Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Inquiries ended | Back in the squad

We seem to have handled this situation a lot better than the Greenwood one in the summer. The statement heavily implies Antony will be suspended if anything more comes from the ongoing police investigations but it also makes sense not to prolong his time away from the team unless there's good reason to suspect criminality.

The guy hasn’t been charged of anything.

He was given extra time off to deal with the matter. Which he appears to have done…by answering all questions from the Police in Brazil and UK.

Try to keep the hysteria and personal opinions out of the discussion and just go off the facts we have.

Well, well... I'm surprised they managed to make a decision without Rachel Riley's and Adam Crafton's... invaluable input regarding the matter at hand. Perhaps that input is being furiously typed as we speak, though.

He should be brought back, even if I'm not exactly thrilled about it from a footballing perspective.

Last edited:
Back in the squad.

Hardly a coincidence a day after he was questioned by the police. I wouldn't be surprised if it won't be long until the police drop the case.

He's a bad footballer but he's better than nothing.

And yet we have noticed him missing.

Bad news. Don't want the scumbag back at the club!

You don't call out a doctor, your girlfriend has a ruptured implant and alleges her partner is responsible without there being some truth behind it.

Are you the top judge of the kangaroo court of social media?

Without visual/audio evidence like with Greenwood (the case was dropped, rather than found not guilty), the legal teams of overpaid PL stars will keep them out of serious trouble.

I'm sure if the alleged victims had more financial backing to be represented by the best, then they'd have some chance of justice.

I think the norm is that if the player is charged, they can still continue to play until they are arrested. What we've seen with some of our rivals players who have been accused of similar offences. If currently, there's nothing to charge Antony with, why shouldn't he continue with his employment?

In case the situation changes in the future and he get charged and/or arrested, then we can suspend him as was done with Greenwood. People take a ridiculous amount of joy in painting a picture that everything the club does is sh*t but at the moment, bringing Antony back is the correct thing to do.

Why aren't they using the Mason Greenwood rule with Antony? Why is Antony allowed back in the squad whilst eh investigation is still ongoing? I know arsenal have done that with a certain someone but why are united using one rule for Greenwood and another for Antony? Have the club got the balls to face up to the public backlash and the inevitable Rachel Riley tweets?

Are people still refusing to see the obvious difference between these two cases? Has to be right up there with the maddest shite I’ve ever seen on redcafe.

Without visual/audio evidence like with Greenwood (the case was dropped, rather than found not guilty), the legal teams of overpaid PL stars will keep them out of serious trouble.

I'm sure if the alleged victims had more financial backing to be represented by the best, then they'd have some chance of justice.

Wtf are you on about now. What a car crash of a post. You basically contradicted yourself in the first sentence.

Last edited:
Are people still refusing to see the obvious difference between these two cases? Has to be right up there with the maddest shite I’ve ever seen on redcafe.
It boils down to the popularity of the players. Greenwood good = innocent ; Antony bad = guilty.

Great news and well handled by the club by the looks of it.

Wonder if Saturday is too soon for him.

Do you realise that the main accuser is a celebrity in Brazil and likely has no issues hiring top lawyers herself?

good to see this getting cleared up quickly and getting him back to work, he will get stick from oppo fans, but what Utd player does not anyway.

I think the club has handled this very sensibly. I'm a little surprised that he's back in training but I think it is the right decision if he's not been charged with anything.

Do you know something more than the police? You seem convinced Antony did wrong.

Why not give him the benefit of doubt until he's actually charged with something?

Good to see United continuing with their tried and trusted double standards.

It is clear that the Antony situation is different from Greenwood in a number of ways. Right decision from the club here IMO. If something changes i.e. if he is charged then he should be suspended.

But what if he’s charged, then police say new evidence has come to light and drop the case?

That three separate people are accusing Antony of the same crime makes this case in some ways more compelling.

You’d need (at least) three separate people to lie to the police, with little emotional reason for doing so and consequences if they’re found to be lying.

That three separate people are accusing Antony of the same crime makes this case in some ways more compelling.

You’d need (at least) three separate people to lie to the police, with little emotional reason for doing so and consequences if they’re found to be lying.
Well haven’t two of them been retracted basically?

Two of them have already fallen apart. This isn't a multiple accusation situation.

I think one of them was dropped months before this one came up. As I remember correctly, the accuser and one of Antony friends was fighting in his car and he was involved to stop them fighting and leave her on the sidewalk.

Can we try him at Left Back?

Was really hoping to see Amrabat in midfield.

Because three separate women accusing him of domestic violence is quite a big coincidence and a co-ordinated attack if he's been a loving and non-aggressive partner to these women (if so why would they all make things up). I don't know the extent of anything he's done but it's such a wide spectrum that I doubt he's just completely innocent of shitty behaviour. I'm not saying it's enough to kick him out of the club or anything.