talented for me but De Jong definitely better at the defensive aspects. I think the main point is that both are capable of progression through passing and dribbling, which I think Bruno is not capable of. To me the only way to solve progression through a packed opposition's midfield is to either have fantastic team positioning and movement or to have players who can take the ball in tight spaces, dribble and pass. The likes of Foden, B and D silva, De Bruyne, Odegaard, De Jong, those players can all do the above. We just lack those types of midfielders, with Pogba being the closest we've had to that type of player and even then half the time he'd get outnumbered.

Hammondo

In terms of De Jong v Pogba or De Jong v Bruno? I think at their peak for me Pogba was better than both. I really like De Jong but a peak Pogba was more talented for me but De Jong definitely better at the defensive aspects. I think the main point is that both are capable of progression through passing and dribbling, which I think Bruno is not capable of. To me the only way to solve progression through a packed opposition's midfield is to either have fantastic team positioning and movement or to have players who can take the ball in tight spaces, dribble and pass. The likes of Foden, B and D silva, De Bruyne, Odegaard, De Jong, those players can all do the above. We just lack those types of midfielders, with Pogba being the closest we've had to that type of player and even then half the time he'd get outnumbered.
De Jong dictates play, is very intelligent with the ball, and doesn't go missing often. 3 things that were not true of Pogba.

I don't think Pogba was the type of player you are describing, I think he was more like Gerrard or Wesley Sneijder.

RuudTom83

I love Bruno, but when he is off, he is awful...spamming passes back to the opposition is bad enough, but add the pointing and telling others (who are not being as wasteful) where they should be passing the ball makes him intolerable at times

Last edited:

flameinthesun

De Jong dictates play, is very intelligent with the ball, and doesn't go missing often. 3 things that were not true of Pogba.

I don't think Pogba was the type of player you are describing, I think he was more like Gerrard or Wesley Sneijder.
Depends how you define intelligence with the ball. In terms of intelligence from a creativity, progression and attacking perspective its not even close, whereas in terms of dictating a game both are very good at it, I wouldn't argue if you say De Jong is better at dictating play though. At the end of the day he doesn't have the ability of a Pogba or Gerrard (who could dictate play when he wanted). De Jong has received plenty of criticism for disappearing for Barca in games as well. But whose better is not the point I was making, more that united lack a player in either mould as its clear none of our midfielders can progress the ball from deep and as good as Bruno is in the no 10 role, having him deeper just highlights his deficiencies.

Nickelodeon

Ten Hag isn’t really giving any opportunity to see how we play without Bruno. The only game we’ve had this season where we controlled the game for majority of the 90 mins was in the cup where Bruno didn’t play (albeit against a weak Palace). And the fact he doesn’t even get subbed is a cherry on top. The give away in stoppage time to give Sheffield another opportunity reeked of arrogance and lack of control we need from our primary midfielder.

Hammondo

Depends how you define intelligence with the ball. In terms of intelligence from a creativity, progression and attacking perspective its not even close, whereas in terms of dictating a game both are very good at it, I wouldn't argue if you say De Jong is better at dictating play though. At the end of the day he doesn't have the ability of a Pogba or Gerrard (who could dictate play when he wanted). De Jong has received plenty of criticism for disappearing for Barca in games as well. But whose better is not the point I was making, more that united lack a player in either mould as its clear none of our midfielders can progress the ball from deep and as good as Bruno is in the no 10 role, having him deeper just highlights his deficiencies.
I don't think Pogba ever dictated play, it's one of the reasons we kept changing his position, he could fulfill any fully.

Pogba was only good at dictating attacking play if it was obvious and layed out for him. Just look at the Europa League final to see how clueless he was when he had to actually dictate something, he was a nothing player that game.

flameinthesun

I don't think Pogba ever dictated play, it's one of the reasons we kept changing his position, he could fulfill any fully.

Pogba was only good at dictating attacking play if it was obvious and layed out for him. Just look at the Europa League final to see how clueless he was when he had to actually dictate something, he was a nothing player that game.
As were the whole team in that final, you could easily point to his France performances to see examples of him running games. We never really changed his position, for the majority of his time at united he played in a two. To bring it back to Bruno, the point is that he's not capable of doing what Pogba and De Jong could do in a deeper role.

Hammondo

As were the whole team in that final, you could easily point to his France performances to see examples of him running games. We never really changed his position, for the majority of his time at united he played in a two. To bring it back to Bruno, the point is that he's not capable of doing what Pogba and De Jong could do in a deeper role.
I do not think you could.

No Bruno cannot do anything like that, he's either played in his current position or there is no point to him.

Holocene

Myself personally I'd sign four players if I was in charge of recruitment. Todibo and Amadou Onana along with Ousmane Diomande and Arthur Vermeeren would be the players I target. Todibo I first mentioned on the Caf when he was a teenager playing for Toulouse.

All four players are realistic targets and they have the potential to collectively raise the technical level in possession, as well as having the ability to dominate defensive transitions. Todibo I'd sign as a RB/RCB who starts wide but tucks inside to form a 3 man defense in a higher defensive line.

So my midfield 3 would be Onana and Vermeeren occupying holding roles in a double pivot in the build up phase . With Mount as the advanced central midfielder. I think next season will be Bruno's last season as a regular starter.
Quoting you in the Bruno thread since I didn't want to hijack the Amrabat thread.

What makes you think next season will be Bruno's last as a regular starter?

Marwood

Why not? When talking about the midfield people reference Fred, Carrick, Herrera etc. why is it strange to reference a player who played for united in midfield whose role was to progress the ball from deep when talking abut bruno playing deeper whose role it seems has changed a bit to try and get better progression from deep?

Because he hasnt been here for over a season. Because he wasn't performing all that well when he was here. Because his career since he left United has been an absolute shambles.

There's this leftover angst a number of posters have about Pogba they can't let go of and it's often directed at Bruno and the Bruno discussion.

I could understand if it was like when we sold Stam and replaced him with Blanc. But it's nothing like that.

Pogba is just a complete irrelevance to this thread. Or at least should be. As opposed to just randomly bringing him up with no real context.

flameinthesun

Because he hasnt been here for over a season. Because he wasn't performing all that well when he was here. Because his career since he left United has been an absolute shambles.

There's this leftover angst a number of posters have about Pogba they can't let go of and it's often directed at Bruno and the Bruno discussion.

I could understand if it was like when we sold Stam and replaced him with Blanc. But it's nothing like that.

Pogba is just a complete irrelevance to this thread. Or at least should be. As opposed to just randomly bringing him up with no real context.
Me and another poster literally just had a discussion about Bruno, De Jong and Pogba in relation to Bruno playing deeper...which is in context...of Bruno playing in a deeper role....closer to where both Pogba and De Jong have played...in the Bruno thread...quite ironic your rant though.

hobbers

Nobody will be giving him a massive pat on the back for how he played yesterday. Still, its actually a bit laughable to react so crazily to what he did yesterday.
Yesterday, and pretty much every game so far this season. And almost every away game last season. And most of the home games against top 6 sides last season.

Marwood

Me and another poster literally just had a discussion about Bruno, De Jong and Pogba in relation to Bruno playing deeper...which is in context...of Bruno playing in a deeper role....closer to where both Pogba and De Jong have played...in the Bruno thread...quite ironic your rant though.
I didn't respond to your discussion. I responded to a poster who randomly said "and people criticised Pogba."

I'm guessing you feel Pogba was harshly judged? Ok fair enough but spare us from the neverending grudge you guys have. Because that's what it's really about.

There must be a Pogba thread still going where you can do this.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Quoting you in the Bruno thread since I didn't want to hijack the Amrabat thread.

What makes you think next season will be Bruno's last as a regular starter?
I think the central attacking role requires positional and tactical discipline, technical security in possession which other players provide at a higher level. And in the game yesterday, he again attempted several low probability passes by trying to force the issue, which turned over possession unnecessarily. And that's one of the reasons why we can't sustain attacks imo. Bruno will score and assist goals but I feel his goals and assists come at the detriment of the team.

So I feel the priority in the next summer window is to buy a CB and midfielder, where I feel we will buy to raise the physical and athletic level of the team. And a year after that, I think it will be time to have a closer look at Bruno's position in the team. I think with the way the game is going it's highly advantageous to have players in midfield who have the the ability to evade the press and carry the ball forward. I think we badly lack in that area and when ten Hag arrived at the club he inherited a midfield of McTominay, Fred at the base with Bruno in a advanced central role. And all three players are lacking when it comes to evading pressure. And in the game today where there's a heavy focus on closing off the space and pressing high, it's important to have players who can evade the press via a carry/dribble.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Totally understand why people pick on him. All other players are doing skyrocket performances and our teamwork is amazing, he really looks like a fish out of water :angel:

flameinthesun

I didn't respond to your discussion. I responded to a poster who randomly said "and people criticised Pogba."

I'm guessing you feel Pogba was harshly judged? Ok fair enough but spare us from the neverending grudge you guys have. Because that's what it's really about.

There must be a Pogba thread still going where you can do this.
Again...the irony...nowhere in my post or the poster in the discussion did it mention people criticising...or judging him harshly...the only one displaying any emotion towards pogba...is you...which is funny...if you can't handle seeing a normal discussion, in the context of this thread that mentions Pogba then that's on you buddy.

Belisarius

I love Bruno, but when he has off, he is awful...spamming passes back to the opposition is bad enough, but add the pointing and telling others (who are not being as wasteful) where they should be passing the ball makes him intolerable at times
I also rate Bruno highly. But, I was screaming at him through the television yesterday. There was a play soon after McTominay scored that drove me crazy. We have been having trouble with opponents scoring soon after we score all season long. So, it would be wise to gain a little control after scoring our goal. We have Maguire, Evans and Amrabat playing the ball around at the back under no pressure. Instead of letting them continue to do it until Sheffield are forced to come out and press them and open some space behind, Bruno decides to run back and stand next to Evans and demand the ball. Evans duly passes it to Bruno who proceeds to hit a long left back to right front ball straight to the Sheffield fullback without a United player anywhere close. We then have two minutes of scrambling play that ends up in a penalty for Sheffield. He is just so brainless sometimes it drives me insane.

ItDoesntEvenMata

One for a stats wizard but given the amount of people who say 'Bruno has the highest *chances created, expect assists etc' as a carte blanche to ignore his obvious shortcomings and overall below par performances in the past 18 months, does anyone have any negative stats like ball losses leading to opposition chances? I'm willing to bet that if we had those statistics you'd see a much less promising statistical picture. He's an absolute liability to us as a defensive unit and kills loads of our attacks with Hollywood efforts that result in one or two half decent chances each game

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Some stats from that game

Pogba : touches 100, passes 87, completion 85%, long balls 11, accurate 8, key passes 1, interceptions 5, clearances 1, aerial duals won 4.

Bruno : touches 79, passes 54, completion 85%, long balls 4, accurate 1, key passes 0, interceptions 1, clearances 3, aerial duals won 0.

Funny that you’re in Bruno’s thread claiming Pogba was a nothing player in that game…because of the two of them, one of them had a much better game. Did the job asked of them. While the other did nothing. (Bruno played 15 mins longer also)

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Yesterday he lost the ball 24 times.

Many of us called it, the earlier Bruno leaves the better for the team.
Either him or ETH has to leave in next 12 months. We need to evolve into a modern team. If ETH can't do it then, we need a new person to do it.

We can't continue like this forever. Something has to give

reddev3

Yep. Surely by that logic he should be scoring against dross like Sheffield Utd. It’s not just the quality of the opposition.

Premiere league teams/games are miles more intense, look how slow and weak Ronaldo looked even against the weaker prem sides before he left and he has been ripping it up along with Bruno the last few international breaks.

The highest ranked country they have played in the last 5 games is Slovakia at 48th which tells you all you need to know (it's no comparison to playing the fastest/hardest league in the world).

philippexyz

Yesterday he lost the ball 24 times.

Many of us called it, the earlier Bruno leaves the better for the team.
Either him or ETH has to leave in next 12 months. We need to evolve into a modern team. If ETH can't do it then, we need a new person to do it.

We can't continue like this forever. Something has to give
Absolutely agreed.

KD6-3.7

Something has to give here. He can’t continue dropping performances like this and continue to play every single game. His passing and how often he gives the ball away in our own half causes so many dangerous situations for United.

It’s becoming more evident we need to drop him if this squad wants to play a consistent style of play or Bruno tries to stop playing the Hollywood pass every time he gets the ball but I don’t think either are likely right now.