Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Seriously, death is no excuse for waste. There are starving people in Easter Faerun who could have eaten that.
Exactly! I went to the Open Hand Temple and found rotten food. Bloody priests! They weren't even dead. What's their excuse?

I always wondered where this comes from, why dwarves in fantasy are unanimously agreed to be Scottish?
Is it a tolkien thing?
Were dwarves in his books loosely given a scottish accent and vibe?
A lot of fantasy hasn't stepped past tolkien and dungeons and dragons is pretty conventional. I mean its set a lot of conventions so its hard to be too critical of it.
Looks like it dates back to a fantasy novel from 1961 called Three Hearts and Three Lions, in which the author describes a dwarf character as having a thick Scottish accent. The book is one of the inspirations behind Dungeons & Dragons.

Tolkien only ever described the accent of his dwarves as "dwarvish". Helpful.

I might give up on Shadowheart as a permanent party member, despite fecking her :(

The Concentration mechanic means that Clerics are no longer as perversely OP as they were back in AD&D and 3rd edition. Offensively she's meh, and her support role is highly situational - keeping her around just to cast Bless in every fight seems a bit inefficient.

I'd miss Spirit Guardians and Glyphs of Warding though. A druid doesn't get those...

Looks like it dates back to a fantasy novel from 1961 called Three Hearts and Three Lions, in which the author describes a dwarf character as having a thick Scottish accent. The book is one of the inspirations behind Dungeons & Dragons.

Tolkien only ever described the accent of his dwarves as "dwarvish". Helpful.
1953,1961 was the edited version but the book is widely accepted as the beginning of the Scotch Dwarf

I might give up on Shadowheart as a permanent party member, despite fecking her :(

The Concentration mechanic means that Clerics are no longer as perversely OP as they were back in AD&D and 3rd edition. Offensively she's meh, and her support role is highly situational - keeping her around just to cast Bless in every fight seems a bit inefficient.

I'd miss Spirit Guardians and Glyphs of Warding though. A druid doesn't get those...

You can talk to Withers to respec the companion characters to another class. As I'm playing an evil cleric, I'm kind of forced to do this as she's one of the three or so possible companions that will put up with my shit. :lol:

On my save, Shadowheart is a half-illithid redhead* barbarian, flying around in her Dark Justiciar armour running people through with this thing. The only consideration might be if it fits the lore/story for your save, if that bothers you. For mine, what she is now fits in a hell of a lot more with what she's done lore-wise than it would if she was still stood in the backline buffing people. Sticking a spear in people is, after all, the best way to worship Shar apparently.

*because she's always caked in blood

Screenshot-2023-09-11-164128.png

Me and my boyfriend of 4 years, recently got into playing BG3 co-op! And so far it's been a lot of fun! We've been super invested into the story, and I've had a lot of fun discovering the plot and figuring out the gameplay mechanics with him! However, the trouble started as soon as we ran into Shadowheart in the crash region. At first it was just 'oh she's cute' which I didn't really mind, I mean *obviously* she is cute, but lately it has gotten worse and worse. He absolutely refuses to swap her out for another party member, and everytime she says \*ANYTHING\* he can't seem to help himself but remark with something along the lines of 'awwwwh' or 'she's so cute.'

I really didn't mind it at first, but lately it's start to become annoying. When we were messing around with the characters underwear (sorry!) he discovered Shadowheart had a 'bush' (which i do *NOT* have) and he couldn't help but comment on how 'well designed' it was. Normally I'd never feel like I'd be in competition with a videogame character, but there was an extended moment of awkward silence where my boyfriend didn't talk while... 'examining' this part of her.. it was humiliating! Even after I tried to suggest that we change our party members, all he could say was 'we need the bless babe.'

Fast forward a week later to now, he drove over to my apartment to spend the weekend together as we usually do, except this time was different. It seemed like he just wasn't interested, his words were shallow and short and he came off as being bored the entire time. When we finally turned it in for the night I was excited to show him something Shadowheart *couldnt* do with him, and he was completely uninterested! He just turned over in the bed and said he was tired, and fell asleep 30 seconds later.

Now that he's back home, I notice he's offline on steam (ON HIS DAY OFF) and he tells me that he's sick. But after checking his steam page several times, I can see that his hours on BG3 are STILL INCREASING. He's hiding his account in offline mode to spend time with shadowheart without me.

What do I do? Do I change class to cleric so he can't use her? Do I dye my hair black like her? I've never been in competition with a videogame character before.

My Shadowheart doesn't even have Bless. Did I mess up? I'm only level 4.

I'm sure she has it but it's probably not prepared - I think it's not prepared by default. Check her spellbook.

Bless is a level 1 spell. Just go to your spellbook and move it to prepared spells.

Didn't even know I could do that ffs :lol:

Only yesterday I figured out that you can hold up to jump and down to group sneak.

Have you checked your spellbook? She has way more spells than it shows and you have to choose a select few that you can use (anytime when you're not in battle).

I know the game is getting so much critical acclaim so much so that I think it’s now expected to beat TOTK to this years GOTY. But would you all say that one play through is not fulfilling? Because I keep reading about people playing it a few times and multiple play thoughs are a rare thing for me.

I know the game is getting so much critical acclaim so much so that I think it’s now expected to beat TOTK to this years GOTY. But would you all say that one play through is not fulfilling? Because I keep reading about people playing it a few times and multiple play thoughs are a rare thing for me.

I very rarely play games like this through again either, but I will be doing with this one.

A second (good aligned) playthrough for me will be a completely different story outside of the bare bones of the main quest. My character has killed off half of the companions as soon as he saw them and hasn't met others. There will be a whole load of personal quests I haven't seen and completely different routes through Acts 1 and 2 in another save, as well as the Dark Urge stuff, potentially.

It's not as though there being tonnes of replay value takes away from your first save either, if that's all you want to do. The one-and-done story you see in your playthrough is likely to be just as full and complete as a host of other great RPGs and story based games, and that's with me actively skipping content as my character wouldn't engage with a lot of the NPCs because he's kind of a dick. (No little girl, I can't be arsed finding your mother, just be thankful the game won't let me beat you to death with your cat).

I've just finished my second and it does get repetitive in act 3, despite me choosing a very different play-through. I'm still tempted to do another one to explore Halsin, Jaheira & Minsc (I assume that you can play him but I've never even got remotely close to that point – I've only met him in the last act, forced to kill him) as I never got to play them... but I'm likely to finish that play-through in the second act.

A spoiler question – did anyone chose to rule the city with Gortash, is that a legit option to finish the game or are you forced to kill him anyway?

Me and my boyfriend of 4 years, recently got into playing BG3 co-op! And so far it's been a lot of fun! We've been super invested into the story, and I've had a lot of fun discovering the plot and figuring out the gameplay mechanics with him! However, the trouble started as soon as we ran into Shadowheart in the crash region. At first it was just 'oh she's cute' which I didn't really mind, I mean *obviously* she is cute, but lately it has gotten worse and worse. He absolutely refuses to swap her out for another party member, and everytime she says \*ANYTHING\* he can't seem to help himself but remark with something along the lines of 'awwwwh' or 'she's so cute.'

I really didn't mind it at first, but lately it's start to become annoying. When we were messing around with the characters underwear (sorry!) he discovered Shadowheart had a 'bush' (which i do *NOT* have) and he couldn't help but comment on how 'well designed' it was. Normally I'd never feel like I'd be in competition with a videogame character, but there was an extended moment of awkward silence where my boyfriend didn't talk while... 'examining' this part of her.. it was humiliating! Even after I tried to suggest that we change our party members, all he could say was 'we need the bless babe.'

Fast forward a week later to now, he drove over to my apartment to spend the weekend together as we usually do, except this time was different. It seemed like he just wasn't interested, his words were shallow and short and he came off as being bored the entire time. When we finally turned it in for the night I was excited to show him something Shadowheart *couldnt* do with him, and he was completely uninterested! He just turned over in the bed and said he was tired, and fell asleep 30 seconds later.

Now that he's back home, I notice he's offline on steam (ON HIS DAY OFF) and he tells me that he's sick. But after checking his steam page several times, I can see that his hours on BG3 are STILL INCREASING. He's hiding his account in offline mode to spend time with shadowheart without me.

What do I do? Do I change class to cleric so he can't use her? Do I dye my hair black like her? I've never been in competition with a videogame character before.
I think the only solution is to kill Withers and then Shadowheart. Extreme situations require drastic solutions.

A spoiler question

He dies against the elder brain. So it makes your game easier by not having to fight him, but it also ruins your relationship with Karlach.

Is it just me or is ranged combat significantly more effective than up close? Seems in lots of situations half the enemies are dead before my melee character even gets a melee attack in

Is it just me or is ranged combat significantly more effective than up close? Seems in lots of situations half the enemies are dead before my melee character even gets a melee attack in
Monks. Get yourself a monk and melee become the joy it should be.

Depends. Karlach is a monster for me now that she has 3 attacks at once. Monks apparently are insane too. Astarian is great for one shotting enemies from range. Shadowheart basically runs around doing AoE and my Bard is a healing and crowd control machine.

Lae'zel is destroying things in melee for me. With Action Surge she can do five attacks in one turn, one of them a guaranteed crit with Luck of the Realm - she can drop 100+ single target damage in one turn. And that's without Haste/Speed Potion.

But ultimately, mages rule. That's just how it's always been in D&D CRPGs. You need your melee brutes but it's the spellcasters who nuke things.

A throwing barbarian with Nyrulna is the way to go :drool: But overall melee has been more effective for me personally – I'd imagine that any class can be made OP with the right tools. In my second playthrough it was mostly melee (cleric, rogue, paladin & fighter - later turned into a barbarian) and I've killed Ansur in one turn.

Too bad Nyrulna is a bit bugged, it disappeared completely on me during the fight with Gortash (not only did it not make it back to my inventory, it wasn't even lying near the enemy).

Of all the things I thought I'd learn today, "SilentWitness shaves her minge" wasn't in my top five. Top ten, sure, but never top five.

Played a small section of the opening, both the character creator and the opening blew me away and was loving it until I had to try some actual combat. Got battered by some sort of boss, was so complex and a little too overwhelming for this time of night.

At some goblin camp in act 1

Probably the most enjoyable bit so far. I’ve disguised Shadowheart as a Drow so I’m getting entry to everywhere. Managed to kill Gut after she took us aside in her chamber and I sneak attacked her before she could call for help. Killing Ragzlin seems harder though and same with Minthara but I’m hoping I can lure her towards the Grove and then kill her. Also stole a shitload of treasure by distracting a few people and using Gale to unlock the gate.

Almost 20 hours in an that game is insanely good. I didnt think the exploration would be so fun and rewarding.
The amount of ways you can tackle quests and the consequences of your choices are just insane.

Im a huge Zelda fan and i LOVED Tears of the Kingdom but if BG3 continues like that Im not sure what my game of the year will be. Its that good.