Arsenal - 2024/25

I mean who is saying both those things.

Foden isn't the best player in the league at all. Odegaard and Bruno are in a similar bracket. I'd much rather take Odegaard though.

Unfortunately a lot of people believe that.

And no amount of domestic Cups will elevate Arteta into the elite category. For that he's going to need to win the league or CL.

I'll just say this one more time. It's not that Arteta is an elite manager but he looks like he can grow into one. The last two years have been more exciting for me to watch Arsenal than in about 15 years. Later Wenger years had turned so boring. The club didn't buy well even when it spent money and the teams football grew so predictable that you knew the finish would be top 4 (barely sometimes) but far off the league winner and you knew Wenger would drop points against some predictable rough, park the bus tactics. The last two years have been more fun to watch than Wengers last 8-9 years.

Klopps first trophy for Liverpool was the Champions League. And Klopp won the CL and the PL before he ever won a domestic cup for Liverpool! And Wenger's 3 FA Cups on 4 years meant nothing in the grand scheme, just masked the deeper flaws in the club. I'm not convinced winning domestic Cups means anything about future success.

So no, Arteta is not under pressure to "deliver a trophy". He's under pressure to deliver progress in the league and CL. That's ultimately the only two trophies that matter for how he'll be judged.
Then Arsenal aren’t a big club. How the hell can a manager at a large club not be under pressure to deliver a trophy? You play to win FFS.

Claiming Arteta isn't an elite manager because of trophy logic is like claiming Pep wasn't already an elite manager in Barca B in 2007, or Klopp wasn't already elite when he was managing Mainz or during his first few years at Dortmund.

Just because you need trophies to personally confirm it, it doesn't mean they're not there already. Arteta most certainly is one of the best managers on the planet.
Agreed. Rooney was a world class player when he was 5.

Ødegaard is the heart of Arsenal. Fantastic player.

Arteta ans Edu is one of the best partnerships in the world of football.

When people suggest sacking Arteta. I Interpret it as nose bleeding an Antonio Conte appointment & thinking you are showing ambition.

Ignore the false messiahs and fake tough guys who think they have 'high standards'.
Exactly. If you sack a coach right now or even in a few years, who are you going to replace him with that's better? There's such a dearth of available, high quality managers out there right now that anything would be a downgrade. Ancellotti ain't leaving Madrid to come to Arsenal. You think Klopp is coming back to the PL to coach arsenal? You think Pep is coming? Zidane? After that who's available that's an upgrade to arteta right now? You can take a gamble on Conte or Tuchel but their resumes suggest they'll burn their relationships in a year or two max, and that's not what the club wants.

I think this is Arteta's crucial season. I'm friends with a couple of Arsenal fans and they are feeling if he doesn't deliver the League title this season or major progress in the CL, he's got to go. They feel he's gotten as far as he can get them. What they want is the big trophy. I don't think he should be sacked if they have a similar season but I do think he's under pressure to do better in the CL.

The only more progress he can make in the PL is to win it. I think Arsenal have given him a lot of lee-way, which was a good call because he has them playing like a proper team and they are together as a unit. The lee-way paying off so far.

What do you think would happen if Arsenal win a domestic cup, finish 3rd in the league and they are knocked out of CL in round of 16? Do you think Arsenal have reached where they are going to reach with Arteta? The other thing is, whom do you replace him with. You will probably find yourselves the situation United had this summer and came to the conclusion there's no other better managers available.

I'm only putting these questions because I think it is a crucial season and it will be interesting to see what happens if Arsenal have a worse season than last year. And would you still accept a domestic cup with a slightly poorer league position as not making progress?

Personally, I'm probably willing to give Arteta either two seasons after Pep leaves City to win the league or CL or two seasons where there is a significant drop in PL and CL performance that indicates a hard ceiling for Aretata, and this is irrespective of what he does in any domestic cup. I simply don't care about the FA Cup. Part of that is that I'm not convinced Arsenal can sign any manager that would be hands down better than Arteta. For instance, I don't think Xabi Alonso would realistically come to Arsenal so no matter what happens this season, I wouldn't be willing to sack Arteta to gamble on the 2nd tier manager we would probably sign.

For league progress, I'm thinking points. If Arteta can get Arsenal to 93 points this season but Pep still gets City to 94 then I'd say that's still progress because its more points than last season even if it's still 2nd.

I think some of the discrepancies in this chat are because some people are talking about Arteta's career up to now and some are talking about hypothetical futures.

We know, with the benefit of hindsight, that Arsenal's 3 FA cups meant 'nothing' in the grand scheme of things. But it wasn't that obvious at the time. They'd added some really good players like Ozil and Sanchez, and saw some improved performances in the league. Just as we know, with the benefit of hindsight, that Klopp's high point at Liverpool was many years ago (2018-2020) and that they'd never reach those heights again, despite winning some domestic cups. But this wasn't obvious either, and up to the end people thought that he'd finish with another league title and/or a Europa League.

The same applies to Arteta, he has done a very good job so far, but improving league performances, improving the squad, being more fun to watch, etc. will not matter much in the hypothetical future in which Arsenal don't win the league or CL.

It's just a long-winded way to say that you can until everything's over, all takes on a managerial reign are subject to revision.

It was to a lot of us Arsenal fans though. It seemed clear that Wenger had hard plateaued and wasn't going to win the league again. Ozil signing was skeptical at the time because we already had Santi in that AMC position as our best remaining player and it seemed obvious that it would pose some tactical problems trying to fit Santi and Ozil into the same side. It felt like a luxury signing that wouldn't give some of the steel and grit that side needed. The closest Wenger came to winning the league in his later years was that 15-16 anomaly where he actually managed to finished second but with 71 points, which was 10 points off the winners and the winners were Leicester City! At the time, a lot of us thought, that was closest Wenger got to the league in years and the best he could muster was 71 points and losing to Leicester City's unicorn year. So no, I didn't think those FA Cups meant much even at the time. As I keep saying I've enjoyed the last two years under Arteta far more than suffering through the Wenger years of winning 3 of 4 FA Cups and only getting 4th, 3rd, and 5th in league (plus that in between season he finished 2nd to Leicester City at 71 points).

The fact that we came up short last year is more of a testament in my opinion to how ridiculously strong Man City is than us being deficient. You have a team that has won 6 in the last 7 and has looked absolutely dominant doing in. They have scored an average of 92 points in doing it. We were nowhere near when the 2022-2023 season kicked off and we are now at least temporarily in the same breath.

Whatever asterisk we can place on City, the fact is that Arsenal only deals with the end result and that is that City is the most dominant club in the PL.

It is not a knock on Arteta that we came up short but rather impressive again that he managed to improve on the previous season.

It's pretty clear to me we need to be in the mid 90s to win this, and I dont personally think we have it in us. We are not at that level, but if we finish on 92 and we come up short again, is that really a failing of Arteta or again more of a....tip your hat to City thing?(Ignoring the fact that they have cheated to get to this point)

Sounds like Arteta is about to sign another long term contract extension.

I know that people are acting like arteta could be on the hot seat in a year or so if he doesn't win a title. And I know the Kroenkes fired Emery after 2 seasons. But their record as sports owners suggests that they give coaches/managers a pretty very long leash. And all reports suggest that they have a great relationship with mikel. Especially josh who runs the club. I wouldn't expect their to be significant heat on mikel for a 3 years at minimum and that's if he starts missing the champions league

Personally, I'm probably willing to give Arteta either two seasons after Pep leaves City to win the league or CL or two seasons where there is a significant drop in PL and CL performance that indicates a hard ceiling for Aretata, and this is irrespective of what he does in any domestic cup. I simply don't care about the FA Cup. Part of that is that I'm not convinced Arsenal can sign any manager that would be hands down better than Arteta. For instance, I don't think Xabi Alonso would realistically come to Arsenal so no matter what happens this season, I wouldn't be willing to sack Arteta to gamble on the 2nd tier manager we would probably sign.

For league progress, I'm thinking points. If Arteta can get Arsenal to 93 points this season but Pep still gets City to 94 then I'd say that's still progress because its more points than last season even if it's still 2nd.
Fair points. Arsenal sticking by Arteta has probably influenced other clubs to ride it out a little longer before sacking their manager. He's shown you can get things right in your third season. Hopefully the sacking culture of managers might slowly change. All to do with the points at the end of day.

I hear you. Literally the same thought process of United sticking with Ten Hag, who out there, is available and better.

Bogie team Emery next, Arteta never seems comfortable against him. This season will be really tough, I just dont want city to win it this year.

Except Ole 2nd place finish was 74 points with a goal difference of 29. Our most second placed finish was 89 points with a goal difference of 62.

Arteta is levels above Ole. Ole is basically retired after his stint flamed out at Man United and is considered almost unhirable by any serious club. Where as Arteta is primed for a long career in management.

It constantly amazes me how so many fans see things in black and white only.

LIke I said before, rival fans want Arteta to leave Arsenal, and thats why the pretend its in Arsenals interest to sack him. You may think your being clever & nifty, but I see right though it.
If it helps I don’t want Arteta to leave Arsenal, nobody really cares, because he hasn’t proven he’s one of the best managers in the world yet. I’m more than happy for our rivals to stick with managers that don’t win trophies. It’s up to Arteta to prove that he is as good as Pep, Jose, Fergie, Klopp etc.

Bogie team Emery next, Arteta never seems comfortable against him. This season will be really tough, I just dont want city to win it this year.
Yea...im nervous on this one. Emery definitely seems to be ready for our matches. Pretty much derailed our title challenge last year. Like we didnt have enough with the london rivalries we had to manufacture one with Villa. And then we have Spurs and City away next month. Certainly did not have the easiest start schedule wise.

It's more like saying Messi was the best player in the world in 2004.
I certainly though so, when I bought "Leo Messi" in FA Manager for my Juventus team. Sadly even after managing him for 8 years in game, the poor chap's stats didn't take him beyond a 70 rating.

Villa’s second half at the Emirates might’ve been the best I saw anyone in the Prem play last season, couldn’t believe how they came out and dominated after a wobbly first half

Villa’s second half at the Emirates might’ve been the best I saw anyone in the Prem play last season, couldn’t believe how they came out and dominated after a wobbly first half

Yeah, it was a strange game. From general play we should have been a goal or 2 up first half, think we dominated, some wasteful finishing (Trossard missed a bit of a sitter) and wrong decisions costing us, yet we gifted Watkins an opening and we're lucky to see it come back off the inside of the post. 2nd half we struggled to create, Tielemans hit the woodwork again with a great effort, and we just became more ragged as the game went on, and Villa punished us with 2 late goals within a couple of minutes of each other.

Player for player, I honestly think our squad on paper is as good/or a touch better than Arsenal this season (Saka, Rice, Saliba, Zinchenko the only clear upgrades on what we already have).

As long as we can keep players fit, it's all on Ten Hag to get us playing good football.

Player for player, I honestly think our squad on paper is as good/or a touch better than Arsenal this season (Saka, Rice, Saliba, Zinchenko the only clear upgrades on what we already have).

As long as we can keep players fit, it's all on Ten Hag to get us playing good football.
does this speak more to how amazing Arteta is as a manager that he can challenge city with a worse squad than united? Or does it speak to how bad ten hag is that he could only get 8th with a squad better than arsenals?

United has a CB pairing that rivals ours?

Not sure Zinny is an upgrade on much.aleays interesting to see how rival fans see our players.

Zinchenko definitely seems the odd one out there, I don't know if I'd rate him above Shaw

Zinchenko definitely seems the odd one out there, I don't know if I'd rate him above Shaw

I'd say Shaw is the better player overall, but he's never fit.

does this speak more to how amazing Arteta is as a manager that he can challenge city with a worse squad than united? Or does it speak to how bad ten hag is that he could only get 8th with a squad better than arsenals?

Arteta has done a great job, but you had a far more balanced squad than us for the last couple of years. If we land Ugarte, there's not much reason why Ten Hag shouldn't be getting similar performances out the team. We'll see...

That being said, history remembers silverware not performances. Arteta really needs to win something this year.

Finally. We don't half like to drag a transfer out sometimes.

Shaw is miles better than Zinchenko, I actually find the comparison quite insulting to Shaw :lol:

Apart from that, a combined 11 would overwhelmingly be favoured towards Arsenal imo.

Raya
White Saliba Gabriel Shaw
Odegaard Rice Bruno
Saka Havertz ?

Martinelli/Trossard/Rashford/Garnacho. Which of those 4 would grab the last LW spot.

Havertz vs Hojlund, I'd say at the moment that is Havertz's spot, but that could change potentially.

Shaw is miles better than Zinchenko, I actually find the comparison quite insulting to Shaw :lol:

Apart from that, a combined 11 would overwhelmingly be favoured towards Arsenal imo.

Raya
Odegaard Rice Bruno
Saka Havertz ?

Martinelli/Trossard/Rashford/Garnacho. Which of those 4 would grab the last LW spot.

Havertz vs Hojlund, I'd say at the moment that is Havertz's spot, but that could change potentially.

Now you've done it, you've put Gabriel in instead of Martinez!

Raya
Odegaard Rice Bruno
Saka Havertz ?

That was my ManUtd supporter and surprised me too. I would probably pick Shaw over Zinny, although I have higher hopes for Cala.

At the moment our CB pairing are significantly ahead of a Man Utd one...that could change as they just brought in a couple new ones, but for the time being no way. At the moment the CBs I would say are the biggest difference between the two teams. Yoro looks like a goos one for the future, but we will have to wait and see. That LW spot would definitely be up for grabs. Prefer Havertz at the moment as well.

mikel merino deal finally seems done. Our boy is on his way for his medical and handsome photoshoots. Sounds like the club is determined to buy another winger even if it's just someone comfortable coming in off the bench

mikel merino deal finally seems done. Our boy is on his way for his medical and handsome photoshoots. Sounds like the club is determined to buy another winger even if it's just someone comfortable coming in off the bench

Viera also off (on loan).
Ruthless from Arteta/Club. I love it.

Need that winger backup sharpish. Saka needs better management of his playing time.

Annoyingly efficient feckers. Impressive result.

Fine margins. Good subs by Arteta changed the game for them and gave them more urgency after a meh 60 minutes.

Great game. Great win. Trossard needs to start. Or should he be a super sub? Partey looked great. Will he be dropped for Merino? And Calafiori looks the business as a defender. I think he takes over at LB after the international break. Hell yeah

Arsenal need to win a major trophy this season. They are now a very expensively assembled and experienced squad.

Still need a top striker. Martinelli really need to step up, he is a shadow of the player he was before injury.

Hot take: Arsenal will finish with a league record low for goals conceded this season. No reason why they can’t concede 14 or less with their structure and personnel.

Hot take: Arsenal will finish with a league record low for goals conceded this season. No reason why they can’t concede 14 or less with their structure and personnel.
15 goals less than last season seems impossible honestly, that record will stand for a while
Edu and Arteta need to find somebody to cover for Saka. Finding a Trossard clone on the right would be amazing.

a proper individual match winner on the left like Kvara instead of Martinelli would tip them above City

I keep saying that the team is a representation of the manager’s mindset and personality. You see that with Arsenal.

You see the same with ETH at United, it’s been three years and we have conceded the most 90+mins goals out of any PL team.