Arsenal - 2024/25

Arsenal didnt look like a team thats going to be in a title race or get anywhere near City yesterday, as the stats show they were 2nd best in the key area's and will probably lose if they play like that against better teams.

In some ways, the fact the stats were not in Arsenal's favour and they still pulled out a win in an away derby while missing two key midfielders (Rice and Ode) and a player expected to be an important midfielder (Merino) was a positive - winning mentality, grind out wins when not at your best, etc.

Rice will be back for the City match and there is a small possibility Odegaard could be as well.

Nwaneri should probably start or be an early sub against Atalanta. We dont have a whole lot of options and we can afford to slip up in the CL away. Need everyone available fresh against City. I would be in favour of giving Saka a sub role as well. If we can escape being two point down after the City game, that is a pretty solid start to the season considering our schedule so far.
Yep, would be a nice throwback to AW's days.

Never gonna happen.

Arsenal didnt look like a team thats going to be in a title race or get anywhere near City yesterday, as the stats show they were 2nd best in the key area's and will probably lose if they play like that against better teams.

They'll get past 80 points comfortably like previous two seasons. Might not be enough to win the league but I really can't see Liverpool keeping pace with them as they did until mid April last season so a comfortable second again if not perhaps better.

They've already won away to us and Spurs, these are two of the trickier aways in the league these days.

I didn’t even know you had an appalling away record. Over the last 2 years?

Not for last 2 year but for a decade before that. You all have pretty great memories from Fergie era. We post 2008 have memories of nice technical players playing intricate passes but then getting bullied physically and losing and this is not even Stroke City away.
You no idea how good we feel that we aren't getting bullied by any team in the world physically and because of our defense we can loose but no chance we get battered.

Honestly even at 1-0 I wasn't nervous. Even against Brighton we concerned early after that red card before we gained composure.

They'll get past 80 points comfortably like previous two seasons. Might not be enough to win the league but I really can't see Liverpool keeping pace with them as they did until mid April last season so a comfortable second again if not perhaps better.

They've already won away to us and Spurs, these are two of the trickier aways in the league these days.
They'll likely finish second considering the state of the clubs around them, and their best chance of winning the league will be if City get points deducted. Which would be funny considering their manager was at the club during a period which they're being tried for.

The league is virtually impossible because of the cheats but you should do better in UCL. Liverpool reached a final and then won it next season and have been constant threat in the competition. Fans should expect a semi or a final run from a team that pushes to 90+ points in the league.

They lost to Bayern, one of the other favorites for the CL last season, on a 1 goal difference and after 2 close games. Considering that except Zinchenko, Jesus, and Havertz, that was probably the first big UCL KO game for their whole squad (unless I'm forgetting someone), whereas Bayern was full of vastly experienced players, it wasn't really a tragedy IMO.

Their lack of experience showed vs Porto in the previous round too, but the ability is clearly there for them to go deeper in the UCL. Even if they lost vs Porto, it would be clear. They're one of the best teams in Europe and have a real chance to win it this season, just like last season they had a real chance.

Not for last 2 year but for a decade before that. You all have pretty great memories from Fergie era. We post 2008 have memories of nice technical players playing intricate passes but then getting bullied physically and losing and this is not even Stroke City away.
You no idea how good we feel that we aren't getting bullied by any team in the world physically and because of our defense we can loose but no chance we get battered.

Honestly even at 1-0 I wasn't nervous. Even against Brighton we concerned early after that red card before we gained composure.

Think this is it. Many see us as boring to watch, that's totally fine. That's because in general, our games aren't chaotic Basketball type games. The fun games to watch as a neutral, are usually games that at least 1 or both the teams are unorganized, leave big spaces and the game goes end to end. That generally doesn't really make for a successful team.

The best Wenger sides were built on athleticism, pace, power and skill. We have 3 of those now in abundance, what we are lacking a bit is that X-Factor at the top end of the pitch. We haven't found our Anelka / Henry yet.

People need to remember how frustrated Arsenal fans were at weaving pretty patterns in midfield, but then losing to a couple of fast counter or set piece goals. The later Wenger team went too far the other way.

As for criticism of the performance vs Spurs, if you had to survey the forum before hand on how to beat Spurs, nearly all would say keep it tight at the back, because they will leave you space to counter and they'll always give you a chance from open play or a set piece. Very much like the description of us above actually.

Think this is Arsenal’s year. City have not strengthened and surely Haaland can’t keep this up?

Keep Raya, Gabriel & Saliba fit and think you’d edge it this time.

Think this is Arsenal’s year. City have not strengthened and surely Haaland can’t keep this up?

Even if we lose 1-0 or 2-0 to city next weekend?

I think Odegaard might be the most important one to keep fit for Arsenal as there isn't a natural replacement and he's essential to their strength in possession. The depth in their defence is arguably the best in the league with Timber/White/Calafiori/Tomiyasu all able to play in central defence in place of Saliba or Gabriel, who are a fantastic pairing as it is.

Arsenal were imperious defensively against Spurs but looked poor on the ball. This was obviously driven by Rice's absence as well, but I think it was primarily due to Odegaard not being on the pitch.

Even if we lose 1-0 or 2-0 to city next weekend?

Yep, I dont think having City away first this early is actually a blessing, that is the fixture that has tripped Arsenal up last 2 seasons. When it comes to Feb/March and Arsenal are ahead the caveat is always but... City away.

This way Arsenal will know the score 5 games in, City will ofcourse drop points during the season, they dont look amazing defensively.

Arsenal will most likely go there to keep a clean sheet. Having played two of the most difficult games on paper away from home, NLD and City this early in the season.

City's defense this season has proved that they'll concede goals. So they'll eventually drop points.

I'd be happy with a draw on Sunday. If you had told me before the season that we'd get two draws and the rest wins in that opening slate of matches, then I'd have happily taken it. Wins at Villa and Spurs could've easily been bad.

We will likely be going with a low block...our midfield just doesn't look to be clicking yet. Jorginho did a lot on the pitch, but it wasn't all good. Better than Partey, but we cannot go toe to toe with City with this midfield even with Rice coming back in. Havertz was pretty good on the weekend. Seemed to be everywhere. Again, it didnt all work out but he was solid. We really need Martinelli to take the one chance he will likely get in this one. He needs to play. We need that outlet or City will be entirely camped in our half. I hope Saliba handles Haaland again this weekend. Can't do much worse than all of the CBs Haaland has faced so far this year. It's been an absolute joke.

Think this is it. Many see us as boring to watch, that's totally fine.

Saddens me to say that I find Arsenal the most entertaining team to watch in the league.They have a really good mix of everything and have a really good set up. Only thing they are missing is that xfactor up front as you said.

Hope we rotate a bunch on Thursday. City have an extra day and are playing their CL game at home.

Yep, I dont think having City away first this early is actually a blessing, that is the fixture that has tripped Arsenal up last 2 seasons. When it comes to Feb/March and Arsenal are ahead the caveat is always but... City away.

This way Arsenal will know the score 5 games in, City will ofcourse drop points during the season, they dont look amazing defensively.

Arsenal will most likely go there to keep a clean sheet. Having played two of the most difficult games on paper away from home, NLD and City this early in the season.
And Villa away...
Thats not an easy fixture these days.

And Villa away...
Thats not an easy fixture these days.

Exactly, which is why I think Arsenal can win it this year, the biggest away test they will have after City is Newcastle.

I dont think even Anfield will be that difficult for them this season.

The season end is definitely kinder which I prefer. It will make the CL run-in and schedule related fitness issues a bit more manageable.

City are still clear favourites for the league. If they arent banned or deducted points, they'll win the league again. Thereafter its Arsenal and Liverpool to complete the top 3.

I'd put Arsenal ahead of Liverpool because Arsenal are together in their system for longer and can play in many many ways now. Being able to largely nullify a super tactical side like Emery and to turn the tables on Spurs with key players missing shows how tactically versatile Arsenal are. They can play a tactical and defensively focused game at almost the same level as their attacking game.

Liverpool would finish third for me, although they can finish ahead of Arsenal in second. I like what Im seeing from Slot, he is also showing tactical variety, and more defensive organisation in addition to their attacking game. They will go from strength to strength across the season.

I'd say City are a 95 point team if they stay fit. Arsenal around 90 points and Liverpool 85-90 points.

I am not quite sure how good Pool will be this year. It's hard to judge after a manager change like that one. I had them originally placed in 4th and so far I would keep that bet. People were putting pool up on a pedestal after the Man Utd game, but Man Utd were so poor that game, that I just didn't want to gauge much from it.

I am not quite sure how good Pool will be this year. It's hard to judge after a manager change like that one. I had them originally placed in 4th and so far I would keep that bet. People were putting pool up on a pedestal after the Man Utd game, but Man Utd were so poor that game, that I just didn't want to gauge much from it.

Yep this. I said to my mate who supports Liverpool that Manutd will be a false positive for Liverpool.

We saw last season with Ange and other seasons with other managers where they start really well until they hit injuries, fixture congestions etc.. how the manager then gets the best out his players.

Nwaneri should probably start or be an early sub against Atalanta. We dont have a whole lot of options and we can afford to slip up in the CL away. Need everyone available fresh against City. I would be in favour of giving Saka a sub role as well. If we can escape being two point down after the City game, that is a pretty solid start to the season considering our schedule so far.

£1.1m a win….

I reckon you’ll win it this year. Starting strong will be important.

Odegaard injured
Terrible news. Havertz has been great as a striker sort of guy but was again torrid in midfield against Spurs, which means we need an answer to this. I am still not convinced him selling Viera was a good thing (selling or on loan). We have Nwaheri who looked sharp for his age but there is no way a 17 year old can fill this spot week in week out.

Don't think we will see him back until at least November. Wasn't too impressed with our midfield laat Sunday, so hopefully that return date is sooner rather than later.

We have 4 players that are hard to match/replace. Saliba and Gabriel are just so good together that any of those two out will likely show. But we have replacements available.

Saka and Odegaard...nope, we really dont have. All those guys going in to replace them are playing out of position. That's why I wanted Olise this summer. Thought he would have been a great squad addition.

We beat Spurs with our entire 3 starting midfielders out and without our marquee summer signing at LB.

I think Timber is your first choice left back no? With Timber, Calafiori and Ben White all being able to deputise for the two bomb proof centre halves?

I’d be amazed if the Italian became first choice this year.

Either way, truly exceptional defensive squad building by Arteta. With Zinchenko and Tomiyasu fit, you’ve pretty much got the leagues best defence every single weekend, with only the smallest drop offs in quality if one of the first choice are rested or injured.

Jealous.

They've been fairly uninspiring this season thus far.

Top notch defensively. They’re probably the best defensive team in all of Europe, but yeah uninspiring is the right word as an attacking unit.

They've been fairly uninspiring this season thus far.
People associate Arteta with Guardiola but he spent a long time under Moyes as well. Unsurprising that a team would struggle to score with four centre backs, two defensive mids and a non-goalscoring striker.

One injury to Odegaard and they lose all the creativity apparently. Imagine one injury to saliba and they will look vulnerable defensively as well. And If any further injuries they are back to arteta's arsenal that were bottling 4th place.

That was barnburner. Quality of thst one summed by Martinelli's finishing....nice save Raya. Yea, that about covers the game.

This Arsenal side are basically everything I hate about modern (on-field) football.

4xCBs, 2xDMs. Immediate unpunished tactical foul if they ever lose the ball in a position where they have less than 9 men back. Constant diving and shithousing from the front three players to buy set pieces. Nick a goal from a set piece or hope Saka can knock one in from 25 yards. When you're winning, check the rota to see whose turn it is to do the nice little timewasting fake injury and pep talk. Rinse and repeat.

It's very effective. Absolute dogshit to watch. Mourinho would blush.

One injury to Odegaard and they lose all the creativity apparently. Imagine one injury to saliba and they will look vulnerable defensively as well. And If any further injuries they are back to arteta's arsenal that were bottling 4th place.
Rice is a good player in so many ways, brilliant physical presence, good awareness, determination/attitude etc and can play a bit. But he's just not good enough technically at the elite level to run a midfield on the ball, or create. Odegaard makes up for that and it works well but without him it shows. Also shows for England without that partner. If you do have that technical genius, he's as good as you'd want as a foil, but without it, it often falls apart offensively.