Arsenal - 2024/25

You can’t suddenly argue Merino is a first team player when he hasn’t even played a game! As said above, he may well eventually take over Partey but to suddenly cry foul when a player who hasn’t even played a game is missing is confusing.

So your argument was that they should've signed midfield depth, and then the guy mentions the player they've signed for this purpose, but he doesn't fit your own criteria and therefore Merino doesn't matter? :lol:

Credit to Arteta and the board that supported him in the turnaround. Consistency is such a valuable quality for a club.

Merino will very likely be a starter soon after he recovers, so yes it is like losing a starter. It is like De Ligt getting injured or Timber last year for us. The expectation is there. Odegaard in particular is hard to replace for us. Really Nwaneri might the best bet long term but he is only 17 years old. We should probably have gone for a slightly over the hill backup that could play a little here and there at 10 and even sub in for Saka once in a while, but I am hoping we didn't do that in order to give the youngster more chances....which I am completely on board with. He of course is not up to speed with the tactical nuances like Odegaard or even that creative, but he has some amazing attributes of his own. I still am not sure if he is a future left sided 8 or 10. I think more the former.

Partey after all the issues surrounding him off the field and on the treatment table has been a player that is scheduled to be phased out.

Awesome to see Timber playing as well as he did. We really could have used that last year. Our backline is the best it has been in decades in my opinion. Saliba and Gabriel are bosses.

Seeing them consistently going trophyless would be excellent. Long may it continue.
I expected this pathetic response and its a pity because of how some undervalue incremental progress as compared to an odd cup here and there. Arsenal are far better positioned to win big trophies than Utd. Whether they do or not is a different story but I know what i would want from Utd on a weekly basis.

I'm too young to remember the 'boring boring Arsenal' from the early 90s, but i remember Wenger's first Arsenal title team who were absolutely brutal and insanely strong (something like 18 goals conceded in an entire league season). I've otherwise never associated Arsenal with the kind of football they play under Arteta. It's really effective and you'd fancy them to fight any team. A far cry from the post invincibles era and a big credit to him.

I expected this pathetic response and its a pity because of how some undervalue incremental progress as compared to an odd cup here and there. Arsenal are far better positioned to win big trophies than Utd. Whether they do or not is a different story but I know what i would want from Utd on a weekly basis.

Relax, it wasn’t an overly serious post. That said I find Arteta to be an insufferable wanker and I don’t care much for Arsenal either so even if they are making progress I certainly won’t be giving them credit for it. Also, there will come a point where that progress has to be measured in trophies, they’ve spent a fortune under Arteta already and putting up a title challenge without getting over the line will only fly for so long, especially when you’re getting dumped out the domestic cups early doors and aren’t doing much in Europe. This is a big season for them.

Also, there will come a point where that progress has to be measured in trophies, they’ve spent a fortune under Arteta already and putting up a title challenge without getting over the line will only fly for so long, especially when you’re getting dumped out the domestic cups early doors and aren’t doing much in Europe. This is a big season for them.
Only some opposition fans think this.

Currently most Arsenal fans don't care of domestic trophies. We won like 4 FA cups in the last decade. 1 more doesn't change a thing for us. Arteta has already won one but still people keep on saying he has never won anything. And I have no problems with that but people cannot have it both ways.

Also 115 City with Pep as a manager and that Robot up top would need something insane to beat them kind of the start Liverpool got when they won the title. That was an insane run by Liverpool ans nobody expects that. As a matter of fact nobody expects anyone other than City to win the PL. So come may when the expected thing happens that cannot be classified as under achievement.

For me and most Arsenal fans target is 90+ points (hopefully 95) and see how it goes.

PS: Since Arteta joined ManUtd Chelsea have spent more and Spurs almost equal to us. So the spending also needs to be put in context.

Only some opposition fans think this.

Currently most Arsenal fans don't care of domestic trophies. We won like 4 FA cups in the last decade. 1 more doesn't change a thing for us. Arteta has already won one but still people keep on saying he has never won anything. And I have no problems with that but people cannot have it both ways.

Also 115 City with Pep as a manager and that Robot up top would need something insane to beat them kind of the start Liverpool got when they won the title. That was an insane run by Liverpool ans nobody expects that. As a matter of fact nobody expects anyone other than City to win the PL. So come may when the expected thing happens that cannot be classified as under achievement.

For me and most Arsenal fans target is 90+ points (hopefully 95) and see how it goes.
The league is virtually impossible because of the cheats but you should do better in UCL. Liverpool reached a final and then won it next season and have been constant threat in the competition. Fans should expect a semi or a final run from a team that pushes to 90+ points in the league.

You'd think they've just done a Leicester 2.0 the way people are carrying on, literally two players who would have started this match were unavailable.

Last time we played them we beat them 2-0 with 9 senior outfielders and not one of our first choice backline.

Excellent win. Ground it out in the end but hardly looked in trouble barring few passages of play.

Also glad to see the discourse here has reached "but Arsenull always losers gnrhh hyuk" levels. We're on an upward trajectory, newbs of redcafe, keep at it.

I was surprised they made as difficult work of Spurs as they did. The latter are a very one note team - keep the ball well whilst doing little in attack and being ropey defensively.

Bet you didn’t have this energy 3 years ago. ;)

What about the other trophies?

You guys are correct, we need to do better in CL especially as let's be honest besides City, Madrid and Bayern every other big team isn't what they were. However I would not just chuck Arteta out if we didn't. Because no other manager in the world could beat Pep. Klopp only managed it once across 7 seasons.

If City are docked points then yes 100% no excuse for Arteta not to win it whatsoever.

Still think that goal should have been disallowed but they did well to grind out a result with key midfield players missing.

One think Arteta has been exceptional at is creating a very compact team that is incredibly hard to break down.

You'd think they've just done a Leicester 2.0 the way people are carrying on, literally two players who would have started this match were unavailable.

Last time we played them we beat them 2-0 with 9 senior outfielders and not one of our first choice backline.

I was surprised they made as difficult work of Spurs as they did. The latter are a very one note team - keep the ball well whilst doing little in attack and being ropey defensively.

We were missing Odegaard and Rice and had Merino been fit none of Partey, Jorgniho would have played. This also meant Havertz was put in midfield, which we know since last season is pointless. Therefore we couldn't control the game in any way other than sit back. Even then had Martinelli not been utterly selfish in the first half we'd scored way earlier.

I don't understand some posts here at all.

In the last 11 away games we have scored 28 goals, conceded 3, with 10 wins and one draw. Which, considering our appalling away record, is nothing short of excellent. This is also only our third away win vs Spurs in a row for I don't know, half a century. Something even Wenger's great Arsenal teams never managed.

We were missing Odegaard and Rice and had Merino been fit none of Partey, Jorgniho would have played. This also meant Havertz was put in midfield, which we know since last season is pointless. Therefore we couldn't control the game in any way other than sit back. Even then had Martinelli not been utterly selfish in the first half we'd scored way earlier.

I don't understand some posts here at all.

In the last 11 away games we have scored 28 goals, conceded 3, with 10 wins and one draw. Which, considering our appalling away record, is nothing short of excellent. This is also only our third away win vs Spurs in a row for I don't know, half a century. Something even Wenger's great Arsenal teams never managed.
I didn’t even know you had an appalling away record. Over the last 2 years?

Still think that goal should have been disallowed but they did well to grind out a result with key midfield players missing.

One think Arteta has been exceptional at is creating a very compact team that is incredibly hard to break down.
Completely agree with the second one, like I said before actually hints of a Mourinho team!

Thought they were sensational defensively yesterday. Saliba rightly gets the plaudits but Gabriel is a very good CB in his own right and probably underrated given the lack of praise he gets in the general press.

Only goal they've conceded this season is when they went down to 10 men.

I'd say they have the best defensive unit in the league as Man. City can give away cheap goals if you genuinely attack them but very few opponents do.

Thought they were sensational defensively yesterday. Saliba rightly gets the plaudits but Gabriel is a very good CB in his own right and probably underrated given the lack of praise he gets in the general press.

I'd say they have the best defensive unit in the league as Man. City can give away cheap goals if you genuinely attack them but very few opponents do.
Arsenal are even better defensively than City, but Spurs yesterday were quite useless against them - they got forward well but their front men didn't really test them that much, it was a lot of hopeful balls into the box, which were easy to deal with.

I am also very happy with Raya at the moment. It's all calm now back there, and you can tell the whole defense has confidence in him.

This isn't Wenger football, but it isnt Graham football either. It's pragmatic and although we are not going to do it beautiful each time, there is for me tactically a higher ceilingi n the CL.

We do need to have a bit more swagger sometimes...let some arrogance show on the pitch.

I feel our midfield isn't quite there. We lack a bit of depth obviously, but Partey and Jorginho were off the pace most of the game. We gave up too much possession, and when we did have it we lost cheaply. Glad Rice will be back for the City clash but Trossard is going to have to have a lot more influence if we are to get a result. Maybe change up Trossard and Havertz.

Kudos to Arteta. Arsenal was an absolute joke before this. Top 4 top 4 was the only thing they could achieve. Now they might not have won the league but they are till in the race. They are the only one making city earn their title.

I would say in Europe. No other team has the same hunger to defend as they do, as a team. This is why even if Ben white has a tough day against Son, not much came of it because the rest of the team is there to bail him out.

Arsenal didnt look like a team thats going to be in a title race or get anywhere near City yesterday, as the stats show they were 2nd best in the key area's and will probably lose if they play like that against better teams.

Arsenal didnt look like a team thats going to be in a title race or get anywhere near City yesterday, as the stats show they were 2nd best in the key area's and will probably lose if they play like that against better teams.

Hopefully we will have Odegaard, Rice, and Merino starting in midfield against better teams and more than three senior field players on the bench.

They probably wont be missing 2 vital pieces of their starting 11 every week either.

The stats can show what they want but the main one is they still got 3 points in the derby away from home. The confidence boost that must give them is immense.

I didn’t even know you had an appalling away record. Over the last 2 years?
Not last year, the year before when we collapsed in the last few months and were leaking goals after Saliba got injured.

Last year since Feb its been great with some big scoring wins away from home and some good wins against teams we have been dire away (United for instance, only 3 wins in 18 years and 2 of those in the last 4(!). And seeing our team being bulled since 2004 by any team playing physical, its been a good change.

If City do get docked points (and rightfully) there is zero excuse for us then not to win it. And if we don't then, then I am sure Arteta would need to have some answers.

They have City away next Sunday and if they play the way they did yesterday its not going to be a good afternoon for them.
We played like this against City last year as well and actually could have won the game in the end at the Etihad. And over 2 games they had 2 shots on target, fewest Pep has ever faced. With a full team yes ofcourse we would survive.

Without Odegaard we might not have the midfield class to carve out any chances. As Havertz was made to play in the midfield yesterday and he wasn't the best.

Nwaneri should probably start or be an early sub against Atalanta. We dont have a whole lot of options and we can afford to slip up in the CL away. Need everyone available fresh against City. I would be in favour of giving Saka a sub role as well. If we can escape being two point down after the City game, that is a pretty solid start to the season considering our schedule so far.