Arsenal vs Manchester United (Sun 28th July, 01:00 UK time)

Didn’t City lose today?

Yep pre season means very little. There are a couple of things to be more annoyed about tonight as a Utd fan.

Firstly the injuries.

But secondly a lot of the same issues in style of play were evident still today. City don't really need to worry about that as much as City will control matches when the season starts. I don't think anyone doubts that.

feck off with that. Stitched up? He got to play with the first team in pre-season. 3 players on the bench that didn't despite us making 12 changes.
Then blame Ten Hag for not naming a back-up RB and instead playing a rookie #10 who's never played as a defender before in that role. You can't write a player off for that. Imagine if Barcelona had put a young Messi in at RB for a game once and he got rinsed by a much more experienced international winger. He'd never have kicked another ball again if people like you were calling the shots. The answer is don't set the kids up on a hiding to nothing by playing them out of position. Of course they're going to agree to it because they're desperate to play and you don't say no to the boss if you want to improve your chances at the club. But it was a role he should never have been expected to play. Next match he needs to be used in his natural role.

We've won the game as far as I'm concerned.
Arsenal's first goal was offside, so the 90 mins was a draw and we won the shootout. It's not even a question really. :angel:

We beat Arsenal last summer and it meant nothing. Today’s game also means nothing.
Disagree. One can’t read too much into preseason but tactics, player / team form etc can be analysed.

If I’m not mistaken, after missing out on top 4 in laughable fashion,, Arsenal were mightily impressive in the 2022 preseason thrashing Chelsea and Seville and this along with their new signings really created a sense of expectation that they were on to something. I didn’t quite understand it or see it coming but they ended up nearly winning the league. So sometimes you can read something into preseason.

I think attacking inexperienced young players is Abit low when we have experienced players who've continually looked out of their depth against decent opposition.

Rasmus apparently was clapping along with the other players at the end.. So hopefully it was just a precaution

You’re wrong. The result may not mean a lot, but the tactics and style of play gives a lot away. If you think we will suddenly hit top gear and play good football on Aug 16, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

All I have seen so far is much of the same as last year. Players have no idea what to do with the ball and we are depending on individual pieces of brilliance to score or even create chances. I expect Eth to keep playing this nonsense “transition” football where every team and their mascot knows how to tackle that with a simple press and we go hoof ball with Onana missing the players with more than half his long kicks.

Think we are delaying the inevitable and unless we make massive changes to our front line who have enough flair to get the job done without a good coach, we are not really going to improve much on what’s been served so far.

Yeah, watching the games so far, I am not seeing a lot of difference to last year.

Not sure what you people saw, but first half we were pretty good. Rasmus and Yoro injury was unfortunate disruption .. 2nd half both United and Arsenal didn’t really do much

This is not turf this a grass field on top of a turf field.
No it is not

"SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, California has artificial turf called Hellas Matrix Turf. The stadium's designers chose artificial turf because it was intended to be used by two NFL teams, the Los Angeles Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams, and to host other events like the annual LA Bowl. The turf is similar to what's used at the stadiums of the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans"

It's not a good habit to talk about something if you are not sure.

I thought we already lost?
Regardless of the result, there will be a penalty shootout apparently.

Onana did this bizarre thing of standing on one side on the goal and baiting the Arsenal taker to go the other way.

Same Coach, Same Zonal marking, same 35-40% loss rate incoming, ETH will be gone by Xmas unless he changes an awful lot of his footballing principles.
don't like zonal marking off corners ever...don't mind playing a zonal scheme defensively for the mids if you plan on high pressing but the issue i have wiht the press and shape is that the wingers play in no mans land...they don't press and they don't cover, they just float around and it's just too open to play around those guys

Only preseason, of course, but I think you can judge the senior players who have shown no signs of improvement, and you can judge the youth players who have really stated their case for being included.

Casemiro, Sancho, Antony, Maguire, Lindelof, Hannibal, McTominay, Eriksen cannot start. The first 6 of those need to be sold. Seriously. Please. Please!

Amad, Amass, Collyer, Mount did well.

Scanlon, Oyedele, Wheatley, Fish, got some valuable experience. They aren't ready, but we suspected that was the case.

No it is not

"SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, California has artificial turf called Hellas Matrix Turf. The stadium's designers chose artificial turf because it was intended to be used by two NFL teams, the Los Angeles Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams, and to host other events like the annual LA Bowl. The turf is similar to what's used at the stadiums of the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans"

SoFi is a turf field but for this match they put grass on top of the turf hence why the pitch couldn't stay wet and the ball doesn't have the same bounce as a normal bedded grass pitch

Arsenal's first goal was offside, so the 90 mins was a draw and we won the shootout. It's not even a question really. :angel:
100%. Offside goal that would have been ruled off if VAR was in play and we won the game on penalties. ;)

Hopefully the injuries to Hojlund and Yoro aren't serious and just precautions. Can't really be starting another season with injuries to key players .

Regardless of the result, there will be a penalty shootout apparently.

Onana did this bizarre thing of standing on one side on the goal and baiting the Arsenal taker to go the other way.
It's a friendly and he was entertaining.

I would be more concerned if he did it in some game that actually mattered

No it is not

You are wrong. For this match, sod was laid over the top. When the Rams or Chargers play, they use the artificial. You might want to reel your neck in.

SoFi is a turf field but for this match they put grass on top of the turf hence why the pitch couldn't stay wet and the ball doesn't have the same bounce as a normal bedded grass pitch
oh wow. Sorry, had no idea

You are wrong. For this match, sod was laid over the top. When the Rams or Chargers play, they use the artificial. You might want to reel your neck in.
OK, sorry then

This.

SoFi is a WC26 location and they have been using these games to trial the grass laid over turf.

I know. Since when did pre-season ever mean a single thing.

Last season. When our pre season was horrible and we started the season being battered by Wolves at home. In all but a fortunate scoreline.

The refereeing was really, really bad.

Yep allowed some nasty tackles to go and when Mount was fouled in the 1st half he gave Arsenal a free kick :lol:.
Good match though, still can't get my head around the penalties :lol:.
Seems we may actually have a style of play developing, hopefully we can have enough fit players to implement it.

I have seen more or less every game he has played since joining United - and I have never seen him make a forward run like he did today...I have never seen him jump into tackles. He has taken a lot more responsibility since joining the first team

To say that he has never done those things is just stupid hyperbole. I have watched him quite a bit as well, and he is playing the same way he has always played, just playing in a better team.