Arsenal - 2024/25

I take your point, and agree to a certain extent. However, United were dominant to a similar degree when Wenger took charge, and it took him until his second season to win the League and FA Cup double. He did it again 4 seasons later.

In the last two seasons, you were top of the table in the run in. City caught you on both occasions. Wenger used to get jeered about these things when at Arsenal. Under Arteta it's talked about as success.

I get the City narrative, and the "oh well they're just too good". However, I think my point stands. Last two seasons were great achievements. But Arsenal have spent big and have top players now across the board. If Arsenal don't do it this year, I think Arteta will start to run out of goodwill. Other great teams find a way to get over the line when it counts.
There is literally no movement within the Arsenal fanbase to remove Arteta. We believe he is a seirous manager and one of the best up and ocming managers in the world.

The only people who suggest we should sack him, are rival fans who want us to engage in an act of self-sabotage

Last 21 games 19 wins with only 9 conceded. Just need to carry this form however the next few games are going to very tough with Spurs and City.

Nothing suggests we are trying to do the same.

We don't try to control the games anywhere near like them. We don't have the midfield, we are not even trying to get that type of midfield. We don't value the ball anywhere near like them.

I think the difference between us two teams in possession is summed up by the different play styles of Bruno and Odegaard.
We're well on track to doing the finish 8th twice thing though.
So I'm sure we'll just somehow be challenging for the league soon.

What a squad. What a coach. What a club! Love to see it!. Gunners gbe gbe.

Honestly, it's hard to argue with the assertion that we are still missing that really top forward that can be the difference maker in big games and help drive you to the top trophies.

We had a lot of the ball yesterday but I was worried the pattern of play was going to be similar to the games at the likes of Villa Park and Newcastle last season. Was really happy to win the game in the end but at times it just served as a bit of a soberer for me about potential forward issues.

We go to City in a few weeks, and I'm just not sure we have the personnel up top or the style of play that allows us to go there and win.

Honestly, it's hard to argue with the assertion that we are still missing that really top forward that can be the difference maker in big games and help drive you to the top trophies.

We had a lot of the ball yesterday but I was worried the pattern of play was going to be similar to the games at the likes of Villa Park and Newcastle last season. Was really happy to win the game in the end but at times it just served as a bit of a soberer for me about potential forward issues.

We go to City in a few weeks, and I'm just not sure we have the personnel up top or the style of play that allows us to go there and win.
I was really impressed yesterday with Havertz and his work rate but yeah, you really lack a bit of ruthlessness at CF.

I was really impressed yesterday with Havertz and his work rate but yeah, you really lack a bit of ruthlessness at CF.

He works hard, is a good facilitater for the team, good enough for 80-90% of the games we play. But there's just those games, where you just need that wee bit extra. That can come in different ways, that bit of magic, pace and threat in behind on transition, that extra bit of physicality, that bit of ruthless finishing. That's what we lack in certain key moments still for me.

It's the Partey thing that's a mystery. Did he get off? Was there ever any investigation?

And last year City was not even on full throttle. City with 91 points won by 2 points. But if required they could have gotten even more. They just kept themselves in striking distance all the time.

Dont think some United fans would understand untill they would experience the 97 point runners-up season with United firsthand.

(Not trying to downplay anything United achieved. We Arsenal fans first hand know how good you were aswell during that time)
Hate to disagree with a fellow Gooner, but this simply isn’t true.

City had games in hand because they played in the Club World Cup. Following that, they had 17 games. They were unbeaten with 14 wins and 3 draws (against our 15 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss). 1 of City’s draws was against us. The other 2 were against Liverpool and Chelsea. During that time we dropped 3 points against other teams and they dropped 4.

Because City have been doing this for years we’ve become numb to it. But the idea that the gap could have been bigger if City decided to really put their foot on the pedal is a total myth. They literally could not have had much better results than they did.

I do think many teams pen a City game as a loss in the latter half of the season as they are managing their final games or at least do not go full throttle...it is a champion perk.

Hate to disagree with a fellow Gooner, but this simply isn’t true.

City had games in hand because they played in the Club World Cup. Following that, they had 17 games. They were unbeaten with 14 wins and 3 draws (against our 15 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss). 1 of City’s draws was against us. The other 2 were against Liverpool and Chelsea. During that time we dropped 3 points against other teams and they dropped 4.

Because City have been doing this for years we’ve become numb to it. But the idea that the gap could have been bigger if City decided to really put their foot on the pedal is a total myth. They literally could not have had much better results than they did.

What I am saying is before that.
They were already ahead by December when we had that horrible spell (or atleast they had games in had and were level). So they knew they just had to match our results. Had we pushed ahead in October/November I strongly feel they would have pushed harder too. We saw that in 22/23 season.

For instance even if we get 95 points this season there is a good chance it wouldn't be enough as City can just top that.

What I am saying is before that.
They were already ahead by December when we had that horrible spell (or atleast they had games in had and were level). So they knew they just had to match our results. Had we pushed ahead in October/November I strongly feel they would have pushed harder too. We saw that in 22/23 season.

For instance even if we get 95 points this season there is a good chance it wouldn't be enough as City can just top that.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. When City dropped points in every game where Rodri was suspended, I thought it was because they lost a key player and even City will miss that level of quality. I think it’s a bit conceited as an Arsenal fan to think that had anything to do with our performances at the time.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. When City dropped points in every game where Rodri was suspended, I thought it was because they lost a key player and even City will miss that level of quality. I think it’s a bit conceited as an Arsenal fan to think that had anything to do with our performances at the time.

I used to follow Liverpool during their title chases with Klopp. Its possible I might have some trauma from that time period. I uses to think I would lose my mind if it happens to Arsenal. And to some extent its happening now.

I used to follow Liverpool during their title chases with Klopp. Its possible I might have some trauma from that time period. I uses to think I would lose my mind if it happens to Arsenal. And to some extent its happening now.
Yep, I definitely share that sentiment. Maybe we’ll trauma bond across the course of the season.

We’ve got a good chance this year. Unfortunately, it looks like Liverpool and maybe even Chelsea are getting their act together.

Let's hope Palace offer the same 25/30M for Nketiah even if it's only a loan+obligation. We can't trust Jesus's fitness and need to find an attacking player. The only way it would be okay to go as is, is if we had a genuine chance at Nico Williams next summer. Otherwise get somebody in, way too many games for only 4 attacking players.

Trossard, Martinelli, Jesus, Saka, Havertz. Isn’t that quite enough?
Jesus is already injured again even though it doesn't look too serious. If Havertz or Saka are out of the team we are in trouble. I don't count Nelson because he's either leaving or riding his contract on the bench for another year.

Yeah we're in trouble up front if Nketiah goes and Martinelli doesn't push on.

Personally, I would have gotten rid of Tomi and Jesus this summer. Just too unreliable. Possibly Partey as well, but we would have had to replace him. We haven't done well shipping guys out again. It's restricted our ability to get more quality in.

I really enjoy this thread. A good friend of mine is an Arsenal fan so I'm a little more tuned in on Arsenal than other PL clubs bar maybe Liverpool and City.

I have a question for Arsenal fans. This is the thing that stirs a debate with my mate. I said to him, if Bruno Fernandes was in your team last season, you would have won the league. My mate completely disagrees. He rates Odegaard over Bruno. The thing is, Bruno last season had better stats (I know, stats aren't be all and end all) but Bruno played in a far worse system and lets face it, far worse team.

Bruno had 120 more ball regains, 2 more goals scored, 1 assist less, over 20 more ground duels won. I know you can argue Odegaard didn't need to try win the ball as much because Arsenal control games more than United do, I understand all that.

What do you all think, do you think if Bruno played for you last season, would you have won the league?

Says he really enjoys the thread.

Proceeds to derail said thread with inane question.

Personally, I would have gotten rid of Tomi and Jesus this summer. Just too unreliable. Possibly Partey as well, but we would have had to replace him. We haven't done well shipping guys out again. It's restricted our ability to get more quality in.

Think in an ideal, Football Manager world, you could make the moves you suggested but the market has been really slow this summer, so not only do you need to move those players on, you need to find replacements as well. From last season, we've got rid of Cedric, Elneny, Smith-Rowe, Vieira, Nketiah nearly, Patino, Tavares and Lokonga who were on loans with still a slight chance on Ramsdale, Kiwior, and Nelson. That's a decent chunk of movement already, I think next summer might see the guys you mention go.

I really enjoy this thread. A good friend of mine is an Arsenal fan so I'm a little more tuned in on Arsenal than other PL clubs bar maybe Liverpool and City.

I have a question for Arsenal fans. This is the thing that stirs a debate with my mate. I said to him, if Bruno Fernandes was in your team last season, you would have won the league. My mate completely disagrees. He rates Odegaard over Bruno. The thing is, Bruno last season had better stats (I know, stats aren't be all and end all) but Bruno played in a far worse system and lets face it, far worse team.

Bruno had 120 more ball regains, 2 more goals scored, 1 assist less, over 20 more ground duels won. I know you can argue Odegaard didn't need to try win the ball as much because Arsenal control games more than United do, I understand all that.

What do you all think, do you think if Bruno played for you last season, would you have won the league?
I'd never take Bruno over Odeegard. Anyone who's seen Odegaard play in a high pressing, possession team would agree on this too. His running and pressing is insane. Anytime the opposing GK has the ball its Odegaard running his lungs out to close him down and then the rest follow his example. He doesn't whine or throws his hands about with pretty poor body language.

You simply can't say the same about Bruno. It may be hard hearing this from an Arsenal fan so before I get the biasedness accusation, you can pretty much read United fans saying the same thing about Bruno on this forum:

His hyper-emotional personality doesn't help at times. He loses his head a fair bit when things go wrong and starts forcing things. When that happens, the team tends to lose it's collective wits as it's currently too reliant on him. Unfortunately there are not many other senior players to pull him out of it when he starts spiralling (e.g. sitting on the floor moaning at the ref while we had a chance to attack at Brighton).

Bruno shouldn't either. People will point to his stats about how many chances he creates...but then bemoan us for a style of play that is dependent on moments of magic to score goals. We don't score many goals through consistent attacking pressure, where we create lots of chances and eventually one goes in. We score from isolated highlights.

Bruno loses possession so often – not from trying speculative, incisive passes...but from simple passes that he either misplaces completely, or passes back so inaccurately that the next pass is almost doomed to fail. He also passes backwards far too often – typically when he is passed the ball from a defender, he will pass it straight back to them. Kobbie will often try and turn and go forwards. Bruno rarely does this. I really wish players like Mata were given more chances to play as a 10 when they were heere. Instead, he get's brough on and played on the right wing so Bruno can stay in the middle.

So starting Rashford is silly, because we can play someone better.

Starting Bruno is criminal, because he prevents us having a style of play.

Bruno is a luxury style player that can only shine in midtable teams where he can be given the liccense to do anything he wants as their star player. I do not believe it is possible for any team featuring him to have a cohesive functioning midfield, and throughout his 10+ year career he has never once been apart of one. Many on here made excuses that his teammates here are poor and how on Portugal with better teammates he looks great. Then at the Euro when he finally played against real teams, he looked terrible. Once again though his fanboys changed the narrative, now claiming his Portugal teammates are crap too. Its amazing how unlucky this guy is, his teammates are apparently always "crap" for some reason.

That means players like Rashford and Bruno can not be key players, it simply won't work. Especially not Rashford, but Bruno as well. He is way too reckless in possession, and he doesn't stay in midfield when we actually need bodies there to stop people running through us.

So its a lot of pointless possession, usually amongst the defenders, until someone tries to dribble their man (Rashford) or someone tries a cute flick (Amad) or outlandish pass or something (Bruno) which all inevitably fail, then its off to the races with the other team streaming towards our goal.

This is just from half a page of a thread. There is simply nowhere in any part of the Arsenal fanbase where any such sentiment about Odegaard exists. Like Saliba was, if Odegaard had gotten injured we'd been deeply screwed. We have let in only 9 goals in the last 21 games with 19 wins and taken 57/63 points and had the best defence and attack last season. Right now I don't think any United player improves us, as this is near perfect form as it is and its not even a controversial take.

Last edited:
Think in an ideal, Football Manager world, you could make the moves you suggested but the market has been really slow this summer, so not only do you need to move those players on, you need to find replacements as well. From last season, we've got rid of Cedric, Elneny, Smith-Rowe, Vieira, Nketiah nearly, Patino, Tavares and Lokonga who were on loans with still a slight chance on Ramsdale, Kiwior, and Nelson. That's a decent chunk of movement already, I think next summer might see the guys you mention go.
It is a lot of movement, but we were probably already slow on most of those transfers out to the point they are not worth much or anything. We leave these for another year, I am not sure they will get much next summer following a similar pattern. We got Tomi to sign a new contract recently as well. Seems like a bit of a waste when we know the likely end result.

Nketiah deal about to be done.

Merino about to be announced.

Rumblings of Ramsdale possibly being on the move.

Not a bad end to the window. Would love one more attacking player signed but maybe they can get one in January like Trossard a few years ago.

Bruno's G/A was 6 more than Odegaard... and 6 of them were penalties. There's really not much to choose between them when it comes to end product. However, in terms of their all round game, I much prefer Odegaard. He pretty much matches Bruno's output while contributing to our domination of virtually every match we play. I've yet to see Bruno be part of a midfield that consistently controls games and this is his fifth season in the PL.

Bruno's G/A was 6 more than Odegaard... and 6 of them were penalties. There's really not much to choose between them when it comes to end product. However, in terms of their all round game, I much prefer Odegaard. He pretty much matches Bruno's output while contributing to our domination of virtually every match we play. I've yet to see Bruno be part of a midfield that consistently controls games and this is his fifth season in the PL.
I understand the argument that 6 goals were penalties but I think you have to consider Bruno is playing in a far less settled team. I truly think Bruno is underrated by fans in the PL. United have rarely consistently controlled games and it's not all down to Bruno. Odegaard is playing with players that suit the entire system Arsenal are playing and they are very good at it. Bruno doesn't have that too often at United. It's night and day with United when Bruno comes off or isn't available. I am convinced Arsenal would have won the league last season with Bruno in their team.

Bruno is just not an endearing player for neutrals or rival teams I suspect. I have honestly never once thought... damn...he would be great for Arsenal.

If I want creativity...I want KdB...if I want an all-round player ...I want Odegaard. Our style of play is dictated by him, more so than anyone else . So much of our success is based on what we do without the ball. I am sure Bruno works for Man Utd... but he wouldn't work as well for us, and more importantly, Arteta.

I understand the argument that 6 goals were penalties but I think you have to consider Bruno is playing in a far less settled team. I truly think Bruno is underrated by fans in the PL. United have rarely consistently controlled games and it's not all down to Bruno. Odegaard is playing with players that suit the entire system Arsenal are playing and they are very good at it. Bruno doesn't have that too often at United. It's night and day with United when Bruno comes off or isn't available. I am convinced Arsenal would have won the league last season with Bruno in their team.
Not a chance. We'd have less points and concede more goals because we're not that good at defending counter attacks. And there would be plenty of these with Bruno on the ball.

Not a chance. We'd have less points and concede more goals because we're not that good at defending counter attacks. And there would be plenty of these with Bruno on the ball.
That's another point you are making. Odegaard is ery stingy at giving away possession, not only through passes but also just controlling. He rarely has his pocket picked, opening up a counter.

Bruno is just not an endearing player for neutrals or rival teams I suspect. I have honestly never once thought... damn...he would be great for Arsenal.

If I want creativity...I want KdB...if I want an all-round player ...I want Odegaard. Our style of play is dictated by him, more so than anyone else . So much of our success is based on what we do without the ball. I am sure Bruno works for Man Utd... but he wouldn't work as well for us, and more importantly, Arteta.
I think that comment you made is true in terms of the perspective. The truth is Bruno doesn't shine as much as he could because of what's around him and that's where I'm coming from by mentioning a what if.

There is a noticeable drop in quality when he's not our on team. Our entire level drops and there's evidence of that against Brighton, the second he came off the pitch United stopped playing football.
I think you would score more goals with him in the team. Fernandes has I think (correct me if I'm wrong), the top chance creation in Europe's top 5 leagues since he came to United. He does in the PL since he came - https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

He's doing that in a far less better team.
That's another point you are making. Odegaard is ery stingy at giving away possession, not only through passes but also just controlling. He rarely has his pocket picked, opening up a counter.
I fully agree with that, alright. His team puts him under less pressure than our lot. I think Arsenal pretty much set up around Odegaard. With United, well, it's hard to not what we are doing sometimes. :wenger:

Nice chat lads, was just curious to what you think! I know it's fantasy and a what if.

What's going on with Ramsdale? Would be a really strange move for him to stay as a number 2.

What's going on with Ramsdale? Would be a really strange move for him to stay as a number 2.
Nobody is paying the 20m+ Arsenal want for him this summer. Loaning him out just for the wages might not be worth it since we'd need to bring somebody in.

I think that comment you made is true in terms of the perspective. The truth is Bruno doesn't shine as much as he could because of what's around him and that's where I'm coming from by mentioning a what if.

There is a noticeable drop in quality when he's not our on team. Our entire level drops and there's evidence of that against Brighton, the second he came off the pitch United stopped playing football.

I think you would score more goals with him in the team. Fernandes has I think (correct me if I'm wrong), the top chance creation in Europe's top 5 leagues since he came to United. He does in the PL since he came - https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

He's doing that in a far less better team.

I fully agree with that, alright. His team puts him under less pressure than our lot. I think Arsenal pretty much set up around Odegaard. With United, well, it's hard to not what we are doing sometimes. :wenger:

Nice chat lads, was just curious to what you think! I know it's fantasy and a what if.

Bruno is better as a #10. He's a creative machine, and has that killer x factor that Odegaard doesn't. In these 2 aspects, only he can be compared to KDB from every number 10 in world football currently. You can build your whole team's attack around him. Give him the keys in a good team, and every game your forwards and wingers will get a good number of incredible balls delivered to them. A lot of it is spontaneous and therefore unpredictable as well. With Odegaard, it's much more controlled and systematic, because he doesn't have what KDB/Bruno does, or what Özil had, if we want a past example from Odegaard's current team. He just has a few signature pattern moves, and his playstyle is very aesthetically pleasing, which leads to people overrating him.

Ignore the "loses possession too often" "wouldn't work well under Arteta" "holding us back" talk, etc. all of it is nonsense. Put Bruno in Arsenal or City and he's getting at least 20-25 assists every season. Odegaard has played two full seasons now in a team that's so good they came close to the title vs Pep Guardiola's Manchester City side, despite not having an answer for neither De Bruyne or Haaland in their squad, and he managed 18 assists in 2 full seasons. Bruno gets that in one season without much effort in a half-decent United side, we've seen it in 20/21 and 22/23.

Odegaard will be pushed back deeper to play long-term as an #8, or he will leave, as soon as Arteta finds his own Bruno/KDB, mark my words.