American Express Stadium

Kick-off
Sat, 24 August 2024 @ 12:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.
    None of the pundits seem to acknowledge just how badly our squad was decimated by injuries last season. Whenever we get mentioned in conversations for top 4, the go-to response is "they finished 8th last season". Like we didn't finish 3rd the season before that.

I'd love to see us win most of our opening 10 games just to see the pundits do a full 180.
    I remember in 1985 under big Ron we did win our first 10 league games. Unfortunately it coincided with some sort of tv strike so we didn’t even get to see highlights of the games.

Definitely need something out of today. Would hate to go into games against Liverpool and Palace with only 3 points on the board.

Ever read the match day threads during the match? Or the post match? We never deserve a point from a draw, and seldom deserve the three points from a win. Our performances are never good enough for our results. A million monkeys on typewriters can't all be wrong....
    Actually? No I don't, I'm either too busy working or watching the game to read everything that is typed on a forum, I'm worried I might miss something exciting in United's gameplay.

Isn't there a theory that if you give a monkey a typewriter and enough time it will eventually produce a best seller?

Onana

Mazraoui - Maguire - Martinez - Dalot

Casemiro - Mainoo

Mount - B.Fernandes

Zirkzee - Garnacho
    subs: Bayindir, De Ligt, Evans, Collyer, McTominay, Eriksen, Amad, Antony, Rashford

score prediction: Brighton 1-2 Manchester United

United fans having to leave at 5am for this away trip, hope the team can make it worth it & doesn’t shit the bed.

I expect Toby Collyer will get some minutes against his old club.
    Vindication of his career move, if he’s on the winning side.

Definitely need something out of today. Would hate to go into games against Liverpool and Palace with only 3 points on the board.

Spot on.
    Yes it would be great to get a convincing win.
    But to be honest I will take any kind of win.

This is the barometer for knowing whether this team has turned the corner or if its a repeat of the last season.

If 10 years ago someone told me Manchester United would be getting written off by pundits, bookies, and fans alike against fecking Brighton... yet here we are, and not without reason.

The onus is on this manager and his team to prove otherwise.

Garnacho in for Amad I assume.

My guess would be

Onana

Dalot
    Martinez
    Maguire/de Ligt
    Mazroui

Casemiro
    Mainoo
    Fernandes

Rashford
    Zirkzee
    Garnacho

I think Mount might play but what would mean dropping Rashford unless ETH is going suicidal and drops one of case or kobbie.

Seems like De Ligt and Zirkzee are both starting. I have to say, I don't think dropping Maguire and Mount after 1 game is a good decision. It's a long season and there will be enough game time for everyone. I don't like a lot of rotation in the first 3-4 league fixtures of the season.

Seems like De Ligt and Zirkzee are both starting. I have to say, I don't think dropping Maguire and Mount after 1 game is a good decision. It's a long season and there will be enough game time for everyone. I don't like a lot of rotation in the first 3-4 league fixtures of the season.

Based on what?

It’s not rotation really if Ten Hag plans to start with De Ligt and Zirkzee more often than not. They probably just weren’t ready last week. I expect that’s the truth of the matter.

Based on what?

Leaks on Twitter but I'm not entirely sure how reliable they are, to be fair.
    It’s not rotation really if Ten Hag plans to start with De Ligt and Zirkzee more often than not. They probably just weren’t ready last week. I expect that’s the truth of the matter.

I get what you mean, but you sometimes have to consider your players' feelings.

Rotation is very important. It might sound funny but you shouldn't always start your strongest XI even if you are able to. Ferguson was a master of this. Pep also makes use of his squad depth very well.

Both Maguire and Mount played well vs Fulham and they are able to contribute a lot for us.

It's not a good look on ETH for me if Maguire gets benched just because he's Maguire.

Maybe I understand Zirkzee for Mount a bit more, as Zirkzee might be more beneficial for Rashford and Garnacho, especially on transitions, if Brighton are going to be playing with a high line.

Onana

Mazraoui - Maguire - Martinez - Dalot

Casemiro - Mainoo

Mount - B.Fernandes

Zirkzee - Garnacho
    subs: Bayindir, De Ligt, Evans, Collyer, McTominay, Eriksen, Amad, Antony, Rashford

score prediction: Brighton 1-2 Manchester United
    I actually quite like this, Zirkzee and Garna as split strikers. Wouldn’t use it every game but definitely could be effective.

Just saw Sancho walking past on TNT sports so could be on the bench.

Martinez is so good to interview, always so insightful and honest. He should be vice captain

as others have mentioned we have very tough opening fixtures and cant afford to fall behind. win here would be brilliant, or even a draw with a very good performance.

Doubt it. His mother tragically passed away.

His mind isn't going to be in it for a few weeks tbh.
    He's clarified already it wasn't his biological mum but his stepmother ( his brother's mum). Of course, we don't know how close he was to her and I expect he may not be involved today.

We should ban the twitter handle Simply Utd. There is no Zirkzee or Garnacho and they just make up stuff

We have the same team as last week, Mctominay on the bench

Team:
    Onana, Mazraoui, Maguire, Martinez, Dalot, Casemiro, Mainoo, Amad, Mount, Rashford, Fernandes

Subs:
    Bayındır, De Ligt, Evans, Collyer, Eriksen, McTominay, Antony, Garnacho, Zirkzee

Last edited:
    Doubt it. His mother tragically passed away.

His mind isn't going to be in it for a few weeks tbh.
    I thought he'd clarified that it wasn't his mother who'd died? Something like his brothers mother, but not his. So still someone close to him, but not his own mother that he's talked a lot about in the past.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw