Arsenal - 2024/25

They need to take the rest of this season off and come back next year when City start with -20

This was coming...
We haven't been good this season. So a loss was due once we ran out of luck.
Just hope that we take this as a wakeup call and actually start playing well.

It's all just a bit scrappy at the moment. Team lacks a bit of consistency in selection in midfield and up front with injuries and suspensions, everything just seems a bit stop start at the moment and lacking fluidity, and the new signings still aren't up to speed. We'll get there in terms of performances, it's just a question if it will be too little too late in terms of keeping up with City and Liverpool.

Arteta is simply too reactive and not proactive. You could see this in the last 20 mins we weren't going to win or even equalise. I am unsure as to why he did not bring Jesus and why bring on a defender for Sterling. Just play 4-4-1 or 4-5-0. Why be so negative, this isn't away at City. He did the same against Brighton at home. Why not just play Nwaneri? The lad looks high on confidence and can handle himself.

I have always said we have great cover for every position. Except Saka and Odegaard. We can do okay without one, not without both. It was a pretty dire show. I hope we improve against Liverpool otherwise we will get punished.

Arteta is simply too reactive and not proactive. You could see this in the last 20 mins we weren't going to win or even equalise. I am unsure as to why he did not bring Jesus and why bring on a defender for Sterling. Just play 4-4-1 or 4-5-0. Why be so negative, this isn't away at City. He did the same against Brighton at home. Why not just play Nwaneri? The lad looks high on confidence and can handle himself.

I have always said we have great cover for every position. Except Saka and Odegaard. We can do okay without one, not without both. It was a pretty dire show. I hope we improve against Liverpool otherwise we will get punished.
Negative mindsets, defensive approaches and the mentality of "playing for results or even draws" and not conceding beyond all costs spreads like the plague in a group of players. There is a reason that this type of approach is practically extinct in modern football amongst the top clubs now, except a distinct few that doesn't win much silverware. Most teams try and play football now. If a big part of your game is to play the margins and invite pressure it is risky, and once you get into this mindset it is hard to turn on and off.

One man down at the Etihad with a one goal lead is all well and good but there was no plan to even attempt to counter or take some initiative back. Just be organised and hope that the other team weren't at their best. That is a mentality thing. And me amongst others thought that it would start to impact you in other games

No midfield, no party. When they don’t score it all falls apart. Not playing Jorginho is shocking decisions when you got average players in his position.

Negative mindsets, defensive approaches and the mentality of "playing for results or even draws" and not conceding beyond all costs spreads like the plague in a group of players. There is a reason that this type of approach is practically extinct in modern football amongst the top clubs now, except a distinct few that doesn't win much silverware. Most teams try and play football now. If a big part of your game is to play the margins and invite pressure it is risky, and once you get into this mindset it is hard to turn on and off.

One man down at the Etihad with a one goal lead is all well and good but there was no plan to even attempt to counter or take some initiative back. Just be organised and hope that the other team weren't at their best. That is a mentality thing. And me amongst others thought that it would start to impact you in other games
What are you banging on about?

Ferguson fielded a starting lineup containing seven defenders against Arsenal:

Edwin van der Sar,
Wes Brown
Chris Smalling
Nemanja Vidic
Patrice Evra
Fabio
John O'Shea
Darron Gibson,
Rafael
Wayne Rooney
Javier Hernandez

And was rightly praised when they won the game. No one was making the argument that “this mentality would start to impact them in other games”. For good reason, it would be pretty stupid argument to make. Ferguson adapted his selection and tactics to the opposition. And he adapted his in-game management to the game-state of the match.

Arsenal were defending a lead playing away at the home of the reigning champions with a man down and came within 30 seconds of securing a victory. Your team and fans ended up celebrating equalising with us, whereas we were disappointed to leave the game with only a point. Please explain how that maks Arsenal the team with negative mentality. You were happy with the draw while we were bitterly disappointed by the result.

We scored the most goals in our entire history last season. You can’t achieve that with a negative mentality. We’ve gone toe-to-toe with in City away fixtures earlier on in Arteta’s tenure… and lost every time. Whereas you haven’t beat us in our three matches from the start of last season (four if you count the Charity Shield) despite two of those fixtures being played at the Etihad. And the only team to actually win a match between us in that time is *checks notes* Arsenal.

It’s all well and good leaving the Etihad with Guardiola saying we are “so, so good, honestly, so, so good” after City having soundly beaten us again. But it’s obvious that Arsenal fans would rather we leave with points instead. It’s equally obvious that City fans would have preferred us not to played the way we did and instead opened up and be picked off. Which is fine, I just don’t understand the pretence that this would somehow have been in Arsenal’s best interests.

Arsenal clearly failed against Bournemouth. Trossard inexplicably decided to play a perfect through ball for the opposition striker to gleefully run on to. Then Saliba, instead of trusting his recovery pace, decided to act without his customary calmness and foul said striker instead.

We’ve won every game where we’ve not had a man sent off. Each of those dismissals could conceivably have been not given by the officials, but it’s very much our fault that we keep giving refs a decision to make.

We do not have adequate cover for Odegaard and Saka (or Havertz and Martinelli - but we’ve been fairly lucky there). If we didn’t think Vieira (who we’ve loaned out) or Nwaneri (who we seem to be bedding in slowly) were ready to contribute this season, we should have made a signing - or two - in this area. Our squad is now fairly strong in midfield and defence. And I like our first choice options in our forward line, but our rotation options are not up to standard.

Arsenal have quite a few problems to solve. Carrying the mentality that saw us get a result at the Etihad into other games really isn’t one of them.

As a team, Arsenal is not mentally strong.
I don't think Odegaard is a particularly good captain or anything, but he's really the paper mache glue holding them up together.
They are not showing the discipline required to win the league this season.
City could be out of their sight comes early December.

As I've said, whilst Guardiola is here it's useless playing Guardiola football because Guardiola is ultimately the best at it.

When Guardiola leaves then Arteta has a chance of going for the title but by that time I think some new managers like Slot, Maresca or our new manager may have settled in to compete for the title or atleast make their job harder.

Play our own style of football & stop trying to copy another managers tactics.

It's all just a bit scrappy at the moment. Team lacks a bit of consistency in selection in midfield and up front with injuries and suspensions, everything just seems a bit stop start at the moment and lacking fluidity, and the new signings still aren't up to speed. We'll get there in terms of performances, it's just a question if it will be too little too late in terms of keeping up with City and Liverpool.
Hopefully Merino ramps up quickly. But I fear that we are still far too dependent on Partey. Rice cant play that role effectively.

In front 5 we have very few player (only Saka/Odegaard) with vision. Havertz Rice Martinelli Trossard have their strengths but they all need someone to glue them. We need both Saka/Odegaard to play good football. With one we can be decent. Remove both and we are a midtable team at best.

Hopefully Merino ramps up quickly. But I fear that we are still far too dependent on Partey. Rice cant play that role effectively.

In front 5 we have very few player (only Saka/Odegaard) with vision. Havertz Rice Martinelli Trossard have their strengths but they all need someone to glue them. We need both Saka/Odegaard to play good football. With one we can be decent. Remove both and we are a midtable team at best.
I mean that’s a bit hyperbolic. They’re your two best attacking players so of course you’re going to miss them - it doesn’t mean you’d automatically plummet to midtable level because you still have some very good attackers (albeit not on Odegaard/Saka’s level).

As a United fan, I want to see Arsenal drop points but people get so giddy on here on the basis of just one game. You’re just one point off top spot with just eight games played.

Arsenal have shown in the past how resilient they are and can easily bounce back after a set back. Some are automatically assuming a poor end to the month/November because of having to play Liverpool/Newcastle/Chelsea but some thought the same with Villa/Spurs/City and you got 7 out of 9 pts there.

So that makes it 18 red cards, under Arteta. At least 5 more than anyone else since the start of his tenure, and 3 in their first eight games this season, not seen since 2011.

There were murmurs of invincibility amongst their online fanbase. They'll never learn.

There was also talk of them beating Chelsea record of 15 goals conceded.

Thought they were definitely winning the league this season?
I am far from sure that they haven’t gone backwards for no other reason that they are getting the injuries to key players added to the fact that they are struggling when faced with pace in the wide areas

Thought they were definitely winning the league this season?

They still can, this time last year Man. City were losing at Wolves (and then lost at Arsenal the following weekend). You can lose away games and still win the league.

Keeping 11 men on the pitch is a bigger issue though and will continue to hurt them like yesterday if they don't correct it.

No midfield, no party. When they don’t score it all falls apart. Not playing Jorginho is shocking decisions when you got average players in his position.
They have lacked in central midfield for a while, relied heavily on being good defensively and being physical, when on the ball their midfield is meh.

They still can, this time last year Man. City were losing at Wolves (and then lost at Arsenal the following weekend). You can lose away games and still win the league.

Keeping 11 men on the pitch is a bigger issue though and will continue to hurt them like yesterday if they don't correct it.

In theory they can - but it wont happen- Arsenal look a weaker side than they were last season. They wont win the league

Arsenal are not as good as City though, they don't have that dominance City do.

I honestly think the game at the Etihad has warped everyone's brain. We've lost our first away game of the calender year yesterday and we are almost into November. I think we had played 12, won 10 and drew 2, both of them Vs City.

After the game at the Etihad everyone talked about us being too negative....(a game we scored 2 goals in). We then scored 5 Vs Bolton, 4 Vs Leicester, 2 Vs PSG and 3 vs Southampton. The Leicester game we apparently had our highest shots and shots on target in 20+ years, the Southampton game we had our highest xG since they started recording that stat.

Yesterday we just weren't at the races, these things can happen over the course of a season. A mixture of coming back from international break, a few different injuries, new players still trying to get up to speed, and giving credit to Bournemouth, a very decently organised opponent who were doing well on the day. Yet, we were still the architects of our own downfall.

We are still in a very decent position, and that's with people suggesting we aren't playing that well. We do have a tough run coming up, and I've no doubt 1 or 2 negative results and the knives will be out again. We just need to try and get through them not too far adrift of the leading teams. If we can come out the other end of them near the top guys having already been to City, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle and Chelsea then we'd be doing ok.

They have lacked in central midfield for a while, relied heavily on being good defensively and being physical, when on the ball their midfield is meh.
I will always point out that Jorginho is best central midfield for Arsenal. If we take out Odeegard out from this discussion. Partey could have been something but to many injuries. Merino and Rice are not good enough.

In theory they can - but it wont happen- Arsenal look a weaker side than they were last season. They wont win the league

They've still gone to City and Spurs and got 4 points. It's still early days. Tricky run they have coming up though with Liverpool home and then back to back aways at Newcastle and Chelsea. Only 4 points from that trio last season so need to be getting 6-7 to compensate for yesterday's loss.

What wins Man. City titles is being pretty much faultless from February onwards in seasons and winning every single game they need to. However they always drop plenty of points in first halves of seasons. Last year they actually dropped 17 league points by mid December but then only 6 from Xmas.

Arsenal are hilarious.

All the talk of the progress they've made and they still have nothing to show for it since they won that FA Cup in Covid. The worst Man United team since the late 80s has won more than them.

They are very similar to that Arsenal side of 2006 - 2011. Loads of very good players but they are so weak.

I look forward to all the Arsenal fans telling stories to their kids and grandkids about the great side that challenged for the title but ultimately failed. A bit like the older guy from Shelbyville in The Simpsons telling the kids about how they bravely fought to keep the lemon tree from Bart, Homer and their mates before they ultimately had it stolen.

A few people, pundits and fans alike did think that they'd need to start winning something soon as there is only so long you can keep finishing second. It's very early but cracks could be showing.

As I've said, whilst Guardiola is here it's useless playing Guardiola football because Guardiola is ultimately the best at it.

When Guardiola leaves then Arteta has a chance of going for the title but by that time I think some new managers like Slot, Maresca or our new manager may have settled in to compete for the title or atleast make their job harder.

This is exactly it. Football is full of shitty Guardiola knockoffs and it’s boring as feck.

I will always point out that Jorginho is best central midfield for Arsenal. If we take out Odeegard out from this discussion. Partey could have been something but to many injuries. Merino and Rice are not good enough.
Agreed.

The Caf needs to make up it's mind? Half the Caf saying we play negative defensive football, and half the Caf saying we just copy Peps tactics, which is it?

Arsenal are hilarious.

All the talk of the progress they've made and they still have nothing to show for it since they won that FA Cup in Covid. The worst Man United team since the late 80s has won more than them.

They are very similar to that Arsenal side of 2006 - 2011. Loads of very good players but they are so weak.

I look forward to all the Arsenal fans telling stories to their kids and grandkids about the great side that challenged for the title but ultimately failed. A bit like the older guy from Shelbyville in The Simpsons telling the kids about how they bravely fought to keep the lemon tree from Bart, Homer and their mates before they ultimately had it stolen.

:lol:

We don't have our own style of football. The reason so many teams copy Peps football because it works pretty much everywhere.

The Caf needs to make up it's mind? Half the Caf saying we play negative defensive football, and half the Caf saying we just copy Peps tactics, which is it?

:lol:
We don't play anything like pep football, we are closer to the opposite end of the spectrum.

We don't have our own style of football. The reason so many teams copy Peps football because it works pretty much everywhere.

I don't think it works in the same league as Guardiola though.

When has a team played pep possesion football and been the better team than Pep's City in the UK?

The only team that has competed and won against City have played a different style enough to say that they have their own work of art and system.

Klopp's Liverpool is the only team to actually defeat City and maybe Conte's Chelsea (cant rememberthe date).

None of those would be called clones of Guardiola football.

Which Guardiola like tactics has worked everywhere BTW? I can't really remember any even in the champions league.

I don't think it works in the same league as Guardiola though.

When has a team played pep possesion football and been the better team than Pep's City in the UK?

The only team that has competed and won against City have played a different style enough to say that they have their own work of art and system.

Klopp's Liverpool is the only team to actually defeat City and maybe Conte's Chelsea (cant rememberthe date).

None of those would be called clones of Guardiola football.

Which Guardiola like has worked everywhere BTW? I can't really remember any
Yes and those teams were amazingly inconsistent, and it really didn't go well. Looking at season after season neither got close.

Well look at every league, there are possession football teams everywhere.

Glad that lost can quieten there fans a little. Laughing at us yet we’ve won more in the last 10 years than both them and spurs. Gonna be our worse nightmare a city/liverpool rivalry

I Don't see them being in a title race come April, it unfortunately looks like Liverpool are the only thing stopping the season from becoming another dull and predictable one horse race

Yes and those teams were amazingly inconsistent, and it really didn't go well. Looking at season after season neither got close.

Well look at every league, there are possession football teams everywhere.

And who is the most successful?

PSG? Leverkusen?

The fact is whilst Pep is in England trying to play his style of football is not going to be successful, other managers may have been inconsistent but consistently better than every other team trying to play this possesion based football.

Not one possesion based team has been successful in the PL apart from City.

Champions League aswell, apart from City its only really been Madrid, Chelsea & Bayern now for a long time and only maybe could Bayern be levelled out as a 'pep' club but I didn't watch their managers like flick to say he played football that arteta and guardiola are playing.

And who is the most successful?

PSG? Leverkusen?

The fact is whilst Pep is in England trying to play his style of football is not going to be successful, other managers may have been inconsistent but consistently better than every other team trying to play this possesion based football.

Not one possesion based team has been successful in the PL apart from City.

Champions League aswell, apart from City its only really been Madrid, Chelsea & Bayern now for a long time and only maybe could Bayern be levelled out as a 'pep' club but I didn't watch their managers like flick to say he played football that arteta and guardiola are playing.
Because since possession football started really coming to the PL, Pep has been here

We don't play anything like pep football, we are closer to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Apologies, I didn't read the post I quoted correctly, i thought he was talking exclusively about Arsenal in terms of copying Peps tactics.

We are still in a very decent position, and that's with people suggesting we aren't playing that well. We do have a tough run coming up, and I've no doubt 1 or 2 negative results and the knives will be out again. We just need to try and get through them not too far adrift of the leading teams. If we can come out the other end of them near the top guys having already been to City, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle and Chelsea then we'd be doing ok.

The bigger issue that Arsenal have shown that they just don't handle adversity well. They collapsed a couple of years ago when Saliba got injured and now are struggling without Odegaard. Their reactions to the red cards this season has also been really poor. If you want to win the title then you still have to try to beat Brighton or Bournemouth, even down to ten men; you can't just try (and fail against Bournemouth) to hang on for a point.

Arteta has to take a lot of responsibility for this. He moans and focus on supposed injustices, which just gives players an excuse for not stepping up. It worked for Mourinho because he had massive characters in his Chelsea and Inter teams who would rise to the adversity and thrive in it. Arsenal lacks those characters, so Arteta needs to find a better way to motivate them.