Ballon d’Or 2024 — post-Messi era

Rodri if Spain win
Mbappe if France win
Bellingham if England win

Can't really complain in any case. There is no player who's far ahead of the rest anymore.

Mbappé has done nothing in the Euros, not his fault with the broken nose but would have to have very big semi-final and/or final when he has no big CL campaign to speak of either.

At the moment I would say Rodri was most deserving if Spain win.

Bellingham hasn't done enough to win it IMO. Neither has Mbappe. Vini would have been favourite if Brazil did well. Rodri is the most deserving at this point.

If Messi wins Copa and MLS he absolutely deserves it.
My goodness. We all love Messi, but this suggestion is crazy. Messi has 8 Ballon D'Ors, that's more than enough. Time for other people to win now.

Bellingham hasn't done enough to win it IMO. Neither has Mbappe. Vini would have been favourite if Brazil did well. Rodri is the most deserving at this point.
It's still Vini, come on

My goodness. We all love Messi, but this suggestion is crazy. Messi has 8 Ballon D'Ors, that's more than enough. Time for other people to win now.

Previous wins or whatever should never effect the voting... but it's kind of hard to argue for a Copa where he's not overly been great or anything specific to an MLS given it's seriously low standard, but regardless of that, it's still absurdly falling into place for him to get votes he almost certainly won't deserve in reality, especially if France and England go out in the semi's :lol:

Just give it to Wirtz or something I'd say.

Bellingham has the current best goal in the competition, won the CL, won La Liga and had 36 goals contributions for his club.
He was the La Liga player of the year and Madrids player of the year in the LL/CL winning season.

That’d matter a feck tonne more than Messi simply showing up for a few weeks for the stand out competition favourites man, obviously.

Forget Messi, he shouldn’t be winning it. But sorry, Bellingham winning it would be a farce. He scored against Slovakia, he’s been otherwise crap. He was virtual non event in the CL’s biggest games. Congrats to him winning La Liga, but really it should the very least Real expect from here going forward given how weak their only real rivals are. I thought his goals masked a lot of poor performances in the second half of last seaosn (in La Liga obviously since he didn’t do much in the CL after the groups).

Rodri or Vini. If Spain win, Rodri, no doubt.

Since when did Rodri ever win individual awards, POTS at Man City, 22/23? Can't think of anything else.

Don't see him really in the running.

Bellingham's only case is if England win the Euros to go with this CL and league trophies, nothing less.

Messi, Vini, Mbappe can get away with winning Ballon D'or by playing in low quality leagues or not showing up / playing in CL or not showing up in international tournament but still winning something significant simply because they are better players than Bellingham.
:lol: demented take.

Bellingham's only case is if England win the Euros to go with this CL and league trophies, nothing less.

Messi, Vini, Mbappe can get away with winning Ballon D'or by playing in low quality leagues or not showing up / playing in CL or not showing up in international tournament but still winning something significant simply because they are better players than Bellingham.
:eek:

I mean, there isn't a total standout and he was great for Arsenal last season and has been comfortably our best performer in the Euros.
Not saying much.

Even then, he's been over praised, no England player has really shown anything.

Genuinely depressing how low the standards for Ballandor now are after how spoilt we've been with Messi and Ronaldo and their numbers over the years.

And the quality below Messi and Ronaldo was still ridiculously high.

The Whole Messi winnning the freaking Ballon was started by comment from a poster that doesn't look precisly like an acolyte of the little fella, so the rest that came after it's even sillier.

Anyway on a serious note, Vinicius was more like a man of moments in CL and La Liga, yet many of them were really fecking great ones. Jude ended being more a man of stats and great personality to deal under the biggest spotlight than off the charts perfomances, Mbappe even not being his best self, it's still the real different one in terms of ability...
...so if Spain wins the Euros (not that I need that, but normally it helps a lot) and even if till now he didn't had "A Rodri moment", I won't be against of giving the Ballon de Merde to him even if it would be sthg in the realm of giving it to a fella with some extraordinary consistency in this last 5 years to say the least, than focusing (as it should be) in this particular last season where he still was great, just personal prefference, I've made such exception for him.

Any of Vini, Jude and Mbappe would be ok nonetheless, in that order.

PD1: We are in a generational transition and we are starting to see some really great prospects likee Florian, Musiala and Yamal. This last one it's trully fantastic in his decision making, I've expected more from Florian in the Euros, yet he still was great, maybe I was expecting more composure, the talent it's already there.
PD2: As a side note, Messi would had draw quite a lot of more attention (even playing in MLS) if he actually scored all the clear cut opportunities he had in this Copa, even in his shitty last match he had another one...and yeap, even playing in MLS for precisly the great level he showed there and how rough Copa is this year, but he ain't precisly scoring, nor entirely fit in this Copa.

Last edited:
Nobody deserves it this year.

Keep one and give two next year

If Holland wins the Euros, surely Virgil van Dijk should win the Ballon d'Or?

He was already close to winning it in the past, and he had a decent season with Liverpool.

Can't really see who else from the Dutch side deserves it over him.

He was already close to winning it in the past, and he had a decent season with Liverpool.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Vinicius is really standing in his own way because of his antics. He's not particularly popular among many football fans but in general, I think his performances in the UCL deserve a Ballon d'Or.

What about Carvajal if Spain wins it?

I don't think he's the best player in the world of course but he would have won La liga, champions league and the Euros. He's had an important role in all competitions. Even scored important goals in the champions league.

And when it comes to right backs, is there anybody who's clearly better than him at the moment?

I pray that this award can stop being "if Spain wins..If Madrid wins..if England wins.." etc etc and start awarding the standout footballer of the year regardless of the team.

There is also about half-a-season remaining starting in August that really should count towards this. Currently Rodri and Vinicius is well clear in terms of feeling like they deserve such an accolade, but Rodri is never going to win any individual honor

I pray that this award can stop being "if Spain wins..If Madrid wins..if England wins.." etc etc and start awarding the standout footballer of the year regardless of the team.

There is also about half-a-season remaining starting in August that really should count towards this. Currently Rodri and Vinicius is well clear in terms of feeling like they deserve such an accolade, but Rodri is never going to win any individual honor

I don't think that counts anymore. Voting takes place before the new season and based on the previous season.

:lol: Jaysus, this award really has lost all meaning when people are proposing Saka, VVD and even Messi.

The award is based on 100 journalists from around the world casting their votes. So, popularity has a much, much bigger impact than consistency on who wins the award.

Someone like Rodri wouldn't have any chance unless he put in two unforgettable performances in the next two matches (which is very unlikely).

It may be Bellingham this year (if England win) just because of all the noise around him. Most importantly, he's Real Madrid royalty.

Or, Vini if England don't win.

Rodri hype is still from treble season. It's a new season. It shouldn't count.

He’s been better this season, this is his best season to date. Just because he lost a CL game on penalties to Real Madrid where he didn’t take one doesn’t make a worse season individually.

The award is based on 100 journalists from around the world casting their votes. So, popularity has a much, much bigger impact than consistency on who wins the award.

Someone like Rodri wouldn't have any chance unless he put in two unforgettable performances in the next two matches (which is very unlikely).

It may be Bellingham this year (if England win) just because of all the noise around him. Most importantly, he's Real Madrid royalty.

Or, Vini if England don't win.

As much as I like Carvajal and I trully do, it would feel weird as fvck, think about Diego Milito not even being among the 30 best players in 2010 (and people moan about Sjneider and cia) and Carvajal taking it sounds to the very least bizarre.

Don't really understand the perceived importance of international tournaments in deciding who wins Balon d'Or. It's still Vini for me.

Rodri hype is still from treble season. It's a new season. It shouldn't count.

It's not hype with him, it's reality, Rodri being the real deal it's sthg that has been going on since quite some time and even last season. In fact he in my view alreasdy has cemented his all time status....yet I beleive the majority of people here, me included, does not think he has a real shot unless he has some Rodri moment in the last Euro matches, in any case would feel more than cool if he wins it, not that he HAS to win it. Vini, Jude and Mbappe ( for me in that order) rightfully deserve it too taking in account the particularities of this current period, all of them for different reasons.

Don't really understand the perceived importance of international tournaments in deciding who wins Balon d'Or. It's still Vini for me.

Those were always very important (in the past winning the WC was almost a granted place among the candidates to the very least and in more recent years the CLs became at some point ridiculously important (still are).
So today it's a very mixed bag with lots of tendencies from prior years all together and a very grey period regarding trully standout seasons from trully standout players.
In any case like I've said above, if there is a player that is all substance since time is Rodri, it won't be a winner based only in a International Cup, far form it, but also far from the type of winners if he does it at this point of his carreer. That's why he would certainly need some lasting Rodri moment to even have a shot in these last Euro matches.

Agree completely. It was fair in the Messi/Ronaldo prime's because both were putting up such absurd seasons year after year that including team honors seemed like a fair way to distinguish each award.

But now it's fecking stupid, as it's just become "give it to a star player on the team that wins things" and less about who is actually the standout player in football. Jude had a very good year but there's no chance he should be winning it even if England scrape the the EURO's, he's been largely bad in the tournament as well as tailing off in the spring for Madrid as well (and his teammate is far more impactful for them anyways).

Rodri is probably the best player in the world relative to peers at his position. Vini is the best attacker on the best team and contributes huge performances as well on the biggest stage. Either one of those is fine, and unless they get hurt and miss August-Dec they should get it.

Perceived importance? International tournaments are the most important part of a footballers career. They are infrequent and the ultimate big stage in terms of pressure so of course how players perform in them matters. Performing on the big stage is what matters most for these awards. Vini is in the discussion of course, but Brazil doing poorly in the Copa is a huge negative for him and puts him behind Rodri if Rodri wins the euros IMO. Those are the only 2 standouts currently.

It's not hype with him, it's reality, Rodri being the real deal it's sthg that has been going on since quite some time and even last season. In fact he in my view alreasdy has cemented his all time status....yet I beleive the majority of people here, me included, does not think he has a real shot unless he has some Rodri moment in the last Euro matches, in any case would feel more than cool if he wins it, not that he HAS to win it. Vini, Jude and Mbappe ( for me in that order) rightfully deserve it too taking in account the particularities of this current period, all of them for different reasons.

Not really sure what Mbappé did that stood out this season, he's had at least 3-4 better seasons and didn't seriously contend to win it in those. He didn't make CL team of the season for example, which he has made 3 other times for PSG, didn't score against Dortmund over two legs. Only really stand out big game from him so far has been Barcelona away in the quarter-finals but it came after they were down to 10 men and their heads were gone. This Euros he's done nothing, would have to suddenly score a stunning hat-trick against Spain or something, which looks unlikely as he doesn't look fully fit.