View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saudi beckons. Get a proper good fee as well because he is an actually good player

Today, we see how dumb those chances created stats look. He created 6 "chances" today :lol:
It’s empty stats like these that fester, and in about a months time it’ll be posted in his defence from a Statman David tweet about how he has 10 more than Trent in second and that means he’s our best player

The manager should force him to play in a system, he does at Portugal

He has certain qualities that a system he wouldn't have to work that hard to create chances.

If he can't do that sell him.

It's unfortunate we don't have a captain at this club. His petulance is not captain material

I understand the criticism and I disagree with most of it. Perhaps that is shocking to you.

I agree that Bruno plays too many silly Hollywood passes (particularly on rainy days). I agree that Bruno isn't the most technically gifted compared many other midfielders at the highest level and that dribbling for instance is a non-existent part of his repertoire. No disagreements from me there.

A few examples of what I don't agree with:

- That he is not good enough to be a starter for a title winning team
- That he overall is a problem and that we should get rid of him
- That his weaknesses offset his strengths

I think that Bruno is a very good player. Possibly our best. And he's probably the last player in the team that I'd get rid of. I don't think that this is very high praise considering how mediocre our team is.

If this counts as an agenda to you, then so be it.

Good night to you too.
I wouldn't agree to all of these (bolded points) per se in their absolute form (so I see your issues with them) and actually I don't think, a lot of his critics would wholeheartedly sign them. My issue and what I consider to be the agenda, is that you and at least two other posters in here act as if those three points are the positions of all critics. Even though me and Rozay (he for sure more than I did) in the past have put in some detailed descriptions of what the issues are.

It is weird seeing posters complain about negativity in here when criticism is intentionally misunderstood or ignored, even made fun of when there was the occasional good game. This come across very differently then what you wrote after the bolded part.

I can’t remember Young getting intentionally booked to avoid playing in a mauling next weekend though .
Ah come on. We don't really think that this is what happened are we? He is emotional and gets carried away after a really bad day at the office, an afternoon where he got kicked quite a few times. To me losing his head like this fits his personality (the little aspects we "know" of) way better than some cunning move to not play against the scousers. If he is as smart as that, he probably is smart enough that bringing his manager under pressure won't necessarily help him in the future.

That's not what I said. Hitting a few Hollywood passes is fine if you are good enough. The issue is when it gets out of hand and you hit too many of them, which has been the tendency when Bruno plays poorly (almost exclusively on rough days when the whole team struggles). The reason for the passes might very well be a lack of trust in his team mates or simple desperation because we aren't performing well. The end result is still the same though.

But you seem uninterested in an actual discussion so I don't see the point in engaging further.

Oh the irony.
Seeing as there’s only posts slagging him off, I’ll say it, I’m a massive Bruno fan. He was crap today but he’s responsible for so much good (generally) whilst surrounded by consistent crap.

He does badly need a rest though, the suspension will do him good

Delighted he's missing the Pool game. Complete luxury player and a liability we can't afford right now. Far from the worst player today but still, just not what we need at the moment.

Delighted he's missing the Pool game. Complete luxury player and a liability we can't afford right now. Far from the worst player today but still, just not what we need at the moment.
Unfortunately it means McTominay definitely starts

I actually thought he was pretty good for the first 60mins or so. After that we as a team folded and we saw the bad traits come out.

I’ve stopped piling on Bruno to be honest. I’m just hoping the new footballing department see what we all see and realise he’s not someone we should be banking on going forward and buy serious competition for him with the intention of phasing him out.

My issue and what I consider to be the agenda, is that you and at least two other posters in here act as if those three points are the positions of all critics

To be fair, if anyone believes even just 1 of those 3 points I don't understand what they're watching. And I still think it's among the most baffling opinions I've seen as a football fan.

But disagreements are fine. It's just annoying when the negative posts outnumber the positive posts 5 to 1 even for a legitimately good player, but it is what it is. That is why I don't have that many posters on ignore. I have disagreed with you plenty for instance, but I haven't really considered putting you on ignore.

To be fair, if anyone believes even just 1 of those 3 points I don't understand what they're watching. And I still think it's among the most baffling opinions I've seen as a football fan.
I think, that is a rather absolute take. I mean, I agree with you, stating that Bruno cannot be part of title winning squad is crazy. He could be benched by City for example and would surely win stuff. I also think that a better team would find a way to isolate Bruno in a way, that his weaknesses are mitigated better.

I think, it isn't unfair to label him a problem. I mean, look at us. Look at where we are. It is clear that we have some problems. And there is not objective way to label somebody a problem or not - therefor it is a subjective and it shouldn't be seen as "baffling". Same goes more or less for his weaknesses balancing out his strength. This is highly subjective - this thread is the ultimate proof of that. Some are seemingly very much into great footballing moments, nice shots, great assists. Others are into numbers like chances created or key passes. Other on the other hand value possession more, number of possession losses. There is no right or wrong way. If one fan is happy with a crappy game as long as one moment of greatness occurs that is fine. But it is also fine to expect a good overall performance even without moments of brilliance.

But disagreements are fine. It's just annoying when the negative posts outnumber the positive posts 5 to 1 even for a legitimately good player, but it is what it is. That is why I don't have that many posters on ignore. I have disagreed with you plenty for instance, but I haven't really considered putting you on ignore.
This number is as high because we all make a such a good job of triggering ourselves. Feck me, I hated myself when typing the post to you a couple of hours ago but I just couldn't resist. I am sure, this is how a few posters in here feel and it is due to this debate being led so childishly on a couple of occasions. There are so many who come in here after a good game to enjoy their "what now" moment, it is only natural that the others will do the same thing as well. I don't gloat after bad performances. Maybe a few others can stop theirs as well. But I probably expect too much from such a place ^^

I think, that is a rather absolute take. I mean, I agree with you, stating that Bruno cannot be part of title winning squad is crazy. He could be benched by City for example and would surely win stuff. I also think that a better team would find a way to isolate Bruno in a way, that his weaknesses are mitigated better.

I think, it isn't unfair to label him a problem. I mean, look at us. Look at where we are. It is clear that we have some problems. And there is not objective way to label somebody a problem or not - therefor it is a subjective and it shouldn't be seen as "baffling". Same goes more or less for his weaknesses balancing out his strength. This is highly subjective - this thread is the ultimate proof of that. Some are seemingly very much into great footballing moments, nice shots, great assists. Others are into numbers like chances created or key passes. Other on the other hand value possession more, number of possession losses. There is no right or wrong way. If one fan is happy with a crappy game as long as one moment of greatness occurs that is fine. But it is also fine to expect a good overall performance even without moments of brilliance.

This number is as high because we all make a such a good job of triggering ourselves. Feck me, I hated myself when typing the post to you a couple of hours ago but I just couldn't resist. I am sure, this is how a few posters in here feel and it is due to this debate being led so childishly on a couple of occasions. There are so many who come in here after a good game to enjoy their "what now" moment, it is only natural that the others will do the same thing as well. I don't gloat after bad performances. Maybe a few others can stop theirs as well. But I probably expect too much from such a place ^^
City wouldn't mitigate his weaknesses, they have higher standards and won't lower them unless that player is absolutely crazy good at something else to justify it, it almost never happens.

Bruno isn't close to that.

We might have a chance then

City wouldn't mitigate his weaknesses, they have higher standards and won't lower them unless that player is absolutely crazy good at something else to justify it, it almost never happens.

Bruno isn't close to that.
I agree. My wording wasn't good. What I wanted to say was "a good team COULD find a way to mitigate his weaknesses". City of all teams wouldn't do it, I agree. But other teams like Real for example, I wouldn't be completely sure of.

I agree. My wording wasn't good. What I wanted to say was "a good team COULD find a way to mitigate his weaknesses". City of all teams wouldn't do it, I agree. But other teams like Real for example, I wouldn't be completely sure of.
Fair enough, though this season I don't think city are winning anyway.

I asked this in the match day thread and gonna ask here again, what qualifies as a chance nowadays? Bruno tops the league in chance creation but the majority of the time it’s just these pointless Hollywood ball that no one can reasonably reach.

I think any successful pass from which the recipient shoots? With Rashford, Antony, and (to a lesser extent) McTominay and Garnacho as passing targets for him, all of whom prefer shooting to making an extra pass, it makes sense that this stat looks good even if the "chance creation" isn't special.

For example -
That nice disguised pass to Garnacho vs Chelsea which led to the first goal (I was convinced Bruno was going to shoot, like the crowd wanted him to, and like he had done at the very start of the game, despite having 2 free players), which created a real chance because Garanacho squared it, does not count as Bruno chance creation, but if Garnacho smashed it into the crowd, it would have counted.

I think any successful pass from which the recipient shoots? With Rashford, Antony, and (to a lesser extent) McTominay and Garnacho as passing targets for him, all of whom prefer shooting to making an extra pass, it makes sense that this stat looks good even if the "chance creation" isn't special.

For example -
That nice disguised pass to Garnacho vs Chelsea which led to the first goal (I was convinced Bruno was going to shoot, like the crowd wanted him to, and like he had done at the very start of the game, despite having 2 free players), which created a real chance because Garanacho squared it, does not count as Bruno chance creation, but if Garnacho smashed it into the crowd, it would have counted.
That's true, but at the same time Bruno will pick a half chance immediately over building a good chance.

Hasn't he always struggled badly against Liverpool anyway? Maybe it'll actually work in our favour if it means ETH will play two deeper midfielders (Mainoo and Amrabat) behind a single #10 (even if it is McTominay). Of course, ETH seems so determined to use this system that he'll probably still shoe-horn somebody else in to do it.

I asked this in the match day thread and gonna ask here again, what qualifies as a chance nowadays? Bruno tops the league in chance creation but the majority of the time it’s just these pointless Hollywood ball that no one can reasonably reach.

I'm pretty certain it is a pass that leads to a shot which would explain his stat given the way we play.

Accused of getting booked on purpose to miss Manchester United clash at Liverpool

https://talksport.com/football/1671...fernandes-booked-manchester-united-liverpool/

And I believe it. He was begging for a yellow all game. In fact I'm surprised it took him so long.

Constantly arguing/shouting with the ref, diving, fouls.

He had no business getting booked on the 84th minute when we are 3-0 down.

Saying that, it might end up doing us a favour. I'm not sure I could put up watching his sulking.

There were a few times we had a sustained attack period and he tried the hollywood pass and broke all rhythm. That sums him up really.

Can't believe people in here are content (and some even rejoicing) the fact that he will be missing the Pool game? Despite his petulance and annoying behavior, Bruno is by far our best player ability wise and not having in the game next week is a huge blow. Where would the creativity and goals be coming from???

Can't believe people in here are content (and some even rejoicing) the fact that he will be missing the Pool game? Despite his petulance and annoying behavior, Bruno is by far our best player ability wise and not having in the game next week is a huge blow. Where would the creativity and goals be coming from???

Yeah, he sure showed that ability and creativity yesterday by creating nothing except their first goal. How will we manage without him constantly giving the ball away?

He was our worst player on the pitch last time we lost to Liverpool 7-0, and created nothing, that's why.

Yeah, he sure showed that ability and creativity yesterday by creating nothing except their first goal. How will we manage without him constantly giving the ball away?

It is what he is - a high risk, high reward kind of player. Unfortunately we are kind of reliant on this risk-reward to score our goals. We are just that piss poor in terms of threat from the flanks and also creativity down the middle. We do not have a odegaard or a Kdb. Look at our GD, it's so bloody embarrassing to even say it out loud here ffs. Without Bruno, I struggle to see where the goals will come from. Hence giving us ZERO chance imo for us to get anything out of the game against Pool.

It is what he is - a high risk, high reward kind of player. Unfortunately we are kind of reliant on this risk-reward to score our goals. We are just that piss poor in terms of threat from the flanks and also creativity down the middle. We do not have a odegaard or a Kdb. Look at our GD, it's so bloody embarrassing to even say it out loud here ffs. Without Bruno, I struggle to see where the goals will come from. Hence giving us ZERO chance imo for us to get anything out of the game against Pool.
So if an addict comes to you and tells you his story, would you also say "mate, if you really rely on it then yes, go for coke then."?

Being overly reliant is an issue in itself. The fact that none of the new signing stepped up next to Bruno isn't something we should lay on Bruno but an absolute stance like "we are shit without him therefor there is simply no alternative to play him" is crazy. I am sure, most of posters in here would prefer others to step up - even his critics. If he wouldn't be the only one (in his perception I guess) who will make something work, he might also play a little different. But simply saying "no, no chance, we are fecked without him so we must never try without him" is bonkers. It is smallminded and definitely not suited to a big club like us.

So if an addict comes to you and tells you his story, would you also say "mate, if you really rely on it then yes, go for coke then."?

Being overly reliant is an issue in itself. The fact that none of the new signing stepped up next to Bruno isn't something we should lay on Bruno but an absolute stance like "we are shit without him therefor there is simply no alternative to play him" is crazy. I am sure, most of posters in here would prefer others to step up - even his critics. If he wouldn't be the only one (in his perception I guess) who will make something work, he might also play a little different. But simply saying "no, no chance, we are fecked without him so we must never try without him" is bonkers. It is smallminded and definitely not suited to a big club like us.

Yeah this is sort of always been my issue with Bruno. It’s always felt like he plays like a legendary midtable club player instead of one that’s looking to win major trophies. Tries the spectacular all too often with both his passes and shots. Puts in a heroic shift but sometimes at the risk of losing structure within the team. Loses composure when things are going wrong for him leading to a bit of a hero complex. If he played for West Ham he’d be a legend and one of their greatest players, but I’ve never thought his overall game is conducive to a side that’s looking to truly challenge for major honors. I had hoped Ten Hag would tweak some of those things but instead with this “I want to play transition football” mindset he’s sort of just enabled it instead

Status
Not open for further replies.