Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

I was watching curiously whether he would find a cure for cancer first or lose a match in premier league football. Unfortunately for the world, it was the latter.

What happened? Did he run out of ideas? How come he wasn't able to pull another unseen tactical genius in the second half like the one he pulled against the mighty Ipswich. :(

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-as-new-tactics-unveiled-says-jamie-carragher

Following Klopp is a difficult job for anybody. He treated those players and staff like one big family. Don't think I can ever remember him calling out his players in post match pressers. Slot doesn't come accross well in the media. His actions when Trent threw a tantrum in the stands didn't look good. The only reason why he did that was obviously to make a point in front of the cameras. He also hung his players out indirectly in the media after the Forest defeat. He risks getting those big named players against him pretty soon. He's treading on dangerous ground and them scousers are not known for taking prisoners.

Following Klopp is a difficult job for anybody. He treated those players and staff like one big family. Don't think I can ever remember him calling out his players in post match pressers. Slot doesn't come accross well in the media. His actions when Trent threw a tantrum in the stands didn't look good. The only reason why he did that was obviously to make a point in front of the cameras. He also hung his players out indirectly in the media after the Forest defeat. He risks getting those big named players against him pretty soon. He's treading on dangerous ground and them scousers are not known for taking prisoners.

I can see this imploding. He called out Quansah in the first game and now he has called out Szoboslai saying at Pool a advanced player needs more numbers.

He also comes across very disrespectful against other clubs, I get people found it funny in his post match against United where rival and United fans said "Slot told everyone our tactics in 30 seconds" but he has also been disrespectful to Notts Forest. Just because liverpool are a big name, it is not a given that you beat smaller clubs.

I can see this imploding. He called out Quansah in the first game and now he has called out Szoboslai saying at Pool a advanced player needs more numbers.

He also comes across very disrespectful against other clubs, I get people found it funny in his post match against United where rival and United fans said "Slot told everyone our tactics in 30 seconds" but he has also been disrespectful to Notts Forest. Just because liverpool are a big name, it is not a given that you beat smaller clubs.
Would imagine any manager in the league could easily talk through Slot's tactics after a game too. They likely wouldn't do it though, as they aren't all so fond of their own emissions.

Would imagine any manager in the league could easily talk through Slot's tactics after a game too. They likely wouldn't do it though, as they aren't all so fond of their own emissions.

Exactly, whereas Slot is coming across that way. With all the talk I am hearing from Liverpool fans, Jamie Carragher, them not getting top 4 would be the best thing that can happen.

This is a possibility. He doesn't sound like he has the relationship skills of Klopp, which is pretty much what held everything together despite the decline in squad quality.

He doesn't sound like he has the relationship skills of Klopp, which is pretty much what held everything together despite the decline in squad quality.
Very few people have that level of interpersonal skills. Klopp would've been worshipped here as well. No shame for Slot to fall short on that front.

But explicitly calling out specific players this early into his job is a strange one for any manger.

Not sure how his post match interview after United was disrespectful. They asked him what he did tactically and he gave them an answer.

Shots fired?

Unlike most people in football he can string multiple sentences together without saying uuuhhhhhh. Big deal.

Edit: note to self. Why are you defending Liverpool's manager on Redcafe. Only darkness, this path will bring.

Last edited:
Not sure how his post match interview after United was disrespectful. They asked him what he did tactically and he gave them an answer.

Shots fired?

Unlike most people in football he can string multiple sentences together without saying uuuhhhhhh. Big deal.

Edit: note to self. Why are you defending Liverpool's manager on Redcafe. Only darkness, this path will bring.
I thought of mentioning it, but figured 'what's the point' before actually posting. ;)

Very few people have that level of interpersonal skills. Klopp would've been worshipped here as well. No shame for Slot to fall short on that front.

But explicitly calling out specific players this early into his job is a strange one for any manger.

To play into stereotypes Dutch people can often be blunt, no qualms about saying exactly what they feel. Not sure it's the best idea for managers though!

Shots fired?

More disrespectful to Nottingham Forest and that. I can understand why he did it against United, its an easy win with the fans, beating a team 3-0 and saying this is how we played. I didnt see any sort of tactical breakdown after the loss?

More disrespectful to Nottingham Forest and that. I can understand why he did it against United, its an easy win with the fans, beating a team 3-0 and saying this is how we played. I didnt see any sort of tactical breakdown after the loss?
What did he say about Forest? I only saw the post United thing, because all Dutch football shows replayed it 50 times. The battle of the balds is a bit of a thing here. Especially since both Pool and United are very Dutch at the moment.

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly.

I don't think Liverpool are as big or as attractive as Manchester United, the two Spanish giants, and arguably not even Bayern too. And they're only more attractive than the Italian big 3, because of the significant financial superiority. And let's be honest, both Arsenal and Chelsea can beat them to a signing most times, even if the two London clubs aren't going through a successful period at the time. But on paper, they should be at least a top 5 biggest club, with a lot of players even outside the British Isles dreaming to play for them, because of the 6 CL titles and all the domestic honours.

However, what many people might not consider important, but it's crucial IMO , is that they won 80% of their major trophies just before football become a global phenomenon in the 90s, and it has been growing ever since. In this era of the last ~35 years, they only had 1 really good era, which lasted around 5 years: from 2017 until 2022. And even in those years, their "pull" was massively boosted by Klopp as undoubtedly one of the best managers in the world, who most players would love to work with.

Coincidentally, United became ultra-successful exactly in that period, and started a 21 year long era of dominance at the perfect time. That's why the club that knocked Liverpool off their perch, but has fewer CL titles, has a bigger worldwide fanbase, generates more clicks, plays in a bigger stadium, has more money, is able to maintain a larger wage bill if they want to (we've trimmed it quite a bit in the last 24 months, but usually ours is way higher, and I think that will be the case before too long again).

But I don't want to derail this thread to be a United vs Liverpool size comparison discussion, and one of the helping circumstances I just mentioned for Liverpool, actually also applies to United and all the clubs in the league: financial superiority being basically one of the only things making them more attractive than the Italian big three, because the PL has been the de facto Super League for a long time now. I just gave one example where a club in my opinion is the bigger club despite less European trophies, because of how much more successful they've been in the last 35 years, whereas with Liverpool it's the opposite. Also, does anyone think Liverpool would've been able to attain names like Di María, Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Mourinho, Casemiro, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, without CL football? I don't think so, even if it's not their MO anyways. And yes, I know they didn't work out, but that's not the point here. De Ligt is another example. Also some big names with CL football, that I don't believe Liverpool would've had a shot at: Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo, Maguire vs City, Sánchez vs City, Mount vs other English clubs. And funnily enough, Yoro, but that was mostly just a question of finances, however I do think we would've still got him if Liverpool matched our offer.

But what I've just said is obviously also true for many other clubs:

-Barcelona wouldn't be the second biggest club in the world (at least in my opinion) without the golden era of 2006-2015, where they had the greatest player of all time, and a few other all-timer players as well, most of them coming from their own academy, 4 CLs in 9 years, the greatest tactical pioneer of the least 40 years in Pep, etc. so their modern era peak is also crucial for their reputation today.

-Madrid wouldn't objectively be considered as far and away the biggest club in world football, if their CL drought didn't end in 2014, or they only would've won 1 or 2 in the last 11 years instead of 6, and if the Ronaldo era didn't happen, or was much less successful.

-The same goes for Bayern, they got their shit together around 2008/2009 after some bad years, and have been part of the European elite basically every season since than. If that didn't happen, or was a much less successful period, they wouldn't be the giant they are today.

-Atletico wouldn't be where they are either, if they didn't manage to build themselves up to a much bigger club status under Simeone in the last 13-14 years.

-Milan have 3 CL titles and had dozens of legends play for them, forming legendary teams from between the early 90s until the early 2010s. Juventus also really needed the decade of dominance in the 2010s and being the only real Italian threat in Europe. Chelsea being a London club and the 2000s team with Mourinho, Arsenal's late 1990s and early 2000s teams + Wenger, etc.

I only listed these examples to prove that it's not necessarily just my United bias conveniently creating a timeline where Liverpool's most successful era is not that important, whereas the inception of our most successful era is conveniently the period from where achievements start mattering more. All of these clubs needed the modern era success to become what they are today, not just United. And I feel like Liverpool's 1 PL and 1 CL title in 5 years was not enough to elevate them into a top 3/5 club in the world, despite having an all-timer manager and a few all-timer players at the club. If City weren't around, it would've been obviously different, as the post-SAF era in England would've been all about Liverpool and Klopp basically, or at least most of it.

Overall, Slot has a difficult job on his hand because I do believe most Liverpool fans believe they are a bigger club than they are in reality, and the finances aren't there either to compete with United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Madrid, Bayern, PSG, and maybe Barca eventually as well.

Sorry for the long post, it basically just agrees with yours and expands on it a little bit :lol:

I really enjoy your posts here but just disagree a bit here

United signed those stars in dry spells ie Casemiro, Varane etc because of the ridiculous wages they offer to crocks and has beens which no other club does. When United blew a massive chunk on Casemiro I was blasted by Utd fans when I said his legs would give way and you'd be left with a player on huge wages who noone wants. Same with Maguire and Sancho whos wages are a massive hindrance. And nowadays players follow where the money is. Which is why midtable PL clubs beat or buy out players from top clubs in Italy for instance.

You think Robinho, Adebayor, Nasri, Clichy, Tevez cared for City's "history"? No. They went where the money is.

The wages thing above I don't think any Utd fan will disagree with me either since it's been a big issue.

United signed those stars in dry spells ie Casemiro, Varane etc because of the ridiculous wages they offer to crocks and has beens which no other club does. When United blew a massive chunk on Casemiro I was blasted by Utd fans when I said his legs would give way and you'd be left with a player on huge wages who noone wants. Same with Maguire and Sancho whos wages are a massive hindrance. And nowadays players follow where the money is. Which is why midtable PL clubs beat or buy out players from top clubs in Italy for instance.

You think Robinho, Adebayor, Nasri, Clichy, Tevez cared for City's "history"? No. They went where the money is.

The wages thing above I don't think any Utd fan will disagree with me either since it's been a big issue.

Quite interesting you say this. I can agree that we overpaid, but like you mention with City, when you are not competing at the top table, you need to offer something else, in most cases its higher wages. Players follow money but Liverpool doubled or tripled the wage offer for Zubamendi but he didn't follow the money?

Also, I would like you to look at the highest wages paid in the PL, Liverpool are up there probably higher than United right now, this notion that Liverpool fans think that they pay peanuts is false.

Also, you can talk about you dont sign players because of their high wages but you wouldn't chase a player (Bellingham, Tchouameni) if you didnt know what the players wage demands were?

You have a point, but United having more money than Liverpool is also one of the symptoms of them being the much more successful team in the 1990s and 2000s.

Also, there are some players who will rather go to the historic club over the likes of City. Rice and Bellingham are the two best recent examples. It might be generally true, but not in every case. The preferences are different for every player. I doubt Liverpool would've been able to sign Pogba, for example, even if they wanted to, and were willing to pay big wages, back in 2016. And don't forget that United have both money and history. As soon as we become as attractive as City and Arsenal currently are sporting-wise as well, we'll be the best suited club IMO to rival Barcelona's and Madrid's greatness and attractiveness...but they'll still win it out because of their geographical advantage.

Btw: You enjoy my posts because I praise Arsenal a little bit more than most other posters are willing to, don't you? :lol:

Last edited: