Arne Slot | Liverpool manager (Posture Watch)

Must admit I’m a bit worried.

We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world that just lost one of the best managers in the world after coming up short in three competitions - to then not sign even one player (even though the needs are very obvious) and have our three most important players enter the final year of their contract is borderline criminal.

Can’t shake the feeling that Klopp left because he heard about our future “transfer strategy”.

I’ve had a shit day, so maybe I’m overreacting, tbf.
It’s my theory as well. The man was tired, probably thought I’m getting too old for this shit

Regardless of the quality of your squad, it’s always a risky business going into a new season with no fresh faces. Particularly to a back a new manager who will want to instil his own philosophy as soon as possible - in Slot’s case, one that’s drastically different to Klopp’s and one that will require different type of personnel. A ball-playing #6 like Zubimendi for example over a ball-winner like Endo.

Their squad is fairly strong though. They’re stacked with quality forwards, even if some have some consistency/injury concerns. Jota’s a quality forward and very clinical so keeping him fit is vital. They’re banking on Salah maintaining his level of form (I think there was a notable drop-off last season).

They’ve got numbers in midfield and some real quality with MacAllister and Sbozoslai though they definitely need additions. That DM is crucial as it could be suicidal going into the season without doing anything about it.

Defensively, they’ve got some brilliant players but Allison and van Dijk are getting on a bit. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see a drop-off. Alexander-Arnold is still suspect defensively and Robertson doesn’t quite seem the same player. That back line they once had is no longer looking so imperious. Centre back is a must IMO.

They did well last year (for the most part) in riding the Klopp wave but I don’t expect them to come close to City or Arsenal. I’m not sure other clubs will come close to them though. Could just be out on their own in a very lonely third place finish.

Thanks for this. All seems fair.

Do you think Van Dijk or Alexander-Arnold will extend? Noises seem to indicate Salah is less likely to, but is that likely the case?
No, I think both and Salah will leave next summer. Alisson too.
How hasn't he been backed? Beier chose Dortmund over Liverpool and zubimendi chose not to leave sociedad. We blew everyone out of the water for Yoro (Liverpool, PSG and Madrid included).

I don't think the Liverpool squad needs too much work. Buying Mamadashvalli and loaning him out for a season before he replaces Alison is sensible if it happens. Mamadashvalli is a helluva of a keeper.

Yeah Salah and VVD are the wrong side of 30, but it gives Liverpool and slot time to work out who they want for replacements. Slot wants his wide players to hold the width and Salah likes to cut inside into the half space. So I presume Liverpool will look for a right sided winger who can go inside and outside to replace him. Get one more season out of Salah under a new manager and then flog him to Saudi.

Will be interesting to see how Liverpool do under Slot. Also remains to be seen if they do something stupid like us and panic and buy their version of a Antony for double his actual value.
I mean going into the summer, we didn't need a huge amount. a defender and a no. 6 but nothing more. I wonder if we're planning ahead for a very busy summer next year. I don't think we'll panic buy late in the window.

GVCl9GYXoAAYHID

The Marmadishvilli transfer is a good piece of business. They have a ready made Alisson replacement in a couple of years

Top 3 would be a really good job done.

He's had no support for success from Hughes so far.

No, I think both and Salah will leave next summer. Alisson too.

I mean going into the summer, we didn't need a huge amount. a defender and a no. 6 but nothing more. I wonder if we're planning ahead for a very busy summer next year. I don't think we'll panic buy late in the window.

This is the only logical reason which can explain why you're not upgrading your squad this year. Then again, won't it make sense to spread the purchases out into two windows, starting from current? Are you constrained by wages or FFP or something?

Have Liverpool signed anyone yet ?
You can google the answer.
Looks like this might be the year united finish ahead with all the dosh ETH has spent. I can’t imagine Slot finishing above united with no transfers in, it would be a miracle and a disaster of epic proportions for united.

Looks like this might be the year united finish ahead with all the dosh ETH has spent. I can’t imagine Slot finishing above united with no transfers in, it would be a miracle and a disaster of epic proportions for united.

United finishing above Liverpool is nothing new or surprising. Every ManUtd manager who completed at least one season finished above Liverpool.

What a weird press conference:
Zubimendi was one of them to be fair, but he decided not to come.
In the background, [sporting director] Richard [Hughes] is trying to strengthen the squad as he can but, unfortunately, Zubimendi decided not to come
He did every effort to bring him in but, if a player decides not to come, then it's obvious he's not coming.
Unfortunately, the one we thought could help us said no.
We get it dude, we get it...

Must admit I’m a bit worried.

We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world that just lost one of the best managers in the world after coming up short in three competitions - to then not sign even one player (even though the needs are very obvious) and have our three most important players enter the final year of their contract is borderline criminal.

Can’t shake the feeling that Klopp left because he heard about our future “transfer strategy”.

I’ve had a shit day, so maybe I’m overreacting, tbf.

Kloop is (was) a truly dedicated, hard-working manager… imagine him watching week in week out his gigantic effort ending in smoke because his two main forwards, namely Nunez & Diaz, cannot convert at an acceptable rate.

Tell you what if TAA, VVD and Alisson walk for free at the same time, that’s a devastating blow to a squad with no investment

We haven't spent that much, just in comparison to your whopping 0.

I know you’re the biggest scouse wum on here but United finished above you lot just a season go. Good work though

I want to have discussions though that’s why I’m on a forum. You could say that to anyone who asks any question about anything.

I do find your lack of activity baffling though, especially with new, first time to PL manager in place. He might surprise you.

Unfortunately I think he'll do well at Liverpool. I can see them hit the ground running.

I want to have discussions though that’s why I’m on a forum. You could say that to anyone who asks any question about anything.

I do find your lack of activity baffling though, especially with new, first time to PL manager in place. He might surprise you.
Agreed. Endo is not a long term replacement for what we had with Fabinho. The problem is getting some so late in the window that the impact of whatever player we get might come too late considering the strength on City, Arsenal, and the acquisitions united made. The board couldn’t seal the deal for our main target and should have had contingencies in place. They have let Slot down in my opinion.

Do you think United have a better squad than Liverpool? I think most Liverpool fans would find that opinion quite controversial.

I also think our squad is decent and we might well finish top 4.

I just find it incredibly unambitious to do nothing at all in the transfer market when we have a new manager and he’s already shown he doesn’t rate the only 6 that we have.
Don't worry. You'll put in a joint bid for Fellaini and Baines on deadline day

Who are they rumoured to be after in the last 2 weeks?

Have to feel you'll pull something out the hat and avoid something similar to the United 2013 post-Ferguson summer where all we did was sign Fellaini on deadline day

Very good manager, think Liverpool will do quite well.