Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Not played Zelda but didn't it run quite badly on the one console it was designed for? Seems like it should probably be this or starfield from what I have read.

Not played Zelda but didn't it run quite badly on the one console it was designed for? Seems like it should probably be this or starfield from what I have read.

Nah not that I know of. I had barely any performance issues.

Just did an update and now I’m getting so many more tutorial hints coming up to explain stuff.

I think you have to give her a hug while she burns. She asks if you're sure and you have to insist.

Started my second playthrough now as a drow vengence paladin. Altough I lean towards an evil run, I'll try to keep Shadowheart and Karlach. I can't play that game without them anymore :lol: But I also need to recruit Minthara this time, for reasons :nervous:
I did that but then later on Shadowheart and I went skinny dipping followed by what would have definitely been some incredibly uncomfortable pumping on a sandy beach, and I'm wondering if that is when Karlach lost interest in me.

I also need to recruit Minthara for "reasons" when I do my second playthrough. I'm tempted to do a full on mindflayer walkthrough if I can, or play as a shield dwarf and pretend I have a harsh Glaswegian accent like the rest of them should have. I'll probably play as a tiefling, which will make it hilarious when I feck up all of the other tieflings in my quest for Minthara's bum power.

or play as a shield dwarf and pretend I have a harsh Glaswegian accent like the rest of them should have.
I always wondered where this comes from, why dwarves in fantasy are unanimously agreed to be Scottish?

I always wondered where this comes from, why dwarves in fantasy are unanimously agreed to be Scottish?
Is it a tolkien thing?
Were dwarves in his books loosely given a scottish accent and vibe?
A lot of fantasy hasn't stepped past tolkien and dungeons and dragons is pretty conventional. I mean its set a lot of conventions so its hard to be too critical of it.

Someone talk me out buying this. I was holding out for Series X release as i'd prefer that for potential online play, but something is nagging me to get it now.

I did that but then later on Shadowheart and I went skinny dipping followed by what would have definitely been some incredibly uncomfortable pumping on a sandy beach, and I'm wondering if that is when Karlach lost interest in me.

This could also be the reason :lol:

I'll probably play as a tiefling, which will make it hilarious when I feck up all of the other tieflings in my quest for Minthara's bum power.

If you're too sensitive and can't bring yourself to kill those poor druids and tieflings in your quest for power Minthara's bum, you can also help the tiefling kids to steal the statue and then the druids and tieflings will kill each other, so your hands stay clean :angel:

I'm really struggling to hold myself to the "I won't buy this til winter and a lot of the notable bugs are patched out" idea the more raving I read everywhere. Argh.

I'm really struggling to hold myself to the "I won't buy this til winter and a lot of the notable bugs are patched out" idea the more raving I read everywhere. Argh.
There have been shockingly few, if any, major bugs.

300 hours now for me and barely any bugs. The notable ones i've had are workarounds for to fix if I don't want to reload saves.

Is it a tolkien thing?
Were dwarves in his books loosely given a scottish accent and vibe?
A lot of fantasy hasn't stepped past tolkien and dungeons and dragons is pretty conventional. I mean its set a lot of conventions so its hard to be too critical of it.
No, not really. Tolkien's dwarves never seemed particularly Scottish to me. At least they certainly aren't depicted the way other, later fantasy works tend to.

Someone talk me out buying this. I was holding out for Series X release as i'd prefer that for potential online play, but something is nagging me to get it now.
Why would we talk you out of it? It's an excellent game, and very long - the sooner you start the better.

Watch cohhhcarnage's YouTube thoughts on the game if you want someone to talk you out of it. I am only a few hours in and I love it, but he gives a very balanced view of the game and he's probably someone who's opinion is pretty solid when it comes to games.

He absolutely loves the game by the way, says it's one of the best games ever made, but he does give excellent reasons to wait on it a bit.

Anyway
I have done everything I can (I think) at the first settlement now (with the exception of killing the head druid) and am off to fight the orcs and save the original leader of the druids, hopefully. I have recruited wyll and am off to find that other character he wants to kill who is also recruitable as well, so I am interested to see how that plays out.

I also had a camp scene where the rogue was sneaking about at night. He definitely comes across like someone who's going to come to a sticky end by my hand.

What’s happening when I equip something to someone and the damage goes down? For example there’s a Quarterstaff that says 0-7 but when I equip it for Gale it goes down to 0-5.

It’s better than Zelda imo anyway. I loved Zelda but it’s basically BOTW with awesome building mechanics and stuff in the sky and underground. This however feels like an evolution in the RPG.

Couldn't you say the same for this and DOS 2? I'm really enjoying it so far but it feels very similar to me in terms of the engine, mechanics and general structure of the story. Heck, you start off trapped on a ship that crashes in DOS 2 as well.

I'm still in Act 1 though so it's possible they're bigger things to come that I don't know about.

What’s happening when I equip something to someone and the damage goes down? For example there’s a Quarterstaff that says 0-7 but when I equip it for Gale it goes down to 0-5.
Weapons have a base damage. Additional damage depends on dexterity (for finesse weapons) or strength (all other) scores.

edit: I think it works like 10 = 0 and each multiple of 2, above or below, = 1. So a strength of 12 would equal a +1, 18 would be +4, 6 would be -2, etc.

edit 2: actually, not sure about the negative modifier.

Maybe its 0-7 on the character your using at the time and not Gale. It should list the damage properly if you have him selected and are going through inventory.. Some weapons can be used 1 or 2 handed and they have different damage depending on that too, that could be it.
Oh some weapons have requirements for damage too. They list the max damage in inventory but then you equip it to gale and its made for githyanki so he cant use some of the damage. Or its extra damage when in shadows but you're in a bright area.

Last edited:
Weapons have a base damage. Additional damage depends on dexterity (for finesse weapons) or strength (all other) scores.

edit: I think it works like 10 = 0 and each multiple of 2, above or below, = 1. So a strength of 12 would equal a +1, 18 would be +4, 6 would be -2, etc.

edit 2: actually, not sure about the negative modifier.
Maybe its 0-7 on the character your using at the time and not Gale. It should list the damage properly if you have him selected and are going through inventory.. Some weapons can be used 1 or 2 handed and they have different damage depending on that too, that could be it.

Cheers. Tried to select it as Gale and it still says 0-5 so not sure what the issue is. It’s a weapon he’s proficient in too.

Cheers. Tried to select it as Gale and it still says 0-5 so not sure what the issue is. It’s a weapon he’s proficient in too.
That makes sense to be honest. The damage is probably 1d6 + your strength modifier. So you probably have 12 str giving you +1 and he'd have 8 str giving him -1.

Is it versatile? It seems to me that damage always shows as being used 2 handed when in inventory, but I am not far in so not certain.

He may be proficient with it but he's never going to be amazing with melee weapons as they scale off of strength, which he doesn't have a lot of. (unless the weapon has a finesse modifier which means it will scale off of either strength or dexterity, whichever is higher)

While the early parts of the game are good, act 3 is in a rough shape in both performance and bugs. Larian have acknowledged this and have promised it will get better with time. They are also adding new epilogue stories to characters after people complained that it felt unfinished in parts. If you wait until the Series X/S versions are out it is likely the game will be in a better, more finished spot by then.

Am I missing out on XP by always choosing the peaceful option and not killing everything in sight?

Am I missing out on XP by always choosing the peaceful option and not killing everything in sight?
Yesno.
Usually you get the same exp. Sometimes you get more through combat, sometimes you can savescum and do both.

Maybe a bit, but not much. Larian said, they boosted the XP from peaceful solutions so players are not forced to fight all the time.

Couldn't you say the same for this and DOS 2? I'm really enjoying it so far but it feels very similar to me in terms of the engine, mechanics and general structure of the story. Heck, you start off trapped on a ship that crashes in DOS 2 as well.

I'm still in Act 1 though so it's possible they're bigger things to come that I don't know about.
It has the same combat mechanics to an extent but that’s about it? Even then the combat is quite different because it’s dice based and less focused on the floor being covered in shit. It’s a different world, includes insane amounts of cutscenes, totally different plot etc.

Totk is the same map with some additions, same monsters, basically the same plot, but different powers for Link. Not saying it’s not an amazing game but it’s basically Botw 2.0

You all failed at your jobs, I bought anyway.

Ironically the cohhhcarnage review claiming it’s probably the greatest game ever made actually convinced me to buy it.

So much rotten food in this game. The people of the Sword Coast are really wasteful.

You all failed at your jobs, I bought anyway.

Ironically the cohhhcarnage review claiming it’s probably the greatest game ever made actually convinced me to buy it.

Ha ha ha excellent. It really is great and I figure I am bound to play it through more than once so I can play it now and then again when it's been completely polished.

Will this be 60fps on Xbox?

Why wouldn't it be? It is everywhere else, as an option. Performance mode and quality.

Having said that I have no idea if that will be the case on series s (I know they had some issues), but series X I would expect it.

Why wouldn't it be? It is everywhere else, as an option. Performance mode and quality.

Having said that I have no idea if that will be the case on series s (I know they had some issues), but series X I would expect it.
Thanks.

So much rotten food in this game. The people of the Sword Coast are really wasteful.
Seriously, death is no excuse for waste. There are starving people in Easter Faerun who could have eaten that.