Television Breaking Bad

It all makes sense to do what he has from a character progression POV.
Surely at some point it'll come between him and Jesse.One will off or flip on the other.I hate the new Hank, arrogant as shit.I cannot wait for his demise, he went from a character I liked to one I loathe
Curious as to why you feel that way about Hank. I think he's a brilliant character, and can't see much difference in his behaviour between this season and previous ones.

I think he means Walt and just typed Hank as a mistake. I agree it would be wierd otherwise as Hank is not arrogant at all, he was actually far more cocky in the earlier series, whereas now he seems far more serious, almost depressed at times.

Exactly Theon.It's a stupid mistake I have often made in my life, forgetting words in sentences and even writing something else.I meant Walter White aka "Heinsenberg" :lol:

Skyler is the most annoying bitch since Catelyn in Game of Thrones.

Agree about the Skylar bit, she was annoying from day one! Some will say good acting job or got writing for her, others will just say her face is annoying never mind the rest.

I don't get this attitude at all. If the gentle teacher that you are married to got cancer and responded by gradually becoming a drug overlord and murderer would you be happy to carry on exactly as before? Wouldn't you worry about your kids getting caught up in some unspecified crossfire?

I suspect we all would and would probably have gone to the Police by now.

Get your point and agree in parts, however, its clear she was a bitch from day one even in 'normal white' family life. When he had cancer she was taking control of his life and all that crap with the pillow, making demands. If that was me I'd tell her to do one. Now in drug dealer/money laundering life she is beyond mental.

Don't like Walt though now, Jessie was always the best anyway and Mike not far behind.
:(:(:(:(

Maybe. But most people are finding her annoying because she doesn't go all out in support of her husband turning into a sociopathic, murdering drug lord.

And he does nothing but antagonise her by involving her and doing nothing to reassure her or to get out or to move out in order to to safeguard the family or indeed anything other than what he wants to do.

I think it's fair to say if anyone was put into this situation in real life, they would find Walt to be the annoying bitch and have a lot of sympathy for Skylar.

It's a TV show though, and it's been made in a way to make the audience root for Walt from the very first episode. Even back in the first season, Walt was the one manufacturing and selling a highly addictive and destructive drug, yet Skylar was the one getting all the hate.

Just the way the anti hero works really. Same goes with The Shield and with The Sopranos. Whoever stands in anti hero's way is usually hated, despite them not being the criminals.

Walt is moviong from anti-hero to villan quite nicely though. Yet people still have no sympathy for Skylar. I wouldn't want to be married to her but she has had a very rough deal.

I'm obviously still really enjoying this season & it's had some truly fantastic episodes, but as of right now I think the show's really lost something from its dynamic which made it great. I think the beauty of the show was that no matter what horrible choice Walt (and to a much lesser extent Jesse) previously made, the show somehow managed to bring them back from the edge, made you root for them no matter what. I think Walt managed to just about remain that everyman, someone whose bad choices could be understood just a little from the awful situations he was in. I think the domestic scenes were incredibly important in keeping him grounded, something he obviously doesn't have right now.

Unless there's a drastic change and we start to see his conscience beginning to work a little, or it's shown that his cancer has already returned and spread to his brain or something, it feels like they've gone too far with him. We are now just watching for his demise and finally an awareness of what he's done (can't think of a less wanky way to put it than anagnorisis & catharsis), for a small chance of redemption before he dies. I think the show's doubly hurt by Jesse's character being so weak this season. The blood money point said it all, the show's relying on previous strength of feeling for the character for us not wanting to see him hurt, he's had little to no development this season. I'd say it's the same throughout the show this season had they not done such a fantastic job with Mike; it has the feel of the second half of an action film at the moment, for me it's entertaining but not as compelling as it once was.

Walt is moviong from anti-hero to villan quite nicely though. Yet people still have no sympathy for Skylar. I wouldn't want to be married to her but she has had a very rough deal.
Yeah, she has been pretty sympathetic this season, don't get the hate at all.

The only time I hated here was when she was smoking during pregnancy and the affair thing. Her efforts to emasculate Walt during season 3 also made her dislikeable in context of the TV Show but they were understandable.

I'm obviously still really enjoying this season & it's had some truly fantastic episodes, but as of right now I think the show's really lost something from its dynamic which made it great. I think the beauty of the show was that no matter what horrible choice Walt (and to a much lesser extent Jesse) previously made, the show somehow managed to bring them back from the edge, made you root for them no matter what. I think Walt managed to just about remain that everyman, someone whose bad choices could be understood just a little from the awful situations he was in. I think the domestic scenes were incredibly important in keeping him grounded, something he obviously doesn't have right now.

Unless there's a drastic change and we start to see his conscience beginning to work a little, or it's shown that his cancer has already returned and spread to his brain or something, it feels like they've gone too far with him. We are now just watching for his demise and finally an awareness of what he's done (can't think of a less wanky way to put it than anagnorisis & catharsis), for a small chance of redemption before he dies. I think the show's doubly hurt by Jesse's character being so weak this season. The blood money point said it all, the show's relying on previous strength of feeling for the character for us not wanting to see him hurt, he's had little to no development this season. I'd say it's the same throughout the show this season had they not done such a fantastic job with Mike; it has the feel of the second half of an action film at the moment, for me it's entertaining but not as compelling as it once was.
I agree with all that

The individual episodes may have been good but overall arc of the season has been not upto the mark for me.

Holy shit what an episode. I knew what was going to happen with about 15 minutes to go but it was still done brilliantly! It didn't leave much of a cliffhanger in terms of what's going to happen next week though, or is that just me?

If this is considered spoiling based on creating a theory I'll delete it, just let me know but I feel that there's something in those exchanges between Skylar and Jesse.

Possible future spoiler
You are right about Jesse and Skyler I think. Another thing that I suppose will happen is Walter getting in trouble for the spider in the jar Todd kept. Found it odd that they devoted a whole scene with him in the car holding it a few episodes ago. Little dead kid's fingerprints on it is going to cost them.

Walt's becoming so unlikeable is just one of many examples of this show's genius. It's not an easy thing to do, making your hero into the villain in such a short space of time. It's something David Chase tried to do with Tony Soprano, with mixed results in my opinion.

The problem for me is that they've made Walt unlikable now, but Skylar is still unlikable and Jesse has basically turned into a sobbing baby at this stage. I guess Hank is the character I'm rooting for now, I feel he's probably the only realistic candidate to actually take Walt down anymore.

Although (speculation)

It seems to basically be leading to everyone just teaming up and taking him down at this stage, the exchange between Jesse and Skylar was very ominous of that. I would guess the show will culminate with a "who will be the one to take him down" sort of finale.

Walt's becoming so unlikeable is just one of many examples of this show's genius. It's not an easy thing to do, making your hero into the villain in such a short space of time. It's something David Chase tried to do with Tony Soprano, with mixed results in my opinion.

Yeah, very good point. I was trying to make sense of it myself watching it - I realized Walt was no longer the protagonist a fan of the series could support yet brave writing.

I guess that should be seen as a win for the viewer

I'd say it's a very easy thing to do depending on how you do it. Chase tried to be a bit more subtle than what we're seeing with Breaking Bad.

It's been a bit too quick and drastic for me. The day after killing Guus he turned into a completely different person. It's quite easy to make him unlikable by having him go all creepy on his wife, manipulate anyone he crosses paths with and murder a much loved character.

He did it when Tony killed Christopher IMO

I haven't seen all of Sopranos yet, thanks for that Doevle.

To be fair, the Christopher he's talking about only comes along in the final season and is around a couple of episodes.

Ah I thought he was talking about the other one.

Regardless, shouldn't post spoilers from other shows in other threads, regardless of how old.

I like the way Walt is like an out of control steam train, everything has sort of fallen in place for him so far, and i think he feels he can never be stopped; i have a feeling his world will end up coming down with a bang where he least expects it.

Yeah shit is going to be serious in the final season.

Pure speculation on my part:

Jessie is going to kill him.

Hank won't implicitly know its Walt but will have a massive suspicion, but he won't act up on it as he will die (Walt) before it can be confirmed.

Jessie will sleep with Skyler.

Walts cancer might come back, as the real Heisenburg died of cancer so I think it may be linked into that somehow.

Or:

He will get away with everything and be drug lord baddie supremeo

Yeah shit is going to be serious in the final season.

Pure speculation on my part:

Jessie is going to kill him.

Hank won't implicitly know its Walt but will have a massive suspicion, but he won't act up on it as he will die (Walt) before it can be confirmed.

Jessie will sleep with Skyler.

Walts cancer might come back, as the real Heisenburg died of cancer so I think it may be linked into that somehow.

Or:

He will get away with everything and be drug lord baddie supremeo.

Spoiler that shit, man.

I was totally thinking about that in the car-wash scene.

I get your point, but what about the fact of the development that we've seen in Walt's mind? I mean, I think the writers are making it clear where it all comes from: he knows he's the best at what he does now, which is the exact counter-part of what he used to be (high-school teacher, not even college proffesor), and what he could have been had he not sold his share of the billion-worth project he mentioned the other day (and of season 1). Also, a lot of people has died, and he managed to kill Gus Fring himself, so he knows he can be the emperor.

I mean, I can see why some people might think the character is too over the top this season, but I believe the writers are making it clear where it all comes from and how it has developed.

Remember the half-measures full-measures talk that Mike gave Walt? It's curious to watch it again and to think of how Mike died. He was very, very cautious, but his half-measures might have costed him his life.

Spoiler that shit, man.

I was totally thinking about that in the car-wash scene.

I can't do spoilers on my phone, and it's just me speculating what will happen I didn't spoil anything.

Will try and cut and past some spoiler tags and edit my post anyway.

Shooting Mike really made me hate Walter. Good job from the director as I really liked him 'till this season.

I'd say it's a very easy thing to do depending on how you do it. Chase tried to be a bit more subtle than what we're seeing with Breaking Bad.

It's been a bit too quick and drastic for me. The day after killing Guus he turned into a completely different person. It's quite easy to make him unlikable by having him go all creepy on his wife, manipulate anyone he crosses paths with and murder a much loved character.

I don't think it has been quick at all. The slow burn happened from S1 to 4 with Gus kill being the event that was the threshold. And it was worthy of being one. Outsmarting and killing a major crime lord like Gus is a big fecking deal. Walt has bee shown as someone who always had an inflated opinion of himself and this event justified doing so in his eyes. He had no reason to doubt himself or hold back anything after that.

Walts kind of different to Tony too, Chase in season 6 just wanted to reinforce the fact that Tony is and always was a bad guy, which the viewer still cheered for, but just dropped all the likeable facets of him, the family man becoming a bit darker, and being mean to his closest guys in Hesh and obviously killing one of them.....but it's not a huge change, other than maybe his Hesh thing, the rest, as a viewer you knew he was capable of from the second the show started.

It's a hard thing to do, making your main character hated, it's basically impossible really, and they could have Walt kill Jesse and it still probably won't make him as hated as he should be. But getting the point across is all that matters really, how can you hate greatness anyway?

I don't hate Walter at all. I dislike him in some scenes, and question the worth of his motives in others, but overall he's still great. The start of that episode is a good example, it's like a begrudging respect for what he's become.

I don't hate Walter at all. I dislike him in some scenes, and question the worth of his motives in others, but overall he's still great. The start of that episode is a good example, it's like a begrudging respect for what he's become.

I geeked out during the whole say my name bit.

Do you really want to live in a world without Coca-Cola?

Sneak peek of the next ep

So the season finale, does this mean that this season ends? And by that the entire show?
In IMDB it says that there will be 8 other episodes of this season in 2013.

No it's ends there, those 8 episodes will be turned into movies at some point, filmed in 2013 and released over the next few years.

No it's ends there, those 8 episodes will be turned into movies at some point, filmed in 2013 and released over the next few years.

If it wasn't coming from you I would probably believe it. Most likely not.

Anyway according to wiki it says that the second part of the season are scheduled sometimes in summer 2013. A long waiting.

A long waiting indeed. But, Game Of Thrones starts up again next month so that will take some of that time away.

I'm off to watch Season 6 of The Wire before I make any more mistakes.

The Wire? One of, without a doubt. I rate it above The Sopranos, and is one of my favourite tv series ever, the depth is just incredible.

The Wire? One of, without a doubt. I rate it above The Sopranos, and is one of my favourite tv series ever, the depth is just incredible.

Thanks Heckley. I have heard that is one of the best ever and in IMDB is the most rated one so maybe, just maybe is next in line.