Arsenal - 2024/25

This Arsenal side are basically everything I hate about modern (on-field) football.

4xCBs, 2xDMs. Immediate unpunished tactical foul if they ever lose the ball in a position where they have less than 9 men back. Constant diving and shithousing from the front three players to buy set pieces. Nick a goal from a set piece or hope Saka can knock one in from 25 yards. When you're winning, check the rota to see whose turn it is to do the nice little timewasting fake injury and pep talk. Rinse and repeat.

It's very effective. Absolute dogshit to watch. Mourinho would blush.
To be fair, this is only one dimension to our game, introduced in 23/24.
We can still be the possession-dominating, free-flowing side, just like in the second half of last season. We don't seem to be able to find that form yet. But the potential is there.

They need to start winning trophies because sooner or later their fans will get fed up of watching that dross without any reward.

I do tune in to hate-watch our rivals on the off chance they lose.

Arsenal may be my least favourite team to watch as they're so solid defensively it never really feels like the opposition will score.

They've started off the season the same way they did last year, not much in attack and relying on the defence.

I suspect City at the weekend will be another 0-0 or 1-0 either way with barely a chance on goal.

Arsenal fans used to hate Jose and his boring football, and now they are doing the exact same things. At least peak Jose team were fun on counters. This Arsenal side on most occasions against any half decent side just sit back.

I do tune in to hate-watch our rivals on the off chance they lose.

Arsenal may be my least favourite team to watch as they're so solid defensively it never really feels like the opposition will score.

They've started off the season the same way they did last year, not much in attack and relying on the defence.

I suspect City at the weekend will be another 0-0 or 1-0 either way with barely a chance on goal.
I’m not going to bother watching.

Arsenal fans used to hate Jose and his boring football, and now they are doing the exact same things. At least peak Jose team were fun on counters. This Arsenal side on most occasions against any half decent side just sit back.

When Arteta first joined they just sat back aswell but had a one man counter attack with prime Aubameyang. I'm starting to believe he's just not a good offensive manager.

And none of our teams were as bad anti football wise as this lot, perhaps only the 2012 one but most of our players then were over the hill at that point so it was necessary to win the CL.

This Arsenal side are basically everything I hate about modern (on-field) football.

4xCBs, 2xDMs. Immediate unpunished tactical foul if they ever lose the ball in a position where they have less than 9 men back. Constant diving and shithousing from the front three players to buy set pieces. Nick a goal from a set piece or hope Saka can knock one in from 25 yards. When you're winning, check the rota to see whose turn it is to do the nice little timewasting fake injury and pep talk. Rinse and repeat.

It's very effective. Absolute dogshit to watch. Mourinho would blush.

It’s all of the worst parts of Pep ball without the brilliant attacking side of it.

Look, I can respect getting results when needed and grinding it out, but Jesus Christ just the way they’ve set up and bought recently is everything I hate. There’s 0 risk in how they play. It’s why I think harsh punishments for any sort of tactical fouling would go a long way towards fixing the dull viewing of some of these top sides, because you then wouldn’t have City or Arsenal hacking you down in your own half every time you’re passing through the counter press looking to break.

Really surprised Arsenal didn’t push for a forward this summer harder either, Havertz and Martinelli is very uninspiring in terms of firepower. But hey at least they brought in another hybrid CB!

Funny, last year when we were free scoring in the second half of the season, we were way more entertaining than City as per rival fans. Start of a new season, and a few games in, without Odegaard, we are the most uninspiring team in the world. It is really all about what have you done for me lately attitude isn't it?

We are not comparable to the Wenger days but we are capable of some pretty good football. We started the last season very slow attack-wise too.

Funny, last year when we were free scoring in the second half of the season, we were way more entertaining than City as per rival fans. Start of a new season, and a few games in, without Odegaard, we are the most uninspiring team in the world. It is really all about what have you done for me lately attitude isn't it?

We are not comparable to the Wenger days but we are capable of some pretty good football. We started the last season very slow attack-wise too.

I'd be interested to know how many of your goals to take the lead came from set pieces last season, which causes teams to open up more and then you pick them off.

When Arteta first joined they just sat back aswell but had a one man counter attack with prime Aubameyang. I'm starting to believe he's just not a good offensive manager.

And none of our teams were as bad anti football wise as this lot, perhaps only the 2012 one but most of our players then were over the hill at that point so it was necessary to win the CL.
We scored 91 goals in the league last season

I'd be interested to know how many of your goals to take the lead came from set pieces last season, which causes teams to open up more and then you pick them off.
We had 4 more set piece goals than City last year.

Yeah, I’m not buying that Arteta is a defensive manager or Arsenal is a defensive side. You scored last season or two for fun. Sure, Lego Pep is prioritising being defensively solid first and foremost but comparing him to Jose is laughable. If anything he’s a possession based manager and his team controls most of the games for a start.

I absolutely hate the sight of him but can admit he’s a well balanced manager in terms of his footballing approach. Can mix up every now and then as we saw against spurs. Whether he’s capable enough or not to win major titles only time will tell but pressure is on for sure.

I mean I find both brands of football pretty dull, but City has tended to have more game breaking attackers that are enjoyable to watch while Arsenal has mainly been Saka and then everything else chipped in from Ode, Havertz, Trossard, and set pieces.

Just feels like Arteta has shifted more and more to solidity at all costs and scoring through swamping a team and bundling in enough goals but it feels far less fluid than it did 2 years ago

Last season we were defensively oriented as well when the season started. I think it makes sense...you build confidence from the back, and our defense is the best in the league. We will find out legs a little more in attack in the second half of the season for sure. Need Odegaard back too, and we really need one more attacking threat.

I don't think arsenal fans should be offended by the fact their side is defensive first than attack. It's not a bad thing at all.

Yes, they played some good football in some games last season but overall their style of football is not that pleasing to eye. Pep's city in their first initial years played some fast flowing aggressive football. Same with Liverpool under Klopp till 2020. I don't think arsenal under arteta are that exciting but then they shouldn't care if it leads to trophies.

They are missing an unpredictable winger like Doku or prime Nani.

That’s what I’m saying. You’d see far less complaints if they had a Nico Williams or Kvara on that LW.

But I also think a lot of this is indicative of the broader issue many have with modern football. Arsenal under Arteta are a prime example of it: they’ve prioritized having athletes with PnP at every position (not a bad thing) and having fullbacks/ midfielders mainly for dueling/pressing at a top level. But it sacrifices a lot of the beauty and creativity of football especially when Odegaard is out, and poor Saka basically gets run into the ground every year as well. Obviously they still score more than enough goals, but much of that is in the modern way with “field tilt” and similar metrics where they just swamp teams that are unable to get out of their box, and if you have enough tries you’ll get the ball in the back of the net.

I’m shocked Nwaneri hasn’t been utilized in games like tonight. That team is crying out for another artist,

Yeah, I’m not buying that Arteta is a defensive manager or Arsenal is a defensive side. You scored last season or two for fun. Sure, Lego Pep is prioritising being defensively solid first and foremost but comparing him to Jose is laughable. If anything he’s a possession based manager and his team controls most of the games for a start.
I mean you say Arteta isn't defensive citing the goals Arsenal scored but doesn't Jose hold the record for goals in a season in any top 5 league? (CBA to check if City have broken it or not recent years).