Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

It's a crumbling defeat. Nottingham Forest played brilliantly they were absolutely solid at the back.

After proclaiming him as the new Pep, now people are going overboard in the other direction saying he's a fraud and going to get sacked soon, etc. :lol:

He's a good manager IMO, and the real problem for Liverpool will be FSG. They seem to be completely content with throwing away years from the primes of Salah, van Dijk, Alisson, and Trent, instead of adding a couple of quality players to the squad which would enable them to seriously compete for the title. Instead of building on these 4 players, they're content with just them dragging Liverpool to top 4 finishes, but not much more than that.

This season, their ceiling is 3rd and a similar season to last one IMO, and I don't see them dropping below fifth, and even that is the worst case scenario probably. However, the going will get tough as soon as one or more from the core quartet leaves. They won't be able to replace any of them adequately.

The stock of a team and manager is judged not so much in the wins they rack up but in how they respond to defeat. Defeats can happen for many reasons. Today he was out coached, in simple fashion. Forest packed the midfield and Liverpool had no answer except to push their full backs higher. Forest countered by sending on two speedy wingers to exploit the gaps and peg them back. It worked like a charm. Simple and effective.

It wasn’t a question of if this would happen, it was a question of when. What’s more interesting is how he responds to it. The season is four games old. Zero conclusions to be drawn at this point. He’s going to experience many more difficult days like these, against so called “weaker teams” in the PL than he ever experienced before in his career. The measure of him is how he adapts to the challenge, and how he responds to these defeats. I imagine it’ll be close to a full season until one can draw any meaningful conclusions as to how good of a coach he is. Unless either they soar or the wheels fall off. Failing such definitive events, I suspect we’ll see a gradual evolution of this Liverpool team and it’ll take 6-9 months to judge the quality of his work.

Haven't been impressed with him whatsoever. He's had a piss easy start and the media wank fest has been hilarious. We were absolutely atrocious against them and they still didn't look too great.

It'll be a top 4 battle for them and the drop off from Klopp is massive, despite what some deluded Liverpool fans and media lick arses will try to tell you.
It reminds me of Moyes' first PL game with us where we whipped Swansea City 4-1 and many people thought we'd just carry on as per normal.

Ohhhh, how they were wrong.

Slot’s been Liverpool manager for a few months and has been given £10 million to spend. He’s won three of his opening four games.

ETH is in his third season, finished 8th last year and has been given hundreds of millions to spend, and at the start of his third season has lost two games already.
Comparing him to ten hag yourself. Nice. Good to see you being dragged down to our level already. From here onwards, life is really shit. Good times are back.:drool:

Comparing him to ten hag yourself. Nice. Good to see you being dragged down to our level already. From here onwards, life is really shit. Good times are back.:drool:
I mean he’s Dutch, bald and came from the same league.

The stock of a team and manager is judged not so much in the wins they rack up but in how they respond to defeat. Defeats can happen for many reasons. Today he was out coached, in simple fashion. Forest packed the midfield and Liverpool had no answer except to push their full backs higher. Forest countered by sending on two speedy wingers to exploit the gaps and peg them back. It worked like a charm. Simple and effective.

It wasn’t a question of if this would happen, it was a question of when. What’s more interesting is how he responds to it. The season is four games old. Zero conclusions to be drawn at this point. He’s going to experience many more difficult days like these, against so called “weaker teams” in the PL than he ever experienced before in his career. The measure of him is how he adapts to the challenge, and how he responds to these defeats. I imagine it’ll be close to a full season until one can draw any meaningful conclusions as to how good of a coach he is. Unless either they soar or the wheels fall off. Failing such definitive events, I suspect we’ll see a gradual evolution of this Liverpool team and it’ll take 6-9 months to judge the quality of his work.
Why did we decide to play game against them.. we should have packed our midfield too..
With the good teams you have to do that ..

Slot’s been Liverpool manager for a few months and has been given £10 million to spend. He’s won three of his opening four games.

ETH is in his third season, finished 8th last year and has been given hundreds of millions to spend, and at the start of his third season has lost two games already.

Slot is a very solid coach. Can get the best out of (many) players and build a strong squad while not losing his head.
He helped Feyenoord reach a very high level at times, with players like Stengs playing to their potential more often than he possibly ever had post-injury. Here you can see him get more out of players like Gravenberch than even Klopp could.

This could have him reach level with Liverpool if things go their way. But things don't always do that. But I can see them keep a good level the longer he stays, especially if the squad stays balanced and Klopp adapts more to the PL needs. Perhaps even this season he could build a foundation strong enough to win or get close to significant silverware.

But I don't think he will create a super-team that will mesmerize for years. But the question is whether he will. In theory I think both are at the right club, but in their current standings, ETH and Slot at the opposite clubs could have improved both a lot. As I think Slot is better at raising the foundation, while ETH is better at raising the ceiling. Mismatches can always happen, but even more than 2 years on I believe this to still hold truth. But a Liverpool with a strong foundation ready, ETH could get them playing at a higher level, while Slot would do much better at (((re)re)re)building Man Utd. ETH has built strong squads from (sort of) scratch and Slot has shown very high levels for teams of the AZ and Feyenoord caliber, and clearly outclassed us before the break. But I don't think he could build the two Ajaxes of ETH that removed the surprise element of them beating teams like Madrid or Juventus.

Still not saying he can do that again, but even if ETH will prove more that his MU career isn't successful, I still see them surprising more people after another month or two than I see Slot outclassing Pep, Arteta, Ancelotti etc.

So far Slot is actually showing more promise, and what's what counts in these competitive fields, so make of my jibber-jabber what you will, but this is basically my analysis of their manager type. The genius in the right conditions, but who'd drown in the wrong setting, and the highly capable stoic that enthusiastically tries to perfect his team and their overall play.

Basically I am saying that if I'd bet for someone, it'd be ETH. If I had to bet against someone, however, that would also be Ten Hag.
(So, basically: Top4? Bet on Slot. Top1? Bet on ETH)

Don't gamble, though, it's bad. And I hope it works out for the both of them. It's nice to have varying personalities around and differing styles. Even though ETH cooperated with Pep a bit at Bayern (II), I hope that the whole league won't be Pep's former assistants.

This fraud was giving out instructions on tactics a few week ago only to lose to forest this week, first time at Anfield in like 55 years :lol: Where’s your tactics now?

This fraud was giving out instructions on tactics a few week ago only to lose to forest this week, first time at Anfield in like 55 years :lol: Where’s your tactics now?

These sort of stats are pathetic when they're thrown out about us and its the same here. Forest haven't even been the PL for well over 20 years :lol: it's so meaningless.

These sort of stats are pathetic when they're thrown out about us and its the same here. Forest haven't even been the PL for well over 20 years :lol: it's so meaningless.
True. But it still sounds hilarious when it’s one of our rivals breaking them records rather than us.

I'm praying on his downfall eversince I saw his smug face acting like a genius tactico
Ye he thought he could tell everyone our tactics in 2 minutes. Meanwhile he couldn’t outsmart forest and score. Tactic genius

Ye he thought he could tell everyone our tactics in 2 minutes. Meanwhile he couldn’t outsmart forest and score. Tactic genius
Yeah I thought this was really arrogant of him. Nice to see him eat some humble pie so soon afterwards.

Why did we decide to play game against them.. we should have packed our midfield too..
With the good teams you have to do that ..
Ole said it on the overlap a few weeks ago when he was asked the same question. "We are Manutd, we can't play that way against anyone at home" Utd lost 5-0.

I do agree with you, we need to change tactics against them. We have only beat them once in 13 PL games and most have them have been proper beatings.

I don't give a feck if we put 10 men behind the ball again them. I hate losing to those feckers, and I hate it even more when they have been taking the piss by smashing in goals like fun.

He had the chance to break a record yesterday and be the only manager to win the first 4 premier league games without conceding. He’s on the list with 3 managers to win his first 3 without conceding.

He had the chance to break a record yesterday and be the only manager to win the first 4 premier league games without conceding. He’s on the list with 3 managers to win his first 3 without conceding.
Meaningless records!

I'm praying on his downfall eversince I saw his smug face acting like a genius tactico

Yeah I thought this was really arrogant of him. Nice to see him eat some humble pie so soon afterwards.

Agreed, that whole spectacle was quite disgusting and a massive show of arrogance and disrespect (whatever you think of Ten Hag) from someone who hasn’t proved anything yet. You just don’t do that shit especially when you’re new to the league.

Worse were the pundits hanging on his every word like he was the Dalai Lama and the likes of Carragher instantly switching to talking about him like he’s an elite tactician (and hinting that tactically he’s a step up from Klopp) for the past two weeks.

All he did was point out what half this forum were pointing out, which is very easy to do after you’ve won the game. Where was his masterclass tactical breakdown post match for yesterday?

It is and always was likely that Liverpool would suffer post Klopp. Klopp was built into some kind of world class manager who was amongst the best two in the world. Reality is that he has one PL title. However he is a Liverpool legend and they’re Fergie. Their players and fans rightly adore him. It does not help that they did not open the check book and really back Slot in the market. The squad needed fired up. They will be ok though and get top 4 there’s too much quality there.

It is and always was likely that Liverpool would suffer post Klopp. Klopp was built into some kind of world class manager who was amongst the best two in the world. Reality is that he has one PL title. However he is a Liverpool legend and they’re Fergie. Their players and fans rightly adore him. It does not help that they did not open the check book and really back Slot in the market. The squad needed fired up. They will be ok though and get top 4 there’s too much quality there.
Diaz is a 1 in 4 striker. Jota is a 1 in 3. Nunez is 1 in 3. Gakpo 1 in 4.

This was under klopp.

They are screwed if Salah has a bad season. Top 4 isnt certain.

Last edited:
That makes it an even better stat surely? In that they've been so crap for a lot of that 55 years they've not even been able to play them.

It was always going to be question and still is what happens when Klopp shadow disapear. The more time it pass by, the more Slot team it becomes. What happens when you start drawing or losing games? When fans start wondering? They have some nice games now. After that the real test will come.

Agreed, that whole spectacle was quite disgusting and a massive show of arrogance and disrespect (whatever you think of Ten Hag) from someone who hasn’t proved anything yet. You just don’t do that shit especially when you’re new to the league.

Worse were the pundits hanging on his every word like he was the Dalai Lama and the likes of Carragher instantly switching to talking about him like he’s an elite tactician (and hinting that tactically he’s a step up from Klopp) for the past two weeks.

All he did was point out what half this forum were pointing out, which is very easy to do after you’ve won the game. Where was his masterclass tactical breakdown post match for yesterday?
100%. Think he got to complacent. Of course the media and especially Carragher was bigging him up though after his first 3 games. The next big thing since Klopp apparently.

Surprised the thread title hasn’t already been updated to “Arne Slot | Liverpool Manager (Sack Watch)”
It's always a gamble with the Slots. You may win a bit initially but overall you always end up losing more. Let's see how he handles the pressure now that his team has lost a home game in just his fourth game in charge. Welcome to the Premier League, Arne Slot. Let the (Sack Watch) begin

It was a crushing defeat. That wiped the smile off his face. The question now is, how will he handle this earth-shattering defeat? We'll see how they perform in the Milan game.