Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

What a ridiculous headline to write after 2 late-ish goals to beat a side who were in league one 16 months ago.

You'd think they'd just beaten prime Barcelona.

I admittedly only watched the first half but liv were very ordinary, that headline on bbc is way over the top @ breath taking
We were very ordinary in the first half. Slot said as much in the post match interview as well.

We were quite good in the second half.

Haha. Is that next game the one where we had like 47 crosses and still scored a grand total of 0 goals?
81 crosses.

There was a video where all the crosses were sped up and set to the Benny Hill theme, but can't find it now. was a true classic.

Screenshot-20240818-013442-com-android-chrome.jpg

ffs...

The scouse media bias is real…

Meanwhile knives are already out for Ten Hag even though we started with a win in a game we should have scored 3 or 4 in.

The giveaway is when you see pundits and journos seriously comparing the Fulham game to the Wolves opener last season… absolute bollocks.

From the highlights it looked like they weren't great in the first half, but in the second half they looked much more dangerous in attack and cut Ipswich to ribbons.

They were poor in the first half not registering a single shot on target and Ipswich could easilly have been ahead at half time, in the 2nd half it took them 20 minutes to register a shot on target and that was only after Ipswich started to run out of steam so ive no idea where Peter Crouch got "breathtaking" from.

Honestly wouldn't even read into the Ipswich game too much, they look like they're going to really struggle to score goals in this league.

The scouse media bias is real…

Meanwhile knives are already out for Ten Hag even though we started with a win in a game we should have scored 3 or 4 in.

The giveaway is when you see pundits and journos seriously comparing the Fulham game to the Wolves opener last season… absolute bollocks.
I don’t see it that way. It was Crouch just being an ex player being a tad bias. I wouldn’t say the knives are out for ETH but it is his third year and he set futility records last season and he’s spent a load of money in three years so of course the thought is united would not let that continue if he falters again. The media and everyone else can see that. That’s not being so called ABU.

Wasn't he one of the bald twats that bow at each other in RAWK "I dun believe it" gif?

I don’t see it that way. It was Crouch just being an ex player being a tad bias. I wouldn’t say the knives are out for ETH but it is his third year and he set futility records last season and he’s spent a load of money in three years so of course the thought is united would not let that continue if he falters again. The media and everyone else can see that. That’s not being so called ABU.
The difference between United and Liverpool pundits is stark. United pundits tend to hold their team to a higher standard, and can actually be overly critical at times. Liverpool pundits seem incapable of being objective, and feel the need to sugarcoat all of their observations.

The difference between United and Liverpool pundits is stark. United pundits tend to hold their team to a higher standard, and can actually be overly critical at times. Liverpool pundits seem incapable of being objective, and feel the need to sugarcoat all of their observations.
I don’t know about that. Neville is obviously bias towards united but seems to go out of his way to criticize them unmercifully. But isn’t that over the top? Like he’s looking for recognition amongst his peers to look non bias when it comes of kind of phony? The Liverpool pundits just will no do that. Anyway it’s literally the first weekend and there’s already moaning about the media.

We were shite in the first half yesterday, but the second half was much better.
Quansah is going to be a very good defender, but he won almost nothing in the first half.
Second half, we seemed much more comfortable on the ball, but it's going to be an up and down season. If we have a first half like that against almost any other team, the game will be out of sight before we get a chance to regroup.
I said before that Top 4 has to be our aim, and I still believe that. Its going to be a season of transition for us, but I'm optimistic for the future.

Better track record of what exactly? Staying in the same club for a long time?

Slot won the league and the dutch cup with Feyenoord. He was manager of the year two years in a row in Holland. What had Moyes won at that point? You can also see some sort of a system under Slot. They arent as quick as moving the ball as they were under Klopp but you can see a bit more patient game and possession based football. What system did Moyes employ at Everton and what did he employ when he was at United? That move was going to fail from day one. That was an idiotic appointment from Fergie and United.
He had overperformed at Everton for several years and since then they've spent fortunes to get worse results and flirt with relegation. Winning the Dutch league doesn't prove you're good enough to succeed in the Premier league just because it counts as winning "something". I'd rather hire DeZerbi than Neil Lennon even if he won the SPL. As for system, Moyes used the typical British counter-attacking style.

He had overperformed at Everton for several years and since then they've spent fortunes to get worse results and flirt with relegation. Winning the Dutch league doesn't prove you're good enough to succeed in the Premier league just because it counts as winning "something". I'd rather hire DeZerbi than Neil Lennon even if he won the SPL. As for system, Moyes used the typical British counter-attacking style.
Soooo like I said he stayed at a club for longer time than Slot. Plenty of coaches overachieve at a club they are at. That doesn’t mean they deserve the job at United.

Secondly, I never said winning in Holland means he is going to win and be successful in England. That wasn’t even the topic of discussion. I said Slot had achieved more than Moyes at the time they both took their respective jobs, which is still true and will never change no matter how much you downplay the Dutch league.

Thirdly, winning in Holland and Scotland is not the same thing and you know it. The Dutch league is arguably a top 5 league in Europe. The likes of LVG, Hiddink, Ten Hag, Cruyff, Rijkard etc have all come from Holland. So it’s definitely not as shit as you make it out to be. Don’t clutch at straws when trying to make an argument.

Last edited:
Breathtaking football my arse. We played better against Fulham
No you weren't. I've watched both matches.

Yes Liverpool's first half was horrible but the 2nd half it was 2-3 gears faster than United has played against Fulham. I support both clubs since both clubs have a Dutch manager. Erik Ten Hag is a great tactical coach but Slot is soooo much better in communication and maybe just as good of a tactician. But to say that United plays better is simply not true. Liverpool is EXTREMELY deadly with their attacks once it all falls into its place, I can see them finish 2nd and maybe even win the league as Slot is known to improve his team heavily during the season, with or without new players.

Soooo like I said he stayed at a club for longer time than Slot. Plenty of coaches overachieve at a club they are at. That doesn’t mean they deserve the job at United.

Secondly, I never said winning in Holland means he is going to win and be successful in England. That wasn’t even the topic of discussion. I said Slot had achieved more than Moyes at the time they both took their respective jobs, which is still true and will never change no matter how much you downplay the Dutch league.

Thirdly, winning in Holland and Scotland is not the same thing and you know it. The Dutch league is arguably a top 5 league in Europe. The likes of LVG, Hiddink, Ten Hag, Cruyff, Rijkard etc have all come from Holland. So it’s definitely not as shit as you make it out to be. Don’t clutch at straws when trying to make an argument.
I never said he deserved the job at United. I'm saying he was as deserving of it as Slot is of the Liverpool job (i.e. not much). Stayed at and overachieved at aren't the same thing.

You said winning the Dutch league meant he'd achieved more than Moyes had. He hasn't. He's had a couple of years in management and won a much weaker league once while at one of their biggest clubs during a COVID disrupted season and wasnt among the main candidates when the job was first announced. Moyes had over a decade in English football and was frequently chosen as the manager of the year by the other managers.

The Dutch league is better than the Scottish league and the Premier league is similarly better than the Dutch league. Neil Lennon is as qualified for Ajax as Slot is for Liverpool. It doesn't matter how many good managers came from there either. Plenty of good footballers are Brazilian but that doesn't make Antony the next Ronaldo.

They've taken a gamble on Slot the same way we did with Moyes. That's what I'm saying. No need to be annoyed.

Yes Liverpool's first half was horrible but the 2nd half it was 2-3 gears faster than United has played against Fulham. I support both clubs since both clubs have a Dutch manager. Erik Ten Hag is a great tactical coach but Slot is soooo much better in communication and maybe just as good of a tactician. But to say that United plays better is simply not true. Liverpool is EXTREMELY deadly with their attacks once it all falls into its place, I can see them finish 2nd and maybe even win the league as Slot is known to improve his team heavily during the season, with or without new players.
Whenever a new manager comes to the Premier league people who support the league they came from normally talk them up. I heard Italian journalists talk up Conte when he was hired at Spurs and dismiss the idea that he would have a tantrum and leave. I heard German journalists say Ragnick was exactly what United needed. They were both wrong.

Even British journalists try and support British managers when they get a big job or have some success (e.g. Lampard, Gerard).

I'm skeptical whenever people who follow the same league that a new PL manager comes from hype them up because they're usually wrong.

I never said he deserved the job at United. I'm saying he was as deserving of it as Slot is of the Liverpool job (i.e. not much). Stayed at and overachieved at aren't the same thing.

You said winning the Dutch league meant he'd achieved more than Moyes had. He hasn't. He's had a couple of years in management and won a much weaker league once while at one of their biggest clubs during a COVID disrupted season and wasnt among the main candidates when the job was first announced. Moyes had over a decade in English football and was frequently chosen as the manager of the year by the other managers.

The Dutch league is better than the Scottish league and the Premier league is similarly better than the Dutch league. Neil Lennon is as qualified for Ajax as Slot is for Liverpool. It doesn't matter how many good managers came from there either. Plenty of good footballers are Brazilian but that doesn't make Antony the next Ronaldo.

They've taken a gamble on Slot the same way we did with Moyes. That's what I'm saying. No need to be annoyed.
Man UTD has taken much more of a gamble with Ten Hag than Liverpool did with Slot. If you know both of these coaches well enough, you would realize that Slot is actually the perfect fit for Liverpool. Whether he will be succesful or not is a different story, but yes he is the right character for the club.
Whenever a new manager comes to the Premier league people who support the league they came from normally talk them up. I heard Italian journalists talk up Conte when he was hired at Spurs and dismiss the idea that he would have a tantrum and leave. I heard German journalists say Ragnick was exactly what United needed. They were both wrong.

Even British journalists try and support British managers when they get a big job or have some success (e.g. Lampard, Gerard).

I'm skeptical whenever people who follow the same league that a new PL manager comes from hype them up because they're usually wrong.
It's slightly different though. I don't recall any of these called managers put up the numbers that Slot has done. If you analyze literally everything from Slot, you'd know why Liverpool went for him. There aren't that many of coaches you can see a clear line of progress and way of play, over and over, sell of almost an entire team and do the same good job again and again. Getting better and better during the season. I'm not trying to talk him up. But I'd bet my house on Slot for him to become succesful, that's how certain I am about him. It's commonly known that scouts in The Netherlands undervalue Slot's players because they always look better than they are in reality. It's the outcome of his philosophy which he stated again post match with Ipswich, he said ''when the team functions, the individuals will perform better''. Ten Hag may be brilliant at times and I'm a big fan, but he isn't the complete package. Let's see how it unfolds, I'll be back happily in 6 months to see where everyone stands

Man UTD has taken much more of a gamble with Ten Hag than Liverpool did with Slot. If you know both of these coaches well enough, you would realize that Slot is actually the perfect fit for Liverpool. Whether he will be succesful or not is a different story, but yes he is the right character for the club.

It's slightly different though. I don't recall any of these called managers put up the numbers that Slot has done. If you analyze literally everything from Slot, you'd know why Liverpool went for him. There aren't that many of coaches you can see a clear line of progress and way of play, over and over, sell of almost an entire team and do the same good job again and again. Getting better and better during the season. I'm not trying to talk him up. But I'd bet my house on Slot for him to become succesful, that's how certain I am about him. It's commonly known that scouts in The Netherlands undervalue Slot's players because they always look better than they are in reality. It's the outcome of his philosophy which he stated again post match with Ipswich, he said ''when the team functions, the individuals will perform better''. Ten Hag may be brilliant at times and I'm a big fan, but he isn't the complete package. Let's see how it unfolds, I'll be back happily in 6 months to see where everyone stands

I wouldn't get too carried away. This team is very much a Klopp team and anyone would expect to beat Ipswich comfortably. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out.

Last edited:
They were poor in the first half not registering a single shot on target and Ipswich could easilly have been ahead at half time, in the 2nd half it took them 20 minutes to register a shot on target and that was only after Ipswich started to run out of steam so ive no idea where Peter Crouch got "breathtaking" from.
They scored 15 minutes into the second half. Must have been a feat scoring without hitting the target!

well when conte first came to the Premier league, he won the title at a canter.

Because United pundits have been playing under the greatest manager of all time. So their is no place for sugarcoating in their heads. To stay at the top you need to do better even if you are winning.

I think you're exaggerating and not taking context into consideration at all. It was Ipswich, a team everyone knows will go down, playing an insanely high line against which Liverpool took about 55 mins before even registering a shot on target. Once they got the opening goal they were more fluid, sure, but they were also particularly bad (much moreso than Utd, against a much, much weaker side) up until then. Utd had a good performance against a middle-tableish team, with a bit of a dip in second half (but nothing as bad as Liverpool).

I can see the trend @Tyrion mentioned becoming a thing, Dutch posters wanting to appear more knowledgeable than others on the manager (which you obviously are) but saying he's a better fit for Liverpool than Ten Hag was for Utd is strange and doesn't really mean anything. We'll see in time whether that's the case.

I know it's only Ipswich and all, but I do think they deserve some credit for how average we were too in the first half. they were really well set up tactically.

It was Ipswich, a team everyone knows will go down, playing an insanely high line against which Liverpool took about 55 mins before even registering a shot on target. Once they got the opening goal they were more fluid, sure, but they were also particularly bad (much moreso than Utd, against a much, much weaker side) up until then.
I've seen us being "particularly bad" and Saturday didn't register on that scale.

We were excellent basically from the start of the second half. We pinned them back from the outset of the second half and it had been a shooting tent for five minutes before the first goal, it hardly came out of nowhere.

I know it's only Ipswich and all, but I do think they deserve some credit for how average we were too in the first half. they were really well set up tactically.
I've seen us being "particularly bad" and Saturday didn't register on that scale.

We were excellent basically from the start of the second half. We pinned them back from the outset of the second half and it had been a shooting tent for five minutes before the first goal, it hardly came out of nowhere.
They were, McKenna is obviously a good manager and I think they'll look good quite often this season, but the quality is just several notches below most teams. And as "good" as they were, there were obvious issues, notably their high line, and you took a long time to exploit that, a mix of poor tactics and individuals not having great games, which can be excused to an extent by the fact it's the beginning of the season.

I think you're downplaying how bad your first half was, but at the end of the day it's opinions.

I'll also say that had Utd faced this Ipswich team playing so open, it would have suited us and I think we would have looked much better than we did against Fulham. I don't think Ipswich will remain so open as the season progresses, I think they'll wise up and defend a bit better, but it was the perfect opponent to face as a season opener - enthusiastic team wanting to play the same way they did last season.

Ipswich were very motivated indeed. You'd expect that since it's their first top flight football game in more than two decades. However, there isn't enough quality in that team to sustain this through the season and there wasn't really any plan in the game except to break up Liverpool's game in the first half. I'd be very surprised if they don't get relegated back. Honestly, even finishing bottom will reflect on McKenna well in the long run and he will be viewed favorably for what he's achieved.

I think they had a plan. they created decent opportunities in the first half. They just lacked the quality to convert those into genuine chances, let alone clear goalscoring opportunities.

They really need a quality attacker or two.

I think you're downplaying how bad your first half was, but at the end of the day it's opinions.

I think it was in the mild end of 'bad', the kind that makes you think you wasted 45 minutes watching it and the players wasted 45 minutes playing it, rather than the kind that makes you think the wheels have fallen off.

There were a few horror passes in there that I suppose a better team might have made us sweat more over, but overall it was just lacklustre.

They scored 15 minutes into the second half. Must have been a feat scoring without hitting the target!

Sorry you are correct it was 15 minutes not 20, still taking 15 minutes to register your first short on target of the half after not registering any in the first half isnt very good especially with Liverpool's level of attackers against this kind of opposition.

Sorry you are correct it was 15 minutes not 20, still taking 15 minutes to register your first short on target of the half after not registering any in the first half isnt very good especially with Liverpool's level of attackers against this kind of opposition.

I think that's clinging a bit too much to statistics to tell the story of the game. In the period prior to the goal, we had produced several strong chances, including diaz lobbing it over from 4 yards and a point blank header for Jota just a minute before the goal. We were on top of them from the outset of the second half.

I know it's only Ipswich but Liverpool looked impressive. Salah scores again.