Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

Doesn't look like qualification for next year going too well though
Needed to find our feet a bit under the new manager, but we seemed to have found our groove. Our league is terrible this year and judging by quality we should be able to get 2nd place.

Psv are already too far ahead again, but Ajax and Utrecht are worse teams than us.

Needed to find our feet a bit under the new manager, but we seemed to have found our groove. Our league is terrible this year and judging by quality we should be able to get 2nd place.

Psv are already too far ahead again, but Ajax and Utrecht are worse teams than us.
This year? :smirk:

It's pretty ridiculous how easy the transition has been for them, but if there's one thing Liverpool are, its really well run. Looks like the right manager pick and the right prep work done in advance, as things stand.

Having said that, it's easy to come in and tweak someone else's team, less easy to maintain it. We'll see how it goes. He might be brilliant, but tough to know whether or not he's still benefiting from the coaching work Klopp put in. Might take 6-18 months to find out.

Tom

Big opportunity on the weekend. Seems like Arsenal will be without Timber, Saka, Saliba and Calafiori, as well as Odegaard.

This is by far our hardest fixture we've had under Slot but those players missing will have an impact.

Two Dutch bald headed managers and we got Ten Hag.

To make matters worse, we chose first ….ffs!

This might not help much, but I have a suspicion Slot would have looked just as bad at United and TH would have been moderately successful at Liverpool.

Utd have been through a lot of highly rated managers and players in the last 10 years and made a lot of them look worse 12 months after their arrival.

How do Belgians get to say that?

(Neighbourly fights are the best.)
:lol: Fair, yeah.

I do feel like Bruges has been a level ahead of the best Dutch teams the last few years, basically since Ten Hag left Ajax. But maybe I’m underestimating PSV last year of Slot’s Feyenoord side, could be.

I do feel like Bruges has been a level ahead of the best Dutch teams the last few years, basically since Ten Hag left Ajax. But maybe I’m underestimating PSV last year of Slot’s Feyenoord side, could be.
If I see how do they do in Europe, I would really doubt that. PSV is quite good now, as was Feyenoord under Slot (for the Eredivisie, anyway). But I don't know much about Bruges. Would be fun if they played each other in Europe.

It's pretty ridiculous how easy the transition has been for them, but if there's one thing Liverpool are, its really well run. Looks like the right manager pick and the right prep work done in advance, as things stand.

Having said that, it's easy to come in and tweak someone else's team, less easy to maintain it. We'll see how it goes. He might be brilliant, but tough to know whether or not he's still benefiting from the coaching work Klopp put in. Might take 6-18 months to find out.

Tom
Big fan of signing off caf posts like an email.

This might not help much, but I have a suspicion Slot would have looked just as bad at United and TH would have been moderately successful at Liverpool.

Utd have been through a lot of highly rated managers and players in the last 10 years and made a lot of them look worse 12 months after their arrival.
Think the main difference between Slot and Ten Hag is Slot would not have wasted the best part of £600m on Ten Hag’s transfers ….can be certain under Slot the current Utd squad would look very different.

Think the main difference between Slot and Ten Hag is Slot would not have wasted the best part of £600m on Ten Hag’s transfers ….can be certain under Slot the current Utd squad would look very different.
Not saying you’re wrong, but what evidence do we have to back up this assumption? As far as I know, Slot has never been responsible for recruitment at this level before.

Why? Who did Slot personally select to buy in the summer and who did he turn down? What's your opinion based on?

Honeymoon periods can be awfully long. Look at the run we went in under Ole with he took over as caretaker.
Liverpool squad have been underrated by a lot on here for years. Slot has been very impressive with putting his stamp on the playing style, Gravenberch looks a new player, Arnold adapting to be more controlled, overall the team playing a far more controlled game. He's a good coach but having quality players definitely helps

Why? Who did Slot personally select to buy in the summer and who did he turn down? What's your opinion based on?
To be fair it seemed he really wanted Zubimendi, a technical player, and did not care for Ugarte at all.

Like most opinions, based on probability, in this case very high.

If you need to know Slot’s transfers in and out take a look yourself.

Last edited:
Not saying you’re wrong, but what evidence do we have to back up this assumption? As far as I know, Slot has never been responsible for recruitment at this level before.
Yes Slot is at a far higher level now. Next transfer window may indicate the type of player he wants.

Like most opinions, based on probability, in this case very high.

If you need to know Slot’s transfers in and out take a look yourself.
What a first class way to discuss things; I can’t be bothered to back up what I’ve said you need to “do your own research”. Absolute Matt Le Tissier like approach.

Depends how you define moderate success? Winning a few trophies…?

What a first class way to discuss things; I can’t be bothered to back up what I’ve said you need to “do your own research”. Absolute Matt Le Tissier like approach.
‘ Transfermarkt ‘ ….it’s not difficult !

Slot is not going to be the decisive part of our transfer policy. The club has been quite meticulous about their messaging that he's been hired as "head coach" and that Hughes is the main driver here.

Reminder Ten Hag had a 75% win rate after November in his first season in charge. Plenty of time for everything to fall apart.

If Liverpool finish the season well and start well next year then Slot might be the real deal.

Slot inherited better players than ETH and the club is more stable compared to United in summer of 2022. As a result, direct comparisons aren’t massively helpful. Slot’s also probably better, but only time will tell on that one.

Feyenoord made the conf league final in Slot's first season and nearly the Europa League semi's in his second season. Psv got to the KO stages of the CL last year and almost won the league unbeaten.

I don't follow Brugge that well, but didnt they play conference league last year?

Either way, the fact Ruud Vormer was a respected player in the Belgian league for years just renders the whole thing irrelevant.

Slot inherited better players than ETH and the club is more stable compared to United in summer of 2022. As a result, direct comparisons aren’t massively helpful. Slot’s also probably better, but only time will tell on that one.

They’re potentially losing TAA, Salah and VVD all for nothing come the summer. If that does happen it’ll be super interesting to see how they replace an entire spine.

Annoyingly I don’t see them all going, but I think the most likely to leave is Trent for sure. VVD as captain is most likely to stay, Salah feels more 50:50.

Add to them Robertson and Alisson, with the former starting to regress and the latter’s replacement already been signed, it’ll be interesting to see how Slot fairs when Klopp’s mainstays move on.

Jeez! ….go ask him if you’re that interested to know.

Every now and then you find one….
But you truly don't have evidence. Slot played a large role in transfers at Feyenoord together with their DOF, but the players they brought in are nowhere near Liverpool's level. They also brought in a lot of them and it was rather hit and miss - even if there were obviously enough hits for Feyenoord to domwell. (@KirkDuyt will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Similarly, Ten Hag was his own DOF at Utrecht and did pretty well at that level. That's a little below Feyenoord again of course, and his input on transfers at Ajax was considered not great. But even so, it's not wildly different form Slot's record in this regard.

But the point is entirely moot anyway. Liverpool doesn't let the coach decide on transfers and neither should United have. Transfer policy just shouldn't be in the coach's realm at this level (apart from input at decision moments), and so how good they are at it is pretty irrelevant. No-one knows Guardiola's record in that regard, for example - cause he doesn't have one.

Jeez! ….go ask him if you’re that interested to know.

Every now and then you find one….
Also, this is a pretty odd reaction. You can't possibly blame people for wanting arguments for a strong statement like yours.

But you truly don't have evidence. Slot played a large role in transfers at Feyenoord together with their DOF, but the players they brought in are nowhere near Liverpool's level. They also brought in a lot of them and it was rather hit and miss - even if there were obviously enough hits for Feyenoord to domwell. (@KirkDuyt will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Similarly, Ten Hag was his own DOF at Utrecht and did pretty well at that level. That's a little below Feyenoord again of course, and his input on transfers at Ajax was considered not great. But even so, it's not wildly different form Slot's record in this regard.

But the point is entirely moot anyway. Liverpool doesn't let the coach decide on transfers and neither should United have. Transfer policy just shouldn't be in the coach's realm at this level (apart from input at decision moments), and so how good they are at it is pretty irrelevant. No-one knows Guardiola's record in that regard, for example - cause he doesn't have one.
Slot bought some good players and some shite players. Not really someone who only buys players he knows however, unlike Ten Hag.

Not really his transferstrategy that improved us so much though. More that he improved players vastly. Kokcu being the prime example, as well as Timber last season.

Last edited:
Our league is never great, but with Ajax falling off it's especially shite at the moment.
What do you think is the reason for Ajax fall from grace? I know they have sold a lot of players, but they have always been able to fill the gaps with new talents. Have their recruitment been bad? Is their manager bad? Will they be back soon?

They’re potentially losing TAA, Salah and VVD all for nothing come the summer. If that does happen it’ll be super interesting to see how they replace an entire spine.

Annoyingly I don’t see them all going, but I think the most likely to leave is Trent for sure. VVD as captain is most likely to stay, Salah feels more 50:50.

Add to them Robertson and Alisson, with the former starting to regress and the latter’s replacement already been signed, it’ll be interesting to see how Slot fairs when Klopp’s mainstays move on.
I do think TAA is Madrid bound, but the other two will stay.
He really shouldn´t have a better squad than us after the 600mill 10hag has spent on incredibly average players. Our transfers is the biggest failure, with that money spend we should have an all-star squad.

What do you think is the reason for Ajax fall from grace? I know they have sold a lot of players, but they have always been able to fill the gaps with new talents. Have their recruitment been bad? Is their manager bad? Will they be back soon?
The Overmars replacement did poor and subsequently terrible job, and Ten Hag's replacements were unsuitable as well. They might be getting back on their feet now though - slowly. They have enough money to stay relevant in the Eredivisie and rebuild themselves.

They lost all their star players from their CL semi side and replaced them mostly with crap. They appointed a poor successor to Ten Hag and an even poorer successor to him. Then they gave the keys to their entire club to Sven Mislintat who spend about 120 million on semi pro players.

And throwing 120 million down the drain is very hard to quickly recover from for a Dutch club. Ajax is also unrivaled in entirely imploding on all levels when results are bad.

They're slowly crawling back, but it will probably be a season or 2 before they'll be as serious league contender again. PSV, Twente, AZ, Feyenoord and even FC Utrecht are all better than them.

I don’t agree with this. Without saying who is or isn’t the better coach, but Arne oozes comfort and tranquility, if he had done ‘just as bad’ as Erik, I’m sure the fanbase would have been waaaaay more forgiving to Arne just because of his personality and communication. The guy has the quality to make a badly run club look good